United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

My thoughts as well as things I’ve heard and agreed with from multiple employees from multiple post office stations
United states city mail carrier (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 12, 2018
Depending on what post office station u are working at makes all the difference. Mostly the ppl are really nice in every position except a few that instead of going to management choose to stay in limbo while they have some power they dont help you when they are supposed to and beyond that you are really truly lucky if you are at a station that the supervisors and your station manager are actually good ppl and do their job instead of not but trying to pick on others at the station to get them in trouble. They will even lie about you and hope it sticks. All said and done, it’s a great place to work all around but if you get stuck with the wrong ppl then you will be happy making half the pay with almost no benefits just so you can have a happier life within yourself.
Great Job
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, ARAugust 12, 2018
Great Job with Great people. Very stressful at times, but it is so worth the work. Not a hard job, but a very detailed job. I enjoy it very much, just wish I could become full time
Pros
benefist
Cons
only part time
Heavy Customer Service
Mail Carrier /On Job Instructor (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYAugust 12, 2018
In the morning separate and prepare mail, parcels,important documents(ex. certified letters, registered letters, Express mail)to be delivered.
The work floor is pleasant, we all work well with management. I've learned that treating people with respect you get a lot accomplished.
The hardest part of my job is walking a route. I walk about 8-10 miles a day in different types of weather. The best part of my job is working with customers, the joy on their face when a problem is resolved. I do the best that I can to help a person so that Management will not have to get involved. My Manager loves me.
high-stress unpredictable hours
Postal Support Employee (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WIAugust 12, 2018
As a non-career employee going on two years, I have not been given approval for requested days off. I am working 6 days a week including weekends, denied vacation days and required to check the schedule daily as it is constantly subject to change without notice. Unpredictable shifts starting anywhere from 4:30 am to 3 pm without set end times. Every inquiry of when I might make career is answered "No more than six months".
Temporary/casual hire
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waianae, HIAugust 12, 2018
Overworked even after the holiday rush with no regular opportunities offered
Management was very demanding
No future for casual workers
Very stressful
Pros
Good physical test
Cons
No opportunity to be a regular employee
Great branch to work out of
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEAugust 12, 2018
The branch I worked out of was great - good people, good management. Unfortunately I was a CCA and never knew when my day off would be until the night before, which made it difficult to plan off-time appointments and events.
My typical day
Supervisor Maintenance Operations (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 12, 2018
My typical day consite of scheduling assignments to 27 employees. Why the employees are doing there daily maintenance, I assist in any information need for them to complete thier duties. The cultue in the workplace is diverse, dealing with different culture, age and gender of people. The hardest part of the job is not having the materials on hand at times to maintain certain equipment. The most enjoyable part for me is knowing that every day that I leave I have taught someone something about the company and there job that they didn't know the day before. A constent learning enviorment, training other for thier upper mobilities.
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
different attitudes
Non career RCA
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Current Employee) –  Freeland, MIAugust 12, 2018
They will work u till u learn what they are doing to you and then they once u realize they are using and abusing now u are "the enemy" and they turn to the new hires that will work whatever whenever.
Been there 13 years and have nothing to show for it except some Obama mandated health insurance that has high af deductibles.
For 13 bvb years I dedicated myself to USPS and have nothing to show for it. Nothing more than someone walking in the door today gets.
No company I have ever known is bbn like the USPS. Hard work and dedication get u nothing.
Pros
Hourly wage great
Cons
No advancement. Work holidays weekends etc
Fast Pace Funny sometime
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLAugust 11, 2018
You have to be fast and alert working at the post office it gets tiring sometime but the fast pace keep you going. I like working at the post office it was fun and funny laughing at the employees hearing them telling jokes sometime and working at the same time,I use to work from 11 to 7 am and those type of hours you either do it or quit it to keep up with pace I enjoyed every minute of it.
