United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Rural Carrier Associate

Found 2,040 reviews matching the search See all 18,466 reviews
Good
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Browns Mills, NJDecember 12, 2018
It took a while to get into the post office but once I was it was good. Pay is very good and management was nice. Overtime for those that want it. Very good.
good for flexible schedules
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodville, ALDecember 11, 2018
A typical day of work was sorting, loading and delivering the mail. I learned how to maximize my efficiency in order to complete the job faster. The hardest part of the job was the unpredictable nature of it. There were things that were unreasonable about the position. An example of this was that it was a part time position that the employee was expected to have a right hand drive vehicle as well as a "backup" vehicle for use on the job.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
no hope of going full time
Time Management
Rural Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ferndale, WADecember 10, 2018
The US Post Office is a lot more that delivering letters. With the advent of online shopping packages have to be delivered. This can become very tiresome and frustrating because there is never enough time in the day.
Strong Company
Rural and City Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 10, 2018
USPS was an excellent company to work for. The union is very strong, the benefits are great. I was proud to have served both as a Rural Carrier and City Carrier.
Good pay and benefits
Rural carrier assistant driving a POV (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORDecember 10, 2018
You work a lot but you are compensated for the time. Nadal after 90 working days you get benefits. Good people but mostly, you work alone. You are expected to be safe and perform your duties to the best of your ability every day no matter what
No advancemet from non career employees.
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 8, 2018
RCA’s are used and abused. You don’t get any hours until Christmas then you are over worked. In small offices you’re not likely to get a full time position maybe 8-10 years of working one day a week you might get a full time job. The job overall is good but trying to have a second job then trying to work when the PO needs you gets old! Wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone really a waste of time. The post office has high turnover rate of RCA’s. You think they would change the way they operate. If it wasn’t for fed ex ups and amazon the post office would be nothing! Long story short the post office is horrible!
Pros
Cons
Not appreciated no room for advancement.
not good enough
Assistant Rural Carrier (Current Employee) –  McLean, VADecember 8, 2018
There services for the employees are not good. it is based on how long you can wait for a full time job. it usually takes years......years in order to have a regular full time salary....not good enough
Pros
a job
Cons
not enough hours to work
The Aurora/Tower Post Office is over worked.
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 8, 2018
The Post office I worked at covers a very large area where their are no other post offices, causing their employees to be over worked. Especially as a RCA you must case and organize raw mail for each route.
Great Place
Assistant Rural Carrier (Current Employee) –  New Baltimore, MIDecember 8, 2018
Wonderful Place of employment, great people. Awesome learning environment. No complaints, very busy company, knowledgeable employees, fast paced environment.
There is a reason its called Going Postal
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverton, UTDecember 8, 2018
you get the joy of working 60-80 hours a week with no breaks or lunch. in the year i worked there i had 3 different postmasters due to legal reasons and my supervisors were under investigation due to labor law violations
Overworked. Unkind management. Irregular hours.
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTDecember 8, 2018
You are on call every day at the drop of a hat. The RCA manager pressured me to quit. He told me two days after I was injured on the job he considered firing me and told me I was taking too long to learn a route he had put me on a few weeks before. I only worked one or two days a week and I had felt that I was getting better despite the harder learning curve of not being on the route every day.
Pros
High pay
Cons
No benefits
tough job
Rural Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  shrevportDecember 7, 2018
the job is not for everyone so please understand what you are getting yourself into. It can be great money but a high level of stress on your body if considering being a carrier.
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  East Stroudsburg, PADecember 7, 2018
Union. Growth potential to management. Great team work. Very fast pace. Strainous lifting. Very timely manner. Accuracy while distributing the mail to its correct address.Potential to gain extra and or overtime hours. During your interview ask to be taught extra routes after you have learned your first route.
