United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

fast paced
Mail Handler/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILDecember 4, 2017
good employer to work for and I would recommend it to my family and friends, The benefits are very good and the staff is friendly and are very good team members
Good job for making money or if you can handle the inconsistency, career option
PSE- Sales and Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Essex Junction, VTDecember 4, 2017
There is no such thing as a typical day at the post office, it is very much dependent of the office you are in. There really is no consistency from office to office with how things are managed and rules that are followed or encouraged to be bent. The office I worked in was for the most part nice because it was larger and offered more variety of work. However, many times I would get to work only to find out my schedule for the day had changed and I would have to stay later, or have a longer/shorter lunch, etc. It made planning for work and having a home life almost impossible.

Almost every office is understaffed at the window and therefore you have to deal with long lines. I did however enjoy working the counter and getting to know the regular customers. Most were very nice and understanding of lines and such.
Pros
Wages, uniform allowance for certain positions, paid vacation, paid holidays
Cons
Split shifts, last minute schedule changes, poor work environment (location specific)
Just great!~
HOME CARE TRUSTEE & PART TIME RURAL POSTAL CARRIER (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, NYDecember 4, 2017
Fantastic place to work with promise for advancement!
A fantastic place to work with some promise for advancement!
Fantastic beyond belief place to work with great promise for advancement!
Pros
Fantastic place to work with promise for advancement!
Carrier (Current Employee) –  Joppa, MDDecember 4, 2017
Easy money, work at your own pace
Pay is above average
Part time is available which consists ofjust working weekends for people that work during the week
Run
Mail Carrier, PSE clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 3, 2017
I will not recommend this place unless you have absolutely no life and no children under age 15. I had to work 8 days straight, they do not care about your life outside the company. I was a carrier and then switched to PSE which I thought would be better but was not. This company is based on seniority so you can not get benefits or days off until you become career which can take 6 years. It pay good but you wont have time to spend the money and they will work you like a dog.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Summary
Postal Carrier (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO 64127December 3, 2017
I love being a postal carrier it is very peaceful when your out on your own and you delivering mail to customers. As a carrier it’s a great responsibility to take on and a great job security.
Competitive and amazing place to work.
City Carrier (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 3, 2017
I love my job at the post office! Unfortunately I want to move to Florida to attend school and was hoping I could get a transfer in time. However I am not sure that I can. So that entails me applying for other jobs that will still support and provide. I’ve been with the company 3 years and I have enjoyed every minute of it.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, outdoors, and good staff
Cons
Hard work, stressfuk
Strict
Mail carrier (Former Employee) –  Union, NJDecember 3, 2017
The Postmaster at UPS talked to me and treated me as if I was a dog. I was belittled and disrespected. I liked the job a lot and wanted to make the USPS my career path but had to leave because of the way I was treated. As a grown man I was treated like a boy. Would love to go back but at a different location.
Pros
Benefits and growth
Cons
No lunch breaks
mail carrier
CITY CARRIER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Clarendon Hills, ILDecember 3, 2017
its not a hard job but its not an easy job, best days to work are summer worst are in the winter, sometimes mail can get heavy. the job its much better when you are out of the office and delivering and not dealing with supervisors and postmaster they can treat workers unfairly.
Pros
good pay
Cons
managment
Abusive incompetent management that will blame you for their incompetence
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 3, 2017
If you have the mentality of an obedient dog who is ok with illiterate buffoons as your master this job is for you. If you are ok with being punished for hard work--they will just abuse you more--which has led to a culture of apathetic or angry workers aiming at doing the minimal to get by, this job is for you. I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy. I do not mind the workload, but I have never been treated so poorly
LSM Operator
Clerk - LSM Operator (Former Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 3, 2017
This is a Level 6 position that was condusive to my job expectations. The LSM was discontinued in the late 90's.The most enjoyable part of the job was you had the opportunity to key mail at 100% all while listening to your music on your headphones as well as sitting down. Many employees in management tried to make this seem as if it were a distraction, but it was totally obvious, that they were jealous because they had to do more stressful work duties and were basically making the same pay. It is what it is.
Pros
3 break periods: 2 15-minute breaks and 1 30 min. lunch break
Cons
Jealous management: In a lot of cases, floor employees brought home more pay salary than those of management. Conflict.
A Wait
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orangevale, CADecember 2, 2017
You have to wait a few years before becoming full time, hours can be anywhere from none to over 60 a week. You have to be quick or you will not make it.
Pros
Great benefits once a regular employee
Cons
Short breaks and always on the go
Casual
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GADecember 2, 2017
I worked as a casual employee and enjoyed the ability to move around into different departments and the flexible schedules. Was a great place to work, very fast paced.
abc
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CADecember 2, 2017
Working for the USPS was fun but they have very long hours and are always on the move. There are several different routes you could be put on as a relief carrier
Fast Paced
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2017
The work isn't hard at all. The mail just never stops coming. The plant is very fast paced, they care about getting the mail out. If you don't like to work on your feet, this isn't the job for you
Pros
Great Pay and Advancement
Fast Pace
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Tooele, UTDecember 2, 2017
Very fast pace demanding work environment great team work. Take safety very seriously have monthly stand up meeting to ensure that all employees are aware of current safety hazard.
challenging and fast paced
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Ridgecrest, CADecember 2, 2017
Sorted/cased and delivered mail. Can be stressful due to mail volume and keeping a time schedule. Very strict with vehicle operations. Good opportunity for other postal job positions.
Pros
worked independently and good government benefits
Cons
exposure to outside weather conditions
No days off!!
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 2, 2017
I worked 7 days a week and was shipped from office to office. The management is horrible and no benefits. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was the money was good
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else
Worked as the Postmaster of the Town
Manger Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Thornville, OHDecember 2, 2017
I would performed financial audits on clerks, sorted mail to the carriers. Performed accident investigations. Track and monitor daily workhours and vehicles use. Oversaw inventory and office supply.
Prepared and distributed payroll for staff between 12 to 70 employees.
Pros
enjoyed working with the customers and employees
Cons
what i did at post office
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Tobyhanna, PA 18466December 2, 2017
 Organizational abilities.
 Deliver mail to customers on my route and manage time wisely.
 Responsible for keeping detailed records of attempted and missed deliveries.
 Good oral communication skills to interact with customers and answer their questions.
 Electronic device skills to obtain signatures from customers on handheld computerized equipment used by the USPS.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.