United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier

Found 5,488 reviews matching the search See all 17,647 reviews
I really loved my job as a RCA
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GANovember 15, 2018
It was a great place to work, a great group to work with, and a great organization to work for. If I didn't have registered nursing as my passion, I would have stayed for a career.
Pros
good pay, fun environment
Cons
stressful, demanding
good pay for no degree
City Carrier (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 15, 2018
everything is time management. everything is supposed to be done in a certain time frame. casing mail, loading your truck, driving to your stops, delivering the mail, driving back, unloading, lunch. everything is supposed to take a certain time. and it can be a struggle sometimes to get into those times especially when new. would be easier if there was more employees actually working. the turn over rate of new employees is high. more employees makes it easier on everyone else. but the job is fast paced and hard on the legs and back. starting pay is 17/hr
Pros
17/hr
Cons
short breaks, fast paced
the most disrespectful and distrustful employer I've ever worked for
Letter Carrier Technician (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILNovember 15, 2018
-You will never be praised for doing a good job.
-Customers will lie on you and management will believe them.
-You will constantly be accused of engaging in time wasting practices.
-If you choose to be a carrier, management will secretly spy on you.
-You will be forced to work overtime against your will.
-Most likely the property you will work will have outstanding code violations.
-You will not be appreciated at all, especially if you become sick and need time off.
-There is a lack of communication between supervisors or management in general.
-Expect that one supervisor, who does absolutely nothing, to pass off their failings and incompetence onto you.
Pros
Double OT or Penalty Time which is 2xs your hourly
Enjoyed my coworkers
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 15, 2018
It was a wonderful place to work. I enjoyed meeting customers. My hourly wage helped us to keep up with the cost of living. I not only received five weeks of vacation per year but I also received 15 days military leave.
City Mail Clerk
City Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Sun City, AZNovember 15, 2018
Great company atmosphere -Fantastic coworkers -The work is so enjoyable -The clientele -Wonderful communication and transparency -Benefits
customer service
You will make good money but, you will suffer
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALNovember 14, 2018
The post office is very cut throat the supervisors don’t care about the CCAs. They work you to death you can be working your like craY and it isn’t appreciated. Everyone will tell you it’s a great place to work but, it’s only the money the mental stress is very hard to handle. You work 6 days a week you won’t be able to become, a regular carrier until 2 years after dealing with the supervisors madness. They talk to you crazy have unreal expectations supervisors want you to do everything and the one time you can’t they will treat you bad and talk to you any kind of way and oh yeah they will be blowing up your phone asking when will you be back unless carrying mail isn’t your dream you deal with madness for the first 2 years some people have mental breakdowns. But, I mean if you want a fat paycheck get talked to crazy, work over 50 hours a week and not have a life for 2 years straight then be my guest! I don’t think the mental stress is worth it!
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Clocking Out
Cons
Short Breaks, Crazy supervisors, no respect for CCAs, overworked
Lack of respect for employees
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2018
I worked 150 hours in two weeks during the Winter months due to senior employees always calling off at Northtown station! The harder you work and show up everyday the more work they give you! 12 hrs. worth or mail and you have 10 hrs. to complete it no time for lunch breaks.
Pros
slave money
Cons
slave work envioment for CCA'S
Terrible Management
CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Coconut Grove, FLNovember 14, 2018
Impromptu days off via text message, they can work you 12 days straight without a day off. It takes 2 to 3 years to become a full time employee. Different hubs same terrible management attitude everywhere. The environment feels hostile. Great benefits when full time. watch videos on youtube about postal employees.
Pros
pay
Cons
management
Great pay for no college degree, stable work, not much room for advancement, job gets old.
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Merrimack, NHNovember 14, 2018
I have been working at the post office for about 5 years now. I started as an RCA (rural carrier associate) and it was a fascinating learning experience to see the inner workings of the post office. It was not what I was expecting. I started off covering routes and didn't really have a stable schedule, although I had plenty of hours, it varied week to week. My office has an amazing postmaster and is always very willing to be understanding of my needs. You sort mail piece by piece in your case, pull all of it down into trays, sort packages and deliver your route.
