University of Illinois Employee Reviews

Great place to work freindly staff rich heritage!
Food Sanitation Laborer/Stage Hands (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILNovember 14, 2017
A typical day at State Farm Center well the crew usually meet on the northwest side of the stadium before we start our assignments we have doughnuts & coffee, work until everything is setup then we have intermission until the show is concluded then I'm responsible for breaking down stage & loading it up. Something great I learned was time management & how to be a team player. Workplace culture is great I mean you become intrigued with the job almost immediately just knowing the history & knowing what your apart of makes you appreciate the job just little more. The hardest part of the job is the scheduling I personally wish I had more hours. The most enjoyable part hands down is meeting the celebs & pay.
Pros
Discounts, pay, Company
Cons
Healthcare, breaks, scheduling
educational job
Acct Tech I - Univ. Payables (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILNovember 9, 2017
I was able to return to school and the University paid for it. They have a great benefit package and I was able to grow as an individual and employee while there.
Productive workplace
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 23, 2017
This is a cut throat environment. It is not a fair and just place to work. The slackers stay there to retire and those that work hard may lose their position because of a slight slip. I was a slow work environment and it may take about 3 hours to do a taask. It must be strerched over a 8 hour shift.
easy to communicate and flexible
Student Event Manager (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 22, 2017
Clear direction given from upper level management. The other employees work well together and there is no abuse of power. The hardest part is understanding every specific question. The easiest part of the job is the flexibility in hours and what to do during the game.
Pros
Free lunch, work 2 or 3 days a week
Cons
Long days
My daily and weekly duties
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2017
Typing, filing, meet & greet, assisting the hard manager, taking inbound & outbound calls, running errands in & around UIC, internet research. I also spoke to students that were new at UIC and answered questions about the campus.
Pros
At the desk all day.
Cons
Liad off
Contracted Employee
Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2017
If working for U of I is a desire please confirm that your position isn't contracted out to another entity. There isn't an opportunity for growth when contracted as an off-site employee. One doesn't receive the same support of services if not working on one of the campuses.
idk about this one
Extra Help (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 4, 2017
i liked it because they let me do my own work but they werent really to friendly the pay was good but it was extra help i dont think people really wanted me to be there
A regular day
Lecturer/Instructor (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 19, 2017
It is balanced environment, where I follow a schedule of two lectures, and time in my office to write articles or grade homework or exams.
Also, interacting in a chatroom as facilitator of online classes.
Pros
Good working environment.
Cons
Low pay
I really thought this was a better place....
Food Service Administrator I, Culinary Worker III (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILSeptember 7, 2017
This was one of the most surprising places to work. The union makes it hard for work to be fair because it is to hard to fire people. The atmosphere is cutthroat and angry. I thought this would be my last position.
Pros
unlimited overtime
Cons
coworkers
Uic
Department Supervisor/Graduate Adviser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 4, 2017
The department and the supervisor have the ability to make your experience balanced or stressful. Supervising Academics have various management styles and a person needs to be able to adjust.. Most departments are balanced ans easy to work with the work load is always more than one person can do so you need to prioritize your work . When you can do this you are in for a great experience. 15 years at this institution.
Great place to work.
Oracle DBA/ HDP administrator/ Linux System Admin (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2017
Great place to work. Great culture and very diverse. It is also a great environment to learn new skills and the balance between work and life is good.
Easy to learn environment
Assistant Researcher (Current Employee) –  Integrative Biology LabAugust 8, 2017
Being a research position at one of the top schools in the country has allowed me to learn the necessary skills and techniques that will be beneficial to my career as a bioinformatics researcher.
A great institution for Scientific Pursuits
Research Scientist/Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Urbana, IL 61801August 4, 2017
Often overlooked by from Ohio State and the University of Michigan, the University of Illinois is an immersive school that provides the resources (education and other-wise) to succeed in a scientific world.
Campus Housing was a place to grow and develop experience in many levels of work.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 3, 2017
My time in Campus Housing was short but the people I worked with and the knowledge I gained will last a lifetime. I was able to learn how to deal with high stress situations as well as develop communication skills. I was surrounded by people from all backgrounds and had no issues with finding a sense of community and belonging. At times the work was tedious and hard and may have required long hours but I came out of it a better person.
Pros
Working with all backgrounds
Cons
Bringing the stress from work home
Variable
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 2, 2017
Each office/department of the university is like it's own little company, so your experience is really dependent on where you are. Overall very stressful. There's lots of red tape, and faculty don't have a lot of respect for staff members.
Pros
Tons of vacation, health insurance, free Lynda.com accounts, cheap adobe licenses, access to the university library
Cons
Faculty make bad bosses, red tape, not a lot of room for advancement, low pay
Excellent learning environment
Director of Clinical Operations (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 30, 2017
Enjoy working with faculty and staff. Great learning institution with educational resources at your disposal.
Hectic environment with newest technology and advancements
Cool school
tutor affiliated to Department of Physics (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJuly 3, 2017
University of Illinois is ranked top 2 in Computer Science this year! I am very proud of being a student here. I learned, and created a lot at UIUC. ILLINI!
in the middle of nowhere
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJune 19, 2017
located at a very small town. School is really great but nothing else to do. Great research but too much politics. Constant stress of finding grants. great engineering school
It was a pleasant if somewhat stilted work environment, because I was temporary help.
Extra-Help Office Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJune 10, 2017
Work day was not always busy. What I learned was minimal because I was not hired into a permanent position. I was only given enough training and information to complete the assigned task for a specific amount of time.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Parking was expensive.
Difficult employer
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILJune 5, 2017
The university has the potential to be a great employer, but unfortunately it is held back by the state. Being an Academic Professional, we take the brunt of the hardship and there is little job security but continual threats of our benefits being slashed.