United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Benefits are decent and they offer alot of overtime.
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GASeptember 17, 2018
The job is very repetitive. Same people in small plant. Most of the jobs are overnight. The managers are incompetent, rude and will make you go "postal",literally.
Pros
offer alot of overtime
Cons
most the jobs are overnight
Not my employer, but the project that I worked while at IBM
IT Consultant/Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2018
This is not a company, but a project. Why don't you give users of your system the option to complete these reviews, especially when the system does not understand the difference between a company and a project.
Terrible place to work
City Carrier (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 16, 2018
Terrible place to work, horrific mismanagement, negative and angry work culture, crazy overtime, extremely physical work, abusive management, threatening management, impossible to succeed
Reliable
Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 16, 2018
Working for this company will allow you to comfortably take care of your family. It’s an environment where you control you of course with stipulations. It’s a great career for people with no college degree. Awesome money and benefits!
Fast paced
CITY LETTER CARRIER (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 16, 2018
A typical day at work depends on how many people call in, how heavy the mail volume is, how heavy the by-pass is, how heavy the parcels are, and if the trucks are on time.
Pros
Great retirement
Cons
Poor management
Thick twice
City Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLSeptember 16, 2018
Not the best work environment for those who actually work. They dont appreciate anything you do. Heavy politics. Games played for no reason. Vey petty people in high positions.
good place to work
Mail Clerk and DCO Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, IN first then to Peoria, IllinoisSeptember 16, 2018
I enjoyed my time at the postal service, would probably still be working for
them but had a freeze on at the time I left which is the reason I retired early when I moved to Michigan, then just never went back.
Pros
Met lots of people
Cons
breaks too short and they really pushed
Great job
USPS Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VASeptember 16, 2018
Great job with great benefits. Enjoy working there everyday. I look forward to get up every morning and doing my job. I really enjoy what I do. Blessed to have the opportunity to work there.
Pros
Benefits, pay.
Cons
Working in extreme temperatures
Rural Mail Carrier
Rural Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Gouldsboro, MESeptember 16, 2018
work was anywhere from 6 to 10 hours a day depending on amount of mail

learned how to deal with customers

management at times was hard to deal with because of changing time limits that was not always totally explained to the employees

for the most part the culture was good as we were all working to get mail out and delivered on time

hardest part was weather

enjoyable part meeting new customers and making friends with co-workers
Pros
good pay, benefits, co-workers
Cons
management that AT TIMES did not relate to employee concerns
Upward Mobility if you want it
Injury Compensation Specialist (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 16, 2018
I worked over 30 years at the Post Office. I am grateful to have had the opportunity to climb the latter of success. I had the opportunity to become a Postmaster for over 2 years.
Very demanding
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCSeptember 16, 2018
USPS offers stability, but it comes at a cost. In the carrier craft, expect long hours, minimal time off, and an environment that is non-stop. Once you become a career employee with USPS, the tempo slows down to something more realistic. You have to be hard-driven and dedicated to get through the first couple of years as a CCA.
Pros
Income, Stability
Cons
Long hours, no time off
The culture in this industry is cut throat.
Rural Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZSeptember 16, 2018
If you are a relative or friend of management you are favored and entitled. If you are not either of those you are give the impression that you are of no value and can be replaced. It doesn't matter if you have been there 2 months or 20 years the treatment of management is the same, step up or step out! The USPS spends 10's of thousands of dollars training their employees and it makes no sense to not work with the ones that have a difficult time or relocate them into another more fitting position.
Pros
Cons
Demanding, unprofessional, and stressful
Fast and stressful
Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Richland Center, WISeptember 16, 2018
Working for the post office has been very stressful but I like the job. If I could find a job near where I'm moving, I would transfer. I have been looking for that transfer but would for sure change occupations.
Wrong about advancement
Sales and Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Barkhamsted, CTSeptember 16, 2018
There is very little full time work available. The company is broke so offices need work. Many offices are under staffed. Definite great Job security.
N/a
POSTAL SERVICE CLERK (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 16, 2018
Starting off as a PSE in the postal service is tough. There is no benefits and the hours my vary for your position. Because you are not garrenteed 40 hours until you become regular. The work can be challenging depending on the office you work at.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No benefits
Blue Collar Work
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 15, 2018
It's a fast pace job. All promotion are based on senority. Blue collar work. Perform quality check .People are hard workers and supervisors are knowledgeable.
Na
Mail Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 15, 2018
Stressed, Labor work isn't for me so I'm currently unhappy in this line of work. it'll work for a young adult and someone that hasn't started a family yet, Good luck
Fun Workplace but No Benefits
Mail Processor (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 15, 2018
I liked the pay, my coworkers were good as well. I didn't like how I didn't have any benefits at the time. It's been four years since I've worked there and I heard that things have changed and that most people now have benefits.
Pros
coworkers, great pay
Cons
no healthcare
Great entry into Logistics Industry
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 15, 2018
The USPS is a great place to start your career in the Logistics industry. The Service standards imprinted onto you as you first enter their doors carries a great responsibility as you are partly responsible for helping move the Nations Mail.

The standard is you show up and don't leave until the mail is out of the building and into customers hand. This involves very mundane work and long hours, it is not uncommon for Non Career Employee's to have to work long shifts (12hrs) and 6-7 days a week..

Competitive compensation and a very generous Federal Benefits package are great incentives for your career at the Postal Service. Once you make it as a Career employee many doors are open for you in terms of Advancement. You can move up into administration or Transfer to a different craft and learn something new.

The Job Culture is very cut and dry. The USPS has many Union's that represent each different Craft of work. Clerks, Carriers, Mail Handlers, and Maintenance Crafts are a few to name. Each Craft has a contract tied to them that will regulate policies enforced onto each Craft. Some examples include penalties for Management if an employee of one craft does work in another's. Everything has a policy that is strictly enforced.

With each Craft having contracts and a powerful Union presence their to represent it the relationship between Management is also very cut and dry. Seldom are situation's dealt with on a case by case scenario, at least at the Entry Level.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, fulfilling work.
Cons
Mundane and repetitive work, Long hours
fun place to work at but being a seasonal cep means your the bull!
Casual mail handler (Former Employee) –  orlando flSeptember 15, 2018
which was fine with me I killed my self for 30 days straight, I was told they will keep the best of the best out of 30 seasonal they kept one. smh no clue why they had to lie.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.5K