United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier

It's a job
City Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 18, 2018
It is a quick paced place to work. Everything is expected to be done within a certain time frame. Management can be quite pushy and can expect unrealistic time frames for the carriers to deliver a route.
Part Time Work
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Black Mountain, NCFebruary 18, 2018
I was told I would be part time. Well the part time work turned into weekends and holidays also I was told 35 hrs or less. It turned into 50+ hrs a week no time for my family
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
To many hrs
Productive and Fun team workplace and Fun deliver customers services
Carrier Deliver Driver (Former Employee) –  Agoura Hills, CAFebruary 18, 2018
UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE It is a place of opportunities to grow in 3 important areas: labor, economic and intellectual, it has excellent benefits, it helps you develop and move forward.
Not very Good
Maintenance Tech/Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLFebruary 18, 2018
. I learned that the postal service is not what it use to be. I felt a significant lack of intelligence at the management level. Benefits and career advancement are not readily open. A mediocre job that ways heavily on time in service.
Pros
fresh air
Cons
lack of advancement
great
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 18, 2018
loved it honestly wish the could transfer me but i need to get back home. this place takes care of you and can almost never be fired after your 90 days. GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Working for the Post Office is a Nightmare
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDFebruary 17, 2018
I worked at the Post Office as a CCA for a few months, working for the United States Postal Services was one of my dreams, until I figured out what is the real life in the Post Office, technically CCA's have to be like "RAMBO", no time to eat no time for bathroom, rushing all the time, the supervisor called me every two hours asking me about my delivery progress, because she wanted me to finish ASAP and go to help others, long walking hours in the rain, snow, windy days, etc., when I first started my weigh was 248 pounds in less than three months I lost about 35 pounds, I got blisters on my feet because as I said I used to walk for about 8 hours every day, the paid is not bad, but as a CCA there are not benefits until you became a regular which probably takes for ever, because every station has CCA's that have been there for years waiting for an opportunity to became regulars and of course it goes by seniority, the cooworkers are very helpful, the management is the worst ever, I guess they need some kind of special training, I do not recommend this job to anyone but as I always say, "you have to try", if you don't try you won't ever know.
Pros
Good pay, helpul co-workers
Cons
Management, long working hours, no time for family
Work in all weather conditions, sometimes lifting heavy parcels, work is repetitive
Highway Contract Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Antlers, OKFebruary 17, 2018
Transporting mail from main Post Office to smaller Post Office and then casing mail and preparing mail for delivery on route. Loading mail and parcels for delivery over 100 mile route with 150 boxes. Delivering mail and sometimes having to deliver parcels to residences if too large to fit box. Collecting outgoing mail, selling stamps if needed, filling out notice forms if parcel can't be delivered and has to be picked up at Post Office. Carrying outgoing mail back to main Post Office when route is finished. Updating and maintaining route book on a daily basis to be turned in monthly to update and maintain address records. Management is helpful and knowledgeable. There is generally a team work atmosphere. The hardest part of the job is driving and delivering mail under severe weather conditions, i.e. flooding, ice, snow. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the seasons change and seeing the wildlife in the countryside.
Stressful but worth it (sometimes)
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 17, 2018
days are long
hard work
you have to catch on really fast
the workplace is hectic before you leave on your route
if you like the out doors its the job for you
Feels like your in prison
City letter carrier (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CA 93705February 16, 2018
Work too many hours with maybe 1 day off a week. Mandatory 12 hour work days. Mandatory sunday delivery. May take up to 3 years to become a regular but still have to work over time if they mandate you. Wouldn't recommend for someone who has a family.
Few Hours
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIFebruary 16, 2018
Decent job. Unpredictable hours. Not a bad job, just not enough hours. Don't plan on working 40 hours a week. Have worked 7 days straight and not had overtime.
I would not recommend this Job.
Offers Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Broomall, PAFebruary 16, 2018
I would not recommend this job due to poor management and the over extended working hours. Along with lack of sympathy to outside life and priorties. They are extremely unprofessinal and do everything underhandedly.
carrier
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 16, 2018
days were long
had to wrok rain sleet or snow,
you have to catch on really fast
the workplace is hectic before you leave on your route
if you like the out doors its the job for you
Pros
you get to work the outdoors
Cons
the cold is frigid
stressful
City Carrier (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 16, 2018
Great job but extremely stressful. Constantly being watch and pushed by supervisors to do more work but not allot extra time. Always a fear of being written up.
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYFebruary 15, 2018
Great place to work, everyone is friendly, great pay, great hours everything is great. If you like being out on you’re own this is the job for you and if you like being outdoors
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
meet a lot of good people
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 15, 2018
you work eight to ten hours, five to six days a week, the job is much harder then people think, but is rewarding, management makes the job harder then what it is,, the workplace can get out of hand at time with all the last minute changes,,, the pounding your feet takes walking and the dogs. Some of you customer are some of the people you can meetge
Pros
meeting good people on you route
Cons
getting chase my dogs, and the unfriendly customers
Good Money
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 15, 2018
At the post office you can say goodbye to life outside of work. You will work long days and get plenty of overtime. However you will make good money. But will you have the time to spend it?
Good money
Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYFebruary 15, 2018
Highly paid and extremely fast paced. Would recommend working here. When your work is complete you go home. Christmas is chaotic. However, the compensation is well worth it. A lot of paid time off and continuous pay raises.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Time restrictions
Busy place
LETTER CARRIER (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 14, 2018
A typical day at work was mostly delivering mail to residential and businesses. The workplace culture was great but the hardest part was dealing with weather conditions in the winter.
Poor Managment
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Park Ridge, ILFebruary 14, 2018
unhealthy enviroment, no room for growth, to many hours, not able to get time off, rude managers and post masters, gender bias work place, not order with workers
Rural Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Haleyville, ALFebruary 14, 2018
This was a good place to work with friendly coworkers and managers. I was only working there part time while I was going to college. I would recommend to others.
Pros
Varied work environment throughout the day
Cons
Working out in all types of weather

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

54.7K