United States Postal Service Employee Reviews for Clerk

Fast paced, Cuthroat, Environment
USPS Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 13, 2018
This job requires a lot out of you, if not all of you. They do not consider personal life or other priorities, you must be 100% commited to them, when they call, you better answer, never plan anything, all is subject to change, even your day off. You will work overnights, which arent too bad actually, but they will sometimes need you to come back that very same day.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
understaffed, heavy load, inflexibility
This agency is great, i have nothing more to include
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Starke, FLSeptember 12, 2018
I enjoy being employed with the United States Postal Service. With USPS we are customer driven, therefore that's what is important. I have nothing more to include
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Positivity, communication and patience are ones greatest assets here with the USPS.
CLERK (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 11, 2018
Typical day as a Postal Support Employee (PSE = Assistant Clerk) is an on avg 9 hr day with a 4am start. One 30 min lunch, and two 10 min breaks. Lifting, scanning and distributing hundreds of parcels, sometimes alone. Find oneself at a station with helpful and kind employees? Push through because ya hit the jackpot! I learned the right and wrong way to go about engaging people. The benefits are great, the hourly compensation is less than what employees deserve. Career employees (Clerks) get sit and talk with customers all day.
Pros
Union benefits
Cons
Takes years to obtain regular hours, physical stress
great place to work.you have job security/advancement
window clerk (Current Employee) –  Rollinsford, NHSeptember 11, 2018
i love my job at the p,o,I have met a lot of great people in the community and am not looking to leave it. Its a great place to work it does have advancement but I am not looking to leave my great position I have.
Very Fast Paced Environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bardstown, KYSeptember 10, 2018
USPS is not a family friendly place, i know many clerk that were working 60+ hours and that is no way to live. I myself was thrown around a lot and many times they would call with little notice and say you had to be somewhere by a certain time.

This makes it hard to plan anything and when you need time off they ask many questions like you are not supposed to use your vacation time.
Pros
Good money for low costs of living areas, Will get plenty of hours if you want them, Long lunch breaks
Cons
Very little benefits, When you make ptf they screw you over with hours, Not a very good work/life balance, Management is incapable of proper communication with employees
I love everything about my job.
PTF Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ontonagon, MISeptember 10, 2018
I love my job with the USPS. I hope to and look forward to moving up into a full time position someday! I do wish it were more consistent right now. Im hoping to get into HR or a Postmaster position one day!!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 5, 2018
Task and detailed orientated job
Great hour
Fast pasted
Sorting mail
Collecting mail
Keeping work space neat
Working with computer an scanners
Lifting heavy boxes
Pros
Great hours and pay
Cons
Will work you
Well paid, no stress work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 4, 2018
worked an automated machine as a data entry clerk - straightforward, do your job, and go home with no headache work. No problems with management as long as you do your work..
Pros
No stress
Cons
Breaks tied to machine schedule
i would say its just a okie place
Window Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYSeptember 3, 2018
its a secure job thats all i could say. poor management and poor union . have to work like a on cal doctor. Coo workers are no good.everything depends on the post master
Very physical work
Clerk/ RCA (Former Employee) –  Daleville, IN/indianapolis, in/fishers,inAugust 31, 2018
Very physical work. You work untill you are finished. Some post masters are not ideal. If you find a good post master/ supervisors stay with that post office. RCA takes 3- 5 years to become permanent employee with benefits. Very good pay if you can take the heat.
Pros
Very good pay
Cons
Long hours, not so nice employees @ some locations
I miss the post office.
Window Clerk (Former Employee) –  Linden, NJAugust 31, 2018
The USPS is like a work family that I've never seen. People laugh, cry, and celebrate together. My time working there got stressful around Christmas but other than that, life was great!
This is a good place to work.
USPS Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CAAugust 29, 2018
This is a fast paced place to work and you must be able to lift heavy objects. This is a hard job to do. It will take you time to get use to it and be able to do it well.
Fun workplace
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wylie, TXAugust 29, 2018
I applied as a part time but they have lot of hours. Its good place to work, fun. Working environment but they have a lot to do. Other worker, they are good too.
Pros
nothing free
Cons
no breaks
Excellent
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXAugust 28, 2018
I enjoyed working at the post office. Everyone was always pleasant and always willing to help. I learned a lot about processing mail and how it reach it's destinations in such a timely manner
Productive & friendly environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 27, 2018
You find that team work makes the dream work. It’s a partner effort, which helps you with social skills & other job related practice. I enjoyed my time but I want a new experience
Glorified welfare
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Opa-locka, FLAugust 25, 2018
It has all become a numbers game with the USPS management is very insensitive to employees needs. When I first started in the USPS things were very much more different. My father was a career carrier and I followed in his footsteps but as a clerk. They pay is ok for no skills and a HS education but you will be pulling the hair out of your head everyday.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
The last 12 years were the best.
Clerk/Technician (Former Employee) –  Reston, VAAugust 24, 2018
Over the years the PO went through many changes. For instance the first 10 years everyone woraked 12hrs a day 7 days a week including holidays.
Not a happy environment. The 12 hr day vanished when the union contract said 12 hrs ok BUT the last 2 were Double time.
People were getting more family time.
As I move to better positions I receved better pay assignments closer to home.
The last 12 year's the manager were much nicer and every thing was less stressful.
Pros
Twards the end you could schedual time off.
Cons
In the early years your treatment was determended supervisors mood.
This place sucks.
clerk (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 24, 2018
Years of mismanagement have caused the continued decline of the USPS and they refuse to address the internal problems, choosing to blame external sources and cry poor, begging for higher and higher rates, losing more customers.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
incompetent management
hard working
USPS Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 23, 2018
busy atmosphere and repetitive. its a work out everyday so no worries you will stay in shape but its a diverse atmosphere and being a hard worker pays off.
Productive up tempo workplace
P.S.E Clerk (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 23, 2018
Worked a holiday position for this company and really enjoyed it. Really up tempo and never was a slow time during the holiday mail rush. Would not mind working for the postal service again.
Pros
Decent break times
Cons
Long standing hours could be hard on some.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.5K