United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Clerk

Usps
Clerk and Business Reply Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 3, 2018
As a young 23 year old the enticing salary is what kept me in the postal service when I first started. Soon after it became obvious that the perks of working there were also entice having 5 weeks a year off, what company gives that! The hours were not that bad and the work easy. Co-workers were a wide scope all ethnic groups with a large variety of backgrounds. Unfortunately the Postal Service is poorly managed and will probably someday be a private enterprise.
Pros
The money was great! Vacations time excellent.
Non-career clerk
USPS Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cadiz, KYNovember 7, 2018
Hired to work part-time, actually worked 6 days per week and sometimes made to come in on Sundays to receive Amazon. Worked Monday through Saturday and worked a split shift from 4am-11am and then back at 3pm-5pm. Got paid a good wage but working 6 days a week with a split shift didn't allow for any weekends off and working the day before and or after a holiday just sucked.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Hours, split shift, weekends, management, large quantity of packages
Stressful and competitive workplace
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 14, 2018
The ever changing postal service is geared for the fast paced strong bodied worker. Management is overly stressed by the corporate office and try to lead employees the best they can. This style of leadership tends to conflict in the job that needs to be done. In my opinion it is hard to follow orders as a supervisor if the people above you haven’t experienced the actual working environment.
Pros
Good benefits and retirement
Cons
High stress and bad hours
Stressful
Customer and Distrubiting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CAOctober 5, 2018
Anyone employed by the US Postal Service must understand you will be lifting heavy items all day and every Wednesday and Monday as a PSE Clerk your job is to unload 6 pallets up to 4 feet in height and process your daily job first and your pallets when you find the time or at the end of the day which your days can be up to 10 to 12 hours per day.
Pros
Working with friendly employee's
Cons
Your average two week work period 80hours; will not be 80 hours but 112 hours.
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYOctober 31, 2018
USPS is a good job, benefits etc. I've learned there are a lot of jobs within USPS if you're looking for upward mobility. Management can be difficult at times and sometimes unfair. At times certain areas are short handed and can be overwhelming to the employees.However, the job can be enjoyable if you have a good crew and supportive bosses.
Pros
Career Job
Cons
Have to be there maybe 1-2 years before becoming career
Horrible management
Clerk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, NEDecember 12, 2018
Extremely under-qualified/unethical mgmt. personnel; nepotism and non-existent line between mgmt. and employees make working conditions quite unacceptable.
Pros
Paid on time
Cons
Poor management -- mental, verbal, and emotional abuse by both mgmt. as well as employees. If an employee doesn't like you, he/she colludes with others to make your life miserable and make you leave or get you fired.
Co workers were fun to work with
Acting Supervisor & Window Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTNovember 9, 2018
Most employees over my 20 years were fun to work with. We had fun, but did our job. Most of the management was mean and made people feel bad. They didn't have much respect from their employers. My last 6 years was mostly very good. I worked in a small sttion and we had a good relationship.
Pros
Mostly nice coworkers and job secuirty
Cons
Supervisors that showed no respect
Stressful but Rewarding
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 26, 2018
You clock in and take your place at a machine that runs mail. You must keep the mail running through the machine. Sometimes it jams but you clear it and go. You take 30 minutes to load the mail and the other person that pulls the mail and puts it in a tray is doing 30 minutes. You will change positions and do her job.
Then it's a 15 minute break where you can sit and relax.
After break it's the same thing.
The hardest part is lifting trays above your head to place on top of the tray holder.
Sometimes keeping up with the machine is hard. You do a lot of running up and down the aisle to make sure the ledges are not full, because if it's not kept up, bells will start ringing.
Pros
Time off, Money, Benefits
Cons
Physical, challenging, and 2-3 weeks in advance for time off.
Unless you're ready to dedicate a year of your life to the post office, don't
Contracted Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2018
The post office is an absolute wonderful place that offers a lot of security IF YOU'RE A REGULAR. If you are a disposable postal service employee with no union to cover your back, you are then worked till you're run into the ground. I'm talking one day off every other week, sometimes no days off. 12 hour days. You ask for days off (FOR A WEDDING NO LESS) 2 months in a row, provide documentation of prior agreement, and still don't have it written down on the schedule. They don't care, you're disposable, and they know not many people have the fortitude to weather the wait it takes for previous regulars to retire.
Positivity, communication and patience are ones greatest assets here with the USPS.
CLERK (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 11, 2018
Typical day as a Postal Support Employee (PSE = Assistant Clerk) is an on avg 9 hr day with a 4am start. One 30 min lunch, and two 10 min breaks. Lifting, scanning and distributing hundreds of parcels, sometimes alone. Find oneself at a station with helpful and kind employees? Push through because ya hit the jackpot! I learned the right and wrong way to go about engaging people. The benefits are great, the hourly compensation is less than what employees deserve. Career employees (Clerks) get sit and talk with customers all day.
Pros
Union benefits
Cons
Takes years to obtain regular hours, physical stress
Very Fast Paced Environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bardstown, KYSeptember 10, 2018
USPS is not a family friendly place, i know many clerk that were working 60+ hours and that is no way to live. I myself was thrown around a lot and many times they would call with little notice and say you had to be somewhere by a certain time.

