WakeMed Employee Reviews

Amazing
Clinical Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCApril 17, 2018
I worked there for over 25 years and planned to retire there but was forced to move d/t my spouse's job. Wonderful culture, staff, management, and philosophy. Loved my job!
Exciting Place To Work
Nurse Aide I/Clinical Secretary (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 13, 2018
One never stops learning new things. Every single day there is something to learn. Not every day is going to be a great day. However, the staff in general are awesome and make the work day fly by. I truly love working at WakeMed. I am currently in school for Nursing though, so depending on my school schedule, will depend on if I stay at WakeMed.
Good place to work overall
CLINICAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 23, 2018
Great coworkers, very challenging keeping the doctors happy, need more schedule flexibility, management micromanaged employees.
Very diverse work environment.
Great place to work for
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 20, 2018
I enjoyed working at Wakemed providing patient care to the patients and comforting their families in their time of need. It really felt good making a difference in the patients' lives while they were enduring a hardship.
Run from this place
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 18, 2018
Horrible management. You can be first to put in for vacation a year in advance and they won't give it to you. If you question anything, they write you up! I was scheduled to be two people repeatedly. When I questioned it, I was told that I was disruptive and they wrote me up. They don't care about the employees or the patients. All I can say is run for your life.
State of the Art Heart Center and Healthcare Hospital system and excellent Physicians.
Patient Registrar Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Zebulon, NCMarch 12, 2018
A very fast pace, professional working environment that has many out patient settings and clinics to provide in patient and out patient Medical care for the local community. The most enjoyable part of the job would be helping and assisting the patients with their care and needs. The most difficult part would be the flow of patients and trying to handle and process them through the system.
Pros
Seminars and continuing educational opportunities.
Cons
Limited room for career growth
excellent
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 7, 2018
excellent hospital in community. I enjoy working with every body,. the workplace culture is super. is a good place to work and to achieve. good environment and good quality standard.
Great place for food great staff
Food Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 4, 2018
It was a great place to work with great benefits. It was a good place to meet new people. The patients are very sweet. Food was delicious. Very big place to work.
Pros
Great health insurance
Cons
Long hrs of work
Move fast
Registered Nurse-Adult Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 19, 2018
A typical day consists of periods of overwhelming boredom, paired with overwhelming insanity that can happen in 15 minutes. High expectation for continuing education
The most enjoyable part of the job
Patient Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCFebruary 13, 2018
Is working only 3-12hr shifts with 4 days off. Although your schedule is different every week you will have your schedule for at least 1-2 months out so you can plan things outside of work. This is a great starter job.
Pros
3-12's ;4 days off
Cons
no overtime pay
You are a number not a person
Patient Accounts Representative-Billing Follow-up (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 10, 2018
The job was only about meeting the goals, making your numbers, and producing things that could be measured. Doing a good job was not necessarily rewarded because to truly do Medical Billing efficiently, you must have the time to correct the claims appropriately instead of just re-billing. Wakemed didn't see the value in taking your time to do it right the first time on the front end. If you value doing the job right then don't work here.
My co workers were amazing
Nursing Assistant/ Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCFebruary 4, 2018
I loved working at Wakemed Cary. They are patient centered. Most of the employees work well together like family. I would recommend Wakemed Cary to anyone.
WakeMed Shows Potential
Education Quality/Assurance (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 30, 2018
Wake Med from the beginning was OK. I have worked at Wake Med for three years and every year I had a job. My second job was not really a choice as my first position was cut due to budget constraints. Though it was not my choice I gained great experience. Depending on who you are and who you know will factor in when it comes to growth.
Pros
Accruing PDO every pay period, Discounts, Insurance is OK
Cons
Lack of Growth, Low Pay
Nice coworkers, horrible management, no concern for employee safety
Nurse (Current Employee) –  RaleighJanuary 18, 2018
During the recent snow storm my manager stated that the Wake Med policy states that employees are expected to make it to work during inclement weather. Period. After fish tailing in my car trying to get to work and feeling very unsafe, I called to tell my manager I would not be making it in, as it would be risking my safety to do so. She reiterated the Wake Med policy and stated for me this meant I should have come to work a day early, 30 hours before my shift, as the snow storm was starting incidently, and slept on a cot provided by Wake Med, in order to report for work for an 8 hr evening shift the next day. Because I went home after my previous shift 2 days ago and now feel unsafe driving to work today, I will face a penalty called a "double call out." This is I'm told more lenient than Wake Med's previous policy of automatic disciplinary action for call outs during unsafe weather. So if you are not willing to risk life and limb to get to work, or have a problem with arriving to work 30 hours before your shift without pay to sleep on a cot, and pay for all your meals in between and not see your family during these long time periods in order to report for your shift, and have your job security threatened because you are not willing to drive in unsafe conditions, I would not recommend you work at Wake Med.
Pros
Nice people most of the time
Cons
Ridiculous and punitive policies regarding inclement weather.
Patients first
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 17, 2018
WakeMed cares about their employees and patients.
They care about how each employee treats each other and their patients.
A typical day at work is pretty steady with great team work on board.
Horrible management and difficult staff
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 11, 2018
Experienced verbal threats and bullying which no one seemed to be concerned with. Management hardly communicated with staff. It started as a decent job but ended up horrible. I was there for 5+ years.
This is a wonderful place to work.
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse/Rapid Response Team (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 5, 2018
Wakemed has been a wonderful place to work. I have been employed for 12 years. I have grown as a Registered Nurse. The hospital is now a magnet status hospital and is committed to providing excellent healthcare to the community.
People keep coming back
RN Educator (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCDecember 31, 2017
I’ve been a staff nurse but have had great advancement opportunities. I’m non-management. I watch people leave WakeMed for other jobs locally but many return and say they didn’t appreciate what WakeMed offered until they left. My manager and director deeply care about their employees and spend time and personal money showing it. I love WakeMed Cary.
Temp Position
Interim Manager of Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 30, 2017
Challenging seeing the contractors do not go through the same training as WakeMed employees. Friendly atmosphere. WakeWay is a nice mission and value
Horrible
CLINICAL NURSE III (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCDecember 26, 2017
Do not work there at all. They do not value their employees and will overload you, expect you to be happy about it and not make any mistakes. You are constantly trying to clean up something someone left you.
Pros
money
Cons
literally everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WakeMed. Our community is ready to answer.