Probation needs to be altered dramatically
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIDecember 6, 2018
The union can't protect your job for the first 90 days, meaning if you get a bad supervisor they have full authority to cut you loose for farting the wrong way if they see fit, the union should have full powers from the word go, I was cut loose for no wrong doing, it was really despicable to simply be told you weren't "working out" and know it was due to a corrupt supervisor.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else
Alot of discrimination/ favortism
RCA-Rural carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kailua-Kona, HIDecember 5, 2018
Need better management and supervisors, There is a lot of discrimination between males and females, Favoritism is a big part in the USPS Kailua Kona Post Office.
Cons
My favorite job ive ever had
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  La Fargeville, NYDecember 4, 2018
Truly was a career I would have continued if I could of been placed when I moved to new area.. great area that I did work in.. and all my customers were sad to see me leave the area
Pros
Wonderful customers
Cons
Couldnt relocate
US Postal Services is Competitive but Fun work Place
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Lehi, UTDecember 4, 2018
At US Postal Services I enjoyed working friendly management and co-workers. I have learned how to drive right hand side vehicles and deliver mails in a fast and reliable was even in winter stormy days.
Pros
Overtime was great
Cons
Stressful during winter holidays
Exploitation and misery
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  CTDecember 3, 2018
Unless you are a regular rural carrier, you are exploited by management to an extreme degree with complete disregard for your personal life, physical health, or mental health. I often worked around 70 hours per week, 6-7 days per week (with no limit on days worked in a row from week to week) with NO benefits except a terrible health insurance option. No paid sick days, no paid time off, nothing. Managers never gave sufficient notice for scheduling, and often changed your schedule day-of. You are treated like a pack mule, not a human. Completely miserable.
Pros
Decent hourly pay, union representation
Cons
Extreme hours, unpredictable schedule, punitive management, unreasonable physical demands
Depends on the management.
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Carmel, NYDecember 2, 2018
The management in this job plays a hug role, if the management is nice to there employees and care about them this job is great, if not this job can be very stressful. a typical day at work consists of 3-5 hours of casing mail and getting it ready to take out to the road for delivery along with going through packages to get them ready as well. The hardest part of the job depends on the time of year, Christmas time would be the hardest with the mail volume and amount of packages being shipped along with the weather. I have gained a lot of personal responsibility from this job. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting on the road on a nice day and just being outside.
Pros
being outside
Cons
sometimes overworked 60-70+ hours due to lack of people depending on the time of year
An experience I want to forget
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Tualatin, ORDecember 2, 2018
First of all, the hiring process took over 2 months and in the private sector people would have accepted another job. They also prefer military hires over regular Joe and these people are given a 10 point extra bonus which determines part of your fate. Once hired, you are thrown on to many different routes not just a few where you would gain efficiency. Keeping in mind that time is going to be a bench mark in the evaluation process of 90 days. The routes are hard for the regulars to do let alone a sub employee that doesn't do it every day. The routes are not completable in the measured time as they aren't including the growing package volume and small packages. Plus they are on average, 720 objects where mail has to be delivered. Also, you have to case the whole route before you can deliver it which would 3-4 more hours. So, in most cases this is under a minute per object while taking into account safety and pulling the items to be delivered for that day together for the box. Not a doable goal. The post office doesn't charge enough for their product. This revenue shortage creates a toxic environment of having to either cost cut- do the route faster or not having the resources available to properly do it. If you take lunch breaks or a 10 minute breather it would go against you as then you will take longer to do the route which doesn't look good. The management is inept because they haven't delivered packages and experienced the world of todays carrier. That wasn't part of the business model when they were a carrier as it has recently changed with the extra package  more... volume. The management style is autocratic as this is how it is when your supervisor tells you "you have no say in your review" Wait, I thought this was a two way relationship. You are also on call and at their will for use every day as that is what the job is. They call you when they need to fill a route which would be available. My advice for a low skilled position and someone who is single it might not be bad. Otherwise, if you are use to a professional job and environment this is probably not the place  less
Pros
Most of the time on your own to do your job, outdoors
Cons
no breaks including lunch or a breather, long hours, a business model from 20 years ago w/o a large package sender

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.9K