Pros
Stability, security, work independently, drive and walk around outside (can also be a con in inclement weather, though), health benefits along with other services provided by the EAP.
Cons
little room for advancement, job gets boring, working outside being exposed to rain/snow/hot weather. Also, feeling underappreciated and over-worked by corporate and customers. The trucks are old, outdated, horrible in inclement weather, and lack most safety features found in modern vehicles. No ABS, no airbags, the seat does not adjust position other than back and forth from the steering wheel. Also, paper cuts.
Great fun place to work with potential growth
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Panama City Beach, FLNovember 14, 2018
The United State Postal Service is a fun exciting place to work, everyday will not be the same and there are always areas of improvement within the company
Quick paced and stressful
USPS Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Salley, SCNovember 14, 2018
It is a great job, the work is very fast paced and can be quite stressful around holidays. Once you get the hang of it, it gets easier. Advancement only occurs when an employee retires.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Not much advancement
Productive Fast Paced
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJNovember 13, 2018
Be productive, come to work on time. deliver mail in timely manner along with packages. Notify Personel of any supicious behavior going on in your environment.
Nice co-workers, nice customers.
Contract Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Willcox, AZNovember 13, 2018
A very satisfying job with great customers. Basically an easy job sorting mail, loading mail in my vehicle and delivering it to the customer's mailboxes. On occasion delivering packages direct to their home if within 3 miles of their mailbox.
Pros
Nice customers
Cons
Management not people oriented.
work place
mail carrier (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJNovember 13, 2018
I learned a lot from the permanent carriers. everyone was willing to teach me something new everyday. Not having someone breathing down your neck all day.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
walk abouts
Managment
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2018
Dont get me wrong, this could be an excellent career for the right person,right situation, but the contract and title that I worked under as CCA, is not the move. I wouldn't recommend this position, its a contract that is manipulated by the management team. There is no respect for the well being of the employee, nor the environment/culture you think that the USPS would offer, is nothing of what is expected.

Chaos is the word, lack of structure...team development, moral is low at its best.
Pros
Pay, mobility, Training
Cons
Management, Life work balance
Competence is not rewarded. Third of supervisors are psychotic
City Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Seattle. Oregon Coast, Valley, & Central OregonNovember 12, 2018
27 year retiree. Of dozens of supervisors I had, about a third were literally sociopaths, by scientific definition. You really learn to appreciate the third who are good, competent managers. The last third are just trying to make it to retirement under even more psychotic upper management. As a city letter carrier who worked in four different cities, I spent years as: the go-to guy; the lightening rod for bad mgmt; the solid productive worker; & the older, slightly slower guy they wanted to retire. You will have your role: work hard, enjoy what you can, & do NOT bend over backwards for bad managers! They’ll get promoted & move on anyway, while not caring about anybody else. And, after all was said & done, the NALC Union was worth supporting most of the time. (If you’re a thief, you WILL get caught, dummy!)
Pros
Pay & benefits are OK. Mostly good coworkers. Public appreciation.
Cons
Management culture. Physical wear, & personal stress. You MUST save for retirement.
Stressful, but you aren’t micromanaged as a carrier.
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MINovember 12, 2018
Stressful, but you are not under management all day as a carrier which can be a plus. Lack of communication amongst management which sometimes allows for a hostile work environment.
Easiest hard job I’ve ever had
Postal carrier (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 12, 2018
Working for the postal service was the most stressful job I have ever had. The job itself was easy and people are always willing to help you. The work can be hard on your body and mind.
Cca
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IANovember 12, 2018
* Showed how to case the mail.
*Pulled down the flats and spurs from the case.
* Loaded the dps, flats packages and spurs onto a cart.
*Loaded the dps and flats onto the LLV.
*Scanned all packages while loading them into the LLV
Very average
Demonstrated ability to Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 12, 2018
A typical day is very rushed and very stressful. What I have learned from working at the post office is that if you don't necessarily need a social life, and you are okay with making your life based primarily on work than the post office is the perfect job. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work at a very fast and challenging pace.
Pros
Working by yourself
Cons
Long days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.7K