United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Rural Carrier Associate

Fun work place
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Port Aransas, TXFebruary 21, 2018
I enjoy working for the U.S. Postal Service unfortunately the position I am currently in only guarantees one day a week unless I am called in during the week to help. I need more hours per week.
Pros
Willing to work with your schedule.
Cons
Not enough hours as a sub.
Work on Sundays
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Exeter, NHFebruary 21, 2018
Job it self is fine. Alot depends on management. If postmaster is carting that the job usually is fine. But if not than the job is not pleasant. So it depends on the office
Pros
Spend slot of time outside.
Cons
Needs to wait for years for regural position
Cut throat Fat shamers
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Clearfield, UTFebruary 19, 2018
I think that it was just the place that I was at, but if you go this way you better be fit. You better be able to do p90x for about 8-10 hours a day and then your ready. On top of that I had a bunch of fat shamer's where I worked. They didn't like that I was over weight, and they made that known. It wasn't very nice place to work save for like 3 people there total. I did like getting to be on the road and delivering the mail though, but it is tough. They don't give you the appropriate training nor do they give you a good route to start out on to get trained. That's were they fail and when I got there, had been failing. Had they only put me on a smaller route and been clear in the expectations, then proceeded to give me enough time to acquire the skills to do a good job, I would have. They failed me, that's all there is to it. It's a shame, I'm not the only one that they have failed, countless people I have talked to have been in the same boat with this company. They failed. They may in the end fail big time.
Pros
The money
Cons
Everything else.
Don't do it
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 19, 2018
Don't do it. Unless you are okay working 50+ hours with a day off maybe once every two weeks don't do it. People break down crying in the middle of the day from stress. I've seen it happen, and I'll admit it's happened to me. Just save yourself the stress. It's not worth it.
Never a dull moment
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAFebruary 17, 2018
Theres always something to do here.. Whether I'm delivering a route or doing pick up's for companies in my city there is always something to do. So the times flies fast when your busy working.
Working as a Rural Carrier Substitute
Rural carrier substitute (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 16, 2018
Typically involved in week end delivery, Saturdays. Also when the regular carrier took a vacation. Depending on the size of your Post office, you can also work as a relief carrier for another route.Typical day started at around 6 am. On the road from 10 am to sometimes 7 pm. The scary part was peoples dogs. I carried a bag of dog treats to distract them. So you sort the mail into the addresses and deliver it. I enjoyed it for the most part. I did not like having to use my own vehicle though.
Pros
Pay is good. So are some of the people you work with.
Cons
Hours can be hard on you. Trying to drive your own vehicle is a little stressful.
no benefits, not fair in the job
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Moss Point, MSFebruary 16, 2018
The company is going down. Your jobs is to do everybody job if you are the best worker and the ones not doing their job get away with everything. You do not have a life with this job.
Pros
Cons
no benefits
Good relaxed place to work
Associate Rural Carrier (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, TXFebruary 15, 2018
Relaxed place to work, but fast paced. Co-workers are great. Job is pretty straight forward. Only i was part time and was offered 1 day a week to work so did not pay the bills
Pros
Most of the day your own your own
Cons
They only hire at part time to start/ Not enough hours
Busy
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Lawton, IAFebruary 15, 2018
It takes a lot of time and effort to learn the job. Many people have to provide and maintain their own vehicles. Hours are odd and not always guaranteed. Opportunities for picking up additional shifts are even more sporadic. It is quick paced with little room for error. Everyone sorts their own mail and packages before delivering.
Pros
Great money
Cons
Unreliable hours, money goes into vehicle maintenance
More complicated then youn would think
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  The Plains, VAFebruary 13, 2018
As a mail carrier you are working out in all the weather - rain, sleet, snow, blazing sun.....5-7 days a week. Just with any government agency, they are too top heavy with managers. My Post Master is great, he stands up for us, but not all are like him.
Pros
Cons
Too many managers
Great enviorment
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 12, 2018
A typical day included lots of physical labor and moments where self motivation was important in job completion. Great pay but no benefits available for a while
The Worst
PSE Mail Processing Clerk/Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 12, 2018
The Post Office is a terrible place to work. It is run like a military operation. Thel harassment is really bad there. People do not get fired there for the horrible things they do. They get promoted.
Rca
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Gilbertsville, KYFebruary 11, 2018
This is a as needed position. You may work 8 hours a week, you may be lucky and get 30+ hours. There is chances to sub out to other offices. The chance to become career is better in larger offices with more routes.
Pros
Good pay, Work mostly alone, Paid for route time not actual time
Cons
Lack of bathroom when out
Great pay but they overwork you
Rural Carrier Assistant (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 11, 2018
Overall, the USPS paid very well but they require you to work crazy hours and with little chance of advancing in the company. It is very hard to get days off and management does not hold everyone equally accountable.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Bad Benefits & Terrible work life blaance
Depends on location
Assistant Rural Carrier (Current Employee) –  GlibertFebruary 10, 2018
Finding a location that has a good management team is really important and post master but it's a good job you deal alot with the weather and you make sure to bring all your food and drinks with you finding a bathroom could be tricky sometimes but it pays really well and once you make regular it's even better for binifets it's hard labor work but to me that's better then sitting in an office all day
Pros
Working without management breathing down you're neck
Cons
Quick fast paced and demanding
Usps rca
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Zebulon, NCFebruary 10, 2018
This job requires you to come in fairly early in the morning and find out what you are going to do for the day. You work until you're done and if someone else needs help you go back out and help them. You never really know when you're getting off unless you are a regular . its not a hard job but it does require some work and time commitments .
Rca
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDFebruary 9, 2018
The post office is very unpredictable, you never know what you may walk into on a work day. It could be a stressful job. Management i give a 4/10. This job is not for everyone.
Pros
Freedom
Cons
stress
Productive place to work
Rural Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walterboro, SCFebruary 8, 2018
Being a rural carrier, the work was fast paced.I enjoyed working with my coworkers. They made the morning go by and we enjoyed each other. The hardest part of the job was making sure all the mail was in order (the more you work, the easier it gets).
Cons
Working hours
Disappointing
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 8, 2018
The idea of the job is good. I went from working every single day during the holidays, to working one day a week in the spring/summer. I received no benefits and my job would "eventually" have an advancement opportunity. I had a bad experience with my manager at the beginning of my career there and it was held against me the rest of the time I worked there. I probably would have been able to stick it out if I had had a different manager. It could have been great, but my personal experience was a negative one.
Postal Carrier
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Dayton, TXFebruary 8, 2018
Arrival time is at 7 am, I go to the route I'm scheduled for that day, gather the letters, magazines and parcels for that route, sort them in order of the route, then load it all into either a postal vehicle or personal vehicle. Deliver everything along the assigned route while also collecting outgoing mail/parcels.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

54.7K