United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Rural Carrier Associate

Found 2,220 reviews matching the search See all 19,671 reviews
Job experience
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Purcellville, VAMarch 21, 2019
The job isn't easy but I'm getting the hang of it. The people there they are very nice and helpful. I appreciate the management I have. They are willing to help and figure out problems quickly. If I can work at this job I know I can do almost anything.
Great job!
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Waverly Hall, GAMarch 20, 2019
I enjoyed my job as a RCA. My postmaster was not fair at all with me. She lied in my face and there was nothing I could do about it because of the probationary period.
Pros
Great job!
Cons
Poor management!
good work experience
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2019
You normally start out as a sub on the rural side and have to get other jobs to make a living. You can be a sub for well over 10 years waiting for you to become the next inline for a full time job. They tell you 6 months but it is not. Not a bad place to work for if you have the time to work part time and wait for over 10 years for a full time job. Not all offices are like this though. Just talk to the carriers about the wait time.
The work itself was great, but coming on as a RCA, not so much.
Rural Carrier Assistant (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNMarch 19, 2019
The RCA supervisor at Smyrna, TN NEVER responded to calls or emails. In fact, it took a long time to even get a phone number that would be answered. The job itself would have been a great job IF they worked with you. Coming on as a RCA, they tell you that you will get 40 hrs. Then you go through weeks of orientation and academy training before going to your actual office. Then they say they only guaranty new RCA’s work on Saturdays, but they except you to be on call EVERY day. They said they will have the schedule posted by Tuesday night for the following week. Friday night, I finished my route that I go to run since someone else did not work. I still had no idea if I was to work on Saturday or the following week. They also indicated that this would only be about a year, then you’d get your own set route. I asked around and every other person there said they got a route after 4 or 5 years. They also said RCA’s work every holiday (no extra pay) and they work the day after because regulars take the day off since they know the volume would be about double.
Pros
No one over your shoulder all day as long as you got your work done.
Cons
Treat RCA as step child
Poor Company
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMarch 19, 2019
Stay away and do something else productive with your life. Many years ago, this was the best company to work for that fall under the federal government. However, they don’t live up to their motto that they portray. Employees are overworked and underpaid. They always hiring do to their high turnover. You are NOTHING but another number to them. Management is poor, fake, and phony. If you not in there little groups, or doing you know what. You probably won’t advance. Also, if you look like you are trying to make a difference in this organization they will try to fire you. They don’t want anybody that look like a threat or could possibly take their job. You don’t fit in if you stand out. So, do yourself a favor and find a company that cares as I have told you the FACTS. Furthermore, Virginia is better than MD & DC. They have their problems, but it doesn’t surpass the filth of the hateful, ignorant, miserable employees in DC & MD. I worked for both so I’m speaking from experience. The post office is terrible, but the people they put in position makes this organization go down! I got out why I could, and I was one of there top employees. I wasn’t with that kissing up. I would have put one of them in their grave. Yes, that’s how fake and crafty they are, and it’s not everyone, but majority! BEWARE
Pros
Customers
Cons
Poor management, and service to employees
Has its good days and bad
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, MSMarch 18, 2019
I think that the position I hold is not given enough credit and is not recognized. i think that there are many people in charge that are not being fair to all employees. What applies for some doesn't apply to all
Get ready to work
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Stanardsville, VAMarch 18, 2019
Being an RCA is only good if you work enough to pay the bills and at times it isn't. I love the people I work with, but waiting to become full-time is a struggle financially.
Competitive and Fast Pace Company to work for
Assistant Rural Carrier (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCMarch 15, 2019
I would recommend this job to anyone because the pay is great and the benefits are excellent. I worked only part-time so I didn't receive any benefits but I still liked the job.
Pros
Great pay and Benefits
Cons
Not enough hours
Love my job
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Murphy, NCMarch 14, 2019
The job is great you stay really busy. You will meet some great people on the routes. You will build a great family when you come to work at the post office.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Not full time no benefits
awful management
Rural Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warrior, ALMarch 13, 2019
they honestly do not care about you your health or your kids if you have kids wait till they are older they don't care for you asking off to take them to doctors appointments i felt like i was working with high schoolers every one is very messy!!
