University of Illinois Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Great Internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 2, 2018
Great way to apply the classroom to the workplace, offer valuable research skills that helped me tremendously throughout my professional career. Very friendly workplace
Great work experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJuly 13, 2018
High-end research areas. A healthy environment for research and technology advancements. Courses and research can be intense but the learning process is concise.
A helpful and rewarding job.
Research Assistant for the Hull Group (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 7, 2018
After my time as a Resident Advisor I am thankful for the opportunity to make a positive impact on residents' lives and to learn some powerful interpersonal skills. I have had two exceptional supervisors that manages myself and our staff well.
Good School
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 4, 2018
It is a good school. peaceful city. It's cold over the winter but nice during summer. There are lots of opportunities for students. Overall I recommend it.
Assistantship
Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJanuary 23, 2018
It was a typical university environment. The research could be interesting or boring depending on the topic.The benefit was excellent and it covered tuition with expenses.
Great place to do research, and can meet people from different background.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJanuary 4, 2018
The students are working hard. Great opportunity and support from academia perspective. Nice campus environment. Great professors and researchers. Diversity in cultures.
Pros
Great research resources.
Cons
Stressful and fast pace.
Good place to work for experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJanuary 3, 2018
I learned a lot about chemical reactions such as TLC plating. The most enjoyable part of this job were the people I worked with. The only thing I didn't like is that it is not paid, it is for experience and university credit.
Pros
Cool people
Cons
Not paid
Productive and fun work place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2017
Got knowledge and training of various new techniques. Sufficient breaks in between work were allowed. Many opportunities were given to develop as a student researcher.
Innovative, learning and team work
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILSeptember 30, 2016
Innovative job environment with flexible work timings, team work and helping each other when required makes work fun. Team work and time management are very important skills here. Working along with graduate studies helps you to be a better time manager.
Pros
Good learning experience
Excellent opportunity for anyone willing to learn
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJune 1, 2016
Although you spend much of your time deep inside large research facilities where human interaction might be minimal, you get a chance to work alongside some of the leading experts in their field and be a part of something that is much bigger than yourself. The faculty were professional, personable, and conscientious. The hardest part of the job would be performing at the standard of the institution, which is high. The best part of all this is, once you're finally able to relax, being able to look back and say "I did" instead of "I could have".
Pros
Learn from the greatest
Cons
Strenuous work weeks, extra hours put in to reach deadlines
Great source of learning
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILApril 23, 2016
Working with UofI, I received an opportunity to learn, grow and utilize my skills the best way I can. Teammates, work environment and hours are very suitable and encouraging.
One of the top engineering colleges in the nation for excellent researches
Research Assistant, Mechanical Lead (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 23, 2016
In the Power and Energy group in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department, I was surrounded by the top engineering minds in research and academic.
Good place to learn
Research Assistant under Prof. James T. Allison (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILAugust 6, 2015
If you get a chance to go here, do it!I thought it was great for my career as it is full of brilliant people. I also enjoyed the fact that the town was nice and cozy, and fairly cheap.
Carle Hospital
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 31, 2015
I had a great experience working in the nursing education department. I learned the importance of continuing education and training for new nurses. I was able to shadow nurses on the floor and learn more about a typical day for a nurse.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2015
It was a Volunteer position for one month. And it was fast pace and learned so much in that one month. Supervisor was very good and have place for personal improvement aswell.
Nice environment for research and good people
Research Assistant (RA) (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJune 22, 2015
graduate students usually work at least 8 hours per day. they are required to take classes in order to graduate. the required credit hour varies among the departments.
Encouraged huge intellectual growth and maturity
Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 8, 2015
Typical day:
Check emails, respond to emails, work on manuscript, carry out experiments, manage undergraduate employees, and prep for the lab section that I teach

What I learned:
I learned how hard I can push myself in order to achieve the goals that I want.

My co-workers:
Working with mainly foreign lab mates has given me a wider knowledge in how to communicate with people.

Hardest part of the job:

Most enjoyable part of the job:
Meeting new people and constant learning
Pros
constant learning, exciting, allowed for easy collaboration with others
Cons
long hours, competitive
great place to work, low pay
field research assistant (Former Employee) –  EBIJanuary 12, 2015
Enjoyed working for the university besides no overtime, a limit on how many hours can be worked. No health insurance and low pay.
Pros
Driving tractors and learning maitenence
Cons
low wages, no overtime
Very well academic and research environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILNovember 9, 2014
I appreciate the disciplined and rigorous academic and research environment in UIUC
Stimulating environment
Research- Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana illinoisJuly 29, 2014
A lot of smart people to engage in intellectual discussion. Great supervisor. Wonderful campus.