University of Illinois Employee Reviews

Fast paced environment
Case Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2018
You must be able to learn quickly and able to move around. You must be on time and enjoy learning new things. What I enjoyed the most is the benefits
Good Benefits
Garage Sub-Foreman (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 23, 2018
I come to work and do my job. I was able to move into management in a timely manner. The culture of the work place runs hot and cold depending on the day. My current position is not the best use of my skills and talent.
Academic experience, industry-focused research, invaluable knowledge
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 22, 2018
It was undergraduate research, so the compensation and overall experience was as expected. The whole experience is catered towards academics, and is highly competitive. However, the knowledge that is gained (in addition to what is learned formally in the classrooms) is invaluable. We had access to state of the art facilities and labs, and the type of work is largely self-reliant, without the need for too much supervision, depending on the type of research group.
State budget issues aside, a great place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 18, 2018
A typical day at work was checking and replying to a LOT of emails, problem solving, scheduling project meetings, attending project meetings, working on deliverables, working on individual projects then absorbing the day and planning the next one.

I learned Tableau and Business Objects report-writing skills, as well as Business Process Improvement techniques.

My immediate supervisor was great to work with. My manager, however, was a micromanager and not the easiest to please.

The culture was progressive, despite being majority white. In my unit, specifically, it was white male dominated. Very professional to/with our clients but laid back within the unit. Nearly every employee is at least Bachelor's educated, with several having Masters and PhDs so I worked among some highly intelligent people with great ideas.

The hardest part of my job was keeping my manager happy, whose concerns seemed to often differ from my clients. Budgeting issues kept upper management anxious, since we did not work in one of the lucrative departments.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my coworkers and clients. People in general are happy at the university, and the benefits are very nice.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
unless your department is north of Green, you might suffer from budget cuts
Great to start out with.
SDR/ Mentor Program, Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 11, 2018
University offers a great amount of work study poisitons to help out students, however the positions themselves need to be a small bit more rewarding in some cases to help struggling students.
Pros
flexible hours, great working environment
Great Internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 2, 2018
Great way to apply the classroom to the workplace, offer valuable research skills that helped me tremendously throughout my professional career. Very friendly workplace
Nice place to work
IT Technical Associate (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJuly 28, 2018
This is a exciting place to work and would recommend it for a career. You have opportunity to grow if you take advantage of it. The benefits are good as well.
Great work environment
Full Time Computer Programmer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2018
The work environment was great, although the salary was pretty low. I enjoyed being able to pick out the projects I wanted to work on. I enjoyed working with legacy software as well as new technology.
Great work experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJuly 13, 2018
High-end research areas. A healthy environment for research and technology advancements. Courses and research can be intense but the learning process is concise.
Nice University
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 10, 2018
Worked on a research project part time. Staff were awesome and a great environment to work. The project was held at multiple sites in the United States.
This is unpaid voluntary position
Adjunct Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILJune 25, 2018
I am a Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Human Nutrition and Food Science at the University of Illinois. No review on this university is applied.
Project Coordinator
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 25, 2018
The coordination of programs based around feeding the community while focusing on the needs individuals seeking help for the advancement of the well beings, I facilitate a comprehensive adult education program and domestic violence awareness for young men. I also help conduct a study pertaining to African American males in low-income communities,
Uic
Women's Health Nurse Practitioner student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 24, 2018
I attended UIC as a grad student. Great advanced practice nursing school. I intend to return for my doctorate. It's nice that they have satellite campuses to attend.
Casual environment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 16, 2018
Boring. no perks for employees. More could have been offered to help employees remain engaged in their work as well as in the company as a whole. It was like factory work, i.e. in out, in out. no real consideration for employees. as if they didnt really exist when it came to decision making.
Pros
8-5 working hrs
Cons
no perks for employees
Student
Springfield, Student (Former Employee) –  Granbury, TXJune 15, 2018
Amazing professors who love their jobs. Challenging coursework required hours of attention to detail in order to complete the program. Enjoyed my time as a student very much.
not family oriented
Building Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 11, 2018
What I enjoyed the most about working at the University were the fellow employees. I have been on 6:00 am to 2:30 shift for approximately 4 years. I would have to say the hardest part of this job was campuswide snow removal.
Productive and fun
Cook (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 3, 2018
It was a great work environment to work in. I would recommend this place for employment for anyone especially students. Everyone was helpful, nice and funny. So in my opinion this is an awesome place to work in far as food service.
Pros
is a great place to work
Cons
slow in the summer
Lack of advancement
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILApril 30, 2018
Frustrating that I will have my Master's degree in less than a month but there is really no chance of advancing anywhere in my current position. I also cannot get work experience in the areas I need with my current position.
Architectural Aide (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2018
Its a fine work environment. The employees along with the people are all very friendly and nice, as well as everyone works hard to accomplish tasks. I thought it was nice.
uiuc
student worker (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILApril 23, 2018
could be a fast pace environment depending on what station you work. dish room is great listen to music and work for the most part at your own pace. pay isnt great at all