Career Advancement
Assistance Rural Carrier (Current Employee) –  Sharpsburg, GAMarch 13, 2019
I would like a full-time position. I enjoy the job and want to a permanent full-time employee. I am looking forward to taking the exam to be considered for a mail handler.
Pros
Career opportunities
Cons
Not enough hours
Stressfull hard , lonley, hot or freezing
USPS Rural Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTMarch 13, 2019
By far the hardest job I ever had!!!! Rural routes are way too many stop and too long miles for 1 person to do by 5 pm. Not enough carriers because not enough $ for the vehicles.
( Maintenance or new purchases ) no heaters or ac in vehicles. Not to mention trucks are dangerously neglected
Pros
The Union
Promises never kept
Assistant Rural Carrier (Current Employee) –  West Chester, OHMarch 12, 2019
hired as an assistant RCA with the promise I would be moved over to an RCA after the holidays so I bust my butt and work 60 plus hours per week for several weeks and guess what, nothing. Now I am not working and about to lose everything I have because I am struggling to find a job because I took all the time to work so many hours for a company that I was fooled by.
Productive and fun workplace with ping pond table.
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Spring, TXMarch 12, 2019
Pray to God first. Go to work and focus on my job task at hand. Work hard, fast and accurate! Deliver mail. Finish route and clock out. Thank you Jesus for helping me at work today! AMEN!
stressfull
RURAL CARRIER ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Whitehouse Station, NJMarch 11, 2019
This is hard because you can't make any mistake. Customer are not always kinds. Have be to hundreds percent care to not miss deliver. Have working Sunday when the postal office not open.
Would have been a great job
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 11, 2019
The Post Office is a great place. You get to see different neighborhoods, people say "hello" and wave. just depends on the management of the station location.
Pros
Busy Busy
Cons
Being ignored
productive
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 11, 2019
-management is getting better
-hardest part of the job is when mail is delayed
-most enjoyable part is you work outside on a specific route, once you are doing you job right you don't have to worry about to much supervision
Pros
go on lunch when you ready
Cons
dealing with bad weather
Decent pay, Good Employees, Bad management
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Norridgewock, MEMarch 11, 2019
Working for the USPS is not that bad, except for when you need to supply your own vehicle and it should be a right hand drive. you learn how to move fast, recognize patterns, find targeted information quickly, and how to handle confidential information. Management is terrible and the ability to progress is rough since it is a unionized job and everything is based off of seniority rather than work performance.
Pros
Away from managers/ postmasters after first couple hours
Cons
being an associate means no guaranteed hours, and hard to work around a schedule you don't have.
Not worth the time
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Not sayingMarch 11, 2019
I have been a substitute for 5 years, no benefits, no paid time off, only guaranteed 1 day a week. They tell you it is best if you get a second job but, if they call you, you have to report to the Post Office and call off at your other job. I may end up being lucky and get full time by this time next year, but most people end up being a sub for around 12 years. The wear and tear on your vehicle is atrocious, I replace brake pads every couple months, ball joints, rotors, wheel bearings, shocks and struts at least once a year. Not worth it. The routes are evaluated, which means if it's an 8 hour route, you get paid 8 hours, even if you work 12, which will happen around Christmas time alot. The routes are actually so under evaluated it is impossible to run under evaluated time safely. You only get paid 10 seconds to deliver a package, and sometimes you have to go half a mile to a house from the mailbox, which that mileage is not evaluated in the route so you don't get paid for it. I would not recommend this job to anyone that actually needs to make money. Maybe someone that just wants a little extra cash, but you will just be using it to fix your vehicle. Good Luck.
Pros
None until you are full time in 12 years.
Cons
Read above, to many to go over again.
Rural postal carrier associate
Rural Postal Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Canton, ILMarch 10, 2019
Rural carrier associate so only worked as needed. Not enough hours and would be too old when a permanent position became available. Great job for someone who is young and have the years to put into it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

56.3K