United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Rural Carrier Associate

Terrible management
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Rincon, GAAugust 21, 2018
You have to fight to get paid for the work you do, and they will run you into the ground. There are people who have worked here for 20 years who cant get off to go to their child's graduation. If you have no other option, i recommend this job. They will tell you the job is part time, but you will work constantly. I generally worked 6-7 days a week.
Best job, as a driver you are responsible for that route and that's it.
Assistant Rural Carrier (Current Employee) –  Powder Springs, GAAugust 20, 2018
The manager are there to help you do your job while not breathing down your back. Very easy job and amazing pay. Part time position is great to get your foot in the door and if you like the job it is possible to advance to RCA.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
NO air conditoning in truck makes summer routes unbearable. Bring lots of water!
unsatisfied with management
Rural Carrier (Former Employee) –  Naples, MEAugust 20, 2018
After 15 years of devotion to usps they fired me because i could no longer lift 70 pounds (there requirement) due to medical reasons
(TAA Thoractic Aorta Aneurysm). Cardiologist placed me on a permanent weight restriction of 30 pounds and under. USPS fired me due to this.

unfair and discrimitive treatment
Pros
beneftis, money
Cons
rough work place
Tremendous opportunity
RURAL CARRIER ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Blackstone, MAAugust 18, 2018
Given I was simply an associate carrier living on a retirement pension, I did not intend to progress toward a full time carrier position. I also did contract deliveries for Amazon independently and with the USPS. Infrequently I do continue to do parcel deliveries independently.
Pros
Excellent benefits for full time career employees
Cons
Very challenging, with peak periods being particularly demanding
Fun
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Nixa, MOAugust 17, 2018
A great place to work, and a fun environment, and the people I worked with are nice people to have around. The management is also nice and they can relate to the everyday things you have
Pros
fun environment
Cons
no AC in vehicles
it was great
Substitute Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYAugust 17, 2018
it was cool
I liked it and would recommend it to others as a good career idea. However driving the mail trucks in the snow is very very dang
erous in the snow ice or rain.
Government Bureaucracy is standard
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedminster, NJAugust 17, 2018
USPS is a pretty solid place to work if you can self-motivate and are interested in doing your job and going home. A lot of your day is spent by yourself either at you case or in your truck. So if you needed constant social interaction it would not be a terribly great spot for you. Not surprising for a government agency there are tons of rules and regulations but none of them are terribly hard to follow. Just show up, do your job the right way and no one will give you any grief.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management can vary wildly from really awesome to grossly incompetent.
Atomosphere
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Williamstown, NJAugust 17, 2018
In my time with the Post Office Williamstown and Hammonton, NJ the other employees were so helpful and treated me like family. Everyone was willing to help me learn and grow. The careers in the office I worked at and the postmaster were and are some of the people I have worked with over the years. I am sad that I could not retain my job. Unfortunately, I sneezed a few times in a row, my reading glasses fell for my forehead and hit me in the eye. By the time I could recover, my reaction time was not quick enough and I hit the right back tail light and bumper of the car in front of me. So since I was in my probationary period: I had to be let go.
Pros
Rural Carriers are like family, the quick pace and pay.
Difficult place to work
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Ames, IAAugust 16, 2018
Salary is decent, but many who are hired find the work too stressful and quit within a few weeks of beginning. This puts stress on the remainder who must fill-in. The entry-level is devoid of benefits and it can be anywhere from one to five years before becoming a regular employee. Management is generally supportive, but uninterested in advancing employees' carriers.
Great job
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  New Haven, MIAugust 16, 2018
Great job, easy to do but hard work. The only reason I left was due to an unpredictable schedule with almost all schedule being call in's. That is really difficult to do with a child. If the schedule was set and I wasn't called in very frequently I would have stated forever. I chose to quit and go back to college.
Pros
busy work, not challenging mentally
Cons
unpredictable schedule, physically demanding
Good Job Hard work
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Eatontown, NJAugust 15, 2018
Very good job if you can focus and work hard. management can be a pain and corporate has no idea which way is up but overall a positive work environment where the only challenge is the mail
Pros
Good pay and benifits
Cons
Long hours exposed to weather
Great job
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Fishersville, VAAugust 15, 2018
The job is easy and very enjoyable depending on your post office. Not very hard work usually off at a good time everyday! The pay is wonderful with the hours you still have your day to enjoy.
typical day at work
retrieve mail from collections
return to office,
clean up work station,
Leave for the day
Pros
Leave work when finished with assignment
Cons
No benefits.
Fast pace, could make good money
Rural carrier (Current Employee) –  Searcy, ARAugust 14, 2018
Good job for no college degree. You do get taken advantage of, you really should get paid more. You get paid by the route not the hour. So if it takes you 12 hours to run a 8 hour route you only get paid 8. Which happens a lot when mail is heavy or the route is not accurate.
Benefits
Cons
Not paid right. Less time with family
Not a very good job unless you are a full time carrier.
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  VirginiaAugust 14, 2018
It is not an easy job, yet it does get "easier".
Be prepared before you apply to this job.
I have seen many people just came in and quit within a month. There is a reason why you get paid 17.78 hr. You must not be lazy and be able to handle a lot of pressure. If your job performance doesn't get better within 90days, I predict you might either quit before you even reach that 90das, or get fired due to your 90 day provationary period policy; although they might decide to keep you since they lack in manpower thorugh out the year. Further, during the christmas season, you will basically work from 5am till 8pm the entire month, yet it also depends on your region, but most likely you will be working average 6-80 hours a week. During the normal season, as a relief or pt carrier, you will be working average 60hours aweek. Sure, the money is good, but there is no benefits nor any insurance unless you are a full time carrier. I make about appx NET 1300-1500 biweekly. That is when I work 60hours 6days aweek, with no weekends off.
Pros
Great amount of work
Cons
No work life balance
Hard to get advancements in career
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  MaineAugust 13, 2018
Good job. Always loved it. Stressful when you know you're never guaranteed hours. Some weeks are great, others youre not living within your paycheck. It's never the same.
Pros
Working with minimal supervision, easy job most days
Cons
Non-career positions are not guaranteed very many hours
No my favorite
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Springville, UTAugust 12, 2018
I was an RCA and I felt that I was taken advantage of all the time. There are a lot of loop holes on the rural side and they get away with murder. Being a carrier is not an easy job at all and once you are good at your job they will work you to the bone. In my opinion the pay wasn't worth how hard I had to work and all the hours they kept me from my family
US Postal Service
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Tennille, GAAugust 12, 2018
The United States Postal Services provides jobs for individuals in the work force to work together as a team. Working as a team is very efficient in order to meet daily goals. I really like working for the Postal Services getting individuals their mail or packages. However, the hardest part of my job is delivering during hot and rainy weather.
Pros
Making costomers satified
Cons
Working in bad weather
Great Job
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, ARAugust 12, 2018
Great Job with Great people. Very stressful at times, but it is so worth the work. Not a hard job, but a very detailed job. I enjoy it very much, just wish I could become full time
Pros
benefist
Cons
only part time
Non career RCA
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Freeland, MIAugust 12, 2018
They will work u till u learn what they are doing to you and then they once u realize they are using and abusing now u are "the enemy" and they turn to the new hires that will work whatever whenever.
Been there 13 years and have nothing to show for it except some Obama mandated health insurance that has high af deductibles.
For 13 bvb years I dedicated myself to USPS and have nothing to show for it. Nothing more than someone walking in the door today gets.
No company I have ever known is bbn like the USPS. Hard work and dedication get u nothing.
Pros
Hourly wage great
Cons
No advancement. Work holidays weekends etc

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.4K