University of Illinois Employee Reviews

Uic
Department Supervisor/Graduate Adviser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2017
The department and the supervisor have the ability to make your experience balanced or stressful. Supervising Academics have various management styles and a person needs to be able to adjust.. Most departments are balanced ans easy to work with the work load is always more than one person can do so you need to prioritize your work . When you can do this you are in for a great experience. 15 years at this institution.
Great place to work.
Oracle DBA/ HDP administrator/ Linux System Admin (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2017
Great place to work. Great culture and very diverse. It is also a great environment to learn new skills and the balance between work and life is good.
Easy to learn environment
Assistant Researcher (Current Employee) –  Integrative Biology LabAugust 8, 2017
Being a research position at one of the top schools in the country has allowed me to learn the necessary skills and techniques that will be beneficial to my career as a bioinformatics researcher.
A great institution for Scientific Pursuits
Research Scientist/Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Urbana, IL 61801August 4, 2017
Often overlooked by from Ohio State and the University of Michigan, the University of Illinois is an immersive school that provides the resources (education and other-wise) to succeed in a scientific world.
Campus Housing was a place to grow and develop experience in many levels of work.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2017
My time in Campus Housing was short but the people I worked with and the knowledge I gained will last a lifetime. I was able to learn how to deal with high stress situations as well as develop communication skills. I was surrounded by people from all backgrounds and had no issues with finding a sense of community and belonging. At times the work was tedious and hard and may have required long hours but I came out of it a better person.
Pros
Working with all backgrounds
Cons
Bringing the stress from work home
Variable
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 2, 2017
Each office/department of the university is like it's own little company, so your experience is really dependent on where you are. Overall very stressful. There's lots of red tape, and faculty don't have a lot of respect for staff members.
Pros
Tons of vacation, health insurance, free Lynda.com accounts, cheap adobe licenses, access to the university library
Cons
Faculty make bad bosses, red tape, not a lot of room for advancement, low pay
Excellent learning environment
Director of Clinical Operations (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2017
Enjoy working with faculty and staff. Great learning institution with educational resources at your disposal.
Hectic environment with newest technology and advancements
Cool school
tutor affiliated to Department of Physics (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJuly 3, 2017
University of Illinois is ranked top 2 in Computer Science this year! I am very proud of being a student here. I learned, and created a lot at UIUC. ILLINI!
in the middle of nowhere
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJune 19, 2017
located at a very small town. School is really great but nothing else to do. Great research but too much politics. Constant stress of finding grants. great engineering school
It was a pleasant if somewhat stilted work environment, because I was temporary help.
Extra-Help Office Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJune 10, 2017
Work day was not always busy. What I learned was minimal because I was not hired into a permanent position. I was only given enough training and information to complete the assigned task for a specific amount of time.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Parking was expensive.
Difficult employer
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILJune 5, 2017
The university has the potential to be a great employer, but unfortunately it is held back by the state. Being an Academic Professional, we take the brunt of the hardship and there is little job security but continual threats of our benefits being slashed.
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJune 4, 2017
Worked as a teaching assistant many years ago. A fun place to work and students were enthusiastic and talented. The job allowed a lot of freedom to design the curriculum.
Intern at University of Illinois Springfiled
Springfield Intern/ Events Coordinator, UIS (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 1, 2017
Working in an athletic environment is absolutely great. All the staff is very personable and outgoing. They were easy to talk to and had great work ethic. The staff all had the same vision and goals for the athletic department, it was one big team
Pros
Great experience
OK to work for
Nutrition and Wellness Educator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2017
Good, but offices are located in Urbana and we work in Chicago and life would be better if we had better contact with our employer. Time goes by too fast not to be in touch with those who make the decisions.
Fun
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 22, 2017
At the University of Illinois, you get to work with world class faculty on cutting edge research. Schedule is based on your availability, and a positive environment is always present.
Fun Undergrad Job
Residence Hall Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaApril 28, 2017
It was nice to work as a residence hall desk clerk. I was able to make many friends during my employment. The only downside is that you might give hours in the early morning/night (3AM - 7AM Shift).
Not a diversified campus - poor job security.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 22, 2017
The school needs to diversify its administration, faculty and staff. They also need to make the campus more welcoming for minorities and offer better job security for teachers.
Excellent for Grad Students
MBA Program Graduate Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILApril 21, 2017
Excellent part-time opportunities for current Graduate Students; great pay and part-time flexible work opportunities to help support oneself while in school
Pros
Flexibity
Awesome place to work
Business Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 18, 2017
I loved working for U of I because I got to meet new people and was still able to make due with the wages and benefits package for my family and I. I would love to work for a company just like it in order to truthfully earn a decent living for My family
Pros
Benefits, advancement opportunities, meet new people
Work Life Balance
Process Improvement Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 13, 2017
Work Life Balance in my position is wonderful. My job allows me to telecommute when needed with minimal travel for the job. I have enjoyed learning all of the different aspects of Higher Education with regards to the culture and diversity of each department.
Pros
Free tuition to employees
Cons
Salary increase and advancement based upon state budget