WakeMed Employee Reviews

Patients first
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 17, 2018
WakeMed cares about their employees and patients.
They care about how each employee treats each other and their patients.
A typical day at work is pretty steady with great team work on board.
Horrible management and difficult staff
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 11, 2018
Experienced verbal threats and bullying which no one seemed to be concerned with. Management hardly communicated with staff. It started as a decent job but ended up horrible. I was there for 5+ years.
This is a wonderful place to work.
Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse/Rapid Response Team (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 5, 2018
Wakemed has been a wonderful place to work. I have been employed for 12 years. I have grown as a Registered Nurse. The hospital is now a magnet status hospital and is committed to providing excellent healthcare to the community.
People keep coming back
RN Educator (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCDecember 31, 2017
I’ve been a staff nurse but have had great advancement opportunities. I’m non-management. I watch people leave WakeMed for other jobs locally but many return and say they didn’t appreciate what WakeMed offered until they left. My manager and director deeply care about their employees and spend time and personal money showing it. I love WakeMed Cary.
Horrible
CLINICAL NURSE III (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCDecember 26, 2017
Do not work there at all. They do not value their employees and will overload you, expect you to be happy about it and not make any mistakes. You are constantly trying to clean up something someone left you.
Pros
money
Cons
literally everything else
very fast paced place to work
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 18, 2017
fast paced place to work but working in the OR you are able to see and learn a lot of this from hands on experience. You can gain lots of knowledge also.
Pros
incentives, occasional bonuses
Cons
attendance policy, how they handle pregnant employees with disregard to safety precautions .
Very rewarding to be able to help people!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  CCWRDecember 1, 2017
I obviously enjoy my job at WakeMed. It is a very rewarding position to be able to help families at a time when they are so sad and upset. Management is wonderful. It is a very friendly culture. The hardest part of the job is when a patient passes. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you helped a family member feel better.
Very competitive environment
Finance & Accounting Representative (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 29, 2017
Nice place to work, but if you in more of the support role, there is not much room for advancement. Most positions are given to those base on who you may know and not what you know.
Pros
Not much flexibility with time off during holiday, but are allowed sometimes to leave early.
Cons
Vacation and sick time are all utilized together, no pension plan or stock options
Excellent place to work
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 11, 2017
Pathology management and high levels of administration are very involved and value the staff. The volume of work is busy but reasonable. Quality is everyone's top priority.
Overall a great place to work
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 9, 2017
Overall management was professional
Good work environment
Easy to get time off in the Pathology lab
Good co-workers
Friendly atmosphere, although I would like to see more people smile in the hallways as you pass each other.
Fairly good environment
NURSE TECH/CLINICAL SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCOctober 3, 2017
The overall environment is great and the majority of staff are friendly and work well together. The management of my unit refused to offer me benefits although I worked full-time hours. I have a household to support and they still were not willing to work with me.
Mixed feelings
RN (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 1, 2017
Love what I do and patient care is my passion. Management does not follow through and I feel like I am not being heard. Not a fair team environment. Benefits are very expensive.
Pretty Good
Interim Registration & Guest Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 20, 2017
I enjoy working there, It is a pretty good place to work. It's a hospital so its fast paced, which I enjoy. I would recommend any one working here. Love it
Each unit is different, opinion is of one unit
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 18, 2017
Wake Med in general is not a bad place to work. Over the past 5 years however, the management culture has changed to a numbers driven, look good on paper competition between departments. Management does not seem to care what REALLY happens, or how patients are REALLY cared for, or how staff REALLY feels. The focus is on how things LOOK IN DOCUMENTATION. Additionally, attitutes towards staff nurses (meaning those who actually DO the work) have become ridiculously punative for minor infractions (forgetting to chart one item or charting it outside of a unit mandated time, clocking in 5 minutes tardy or out 5 minutes late or venting frustations to a manager behind closed doors could earn a written disciplinary action or a blocked request for transfer to another shift or department or vengeful denials of requested PTO. At the same time, staff who arrive early, volunteer to decorate the bulletin board or audit charts, document assessments perfectly without doing them and neglect their patients because they play candy crush or watch movies on their phone somehow slip under the cracks) This has resulted in staff not feeling safe to report genuine concerns, falsely documenting the time care ACTUALLY took place, and just going through the motions necessary to keep their job. Also, some units are routinely understaffed and the staffing pool is poorly equipped and managed. Units often have to pull nurse techs to sit with mental health patients because the hospital is not prepared to handle the increasing volume of the underserved psychiatric population. Management also fails to plan  more... for the inevitably fluctuating staffing shortages that occur in the healthcare field...maternity leaves, illness, staff burnout and turnover. People who work so hard caring for sick people require more time off. Period. The long term cost of this culture will be immeasurable and patient care already has and will continue to suffer.  less
Pros
Competative pay, Awesome co-workers, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Understaffed, punative culture, management
Great job with great benefits
Emergency Communications Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 7, 2017
I started with Wakemed in 2002. There were a lot of challenges, but the people were great to work with. Training is essential and always having continuous education. I enjoyed my 15 years there.
Benefits
Cons
Can be long hours
WakeMed
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 5, 2017
Overall, it is a great place to work. There are some areas where they lag behind the competition in the area, but given the pros, I would say they out weigh the cons.
Fast Paced, Exciting environment. Exhausted by 12 hour end.
Behavioral Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 31, 2017
Thoroughly challenging job which for myself and many others is addicting. Loved it.

I still remain close to the staff I worked with at the hospital with joy
Pros
Good Pay, Great Co-workers
Cons
Stress, Overwhelming Responsibilities.
Professional Environment
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 30, 2017
It took me more than seven years to get in to Wakemed! I have over 150 rejection letters. Since I was hired in 2015 I have learned a lot and is pleased with Management.
Very productive and well organised
secretary/nurse aide (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 29, 2017
Wonderful place to work well organized. Management is great. Flexible scheduling. Coworkers work together well. Job assignments not overwhelming. Fast paced well trained staff.
Pros
Wonderful
Cons
No concerns
ok
Relay blood analysis results to a physician (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 22, 2017
Big hospital with great opportunities however from my time their you are judged on your personality versus your work ethic in the department. Great nursing and physician staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WakeMed. Our community is ready to answer.