United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Rural Carrier Associate

bad management
RURAL POSTAL CARRIER (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 9, 2017
worked for this company full time during the holiday season and also during that time work slowed down during off season and was part time the pay was great but management never told me if i was working I did not have a set schedule
Worth it if you stick with it.
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Valley, NEDecember 8, 2017
You should have a right hand drive vehicle if you want to work as a Rural Carrier Associate. Make sure you ask plenty of questions. Stay positive. The union is worth joining.
Not Good
Rural Carrier (Former Employee) –  OhioDecember 8, 2017
Unless your spouse supports you and pays all of the bills or you are young and live with your parents , working as a sub Rural Carrier you won’t make any money so don’t expect to pay bills and live working here. One day a week on Saturday. No room for advancement unless someone dies or retires. The sub I worked for was a sub for ten years before she got on full time.
Pros
Not many
Cons
No advancement
A lot to learn, you must have love for customers
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 6, 2017
A fun place to work, advancement, extra hours, despite some unknowable supervisors who only pick on carriers to make their lives miserable just for fun; other supervisors are great friends of the carriers, managers are good when they go for carriers's efficiently and not for others gossipy
Pros
You learn to manage your job efficiently each day
Cons
bad supervisors in some stations (and lazy carriers who always ask for help)
Fast paced with little time off.
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Sun City Center, FLDecember 6, 2017
The other carriers were always available for any questions you had. Expect 50 or more hours a week. You earn no benefits until you become a regular carrier which could take up to three years.
Pros
Work alone
Cons
Wouldn't work with you to schedule you a day off to go to the doctor. Appointment was 30 days out.
Great opportunity
Rural Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ozark, ALDecember 5, 2017
Good job if you can handle the Saturdays while your a part timer and not garenteed hours per week. Great career set if you put the time in and wait for advancement.
Pros
Pay, career when get regular position
Cons
Limited hours while waiting for position
Solid work
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Baring, MODecember 5, 2017
If you follow the rules and learn your craft this is a great job. You don't have someone breathing down your neck and you are outside. The pay is good for what you do and even better if you drive your own car.
Pros
Independence, outside, pay
Cons
Takes years to get full time
Only Apply If...
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Snohomish, WADecember 4, 2017
You are applying anywhere other than Snohomish Post Office, can not and will not work for Postmaster there, horrible people skills, great fellow co-workers. No social life outside of the PO
Pros
Great hard-working co-workers
Cons
The Direct Supervision
Just great!~
HOME CARE TRUSTEE & PART TIME RURAL POSTAL CARRIER (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, NYDecember 4, 2017
Fantastic place to work with promise for advancement!
A fantastic place to work with some promise for advancement!
Fantastic beyond belief place to work with great promise for advancement!
Pros
Fantastic place to work with promise for advancement!
Cons
Abusive incompetent management that will blame you for their incompetence
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 3, 2017
If you have the mentality of an obedient dog who is ok with illiterate buffoons as your master this job is for you. If you are ok with being punished for hard work--they will just abuse you more--which has led to a culture of apathetic or angry workers aiming at doing the minimal to get by, this job is for you. I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy. I do not mind the workload, but I have never been treated so poorly
abc
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CADecember 2, 2017
Working for the USPS was fun but they have very long hours and are always on the move. There are several different routes you could be put on as a relief carrier
Fast Pace
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Tooele, UTDecember 2, 2017
Very fast pace demanding work environment great team work. Take safety very seriously have monthly stand up meeting to ensure that all employees are aware of current safety hazard.
what i did at post office
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Tobyhanna, PA 18466December 2, 2017
 Organizational abilities.
 Deliver mail to customers on my route and manage time wisely.
 Responsible for keeping detailed records of attempted and missed deliveries.
 Good oral communication skills to interact with customers and answer their questions.
 Electronic device skills to obtain signatures from customers on handheld computerized equipment used by the USPS.
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Yorkville, ILDecember 1, 2017
Was able to work at my pace to get the job done. Loved interacting with my fellow coworkers and customers that i met on my route. Overall a very rewarding experience.
safe place to work...felt protected
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Taylorsville, NCNovember 30, 2017
The only thing that comes to mind about the Post Office was it was hard work but 80% enjoyable. Management was always very supportive and laid back. I carried the mail so it was always a great day when I would get done early or I would make it through the whole mail route with no car trouble. That was by far the most stress full part, next to trying to deliver mail in the snow.
Pros
getting done early...light packages to be delivered
Cons
snow..car trouble.. heavy mail load
Poor management!!!
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 30, 2017
If you are not in one of the "popular groups" than USPS is not for you!!! My 2cnd week, I was being talked about because I have a disability and was working a little slower than the other postal workers and instead of being helped I was made fun of and talked about to the point where I cried and quit without notice!!!! Prior to me quitting, I made management aware of the gossip about my disability being spread and nothing was done. On top of all that your whole life is basically taken because youre at work for 5am til you finish everything which is about 6-7pm. Not for a single parent!!!!
Tough job
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Belton, TXNovember 29, 2017
tough job and tough environment to work in. not for everyone. weather is a factor as well, long hours, extreme, will lose weight quickly, fast paced.
Pros
you own boss once you leave facility
Cons
no breaks, everything done in a rush
Horrible work environment
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Griffin, GANovember 28, 2017
The management is horrible and as an RCA it’s basically one or two days a week unless it’s holidays then you are the first to come in. You basically learn by who trains you and if your trainer is no good then so is your training. The workplace is based off likes and popularity, it’s almost an high school environment. However, the holiday pay is almost like tax time!
Pros
The pay
Cons
The environment
Don't care about their employees
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Lagrangeville, NYNovember 28, 2017
This job is not for someone who has a family. There is no set hours and you could be there til 10 at night. Unless you are a regular carrier, you don't get benefits or paid time off no matter how many hours you work or how long you've been there. They have no regard for your family life and after you've completed your work, you can be asked to complete someone else's. They will find any way to make sure there is no overtime and in bigger offices you will have to work sundays and holidays. I do not recommend this job to anyone!
Cons
no benefits, no paid time off, no set schedule, no chance for advancement, poor management.
RCA: Ridiculous hours, lots of OT
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IANovember 28, 2017
My last paycheck had 87 hours of OT on it... I worked as an RCA for a little over 100 days and had 2 days off. Good job to sock away money, but you will be a tired zombie.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.