United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Mail Handler

Found 2,234 reviews matching the search See all 19,325 reviews
It works for some, not for me
Full Time Mail Handler Group Leader Grade (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYDecember 12, 2018
Working at the PD&C is like working at a large HS or bad sex club or a mix of the two. Everybody has interoffice relations and the wjole plant overall is just immature and gossipy. The senior staff has 30+ years in and are stuck in there ways. Its a shame because it would run much smoothly if all tours and everyone worked as a team. good pay good hours job security great if u have no kids or dont mind physical labor
Pros
hours, overtime, benefits
Cons
micromanaged, dirty work environment, not so nice co workers
Unprofessional Management.
Casual Mail Handler (Seasonal Position) (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 19, 2018
I worked for the United States Postal Service for three years. The first year was challenging, the second year was great, but the third year remained harassed by management. Management was very rude, unprofessional, and cut-throat. If you don't fit into their circle, they will find ways to terminate you. They are bullies and I honestly don't understand how could the federal government employ and promote such individuals to management. The sad thing about this, is that they don't care. So sad.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Mistreatment from management.
Great place to work.
CEP/Mail Handler/Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 12, 2019
The staff there was great, job is not hard to understand at all. I picked up on ways to work easier and how to do my job the most efficiently I can. So overall great experience.
Workplace environment
US Postal Service Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Bellmawr, NJ 08031February 6, 2019
High paced, competitive environment. Those that hustled are rewarded. I really enjoyed this position. I work hard and like to hustle, which was a great fit. Unfortunately the position was temporary.
Awesome place to set your career
Casual Mail Handler (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 5, 2019
LOVE LOVE LOVE

Sort and distribute mail
Transport parcels and bags of mail to its designated area
Always kept busy so your day just flies...
the pay os wonderful
very physical work lots of lifting and bending
Pros
Amazing pay + 25% COLA
Cons
Not enough permanent positions
N/a
PSE MAIL PROCESSING CLERK, MAIL HANDLER (Current Employee) –  FloridaDecember 4, 2018
collate, bundle, and transfer processed mail from one area to another, and may be required to handle heavy sacks of letter mail or parcels weighing as much as 70 pounds.
Good employer
Casual Mail Handler (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 31, 2018
Good work environment. Lovely fellow workers. Unfortunately, as a casual employee your job appointment can be cancelled without much warning. Fast paced somewhat tedious work.
Pros
All the hours you want
Cons
No job security
Stable environment to work
Mail Handler/Safety Trainer (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 5, 2019
The USPS is a self-supporting government agency. It has a Union Environment which is good and bad at times. Management will work with you if you give them enough advance notice. Since they are a Government agency people assume that their taxes pay the workers salaries. This is incorrect. The Postal Service is a self-supporting agency and receives no funding from your tax dollars.Also USPS is the only Government agency that gets fined by OSHA, and considering we have Post Offices nation wide any violation of 29 CFR.1910 &1920 can result in fines that are in the millions.
Pros
cola, health insurance, life insurance, guaranteed pay
Cons
Rapid turnover of supervisors
MAIL HANDLER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJanuary 23, 2019
Although my position at USPS was a temporary holiday help position, it was a great opportunity. I had to leave due to pregnancy, but the chance to be hired on is there, if you are a great employee
Very busy
Mail Handler Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 24, 2019
Good place to work, but not long-term. You have a lot of down time, but when you work it makes the time go by quickly. The work can become strenuous at times.
Pros
No one really bothers you.
Cons
1 day off only

Want to know more about United States Postal Service?

Ask a question
Hard Work and Long Hours, But You Earn Your Money
Casual Mail Handler (CEP) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2019
I got the seasonal Casual Mail Handler position by applying online on USPS's website. The whole process takes about a month. All communication is done through email. After your interview, you will get tested for drugs, as well as be fingerprinted.

Then. you will attend a paid orientation.

• You will likely work 6 days a week and possibly 12 hours a day. Therefore, you will be tired.

• Your co-workers who have been working for many years will be helpful and nice, usually.

• As it is at many companies, some supervisors may be a bit curt or rude to some workers, however, most were nice.

Some people will say that hard workers are often given the more strenuous work, while "lazier" workers are given the easier tasks. I do believe that this does actually happen.

Hopefully, the station that you work at will have a somewhat clean facility with working bathrooms and water fountains.

I appreciate you for taking the time to read this, and I hope that you have an easygoing year.
Pros
Overtime Pay, Job Security
Cons
Mandatory Overtime Work 6 days a week
Good money. Long hours
MAIL HANDLER ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJanuary 28, 2019
Excellent place to work especially if you don’t have a family. The job is not hard it is repetitious work. The team for the most part was helpful to me.
very hectic
Casual Mail Handler (CEP) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 29, 2019
Very hectic and busy and a learning experience this job is not for everyone long hours mandatory overtime. lots of physical work sorting lifting moving mail.
Great place to work! Fast paced plant / Warehouse environment.
Mail Handler Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MO/ Orlando, FLJanuary 31, 2019
All military veterans should apply here. You do not have to be a delivery person. There is plenty of plant / warehouse work available.if you are honestly looking for a job but or are not making what you think you are worth, give USPS a try. The work is definitely worth the pay. Mail handlers usually have almost unlimited overtime available in the distribution centers. All of the positions pay well for the workload you will be doing. This is still one of the last great companies that will actually pay you time and a half and double time when you go over 40 hours. I mention that because there is a lot of mandatory overtime. LOL. But that check is going to be looking like a well cooked steak on payday.
Pros
Great pay!
Cons
This is not a con for me, but people complain about mandatory overtime.
To assist with mail being processed and ready to ship to station in a timely manner to be delivered to customers
Mail Handler Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 5, 2019
to assist with mail be shipped however this job takes up a lot of your time. they expect your life to be around post office hour that can be more than 8 hours 5 days
Productive fast paced enviornment
Mail Handler Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 8, 2019
Pleasure to work for a company that pays well and allows you to master skills effectively. Work hard to process mail efficiently and satisfy customers
Pros
Excellent compensation
Cons
Long working hours
My experience in USPS
Mail Handler Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 11, 2019
I enjoyed working for the USPS in my time there. I resigned for different employment, but given the opportunity I’d return to work for the postal service any time.
Pros
Great benefits, great pay, job security
Cons
Short breaks, slow turn over rate to become a regular
Postmasters and coworker are ignorant . Especially the the girl and man postmaster at night
Mail handler Assistant/ MHA (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEDecember 23, 2018
They treat the rookie as slaves and bring packages out on the dock in which the female postmaster isnt allowed to do so . The ones that be there longer think they have the upper hand over the rookie and supervisors. Coworkers are rude . Postmasters are unhelpful . I wouldn't recommend this job at all . Especially at this location . And bathroom and lunchroom doesn't get cleaned and is very nasty. So much for being the post office .
Pros
Pay
Cons
Short break. Unorganized . Nasty
a typical day at work
Casual Mail Handler/ PSE (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 15, 2019
a typical day at the post office was alot of work around the holiday season. some days were slow but mostly we are working and what i like about it is we could work and have fun at the same time that your getting your work done.
Mail Handler
CEP Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTJanuary 15, 2019
Many flaws in how things are run at USPS and I gave some solutions to hopefully make next holiday period flawless. Good people working there. Some lazy people that rest on the holiday help, but I learned to excel and show my managers that I was busting my butt at this job. Hoping to be called back.
Pros
Great benefits, good people
Cons
Lazy people that are allowed to do dumb things and still have a job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

56.2K