Pros
You could take a hour for lunch or 30 minute
Cons
NO Cons
Was Great at first
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  West Newton, PAAugust 11, 2018
Was a great job at first. However, when one of the regulars retired, I became the only sub in my office. I ended up working 50+ hours a week with no benefits, no vacation days, no overtime pay...because I was still considered "part-time" and the pay was evaluated rather than hourly. Once Amazon Sunday delivery came to my office, I was working 7 days a week, every week. Would have been a great job if I didn't get screwed with so many hours and nothing to show for it.
Pros
Decent pay, great coworkers, postmaster was good
Cons
hours, lack of benefits, lack of vacation days
Competitive
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2018
The environment is hot in the summer , cold during winter , but either way your bussing a sweat. This job is a great way to stay in shape and make money.
A day at the office
Labor Custodian (Current Employee) –  West New York, NJAugust 11, 2018
Work and work hard everything else is beneficial u get good, benefits, nice work environment, great co-workers,supervisors, holiday pay, time off, the tsp program is great to help u save and get money back in the end!!!!!
Okay place to work
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  MichiganAugust 11, 2018
If you dont have children, don't mind working at any hour btwn 7a-10p daily and can wait 5+ years to become full time this is definitely the place for you.
Pros
very easy once you get the hang of it, pay, work independently
Cons
No benefits if not a regular, long hours, no work/ life balance, on call everyday
Only thing good was the money
RURAL CARRIER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  fishers, indianaAugust 10, 2018
A typical work day is very stressful but once you get the hang of being a mail carrier things go a little bit smoother. Management was very unprofessional.
Pros
the money
Cons
managers are unprofessional
working there
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 10, 2018
I love working at the post office and I miss that job. In the beginning it was wonderful to work there but now since the new people can to work there. Thing has change and no one like working there at all now.
I will at some point return to USPS!!!!!
PTF Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MTAugust 10, 2018
I loved the job!!! Management had their issues with staffing and most are inexperienced and hired because of who they know rather then their skills and knowledge. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea.... not ALL of management are incompetent. There are several that are knowledgeable and proficient at their job. Most of the Clerks and Mail handlers that work offices love their job. The personal accountability is the best part... but there are the ones that sit around making it look like they are doing something. That is one of the stress points when working in this field because you have to then pick up their slack and do it without complaining. Because to "Preserve the Sanctity of the Mail" is everyone's responsibility. The Postal Service is not for everyone to make a career but it is worth the experience.
Pros
wages, steady increases, benefits, co-workers, fast paced
Cons
State MT Union Rep, Rumors, Drama, Retaliation, Harassment
Great benefits; paid Holidays and vacation. Great pension plan
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 10, 2018
The federal government provided me the tools needed for growth and advancement throughout my careers with the federal government The Postal Service provided the training needed for advancement. Enjoyed it.
Pros
Training
Cons
Worked over 10 hour days due to budget cuts
Frustrating
Attorney, Labor & Employment (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 10, 2018
Daily grind never changed; employees were seemingly incentivized to do less rather than more. Union mentality even in non-union employees; no innovation or opportunity to impact others.
productive
Maintenance Operations Support Clerk (Current Employee) –  Medford, ORAugust 10, 2018
My typical day at work is clerical. Answering the phone, entering data, purchasing, receiving, shipping, etc.
Management is rarely needed or even available all day every day in my line of work. I do alot of work for my manager.
The culture is busy, not boring, and to me, I enjoy what I do. Not more than being home with my family, but it is all good.
The hardest part in my day is knowing that if I would want promotion or referral, I wouldn't get assistance.
The most enjoyable part of my day, is knowing that I give the best I can, and work with mechanics that are very pleasant to work with. I work an honest day for honest pay.
Pros
Life, health, vision and dental ins. TSP, Sl, Al, and paid holidays
Fast paced, yet very rewarding
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Milaca, MNAugust 10, 2018
Great place to work, however slow advancement at my current location. I enjoy my co-workers, and the management. I enjoy the freedom of my position, and the ability to be out in the public promoting the Usps.
Pros
Good wage, and compensation for use of vehicle.
Cons
Takes years to advance into full-time position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.4K