This makes it hard to plan anything and when you need time off they ask many questions like you are not supposed to use your vacation time.
Pros
Good money for low costs of living areas, Will get plenty of hours if you want them, Long lunch breaks
Cons
Very little benefits, When you make ptf they screw you over with hours, Not a very good work/life balance, Management is incapable of proper communication with employees
productive
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MDDecember 4, 2018
i loved to get up everyday and go to work at the post office i was working there for the holiday and i loved it and didnt want to leave when my contract was up i loved the pay i loved the hours and the manadatory overtime i loved the breaks we allowed to get and take and to interact with other employers in different departments and meeting new ppl
Pros
pay hours benefits
Cons
seasonal work
Fast paced, Cuthroat, Environment
USPS Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 13, 2018
This job requires a lot out of you, if not all of you. They do not consider personal life or other priorities, you must be 100% commited to them, when they call, you better answer, never plan anything, all is subject to change, even your day off. You will work overnights, which arent too bad actually, but they will sometimes need you to come back that very same day.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
understaffed, heavy load, inflexibility
Window clerk job is ok, time goes by very quickly when busy
Window clerk (Current Employee) –  Providence, RI , Johnson RIOctober 1, 2018
Can be short staffed, management plays favorites, allows employees to act unprofessionally ( an employee in my office is constantly singing at the top of their lungs when not on the window, despite customers complaining about it )
Pros
Pay, benefits, interacting with customers, friendly co workers
Cons
Standing most of the time, lifting heavy parcels
Working for the postal service is the never ending story of mail,mail,mail.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYNovember 18, 2018
Working for the postal service was actually very good.Attendance was one of the biggest musts.I worked in the Long Island distribution center and everyone had a specific job to do.As long as you did your job nobody bothered you.Timed breaks and lunch were very strict.
Benefits
Cons
Strict work environment
The last 12 years were the best.
Clerk/Technician (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 24, 2018
Over the years the PO went through many changes. For instance the first 10 years everyone woraked 12hrs a day 7 days a week including holidays.
Not a happy environment. The 12 hr day vanished when the union contract said 12 hrs ok BUT the last 2 were Double time.
People were getting more family time.
As I move to better positions I receved better pay assignments closer to home.
The last 12 year's the manager were much nicer and every thing was less stressful.
Pros
Twards the end you could schedual time off.
Cons
In the early years your treatment was determended supervisors mood.
clearks and carriers once you become career you can expect great benefits holiday pay health care at a low cost PTO holidays off Substitutes, for e
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXOctober 8, 2018
clearks and carriers

once you become career you can expect great benefits
holiday pay
health care at a low cost
PTO
holidays off

Substitutes, for either craft is very stressfull.
benefits
Cons
no benefits until you are regular
I enjoy my job every day.
PTF Clerk (Current Employee) –  Perrinton, MINovember 2, 2018
My job at the Post Office is one i look forward to every day. I enjoy my colleagues, customers and my boss. Every day brings a new challenge. Because of a restructuring in our offices i am losing hours necessary to maintain a living. I am saddened by this change of events.
Pros
Working with people and relative independence.
Cons
hours
The post office can be a challenging environment, but also a satisfying and rewarding place to work
Clerk/PTF (Former Employee) –  Isle, MNAugust 3, 2018
Be on time, scanning and accuracy are a very important part of the work activities (because of tracking).
I love assisting customers who come in with questions on best way to ship etc.

Reports and scans are a big part of the daily work, and some have to be done by a certain time, along with assisting customers at the window.

The most enjoyable parts of the job are many people who come in, some of my co-workers and accomplishments for the day.
Glorified welfare
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Opa-locka, FLAugust 25, 2018
It has all become a numbers game with the USPS management is very insensitive to employees needs. When I first started in the USPS things were very much more different. My father was a career carrier and I followed in his footsteps but as a clerk. They pay is ok for no skills and a HS education but you will be pulling the hair out of your head everyday.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.9K