United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Never good enough
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Ardmore, OKOctober 17, 2018
Extremly micro managed, even if you do your job management is always pushing for more so they can get their bonus. If you get hurt on the job they will look to find anyway it could have been your fault never taking the blame for anything. If its 110 degrees outside they still dont care they want you to run and if you pass out of heatstroke they will blame you and tell you they warned you of the symptoms. Your coworkers are alright most of them are whiny and angry because everyone is in such a bad mood from working 6 days sometimes 7 days a week.
Non stop on the go, with more than accurate deliveries everyday of the job
Regular Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAOctober 17, 2018
I Love the interaction with my customers and knowing what I need to get everyday! The hardest part of the job is making all the deliveries in a timely manner. So prioritizing is very important in maintaining the deliveries in nine hours everyday!
Pros
I'm able to go home after my route has been delivered even if I finish under the evaluated time!
Inhumane
CCA- City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2018
Lack of supplies necessary to complete simple task makes an easy job difficult. Managers are overloaded with work which causes them to be irrational at times.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
30 minute lunch breaks
Stable and challenging career at the postal service
Letter carrier (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 17, 2018
Fast paced environment as each and every day a challenge to get that days mail sorted and delivered in a safe and timely manor. Many factors involved each day were volume and make up of mail , weather, local traffic and other daily changes to your routine.
Pros
Stable and well compensated employment
Cons
Weather
Rural Carrier
Rural Mail Carrier (Current Employee) –  Spotsylvania, VAOctober 17, 2018
I was a full time rural carrier with no benefits because I was not considered permanent. It is a scale system the first in are the ones that receives the permanent positions
Pros
job security
Good job
Officer in Charge / Postmaster Relief (Former Employee) –  West Newfield, MEOctober 17, 2018
Lots of information and regulations to learn, but if you ever have a question there was always somebody else to call for help. The downfall is the unions make it difficult for employees who are not in the unions to advance.
Fast paced
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WIOctober 17, 2018
The Post Office is no joke. You have 90 days to prove you can do any route they ask you to do just as well as the regular. if they have any doubt in the first 90 days you're gone.
Pros
Self monitored
Cons
Fighting the clock
If you want no life, you want to work here
Postal Support Employee Clerk (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 17, 2018
If you love management that work their people to death and have no care, then work here. There is a reason that this place has a below 50% retention rate.
Pros
Can save up paid leave, decent money
Stressful environment
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 17, 2018
Very little teamwork, a lot of complaining and laziness due to a strong union. You get to hear a lot of complaining and deal with people with little to no work ethic. A good portion of people act as they are entitled but are not willing to put the forth effort.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Unions
Horrible place to work for the holidays unless you have experience
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 17, 2018
Employees were very verbal about their dislike for seasonal employees, especially if it meant them not getting overtime for their scheduled route because many had gotten used to the overtime due to USPS lack of hiring in the past.
Pros
Pay rate
Cons
Training
Productive, demanding, and quiet workplace.
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MIOctober 16, 2018
I wasn't given full time hours or benefits. I was also on call everyday and only guaranteed Saturday's. There wasn't any stability and I could possibly wait for years to become full time. I had a wonderful Post Master and all co-works were friendly.
Love my job
Usps mail carrier (Current Employee) –  Saint Clair Shores, MIOctober 16, 2018
It's hard work but the benefits of working by yourself is worth it.set your case. Hardest part of the job is learning what not to do . Anyway you have to teach yourself to case mail take your time and always remember there is another carrier in the same situation. I am a cca leaned everything on my own that's the hardest part. But now after 3 years it's all about getting through the day helping each other get the job done..
Pros
You are your own boss in the field
Cons
Time is not on your side
Management fudges the numbers to make themselves look good
LETTER CARRIER (Former Employee) –  Adel, GAOctober 16, 2018
The US Postal office is a crooked organization. The management is constantly fudging the numbers and allowing people to work off the clock before their shift, so the actual time it takes them to sort the mail is shortened and it results in less pay for the employees. I witnessed this on a daily basis. The status quo is maintained and actual mail volume exceeds the hours paid to the employees. If you file a grievance through the union, the postmaster is constantly harassing you and looking for a reason to discipline you. They'll target you until you either quit or transfer.
Pros
free Uniforms
Cons
Constant baby sitting and micro management of personnel.
Great Job to retire from
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 16, 2018
Postal Service provides great benefits and a great salary once you become a regular. However, the work/life balance is null and void. Also, the work take a major toll on you physically.
Great Job
City carrier assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 16, 2018
It was a great place for job experience. you had to be timely and make all deliveries. it was fast-paced but it paid quite well. only down side is that I did not have my own route so I was considered a full-time carrier even though I work over 50 hours a week.
The United States Postal Service has excellent advancement opportunities
Data Collection Technician (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILOctober 16, 2018
I appreciate the advancement opportunities the Postal Service allows their employers. However placement of job vacancies are sometimes promoted towards individuals based on affiliation and not their qualifications.
Good Company to work for
PSE Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 16, 2018
This is a great company to work for. I loved working for this company so much that I wanted to work full time. unfortunately it was only a seasonal job
Great company to work for.
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAOctober 16, 2018
I loved working at The United States Post Office for the opportunity to give great customer service and working independent of others as well as a great company with great benefits and an excellent career choice.
Beneficial job!
Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 16, 2018
Easier to work here as time goes on! The hours all depend on the location u go to. If you have good memory, you’ll do well here. Staying to yourself will make it easy too.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, vacation
Cons
Poor management, toxic work environment
coworkers keep the job fun
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAOctober 15, 2018
fun and exciting place to work, but you must be strong and calm to deal with the stress of the workplace. your customers keep you going and give you appreciation
Pros
good benefits
Cons
takes to long to move up

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

55.6K