United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier

Great place to work if you plan to not have a life
Rural Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 16, 2018
The post office is constantly understaffed. It is not a very family friendly place to work unless you are a regular employee. As a RCA takes 7+ years to become regular status where you finally begin to get benefits.
Like working on your own pace.
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 16, 2018
Working on your own at your own pace, can take break at your own time and lunch time. Like going to different areas in the community learning and seeing new streets and different houses and some new neighbors in different communities if there out Waiting for there packages to be delivered.
Pros
When the weather is good outside to work.
Cons
In Traffic on the way back to the Post Office.
Been with USPS for 20 Years. I need to work 5 days a week.
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 16, 2018
I've been with the USPS for 20 years and I've been working six days a week and all the available overtime for this entire time.
I'm not afraid to work hard or long hours or overtime, however, I'm interested to learn what jobs might be out there that will allow me to work five days a week for a similar salary. Having weekends off is much more conducive to family living.
Pros
job security
USPS overall Review
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  NJAugust 15, 2018
If you're an outdoors person it's a beautiful job to work in. Peoples person awesome job to be in.

Management was very poor and unfair. Very cut throat and harassing.

Most enjoyable time I had was actually delivering and getting to see different ethnic people and communicate deliver their personal mail or package. Them being grateful for the time i took to greet them and personally give them a greeting everyday.
Pros
federal discounts, greeting/meeting new customers
Cons
harassing and cut throat managerial staff
Great job, money wise
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  N/AAugust 15, 2018
This is a perfect paying job with GREAT benefits. I believe this job is for someone without kids. It’s hard to balance your outside life plus this job. It’s very demanding especially as a CCA.
Pros
Money
productive
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Imperial Beach, CAAugust 15, 2018
A typical day in the post office would be for me to sort out the mail that i was going to deliver. Once i sorted out the mail, i would get into the postal vehicle and drive to the neighborhood i was assigned to and then i would get out and start walking house to house and delivered mail. On an average i would walk 12 miles a day.
great pay, long hours
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2018
guaranteed overtime
long hours each day
over 60 hours week
work 6 days a week
can become stressful
culture is very old school
great check every two weeks
Pros
no micro management
Cons
poor management
Not for everybody
CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 14, 2018
If you like money and don't have a social life, this job is perfect for you. You're going to make good money, but you're going to work your butt off for it. Then after a while, you'll wonder if the money you're making is worth all of the work and unnecessary drama you have to put up with. The company will always come first, so don't plan on having any unplanned family emergencies that aren't death related. If you're able to get through the first three years where you're working six days a week and 8-10 hours a day, congratulations! You'll be promoted and only have to work FIVE days a week and 8-10 hours a day. Like I said, not for everyone..
Very fast paced and stressful place to work
CITY LETTER CARRIER (Current Employee) –  TXAugust 14, 2018
The company is a great place to work although management has a lot of conflicting instructions. Often seems unorganized. Pay and benefits are exceptional but that comes at the expense of your work and personal life balance. Delivering mail and packages is not complicated but it is hard work and is to be completed within designated time frame. The people in general are very supportive if you have questions about anything. Hardest part of the job is the time limit given to complete your route and auxiliary help along with extreme weather and animal elements. Best part of the job are the benefits and the relationships you create with your coworkers.
Pros
pay, benefits, supportive coworkers
Cons
difficult to find work/life balance
I loved carrying mail
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 14, 2018
While the elements can make carrying mail difficult, I really enjoyed being outside, walking 15 miles plus per day. The way the station can be run can be frustrating and difficult depending on where you are stationed. And as City Carrier Assistant you get one day off a week most of the year, and around the holidays you most likely will work everyday for months at a time.
Pros
Compensation, sunshine, exercise
Cons
weather, dogs, unfamiliar routes, spiders
Fast paced
Letter carrier (Former Employee) –  Harriman, TNAugust 14, 2018
Fast paced work environment. Excellent training with paid vacation days. I did not enjoy working in so many different stations. Benefits were good, except for the high deductibles.
Pros
I enjoyed a fast paced environment
Cons
Felt part time employees did not have adequate rain, snow gear allowance.
Must be dedicated and have an excellant memory. And be willing to work in all kinds of weather.
Sub mail carrier (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, AZAugust 14, 2018
It is very time oriented, with a certain amount of time allotted to sort mail and packages, make adjustments to the route for permanent and temporary mail holds, collect sensitive mail (certified, registered, any mail or packages requiring a signature, etc.), load vehicle and complete route before outgoing truck arrives at the PO.
Pros
Enjoyed the job for the most part once I was out on the route.
Cons
As a sub, I worked ALL weekends and holidays. And I had to provide my own vehicle, insurance, cover maintenance, etc. Granted, I was compensated at so much per mile, but didn't cover all expenses that were incurred annually.
Very long hours, no proper cooling or heating for the seasons.
Letter Carrier - Postal Office (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2018
Very long hours, no proper cooling or heating for the seasons. Everything is on a timed schedule, if you’re not ready for fast paced environment do not apply! You will not see your family at times either from late hours
A job is a job. It pays your bills.
USPS Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 14, 2018
This job will pay your bills nothing more nothing less. Working long hours and long work weeks. Your work in all weather conditions, early mornings and late nights. Will have to work in dark, heat, cold, and rain.
Good Money but no consistency
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Topton, PAAugust 13, 2018
Pay is good but each week can be different. They can send you to different offices and you never know how long you are gonna work each day. I work 6 days a week and it is tough to get some days off that you would need for vacations/weddings.
post office carrier
Postal Carrier (Former Employee) –  City carrierAugust 13, 2018
Just the pay was the hard part. But fun seeing other parts of town that I haven't seen. Get lots of exercise from walking. But very hard when the summer hits hard. Hardest part was if you didn't bring you lunch or even water you would be in trouble. The enjoyable was other people helping you on the route.
Pros
seeing the town, people helping
Cons
pay
Great workspace great pay
POSTAL SERVICE MAIL CARRIER (Former Employee) –  Eatontown, NJ 07724August 13, 2018
I enjoyed my time at the post office. Unfortunately the hours began to conflict with me finding childcare after 6pm. The supervisors are very helpful.
Hard work, little pay
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CAAugust 13, 2018
Very demanding job, you are expected to work very hard for a lot of hours. There is no flexibility with the scheduling and management does not care much for the people working for them. There are a lot of hours to be worked, so if you don't mind working overtime, this is the job for you. The pay is not a lot, but with the amount of hours worked, the paychecks can help you get by.
Loved everything about my experience!
City Carrier (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 13, 2018
I enjoyed MOST of the managers that I had the pleasure of working with (this is rare from what I understand in the PO). they were understanding and helped when needed.I LOVED my customers and my co-workers. Never had a bad experience with the post office. Would recommend to anybody! Great benefits, pay, etc. You don't have much of a work/life balance though. the job is stressful and you cant always get the time off that you need.
Coming in early to case mail
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 13, 2018
A typical day is coming into pickup your route to carry and get map of where the route is located on a daily bases. Once out on the route is a breeze a peace of mind just beware of dogs is the biggest problems.
Pros
Free breakfast sometimes
Cons
Take breaks when you can as long as you dont get behind

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.4K