Walgreens Employee Reviews for Shift Leader

Walgreens
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 22, 2018
I love my walgreens family. We have kept a great environment going for the majority of the time. I have enjoyed working with the people that management successfully hired and working as a team to be a great retailer and leader in customer happiness.
A number of issues to be address
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Medford, MAFebruary 21, 2018
A typical day at walgreens is incredibly stressful. At my location in particular, there aren't enough hours to get everything done. District leaderships expects way more of us then we are physically capable of delivering.
Be careful what you ask for.
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Richmond, TXFebruary 20, 2018
The worst part and the best part of the job has to be the people. There will be some customers that will make you smile and feel good about working at Walgreens. Then there are the others. The ones that scream and holler for you to fix something that you literally have no control over.
Pros
Steady, predictable work day
Cons
Irate customers that will push every button that you have.
Good company to work for
Shift-lead (Former Employee) –  Matawan, NJFebruary 19, 2018
I learned a lot in this opportunity. It all comes down to management. If you have a good manager, he/she will be able to guide so that you be promoted. This company has a lot of great benefits, if you work hard you can receive these opportunities. However if you have a manager that hard to communicate with, it could cause you to lose moral to want to be there.
Stable place to work
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Cary, ILFebruary 16, 2018
Good company to work for. They treat their employees well and keep a low stressful environment to work in. Benefits have good coverage and you can have family members on your plans
Pros
Benefits, easy labor, friendly
Cons
Part time lacks the benefits, and part time can struggle to get hours
Retail Pharmacy
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXFebruary 16, 2018
A shift lead consist of working in different departments with different staff. This helped provide a learning experience in all departments of Walgreens making management a jack of all trades. Being able to lead team members and getting a task done feels very accomplishing. The hardest part of the job is when rush hour traffic for the store hits, the many departments calling for help, but the most enjoyable part is meeting new people and getting to know the community.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Busy pharmacy
Great Company if store was managed right
SHIFT LEAD MANAGER (Former Employee) –  AlabamaFebruary 16, 2018
I loved this job with everything I was. I wanted to advance. Poor oppertunities made this impossible. I have worked for 17 stores in the US and have worked from being a cashier to working in photo and then to be a pharmacy technician. When I became a manager things were wonderful as long as the manager was on top of everything. Being treated as an equeal is key. I made the choice to expand my horizon and find a company that really cares about its employees. We are more than just a body standing in a building.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor pay scales, bad management
very professional atmosphere willing to train employees
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAFebruary 13, 2018
This company truly invests in their employees. They spend the time and provide the resources to adequately train you, for the position.
They have a genuine concern to satisfy every customer, and it shows, with loyal customers.
Pros
leadership, positive atmosphere
Cons
departments are isolated and click-ish
Great company
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Bear, DEFebruary 13, 2018
They are very friendly and well organized always come up with new solutions and different ways to do things that can help our company i highly recommend them to anyone .
My pace, my race
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 12, 2018
It is so important for a team to work TOGETHER and exemplify what it means to be PURPOSE-DRIVEN. I found there to be more selfishness amongst management and team members which led to conflicts. Communication is essential in the development of the company. Hierarchy is exaggerated when the behaviors and capabilities are unaligned. I worked as if I was 5 people and when I needed help it wasn’t offered freely. I need to be supported with my ideas and vision whether I cashier or manage. I believe in caring, inspiring, and working together.
Pros
Frontier
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Workplace
Floor Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIFebruary 12, 2018
Great place to work, depending on the store. Sometimes you're needed in 3 places at once and there is only one of you. Granted that comes with retail, but consistently not having enough management on hand becomes extremely stressful. I did love the people I worked with, the pay was nice, and benefits were nice as well.
Review Summary
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Hutto, TXFebruary 11, 2018
This job involved management where I took on multiple responsibilities, including customer relations and cash management. I enjoyed this job communicating with the public.
good working environment
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INFebruary 11, 2018
Its nice place to work. The hours were awful. They were constantly changing. There was no way to have a life or plan things because of the ever changing hours.
Worst job I've ever had.
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 11, 2018
Worst job I've ever had. They play favorites and if your not a favorite you get pushed out. My grandpa died and I didn't even get an "I'm sorry" just when is the funeral? On your day off great we won't have to find anyone to cover you. You get stuck in the pharmacy your whole shift and then get yelled at if you don't get your stuff done. They also don't tell you that you don't get any breaks at all. I worked there 7 months and never got a break.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No breaks, gossiping, favoritism, angry customers.
Retail
Shift Team Leader/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, ILFebruary 10, 2018
The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry customers and trying to find a way to please them in a form that made them happy. The store is open 365 days a year so there were holidays that you had to work. Some days were long and boring but others were fast paced and flew by. The most enjoyable part was all of the different customers that came in and the relationships made with them and the other employees that worked for the company.
Cons
not having a set schedule and constantly changing
work life
Shift Leader/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GAFebruary 8, 2018
In any retail setting it can be great, hectic, and horrible; I love working in retail, after 35 years it says alot about me and a person to deal with customers. As with every job you have good days and bad, Walgreens is a good company to work for I have no real complaints about them as a whole.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
employees not caring about the job they were hired to do, they just want that paycheck and not work for it, and when they dont get the money they expect they complain, well dont call out or come in late
Work
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Murrysville, PAFebruary 7, 2018
Counting the safe when you get to the store do your daily task and then start taking down drawers for the day before you close and have to do a deposit and count the safe again.
Bad
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 7, 2018
I hated it. The job was so horrible. They do not care about their employees at all. The employees are also under paid. They are also unfair. I do not recommend
would not recommend
Shift Lead / Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  nopeFebruary 5, 2018
employees pulled in multiple directions do to lack of staff and budget high call out rate and turn over. management overworked and donot take care of problems and issues in store to move forward
Productive and fun place to work, can be a bit stressing
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Union City, NJFebruary 5, 2018
Daily work as a member of management has its pros and cons like just about any other job. No job is perfect and while Walgreens offers many benefits, there are some negatives as well. As a manager one must confront many situations and scenarios team members will look up to you for. Customer complaints, resolutions, fair treatment, expectations, and even answering simple to complex questions are only a portion of what working as a manager truly is.

The experience is still an amazing experience. Leading by example and proving oneself to be an excelling leader is what true management is about. Working with many transferring managers has helped improved my skills and expectations to levels I never thought were possible. My mindset from the first day as manager to currently is amazingly different. Before I was just set on getting tasks done and impress my manager for a job well done. Now it is more working together as a team and being expected to provide service as we would like to be fairly treated on if we were shopping.

The experience can be stressful too. We are expected to run just about everywhere as positions are no longer important. We are expected to know almost everything in every department including pharmacy which only adds to the layer of demand rather than expectancy. As such the overload really adds to the stress and one feels like they are not getting their worth in salary and respect from higher managers.

Overall the experience is still a good one as one learns to manage what seems like the impossible and helps improve their skills both internal and external.
  more... This helps drive individuals for future career opportunities whether within the company or elsewhere.  less
Pros
Great benefits, loads of respect from within, skills are mastered
Cons
Too much expectation and demand, not enough communication like in the early days, one often feels left out from group discussions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walgreens. Our community is ready to answer.

56.3K