United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

More complicated then youn would think
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  The Plains, VAFebruary 13, 2018
As a mail carrier you are working out in all the weather - rain, sleet, snow, blazing sun.....5-7 days a week. Just with any government agency, they are too top heavy with managers. My Post Master is great, he stands up for us, but not all are like him.
Pros
Cons
Too many managers
good job for a single person
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 13, 2018
Initially I was excited to join the USPS however after being hired it has been a difficult adjustment for my home life. Lots of hours, weekends and strenuous work. It's not worth the sacrifice when you are no longer at home to be with your family.
Pros
great salary and benefits
Cons
no social/home life
I loved working there and the customers were great.
PMR/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, KSFebruary 13, 2018
Cleaning Lobby
Answering Questions
Answering Phone calls
Training others
Pros
Fun if you like to work by yourself
Cons
Lonely
Getting the job done
Mail Handler Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 13, 2018
the work load was easy some time hard but safety was the good and keeping area clean and organize a must and processing mail correct and clearing up makes that was at hand
Pros
fiendly place very stable place to be daily
Cons
no benefits for contract work and hard to be place on full time
Worked here as a contractor
Product Manager, USPS.com (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 13, 2018
Great company to work for. Great culture and benefits. I recommend anyone to work at this company. I would definitely work here again if I could. I liked the management.
Not direct USPS
Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) –  West Dover, vtFebruary 13, 2018
The resort has a mailroom where we process all inbound and outbound mail with daily trips to the post office. We communicate with the post office everyday in regards to packages and bulk mailings.
Strong Intellectual Intelligence Required
City Carrier Assistant (CCA) (Former Employee) –  Bellflower, CAFebruary 13, 2018
The work is pretty stable. The day starts early at about 7:30a and is done anywhere between 4:15 to 6:15p. Two hours in the morning to case mail and the remainder to load truck and carry mail. There is very little downtime, (2) 10min breaks and (1) 30min lunch. Mgmt does not encourage any act that waists time (taking, etc.). The only concern is the mail. The culture is isolation and focus on the job. Safety is priority. The hardest part of the job is the long work hours, the toll it takes on the body, the psychological bureaucracy/ warfare, unskilled/ untrained mgmt, organized chaos. The most enjoyable part of the job is being outside on your own and the respect and consideration from customers.

Since I have been at the post office I have been able to see how this agency uses several different systems in order to accomplish a common goal. They have found a way to utilize the best systems (military, body mechanics, data analytics, etc.). Being an observant person I have learned different ways to be more efficient, eliminate wasteful habits, be more organized and think more in terms of time and outcome. I have also learned that psychology is a strong motivator. Though team work is still key in my opinion, I do understand the use of isolation and focus employed by the postal system. The post office is a good and honorable job, but it is not for everyone.
Pros
working outdoors, decent pay w/ benefits, longevity, sense of pride
Cons
long hours, untrained mgt, constant harassment from mgt, mind games
Mail Handler
Mail Handler (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 12, 2018
As part of my day to day operations my job at USPS was mainly to sort mail and help distribute the mail throughout the facility. Mainly by putting the mail through machinery
Pros
Overtime hours
Cons
only seasonal
Great coworkers
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Juana Díaz, PRFebruary 12, 2018
Accountable of a constant combination of tasks in a post office including but not limited to: receipt, stamp and organization of mail and parcels always ensuring procedure accuracy; Fill out all types of reports appointed to me with regards of my position, safeguarding the quality of the completed task; Assist, inform and held customer requests providing the best service possible while completing the remainder of assigned tasks in a timely manner; Developed several ways to maintain customer satisfaction in the most busy days; Skilled in handling loud and difficult customers always maintaining professionalism while following the applicable procedures.
Quiet, organized, and relaxed
Data Conversion Operator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 12, 2018
While working for the Postal Service at Chattanooga Remote Encoding Center, A typical day was to type information from electronic mail images so that the letters could be bar coded and returned to the processing center to be bar coded and scanned. It was a relaxed, quiet environment and you could wear headphone. The hardest part about the job was that it was very repetitious keying in addresses and zip codes all day long. There were good supervisors and a wonderful plant manager. The pay was pretty good and we had birthday parties, baby showers, pot lucks, and farewell meals in the break room.
Great enviorment
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 12, 2018
A typical day included lots of physical labor and moments where self motivation was important in job completion. Great pay but no benefits available for a while
Dying
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Bethpage, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Good place to work and retire off of. Never going to be rich or anything but for many people it's a good balance. Too bad it has become so antiquated.
Horrible Management/Doesn't care about Employees
Postal Service Employee (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 12, 2018
Worst place I have ever worked. Physically demanding job benefits are basic minimum nothing special. No consistency to schedules. Impossible to plan time off. You never know when you will be required to work overtime, and you can't say no. Don't expect to be able to spend time with friends or family.
Too many politics
City Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAFebruary 12, 2018
City Carrier Assistants were expected to preform better than the safety standards but got in trouble if an injury occurred. They worked cca's 12+ hours a day during busy season and expected no accidents. If an accident occurred it was an immediate suspension.
Pros
Retirement benefits after conversion
Cons
Slow conversion
They will keep you busy
Assistant City Carrier (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 12, 2018
The assistant city carrier was one of the best jobs I ever had. The work was constant and demanding. I delivered mail, including packages all over the Harrisburg Area. It was challenging, but a definite change from an office environment. I would recommend it to anyone interested in being outdoors.
A lot of walking
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 12, 2018
Great job with advancements. If you don't mind walking in unconditional weather, then it's the job to be at.Traveling a lot. Walking, delivering packages.
The Worst
PSE Mail Processing Clerk/Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 12, 2018
The Post Office is a terrible place to work. It is run like a military operation. Thel harassment is really bad there. People do not get fired there for the horrible things they do. They get promoted.
Place Sucks
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAFebruary 12, 2018
If you like being treated like **** while some others are given free reins to do whatever they want, then this job is for you. You will work 6-7 days a week, usually at least 10 hours a day, and then you will be spit on when you get back to the office. This place doesn't care about anything but their bottom line and will act like they are your friend until they aren't.
Pros
Basically can't be fired
Cons
no beneifts for non-regulars, long days, long weeks, no respect, no advancement, union sucks
City Carrier Assistant
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILFebruary 12, 2018
Job is not worth all the walking you`ll be doing, they expect you to work through your breaks and lunches. Plus you'll be sent to wherever they feel like sending you since your the newbie. If you make your 90 days, you'll get the promise of being made the next year on a handshake. The job feels like the movie ground hound day, but the jokes are all on you
Pros
On your own, working outside. Lose weight fast
Cons
They follow you everywhere, scanner has gps
can be stressful at times
Postmaster Relief (Former Employee) –  Palo, IAFebruary 12, 2018
the most stressful time of the year is just before Christmas and during count.
in all it's a good company to work for, one draw back is you have to start as part time with no benifets

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

54.7K