Walgreens Employee Reviews for Shift Leader

Productive , fun
Shift Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Geismar, LAJune 20, 2018
Overall it was a great job . I learned a lot and the pressure of being a manager taught me there is no pressure when things are always under cogntrol.
Excellent Company
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 19, 2018
Excellent Company with strong leadership. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is the positive interaction with customers and the opportunity to make sure their their shopping experience is positive. .
A typical day at work
SHIFT LEADER (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJune 19, 2018
Assist each department to resolve customer issues
Shipping and receiving inventory
Allotting break times for employees
Opening and closing the store duties
Pros
Getting to know the ins and outs if each department
Cons
Managers are unable to take a full lunch break
Not so great
Shift lead (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, MOJune 19, 2018
Pretty bad hours and a company who does not care for their employees. Also, horrible pay. They keep adding on more work and less employees, but do not compensate with more pay.
Company fell apart
Shift Leader and Server (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2018
When I started, this company closed early on major holidays. You got to see your family. After new companies started getting involved the company lost track itself. The hours got worse, you were expected to do more work with less time and help. The management was so reckless, and unhelpful it was sad. This company may have been great 7-8 years ago, but now, I wouldn't stick around.
Pros
Fellow employees, and some customers
Cons
Healthcare sucks, management doesn't care, not enough pay, etc.
It started out as a great place to work but that changed over time. The district manager isn’t involved much at all and does not help the store much
Shift Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 18, 2018
At first I lived my job at Walgreens, but everyone went downhill very rapidly over time but especially when the store manager quit. We are often short staffed which causes managers to be on register a lot instead of helping customers.
Pros
Discounts, great employees
Cons
Short staffed a lot of the time
lotta years here
Shift Lead Manager (Former Employee) –  chicago loopJune 16, 2018
if you want to work extremely hard and make some money walgreens is a good place to start but the more you move up the less chairs there are to sit in and the pharmacists will get promoted before anybody else.
Pros
able to make a little more than minimum wage
Cons
its a company for pharmacists only in the heirarchy
Great company
Store Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 15, 2018
I just wish that our security was better and that we had the proper buget to help get more personnel. More often then not we are just swamped with customers and it makes it really hard to properly attend to them if we dont have enough people because of buget cuts.
Great Place To Work. Friendly Staff.
SFL/Shift Floor Lead (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 15, 2018
Productive and busy workplace. Always something to do to keep You busy. Nice working Staff whos always willing to Learn & Be Taught. Great Managers who are always willing to Lend A Helping Hand.
Pros
Discounts. Dress down days on Occasions.
Cons
Short breaks. Shoplifters.
Good first job
Shift Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXJune 14, 2018
Walgreen's is busy growing and buying other stores. Typically this causes stress for employees. Communication breaks down. Cuts to budgets and hours of operations are made. Stress builds. All trading is CBT, so you learn by making mistakes, not a very positive environment.
Pros
Good first job
Cons
Bad career
Productive & enjoyable workplace
Overnight Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJune 13, 2018
During overnight shifts there was plenty to do to keep my cashier and I busy all night long. Our first goal each night was to complete store condition; tasks included in that would be: cleaning bathrooms, taking out garbage, putting all product back in its place, straightening every aisle of store, filling empty spaces with product from stockroom, filling cooler and freezer, checking food dairy product out-dates, checking monthly product out-dates. Once through store condition there could be any number of goals to accomplish, from processing a truck delivery, to putting out new sale tags, building displays, pulling overstock carts etc. The most enjoyable part of the Overnight Shift Lead was being able to complete a lot of tasks and have the time to do each one well. The most difficult part of the job was also completing all of the tasks and doing them each well. Sometimes the workload could seem daunting, but working the overnight shift taught me how to delegate and prioritize better.
Pros
extra pay from 12am-6am
Cons
no breaks-at all
It all depends on the store
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Roxbury, MAJune 12, 2018
Walgreen's as a company isn't a bad place to work at all. The problem stems from the store and where it's located and the management team in charge of the store and district. I recommend this company for a first time job. I spend close to 6 years working here and given the right store and environment would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
Tons of company offered benefits PTO, most work is simple and brainless.
Cons
Bi-weekly pay, clash of ideals between in store management and upper management
Underpaid shift lead
Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 11, 2018
The company requires full availability 7 days a week in order to be an SFL but pays under $13 an hour and limits overtime. Days off are never the same and are rarely together, shifts are different almost daily. Hard to even schedule a Dr apt a few weeks out or make any plans. Often close at 11pm and open at 7am next day. Required to work weekends and holidays so managers can be off. SFL's are forced to act like management but aren't managers. Hard to manage, motivate and train $9 hr employees when the company does not train SFL's how to manage. Horrible management structure.
Pros
Coworkers, perscription coverage
Cons
Management, pay
Beware
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJune 10, 2018
Run unless you want to stay in a high school environment where hardly anybody in the store plays fair. I cannot imagine other locations being as awful as the one where I worked. Lowest class of people. Lazy coworkers overall and petty, conniving people.
bad business
Shift Lead/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 10, 2018
Walgreens as a company protects who they want to protect, if you are a regular worker your no good to them, no matter how many years you spend breaking your back for the low pay.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
In time of need they will not help.
good place to work
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Glastonbury, CTJune 10, 2018
Walgreens was a good place to work until we had a new district manager. He was the worst district manager ever. Engaged in favoritism. You had the ability to train and coach employees and manage your store.
part time is the way to go
Shift Leader/Manager (Current Employee) –  Satellite Beach, FLJune 9, 2018
Walgreens has seasons. The busy season and the slow season. During the school schedule, Walgreens are busy and you can pick up overtime. Once, summer comes, you will loose hours and become part-time if your full time and even more part-time if your part-time. There is no seasonal positions .
It all depends on which location you work at-as too the people personalities. Many employees have been with the company for over 10 years. Those are the people that will give you the "stories" on how walgreens has changed through the years. Overall, Walgreens works with you individually as to your availability.
Pros
Works with your availability
Cons
The Seasons change
Need to share the desired care level for customers to the employees
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 8, 2018
Company with strong feelings about “equality and improvement to all” leaves a lot to be desired. Focuses heavily on customer care and does this well but employees are overworked with horrible sparatic schedules making the overall atmosphere of the job seem fake.
Pros
Benefits and a barely better than average pay
Cons
Work life balance non existent and zero care about advancement unless it’s beneficial to them
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Exton, PAJune 7, 2018
When I took the shift lead position, the assistant manager and store manager left. We got a new manager and he was horrible. He made me do almost everything and I wasn't even properly trained
Decent Company
Shift Leader/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shaker Heights, OHJune 7, 2018
Okay company to work for if your a college student or looking for a part time opportunity. Not really suitable looking to sustain a lifestyle or take care of a family off of.
Pros
Promote within
Cons
low hourly wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Walgreens. Our community is ready to answer.

56.9K