United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier

hard job
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYDecember 10, 2017
fast paced, repetitive , district management does not understand that the mail carriers are human beings. they treat us more like robots and they cant do the job.
Poor management
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Homer, ILDecember 10, 2017
Don't care for this job at all. Never got to regular and would never which was my fault. As a54 yr old person all the walking was hurting, my body. I wanted to be able to walk at 60.
Pros
Free exercise
Cons
To many to write
Fast Passed and Stressful Workplace
City Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDDecember 10, 2017
The mail carrier is responsible for delivering various types of letters, certified mail, parcels and packages to home and business owners either on foot or via mail truck.
Benefits
Cons
Really Fast Passed Workplace
Simply Horrible
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 9, 2017
Work from 8am till 9pm at night, no time for your family and really no life at all. Supervisors follow your truck to see what you doing all the time. Your always forced to sign a training a booklet, a month after its due, and your never fully trained on anything. Management barely knows what to do, Amazon Sundays is the worst because you get there at 10am and your scanning packages till 2pm then you start deliveries lol the worst place Ive worked at in my life.
Pros
United health care with no co-pay thats it...
Cons
Too much too list
56 hour weekly - Must be soldier like, and ok not seeing family
City Carrier (Former Employee) –  Ballard, WADecember 9, 2017
I loved my job as a Postal Carrier but the way the managers treat people is really disheartening. There seems to be a lack of respect from both sides and generally everybody is pretty unhappy. There’s not much reward for working hard, and slackers can’t be fired so they end up getting overtime for being slow and makes hard workers lives harder. It’s a broken system all around. Definitely better off working for the competeiters. The hardest part of the job is how physically demanding it is. Especially when it’s pouring down rain, cold, freezing cold, snowing, very hot etc. Some days it’s wonderful, but some days are so miserable....
They don’t have enough workers which makes the job harder for everybody bc they pick up the workload of the absent mailman.
I think it’s a good place to work if you’re tough as nails and can’t find anything better.
Pros
Best job security
Cons
No time to see your family
a great place to work great!!! benefits
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 9, 2017
Great job just doesnt fit me. its fast paced. emphasis on accuracy. must be organized. alot of exercise. fun dealing with all the people. you can make alot of good friends.
I liked woking outside on my own.
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Vadnais Heights, MNDecember 8, 2017
The workplace culture is hostile. Management lacks people with an education beyond high school. Pressure to get the job done in 8 hours. Equipment that we used was old and sometimes difficult to use.
Pros
Pay and benefits.
Cons
Hostile work environment.
Family Friendly
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IADecember 8, 2017
Early morning required to be at work before 7:30 am, in order to sort your mail route for the day. This helps you plan out your work day for a smooth day.
loved it
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 7, 2017
I really enjoyed this job. I got to work on a solo basis. the only thing is they don't seem to take in to consideration is that when there is a hurricane and you have kids. that the family comes first.
Very physical job.
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockport, INDecember 7, 2017
I lost close to 25lbs when I started carrying mail. The first few weeks are tough, but once you get used to it it can be a great place to work. I worked in a small office with very little chance to become full time but I loved the people I worked with and the relaxed schedule.
Pros
Relaxed schedule, Great co workers
Cons
Small office not a lot of hours, or chance for advancement
stressful
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJDecember 6, 2017
very stressful, no help when desired to learn or in need of assistance, if you have 75minutes of casing work, management wants you to get it done in 45 minutes. Breaks are frowned upon if you are backed up, management prefers you to keep going and skip your breaks for the whole day. I can count in 7 months, I went on a full break 6 times. You need to learn how to multitask and safely too. Its not the same type of multitasking you do in a regular office. The post office is very different from any work you will ever do.
Its not for everyone
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 6, 2017
If you dont mind a lot of physical hard work this is the job for you. Includes standing, walking, or sitting for long periods of time. You work independently, with little inaction from others aside from people you encounter while on the route.
As far as management it varies from location to location. Generally you are expected be quick with no mistakes.
Starting out you will have to earned your vacation time. So for every 20 you work in a pay period you get 1 hour of leave.
Pros
Pay, leave, no one standing over your shoulder
Cons
Short breaks, limited access to restroom, working out doors in all weather condition
Cut Throat
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 6, 2017
Not Sure if it is just the location in which my position is, but the atmosphere at the Post Office is very stressful. I deliver in very dangerous areas in the pitch dark.
Pros
Pay is higher than others, job security
Cons
Location, amount of expectation vs pay
It was alright...
Rural Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZDecember 6, 2017
I have to say that I really didn't enjoy this job. It was so boring and mind numbing in the sort center. Couldn't wait to get out driving to delivery stuff.
Terrible job
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHDecember 6, 2017
Awful management that treats employees like pawns. Completely inflexible and upward movement is slow. The major problems are management and an impossible work-life balance when starting the job.
Cca
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orwigsburg, PADecember 5, 2017
Overall it was decent. The major problems that I have faced were no medical for the United States Government Employee, considering being in the inclement weather. Also young workers move faster than elder workers and the time monitoring is a chaotic mess.
Pros
Outside in Community, Government Job
Cons
Feds play mind games
My enjoyable day
Mail Carrier/ Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 5, 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the people on the route and helping them with anything I could with the post office help. Also receiving smiles from the customers or giving it to them.
Pros
smiles to the customers.
Cons
long hard hours.
very buisy
Rural mail carrier (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCDecember 5, 2017
I am looking for a part time job to make up for hours that I am not getting from the post office. I have done manufacturing work for over ten years so I have a lot of experience with that.
One of the best companies to work for in the US
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, TXDecember 4, 2017
I just started working with the USPS, but I love them. They are an excellent employer. I will update this review when I have had more time working with them.
Pros
Excellent pay and great management and atmosphere
Cons
Hard to secure permanent employment
Stressful an unappreciative
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Englewood, CODecember 4, 2017
I didn't like working here. That's the bottom line. I worked extremely long hours and no one cared about the workers. The mail had to be delivered no matter what. My manager was a rude person.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.