United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Clerk

working at the post office was a good experience for me
Window Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2017
the post office is one the best job I ever had. I enjoyed doing the customer service, speaking to people of different cultures. I also learn how to do some office work and ordering. I sorted mail manually and got a lot with my co workers and supervisors.
s/a
Manual Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 8, 2017
This is a repetitive question which I already answered. typical day would include payroll, accounting, data entry and personnel functions. the management most of time was fair but you always had the ones with favorited. there was no hard part for me. the most enjoyable was completing assigned work.
Very stressful
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2017
Working for the postal service is very tough and repetitive. Expect to work long hours and lots of stressful days with lack of pay. They only care if the mail is on time. They won't care if you have a family or school you will work hard for decent pay but it's not worth the work stress
LSM Operator
Clerk - LSM Operator (Former Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 3, 2017
This is a Level 6 position that was condusive to my job expectations. The LSM was discontinued in the late 90's.The most enjoyable part of the job was you had the opportunity to key mail at 100% all while listening to your music on your headphones as well as sitting down. Many employees in management tried to make this seem as if it were a distraction, but it was totally obvious, that they were jealous because they had to do more stressful work duties and were basically making the same pay. It is what it is.
Pros
3 break periods: 2 15-minute breaks and 1 30 min. lunch break
Cons
Jealous management: In a lot of cases, floor employees brought home more pay salary than those of management. Conflict.
Life at the Post Office
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 2, 2017
I worked from 4am til 3pm. The morning started out very hectic. I was tasked to sort all mail that came in for that morning and deliver in to the driver employees. Any parcels that came through the office were handled by 1 other employee besides myself. I had to memorize which streets in the 19067 area were designated to which drivers route. I had to know the addresses and toss the products in the right mail carriers bucket. After that i stocked the entire Post Office Delivery. I also did jobs that i was not assigned to help out like shoveling in the snow.
Pros
Fast Pace, Good Pay
Cons
May be too fast paced and stresfi;
its ok idepends on your hours and shifts
Window Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2017
the post office is a hard place to work at it can be fun at times and the customers you meet different cultures every day its a challenge day to day you never know what to inspect all i can say is just do your job and you will be alright I like it
Pros
no frree lunch or less we are in a meetting
Cons
breaks you must take it on time and be back on time so other staff can take there breaks
Basically besides management job is good
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYNovember 27, 2017
Management is horrible. Job is ok pay is ok could be better pay with all the work they expect from you and put on you. As soon as I️ can find something better I️ will be putting in my 2 weeks.
Pros
Good job
Cons
Short breaks
All about mail
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 25, 2017
There’s barely any care of the employees. Is the mail over your life. I tried to change my schedule from night working being that I have a young baby but they didn’t accommodate with me.
Great co workers.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDNovember 25, 2017
Great place to work some days slow some days fast pace. Great co workers will help anytime if you need help. Very good at safety. I would recommend people to work for them.
Pros
health insurance
good place to work good job security
window clerk (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILNovember 21, 2017
I made many really good friends,some of which I still keep in contact.I also continue to bank at the Postal credit union.I received several service awards while working the window
Pros
great benefits and job security after probation
Cons
night shift was getting hard on this old body
A very reasonable place to work.
Window Clerk (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 19, 2017
Most of my working career at the Postal Service was adequate and, for the most part, enjoyable. It allowed me to pursue my educational interests and save a considerable amount of money. It offered fine benefits.
Pros
Good benefits, good vacations (five weeks/yr), good pay, two breaks per day and a fair lunch period.
Cons
Rotating management personnel made it difficult to cope at times.
N/a
Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 15, 2017
The post office is a great company I would recommend anyone work for the Post Office thank you for the opportunity they are also an overall great company to work for
Busy
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ALNovember 15, 2017
I loved working for the USPS. I was a Clerk and it was by far a great job. Due to me being a part time employee, i did not recieve any benifits and had to go elsewhere
Fast paced & productive "Get the job Done" atmosphere
Holiday Assistant Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 15, 2017
The people are mostly helpful, all the way from the top down, but just like everywhere else, there are always one or two that you have to watch closely. For the most part, the management at the Meridian Post Office seem to be for the employee in every way, trying to help out and make their job easier if possible.
I only work weekends over all of the Holiday seasons, and I wish for more work opportunity in the future, and am open to more hours as new positions become available.
The hardest part of the job can at times be finding the right place to deliver the package to. even with the advanced scanners that are sometimes available, the directions may not be accurate, and the actual building may have an address, but not be built yet. The most enjoyable part I think is the presence of team effort that is sometimes seen. So often, that has gone to the wayside years ago with people just out for themselves nowdays, but at the P.O., there are may employees that will still take time to give you a tip, or a helpful piece of advice. I think that is very nice. I always appreciate the effort and the offer of the friendly gesture!!
Pros
Freedom to use your own autonomy in getting your work done
Cons
The hours; I wish there were more
Fast paced, productive
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ALNovember 15, 2017
Excellent job but it was only temporary and I was considered a part time employee even tho I worked as a full time employee. I did not receive any benefits due to only being part time.
Great benefits, slow moving promotions
PTF clerk (Current Employee) –  East TexasNovember 14, 2017
The work can be stressful. You never know how much or how little work you will have each day. The schedule is ALWAYS subject to change. The atmosphere can be very cut-throat. At certain times of the year the work can be extremely challenging. Meeting all the necessary deadlines can be challenging and rewarding at the same time.
Pros
Benefits, pay
Busy
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 13, 2017
Great money and benefits! Fast paced environment. Great exercise because of the large facility. Long hours and plenty of overtime. Twenty-four hour operation.
Not very good
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INNovember 10, 2017
I was a holiday temp. They tell you, you will work 4am until noon. Then your first day they make you come in at midnight and work until noon and that is now your regular shift. You didn't get any breaks nor a lunch break. Required you to work 7 days a week. They lie to you to make you want the job and to make it sound so great. Very disappointed.
Pros
Good money
Cons
No breaks, long hours, no days off
Repetitive environment.
General Clerk/ Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 8, 2017
The Job is not difficult at all, its management that's the problem.
All clerks start as PSE Clerks and you could make regular in 2-4 years. The time that you put in don't count.
Pros
Job security
Cons
As a PSE, the union controls work hours.
Good place to work first 20 years much less friendly place to work last 18 1/2
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 3, 2017
Management currently is not the best. The job is hard on the body and challenging to some mentally. I did not find it challenging mentally. The pace and physical requirements would be the hardest part for most employees. The employees for the most part get along fine and enjoy each other. The job pays well and has good benefits, I left because I was eligible to retire and could afford to.
39 years ago it was a very good job. Now its average at best.
Pros
Pay and benefits.
Cons
Mind numbing hard physical job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.