United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Clerk

Varied hours, difficult career advancement
PTF Clerk (Current Employee) –  Caribou, MEJune 18, 2018
This job varies greatly on your craft. If you’re a clerk you have a completely different set of hours, pay, benefits and expectations than if you are a carrier, either rural or city. It also depends on what size office you’re hired into. Unfortunately, a beginning employee does not know the differences. It is very wise before seeking employment with the USPS to discuss the pros and cons with a current employee.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Varied schedule and lack of advancement opportunities
Fun place to work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Athol, KSJune 17, 2018
Love the interacting with the people of the community, became very close with many of them. Leaned as much as possible working in a small Post Office.
Pros
Worked very close to home
Cons
Only was Part time
productive
PTF Clerk (Current Employee) –  dawson ga 39842June 11, 2018
It"s a great place to work for people with older kids the hours are no longer working for me. Because I have a four year old son and my work hours are from 6 a.m its hard for me to get someone to keep him or get him off to school.
Very stressed
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJune 8, 2018
This job will take away any chance of happiness. You won't have a life. You work on Sundays. There is too much overtime. management can't keep track of what is going on
Productive place with great people to work with
Holiday Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mabank, TXJune 6, 2018
I enjoyed working here even though it was a seasonal position. I would love to work with the postal service again. I learned a lot working there for just a short period of time and loved the people I worked with. Some days it could be a lot of work but if I needed help it was there.
Pros
Great Pay
Wonderful career
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 5, 2018
The best career for young people to start with. Young people should try this job. It's a great career and lots of fun. Carriers are always needed. Best jobs for young people.
Pros
Every day experience
Cons
Promotion are not quick
Loved the work
Part time clerk (Former Employee) –  Paintsville, KYJune 4, 2018
Repetitious
Job supplied modules to help you stay up to date on new equipment
I enjoyed working for management
Co-workers were great to help
Low hours
The people
Pros
Great working conditions and co-workers
Cons
part time
Were it not for the pay I would have quit months ago
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Philomath, ORJune 3, 2018
This is the worst company I've ever worked for in terms of worker treatment. Morale is terrible. Management is inept in most cases. They do not care if you have a family or cancer. You are just a number here.
Oh...and the "great benefits" are not that great compared to other companies. I wish I had known this to begin with.
Pros
Hourly wage
Cons
everything else
Temporary
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2018
A typical day at work : start time is 4:00am
What I learned : fast-paced . too many verbal instructions from supervisor to memorize
Management : not concerned enough to supervise workplace safety . unprofessional
Workplace culture : rushed to meet unrealistic time pressure with minimal staff
Hardest part of the job : meeting time constraints and deadlines
Most enjoyable part of the job : completion of job at the end of the season
Pros
per hour payscale
Cons
no benefits
this was a holiday clerk position
Clerk/Holiday (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMay 31, 2018
I worked a lot of long hours, fast paced, sometimes stressful but in all a fun time. The pay was good, the people were mostly friendly and fun at times.
Pros
great pay
Productive place to work
Holiday Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAMay 30, 2018
I was working as an assistance holiday clerk, on daily basis I am part of production team at the back of the office. We sort received bulk packages from Amazon, other mailing offices and external courier, scanned all incoming mails and distribute to different routes for delivery. The job is more physical and you need to be a hard working person to accomplish certain task. The most enjoyable part of the job is free food and coffee.
No life
Clerk (Former Employee) –  OhioMay 29, 2018
You have no life working at usps. You have no job stability until you make "regular." Until then, you are a non career employee and you are treated unfair and they take advantage of you. Very rarely will you find a good postmaster. Upper management is very unfair and cruel. They expect you to put them first, working crazy hours and crazy days. They are allowed to schedule you up to 14 days straight including sundays. Management will also rush you at your job but then get mad when you mess up. If you do work there, I would highly recommend signing up for the union. You will need them. I worked here for 8 months as a carrier and then 1.5 years as a clerk. The pay is wonderful and I loved the people I worked with but management is horrible and they are very shady. They'll do anything to protect themselves and each other, even if they are in the wrong. The money wasn't worth it to me and I quit there. I'm now happy because I get more time with family and I have my life back. Watch your back if you decide to work there. It makes me sick to even think about that place.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, management is absolutely inhumane, no time off
not stable
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 29, 2018
not a stable job. one day you can be working 8 hours and the next day you can only get 2 hours. sometimes you have to take 2 or 3 hour lunches so that they can have you there early in the morning and later on in the day without having you on the clock. I have been asked several times to work off the clock. I have been told that I would have the following day off and then get a phone call at 2 in the morning telling me to report at 5 am
productive
PTF Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lyman, SCMay 29, 2018
I really enjoyed working for the postal service. I was a great opportunity and I learned a lot from it. I would go back to work there if I had the opportunity.
Pros
great pay
Cons
hours
Great co workers
Clerk- Perform any combination of tasks (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMay 29, 2018
The management team causes a lot of stress. My position was a positive challenge. The customers were a joy to service! I would love to continue in my career with the Postal Service; as an Regular/Permanent employee.
Great benefits but that's about it
Clerk (Current Employee) –  New YorkMay 22, 2018
The postal system is a constant battle to advance. You get passed over and cheated out of advancement opportunities fairly often. People will use the system to their advantage and claim to be your friend and try to get you in trouble the next minute.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Long lunch breaks and work 6 days a week.
Bad Experience
Holiday Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 22, 2018
Very political, bad management, did not give us a lunch for 6 hours or did she train us on jobs before ordering us to do it. Barked orders demeaning.
Pros
Cons
no breaks or training overworked 6 hours without a lunch
Fast-paced
Holiday Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montgomery Village, MDMay 19, 2018
Working at USPS was amazing but very fast-paced and tiresome. A usual work day will have you working 9 hours and can sometimes go up to 12 hours, depending on the influx of mail. The pay is great but expect to be very tired after a days work.
liked working for PO have no complaints
window clerk, supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albertson, NYMay 18, 2018
started as a carrier did that for one year. transferred to clerk,became a higher level dispatcher,then a supervisor.took a postal job out of state for 3 years. bid back to new york spent my last 20 years in a small office in nassau. liked the office ,got along good with management and employees. had a lot of overtime and had great working hours.
Pros
great working hours, 5 weeks vacation
Cons
wished salary was better, worked many part time jobs
Fast paced environment. Management is under pressure to get mail out in a timely manner which trickles down to clerks to get it out quickly
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJMay 18, 2018
If they would take a little more time to take suggestions from clerks and other non management workers thinks may run a little more smoothly.SOME of the upper management speaks to regular workers as if they mean nothing and takes our suggestions as a grain of salt.
Pros
benefits, union is great
Cons
payrate is great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.2K