United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Mail Handler

Steady work
Mail Clerk/Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, COJuly 15, 2018
Steady enjoyable work. The work is fast paced and the work hours fly by. There are not currently enough hours for overtime. The ability to be promoted is very limited.
It’s ok
Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 13, 2018
Your life will change working here . It is very fast paced and strenuous . You will not be happy working here if you like desk jobs . The benefits are extremely wonderful
Benefits
Cons
Strenuous fast paced labor
Loved it
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 13, 2018
Had a great time working at the post office, and also made the most money ive ever made working a job, but it just wasn't a right fit for me helping my family out at the same time with other family troubles.
MAIL HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 12, 2018
Busy and productive place to work at. The people are amazing you work with and are very reliable. You will sweat from hard work but consider it as a daily needed workout.
ok work enoviroment
Clerk/ Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 10, 2018
working for this job was ok with the pay but as fast wanting to leave work you never had a set time as to when you were getting off or coming to work, work hours change everyday
Fun productive work place and fast pace
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Doral, FLJuly 9, 2018
I enjoyed working at the post office it has always been my dream to I was a seasonal worker. When I was evaluated from my supervisor. I was offered to go back with a great evaluation.
Pros
We were able to get grapes and the supervisors was very understanding
Workplace Culture
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAJuly 9, 2018
There are many of great workers but the management lacks knowledge and understanding of how to command and work with the other workers. Overall, this job was a great experience.
Productive and a fun place to work.
Seasonal Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 8, 2018
A typical day at work was loading and unloading mail truck, and preparing mail and packages to be processed and delivered. There is really nothing as a seasonal employee that I could really learn.
Pros
Good people to work for and good pay.
Cons
Not being hired on after seasonal was done.
Productive, fast pace, experienced environment
Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILJuly 6, 2018
Typical day is from the moment you on the clock everyone is held accountable for their role in their assigned unit. The mail has to be properly prepped and moving equipment scanned before a certain time to be loaded and dock transferred to desired locations.
Do NOT work here
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 4, 2018
Not at all a good place to work. It is seniority based so wait in line to advance. You aren't ever technically hired only contracted at best for 360 days and they may not hire you back. If you do work here best of luck. It requires that "certain" individual to work here. No one is your friend and keep your head down if you are looking to make career. The pay is okay, as long as you can be a monkey that jumps however high they ask you to.
Worse job ever
- Mail handler/Forklift driver (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 2, 2018
This will not let me say what I really want to but the post office is not for everyone and I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS JOB TO ANYBODY! It pays well and it’s easy ! But poor management!
Pros and Cons. Mostly Cons.
Mail Handler Assistant (MHA) (Current Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOJune 30, 2018
Pay was excellent. I would not have quit if they had me working a normal 8 hour shift. Everyday I would go into work and be there 10 to 12 hours. The concrete factory floors killed my feet. Lucky, I got use to it. My "elderly" co-workers (I'm only 30) would constantly be visiting podiatrists and chiropractors for all of their ailments.

Regulars hardly would do any work. That annoyed me the most. PLUS they would be getting paid an additional living expense salary. -basically they would be getting the same hourly as everyone else (16.00 or so) PLUS an additional $7 PER HOUR. They were being paid (including over time, and night shift differential) sometimes up to $30 per hour to walk around the factory, on their phones watching netflix or facetiming, all while eating.. (They know they can't be fired because they are protected by the union..) Most of the time Regulars would act as leads. Basically telling the non-regulars what to do while trying to look like they are working when management comes around.

The non-regulars had double the work, sweating our butts off to get the mail out. I should mention we cant leave until the mail is out. That is probably what added to working 12 hour shifts.

Also, management just loves to hear themselves talk. Most have no proper training, or life skills to control a group of employees. They are rude, confrontational, and degrading - even when they are in the wrong.

I'm an easy going person. I just keep my head down and work because it pays well, benefits are nice, and there are a few good people there to work around
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Strict management, Long hours
Best
Mail Handler Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 27, 2018
Working here was the best experience Ive ever had working at the post office. The money was and is extremely WORTH IT. I only left for health reasons, but I do plan to try to go back to see how things will work out for me.
Sweat
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Carolina / Cataño PRJune 27, 2018
PUERTO RICO - Casual Mail Handler Position - Fast Paced, dirty and physical. Great conversations between the group/groups. A good working experience overall. Great salary for the kind of job although very extenuating.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
fast friendly work place.
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJune 26, 2018
not much time to mingle you are usually on your feet and very physical. i worked at the PMPC so i worked basically night shift. This can also very with your schedule.
Pros
great pay
Cons
night shift and not consistant
Worst job ever
Mail Handler Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJune 25, 2018
I worked here for three years with no hope for a permanent position. No health benefits. All of the senior staff were lazy and the people that were new, were forced to do their job.
Great place to grow
Mail handler (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 22, 2018
Career job with great benefits lunch cafe with great chefs great coffee makers break every 2 hours work at your own pace every collaborate on job paid training
Pros
Great pay
unsafe working
Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 21, 2018
Supervisors will have you perform job duties that is not your job description and deemed unsafe. The United States Postal service provides job opportunities for fairly anybody but the work there is not always what you applied for.
Where do I start!!
Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 21, 2018
I don't know where to begin. There are different levels in the post office and being a mail handler is close to the bottom. the pay cut that was made when i became a career employee was harsh. Most of the management don't know what they are doing, they make our job harder than it have to be. they dong care about anything but the P.O. Some supervisors care but not the managers. Overall, I've met some good people there and the job is pretty easy, just fast pace.
Decent job
Mail Handler, Where I (Former Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDJune 21, 2018
Day would go real good just had to separate mail then move to different sections after a couple of hours. Its a lot of moving around involved so you rarely notice the time.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Everyday is something new never know what you walking into

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.2K