United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Not Good
Rural Carrier (Former Employee) –  OhioDecember 8, 2017
Unless your spouse supports you and pays all of the bills or you are young and live with your parents , working as a sub Rural Carrier you won’t make any money so don’t expect to pay bills and live working here. One day a week on Saturday. No room for advancement unless someone dies or retires. The sub I worked for was a sub for ten years before she got on full time.
Pros
Not many
Cons
No advancement
Very stressful
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2017
Working for the postal service is very tough and repetitive. Expect to work long hours and lots of stressful days with lack of pay. They only care if the mail is on time. They won't care if you have a family or school you will work hard for decent pay but it's not worth the work stress
Family Friendly
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IADecember 8, 2017
Early morning required to be at work before 7:30 am, in order to sort your mail route for the day. This helps you plan out your work day for a smooth day.
Busy working environment
Custodian Laborer PSE (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 7, 2017
Work is plentiful and consistent. Early mornings tasks were the same unless a situation derived and I was called to complete a different task. Supervisors were good at scheduling shifts and emergent work situations.
Pros
Government Benefits
Christmas Season
Postal Clerk (Current Employee) –  AlabamaDecember 7, 2017
The trucks are always late bringing mail to the post offices due to lazy workers laying out of work on purpose every year around this time. And management does nothing about it. Irritating! It makes for a long work day.
Pros
some of the customers
Cons
not enough hours
Contract Work
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Kitty Hawk, NCDecember 7, 2017
It is a very hard job, mentally and physically. As a contractor you aren't given any benefits and must learn to juggle the job with the same paramenters as a postal employee.
Very busy and physical
Casual Postal Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 7, 2017
The people that work for the Postal Service earn every penny of their money. Whether outside delivering or inside handling the mail the work is very demanding
Pros
Great pay, work environment is very good Managers are great folks
Cons
Work is very physical and demanding
Easy work High Volumes
Mail Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 7, 2017
Can be stressful but, lucrative
Days and hours are long
Easy work
High Volumes
Management are iffy has to find someone you can trust
Alot of of long term worker
loved it
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 7, 2017
I really enjoyed this job. I got to work on a solo basis. the only thing is they don't seem to take in to consideration is that when there is a hurricane and you have kids. that the family comes first.
Fast pased job using my hands
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CADecember 7, 2017
This job was right up my ally because I was moving fast paced for 8-12 hours, so it helped time go by faster. I was constantly moving and working under a time sensitive operation.
Pros
Opportunity for career advancement if I stayed longer
Cons
Strenuous work, standing for the entire shift.
great
MAIL HANDLER/PSE (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 7, 2017
typical day is long hours. I learned the different aspects of the post office. the management was fine at points and difficult at the same time. the hardest part is lifting the heavy sacks of mail.
busy as you make it
Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHDecember 7, 2017
• Responsible for: Scheduling, Supplies, Billing, Quality Control.
Typical day at work at that time was set hrs per the contract.
I learned that the UNION gets what they want.
Management raved about the quality of my work product.
Work place culture is not a comfortable feeling if your'e an outside contractor which makes it the hardest part of the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in others workplace environment.
Very physical job.
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockport, INDecember 7, 2017
I lost close to 25lbs when I started carrying mail. The first few weeks are tough, but once you get used to it it can be a great place to work. I worked in a small office with very little chance to become full time but I loved the people I worked with and the relaxed schedule.
Pros
Relaxed schedule, Great co workers
Cons
Small office not a lot of hours, or chance for advancement
great people to work with
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Newton, MADecember 7, 2017
Nice company to work for the pay is lousy , I love the people that I worked with there. Nice manager and wanted the best for his employees. Great training there also.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks and no benefits
Great
Casual Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Flushing, NYDecember 7, 2017
Great experience. I wish I would work here full-time. I enjoyed the work and my co-workers. The location was fine and everyone was very helpful on the job.
enjoyed helping the community w the services of the post office
Postmaster Relief (Former Employee) –  Perryville, AKDecember 7, 2017
do paperwork, help customers when needed, wait for the mail plane

the hardest part of this job was the lifting of heavy boxes.

worked in a village po so was fairly laid back.

best part of job was getting the customers the mail they have been waiting for
Pros
short hours
Cons
short hours
stressful
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJDecember 6, 2017
very stressful, no help when desired to learn or in need of assistance, if you have 75minutes of casing work, management wants you to get it done in 45 minutes. Breaks are frowned upon if you are backed up, management prefers you to keep going and skip your breaks for the whole day. I can count in 7 months, I went on a full break 6 times. You need to learn how to multitask and safely too. Its not the same type of multitasking you do in a regular office. The post office is very different from any work you will ever do.
Its not for everyone
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 6, 2017
If you dont mind a lot of physical hard work this is the job for you. Includes standing, walking, or sitting for long periods of time. You work independently, with little inaction from others aside from people you encounter while on the route.
As far as management it varies from location to location. Generally you are expected be quick with no mistakes.
Starting out you will have to earned your vacation time. So for every 20 you work in a pay period you get 1 hour of leave.
Pros
Pay, leave, no one standing over your shoulder
Cons
Short breaks, limited access to restroom, working out doors in all weather condition
Cut Throat
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 6, 2017
Not Sure if it is just the location in which my position is, but the atmosphere at the Post Office is very stressful. I deliver in very dangerous areas in the pitch dark.
Pros
Pay is higher than others, job security
Cons
Location, amount of expectation vs pay
Boring but it pays the bill
Data Conversion Operator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 6, 2017
My temporary probationary supervisor was racist!! She was constantly watching me like a hawk. The day I was let go, I brought my doctors note in for missing work. She told me she doesn't care if I have a doctor's note. She was just waiting for me to make a mistake so she could fire me. She was very heartless. She fired me right before Thanksgiving and holidays. Bottom line is the job is good it's just poor management. All they care about is you showing up to do the job. But as far as when LIFE happens, they could care less about it. Especially when you have a valid reason.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.