United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Poor environment and lack of leadership
Postal Support Employee (Current Employee) –  Schiller Park, ILDecember 16, 2017
A typical day at work the energy level is down. I don't learn anything new. The management is terrible of a scale of 1 - 10, I give them a 3. The hardest part of the job is not the work, its the environment and no flex schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job is no uniform.
Pros
No uniform
Cons
Short breaks, management, energy
hated it
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYDecember 16, 2017
The entire 2 years I worked at the post office I hated it, It isn't worth the stress or time wasted. You're over worked so 8 hours feels like 30 and they want all your time they don't care about your education or anything else.
Overworked
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 15, 2017
If you're a family person, the US Post Office is not for you. You will never have time for your family, because are always working. As a letter carrier, you must make sure you are in great shape. They will overwork you. The US Post Office definitely has other job opportunities though.
Pros
Good job opportunities
Cons
Overworked
good job bad management
City Carrier (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CADecember 15, 2017
really bad experience. it isn't a carrier, it's like a regular job with more stress. from the time and date I start, the meetings are only to mention how bad the letter carriers do they job. and to be honest the management should be on the other side of the line, because they can't follow proceeds rights. to give you short history, every time you change position they have to give you or send you a form 50. Well I got a higher position but never received any form 50. That's way I have to talk with the postmaster over and over months and months (FOR 6 MONTHS AND SO) because they forgot to make that change on my pay rate and of curse my pay check was short. until the day today I don't think they fix it.
Pros
over work your body
Cons
get to meet a lot of people
Never Good Enough
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  OhioDecember 15, 2017
Not enough room for a proper review, so I'll stick with this...
I was treaded like do-do stuck to the bottom of a boot, that no matter how hard you tried to beat the boot, it just wouldn't come out. The hours sucked, I was never good enough, I was never fast enough, I was never treated like I was a human being, etc. I was forced to do 3-4xs the amount of work that a regular was asked to do in less time than them.
Pros
Cons
Everything, Long hours, On your feet all day, working in all weather conditions
Busy
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 15, 2017
You'll get up when they tell you, go to where they want you, and carry what they tell you too. Oh, and you won't stop til they say you can.

Overall, it's really not a bad job, although I wasn't a good fit for it. I think they operation would run better if they'd staff up though.
Mail Handler Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 15, 2017
USPS was a great job for me I would love to go back if re hired. Hopefully this time I can make a career out of it...I would prefer working morning shift also
Fast pace job
Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 15, 2017
Fast pace, but the long hours was really worth it. You should be prepare to use safety techniques such as squatting properly, or you will hurt your back. This position was temporary so we worked in a warehouse that was rented out, and it was extremely cold.
Pros
overtime
Cons
working in cold conditions
Outstanding energetic culture
Mail Route Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILDecember 15, 2017
I was a seasonal driver for UPS at the time I learned how to deliver mail to preplanned locations in a timely manner along with that I conducted the duties of a mail man. The workplace culture was great.
Pros
Pay
Cons
tempo
Their idea of a good employee just shows up, that's all
Mailhandler (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CADecember 15, 2017
The work is easy. There's no strong incentive to work together or get along well, just show up and get paid. Management isn't concerned with the well-being of the business or the employees.
Pros
Salary for work provided
Cons
Morale, Management involvement, efficiency....
Managment is a joke
Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILDecember 15, 2017
management does not know what they are doing. If the payroll does not pay you for all your time you worked you don't receive the money till they decide to pay you. I'm still waiting
enjoyed my job but they promoted me out of it
Part Time Flexible Employee (Former Employee) –  Salsbury Cove, MEDecember 15, 2017
Would not work for the post office because they seem to move people around too much; change hours, location, etc. I applied for the position because it involved working on my own. The job changed after 8 months moving me to another location.
Fast paced & lots of walking
MAIL CARRIER (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, LADecember 15, 2017
My experience at the postal service has been a mixture of everything. Working for the postal service has changed my life. It was challenging yet rewarding and sometimes fun. In the few short years I️ have worked for the company The United States Postal has taught me many valuable lessons!
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Long days of lots of walking and physical labor
Not what I was expecting
City Courier Assistant/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CADecember 14, 2017
Modern slavery. They treat you worst than a manager will treat you at Macdonalds. Supervisors are mean and vulgar, hours suck and everyone is going to treat tog like you’re less.
Stay away
Carrier (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, PADecember 14, 2017
Worst place to work, management think they are so cool and the pay isn’t even worth it. Packages are ridiculous on top of delivering the mail. The pay isn’t even good enough for what you are doing. You have to be there for years until you make good money
Pros
Some carriers
Cons
Management think they are so cool
US Postal Service
Mail handler (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INDecember 14, 2017
It was a job. I worked there for a short time. I would've stayed if the job offered full time employment. Thank you for taking time to read this bit about the us postal job.
Pros
It's a Job
Cons
Not hiring full time
Hard working but worth every second!
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTDecember 14, 2017
USPS is definitely a career job! There is room for advancement and the benefits are average. You can choose better benefits depending on how much you want to spend. It can get hectic and demanding, but it's worth it!
Pros
Earn your annual leave and it accrues pretty quick.
Cons
No pension, management can be stressful
Good place to work, if you can deal with the frustration of making Career
Rural Carrier Associate (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MADecember 14, 2017
Work can include long hours. Opportunities are few. So, unless you can devote 3-5 years to get a Career opportunity, it may not be the place for you.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
Long hours and no Benefits until you become Career
workplace culture
Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 14, 2017
I wont say that the USPS as whole is a bad place to work. However the supervisor I had did not speak to people with consideration or respect. Not good
Flexibility and fast paced.
Customer Service, and Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 14, 2017
As a career employee I was able to see all aspects of the Postal Service. It is fast paced, long hours, and a job that you need support systems in place if one has kids and family. The Postal Service is a place where you need to have a strong constitution or you will not be able to stay.
The great perks is that if you need extra finance most of the time there was overtime available. It was great in its season.
Large operation with many employees interacting continually. Many you will never let go because of the bonds and closeness that you have as an employee at the United States Postal Service.
Pros
benefits, overtime, job security.
Cons
long hours, excessive standing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.