University of Illinois Employee Reviews

State budget issues aside, a great place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 18, 2018
A typical day at work was checking and replying to a LOT of emails, problem solving, scheduling project meetings, attending project meetings, working on deliverables, working on individual projects then absorbing the day and planning the next one.

I learned Tableau and Business Objects report-writing skills, as well as Business Process Improvement techniques.

My immediate supervisor was great to work with. My manager, however, was a micromanager and not the easiest to please.

The culture was progressive, despite being majority white. In my unit, specifically, it was white male dominated. Very professional to/with our clients but laid back within the unit. Nearly every employee is at least Bachelor's educated, with several having Masters and PhDs so I worked among some highly intelligent people with great ideas.

The hardest part of my job was keeping my manager happy, whose concerns seemed to often differ from my clients. Budgeting issues kept upper management anxious, since we did not work in one of the lucrative departments.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my coworkers and clients. People in general are happy at the university, and the benefits are very nice.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
unless your department is north of Green, you might suffer from budget cuts
Academic experience, industry-focused research, invaluable knowledge
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 22, 2018
It was undergraduate research, so the compensation and overall experience was as expected. The whole experience is catered towards academics, and is highly competitive. However, the knowledge that is gained (in addition to what is learned formally in the classrooms) is invaluable. We had access to state of the art facilities and labs, and the type of work is largely self-reliant, without the need for too much supervision, depending on the type of research group.
Good Benefits
Garage Sub-Foreman (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 23, 2018
I come to work and do my job. I was able to move into management in a timely manner. The culture of the work place runs hot and cold depending on the day. My current position is not the best use of my skills and talent.
Nice place to work
IT Technical Associate (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJuly 28, 2018
This is a exciting place to work and would recommend it for a career. You have opportunity to grow if you take advantage of it. The benefits are good as well.
Solid
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2018
It was a great work environment and provided a necessary stepping stone in my career. As a full time student, I was able to get my feet wet while doing research in a field that interested me.
Challenging jobs
Pediatric Nurse (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILMarch 1, 2018
Great for work life balance and benefits. Continual learning opportunities. Competitive pay. Paid licence renewal and education. Generous vacation and sick pay.
Pros
Great benefits
Enjoyed my time here
Systems Administrator III (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 13, 2018
Has same types of issues as most employers. Sometimes you will find bad managers. Overall it was good place to work, but I was not involved in the politics, nr was I faculty, so that helps!
Enjoy working with the public.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 11, 2018
As a well established progressive and rapidly expanding organization in today's market, I am a self-motivated individual interested in a position that would lead me to a higher level of responsibilities. I am dependable, versatile, love multi-tasking, and love working with people.

As a Clerical Assistant for over 10 years, I have lots of experience and I am willing to expand my skills in a organization that is growing, this opportunity will help me grow with the company.
Pros
I enoy working with the public.
Cons
Irrate people
Fast paced environment
Case Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2018
You must be able to learn quickly and able to move around. You must be on time and enjoy learning new things. What I enjoyed the most is the benefits
Project Coordinator
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 25, 2018
The coordination of programs based around feeding the community while focusing on the needs individuals seeking help for the advancement of the well beings, I facilitate a comprehensive adult education program and domestic violence awareness for young men. I also help conduct a study pertaining to African American males in low-income communities,
Assistant Director of Dining Services for Catering (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJanuary 17, 2018
Exciting and fast paced work environment. My supervisor was very supportive. Great management staff! Always looking top improve and offer the best quality product to students and staff.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Collaborative and Creative Position
Health Professional Navigator Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2018
As a mentor for students interested in applying to professional school in the health field, I able to communicate and provide advice to several different types of people. Overall, I found this profession to encourage me to be creative when helping people improve their personal statement. Also, I collaborated with different mentors from different health professionals in order to give the students our personal advice.
Great Internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 2, 2018
Great way to apply the classroom to the workplace, offer valuable research skills that helped me tremendously throughout my professional career. Very friendly workplace
Great work environment
Full Time Computer Programmer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2018
The work environment was great, although the salary was pretty low. I enjoyed being able to pick out the projects I wanted to work on. I enjoyed working with legacy software as well as new technology.
Great place to work freindly staff rich heritage!
Food Sanitation Laborer/Stage Hands (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILNovember 14, 2017
A typical day at State Farm Center well the crew usually meet on the northwest side of the stadium before we start our assignments we have doughnuts & coffee, work until everything is setup then we have intermission until the show is concluded then I'm responsible for breaking down stage & loading it up. Something great I learned was time management & how to be a team player. Workplace culture is great I mean you become intrigued with the job almost immediately just knowing the history & knowing what your apart of makes you appreciate the job just little more. The hardest part of the job is the scheduling I personally wish I had more hours. The most enjoyable part hands down is meeting the celebs & pay.
Pros
Discounts, pay, Company
Cons
Healthcare, breaks, scheduling
Being a graduate student is never easy!
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILDecember 7, 2017
Definitely not the position for me. Being a graduate student promises the future of success, but the road towards it is not easy. You pretty much "make your own program". You set you hours, make your own schedule, and have to go to class as well. The hours are long, with little pay. Again. if you want to work in Academia, you need to be able to develop multitasking skills, organize your research and be ready to work hard. Not for anyone!
Pros
guidance, free funding, resources for research, great departments
Cons
No benefits, stressful, low pay
Great work experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJuly 13, 2018
High-end research areas. A healthy environment for research and technology advancements. Courses and research can be intense but the learning process is concise.
Great Place
Athletic Facilities (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILFebruary 8, 2018
Longevity, Job security, great town. Great place to raise a family. They give a chance to grow and you can move around in different departments. I would suggest this place to anyone.
Ga
GA (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILOctober 22, 2018
If you can get an assistantship they pay well! Challenging to get a GA position but once I got it tuition was covered and I received a monthly stipend that helped pay for my cost of living.
Good place
Lecturer, Assistant Director of Athletic Bands (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILNovember 28, 2018
Not a bad place to work overall. Very nice environment. The people were nice. Had to work lots of hours to get the work done. The red tape is extensive.