United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

Found 18,881 reviews matching the search See all 18,893 reviews
Usps hca
Holiday Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Marengo, ILJanuary 16, 2019
Work begins at 4 am. Large packages are scanned and sorted as truck bring in the mail. Smaller mail is scanned and sorted, all prepared for the carriers who arrive around 6 am. Finally mail is distributed to P.O. boxes. Work is very fast-paced. For assistant clerks, the work shift is only three to four hours.

Everybody I worked with had a positive attitude, which made the job very enjoyable.
Pros
Enjoyable job
Cons
Very long process to get hired, longer than the appointment.
Very difficult to work in current environment
MPE-9 (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 16, 2019
Great co-workers , Management loves to divide and conquer whenever they can! They love to pit employees against each other.Great pay for the work performed
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Managers are promoted rather than disciplined
lot of men
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2019
very dirty long hours bags very heavy to much for a women had to always ask a man for help did not stay left to work at new York city transit. and meet different people
Pros
job
Cons
dirty
Serious work place
Sales Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 16, 2019
Fast pace, long hour. Heavy lifting customer communication constantly. Serval different jobs. Have to follow instructions very well. Drop off Mail from many companies that have to sorted for the carrier.
Was my life for 30 years
Supervisor, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Started in Oct 1988 as a mail carrier. 10 Years later I was promoted to a Supervisor and spent 20 plus years, with 2 plus in Concord Ca and the 18 plus in Vacaville Main Post office.Retired eff 30 November 2018.Loved the people I worked with through the years.Trained several carriers and present day supervisors and postmasters as well
Pros
Watching employees grow within the company
Very Busy
Holiday Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manvel, TXJanuary 16, 2019
The job was a month long contract. Each day you knew what your job responsibilities were and you completed them and went home. It was a very fast-paced environment, not time to slack.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Not long enough
No Life With Job
City Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAJanuary 16, 2019
If you desire to work for the USPS, be prepared to really have no life. The job is ok if you are peoples person but there is no life balance with job. Be prepared to be a hard worker once you start, The Life/job balance is very hard if you have a family.
Pros
People you meet can be friendly, holiday OT is suitable
Cons
No Life/Work balance, Management not the best
Good only if your not married and have a good manager
Holiday Clerk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJanuary 16, 2019
Worked during the holidays on contract, would have been better if I had worked at a different post office. The post office manager at Round Rock at this time was the worst manager I have ever worked with in my career.
Pros
Pay was good
Cons
12 hour days, every day
N/a
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, ILJanuary 16, 2019
n/a I prefer not tp review this company. It was not a huge part of my life and it was not a good experience. I would not refer anyone to this company.
Federal Job
Machine/Manual clerk (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJanuary 16, 2019
It was a missed managed warehouse with to many chiefs, employees worked hard at their jobs and their knowledge and dedication got the job done, despite poorly trained supervisors.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
Managements attitude push hard workers, leave lazy alone
Stressful work environment
Rural Carrier Associate (RCA) (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 16, 2019
Stressful work environment to say the least. Worksite managment (from supervisors to post masters was rude, disrespectful, unwelcoming and unprofessional towards me (a new employee).
Pros
Long term associates.
Cons
No accountability from management.
good job
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZJanuary 16, 2019
Learned about the process of mail.
Worked different hours
I worked well with my managers
Christmas is a crazy time of year
I really liked the people I worked with.
Pros
security
Cons
days off
Worked to the brink.
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 16, 2019
The job was way more than what had been told in training. Management would consistently push you to move fast and do more with little to no time to do what was being asked. Work-life balance is near impossible.
Very Stressful
Rural Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Magnolia, ARJanuary 15, 2019
too stressful of a job. shouldn't have to provide your own vehicle. The route was 100 miles. it was very difficult carrying the mail.You start early and for me i left late
Long hours but decent pay and easy work
Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCJanuary 15, 2019
Be warned, this job is not for people who like to see all their daily tasks completed by the time they walk out the door- the USPS is constantly running 24/7 and there's always something to do. That being said, there's a nice oppurtunity for tons of overtime, and during the holidays you can expect a minimum of ten hours a day, six days a week. It's a doozy, but pulling down $1k a week isn't half bad for unskilled labor.
Data entry
Data Conversion Operator (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 15, 2019
I worked three years entering data from mail pieces on the computer. Very tedious. I did however, get to listen to music and made good friends from this job.
If you want this as a carrier
Rural Carrier Assistant (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GAJanuary 15, 2019
After and only after you've have been properly trained to deliver mail will you be able to complete a route by yourself. Once you've done this a few times and are decent at it will you be able to do more than your one assigned route and that's how you make your money. If you aren't fast and accurate they will not put you anywhere else. It takes moths to get it down packed and years to move up in ranks. The post office is a firm believer in seniority so the more time you have under your belt the better chance you have of moving up. If you don't have a family life(spouse, kids,sick family members), or school to worry about this is the job for you. Work hard and move up.
This is not an easy job for the faint of heart, weak, unreliable, or lazy because you will work many hours during the holidays and any given day. Rain sleet or snow you will work, if you want to make a career out of this job then by all means please apply.
Pros
great money during holidays
Cons
can not work as a part-time job, physically hard, and mentally disheartening
good benefits
Rural Carrier (Current Employee) –  Durham, CTJanuary 15, 2019
good benefits but the management can be hard to work with at times they try to work around our union contract when allowed to do so. Make sure you know your contract
The work is hard and very fast-paced. There is a learning curve, but if you have co-workers unwilling to help, you're on your own.
RCA Rural Carrier Associate (Former Employee) –  Atascadero, CAJanuary 15, 2019
During the orientation, it is mentioned that the job is difficult. However, nothing can prepare you (in my opinion) for how different the job actually is versus how it's taught to you during training.

I'd recommend applicants with very good memory, as you have to memorize the cases, lines of travel, and even house locations. When first starting off, there is a learning curve, but depending on your office, the timer on that learning curve may vary. I was lucky to have RCAs that went out of their way to help me for months as I learned route after route. During my first few months, I had 12 hour shifts, one day off, no lunch. As I started getting the hang of it, I'd finish my routes earlier. And then, Christmas came. Those days were long and hard. Had a few 14 hour shifts. Sure, the pay was nice but spending my life at the office was taking its toll.

Management was not good. Although they repeatedly denied favoritism, it was pretty evident. Some carriers were held to a different standard for some odd reason. Vacations were granted during the busiest time of the year, which just added to the enormous load the RCAs already had. No accountability for frequent call-outs. Again, during the busiest time of the year, employees called out for weeks at a time, no doctor's notes or anything, and again, the RCAs had to pick up the slack.

LLVs (postal vehicles) are ridiculously outdated. No A/C and you really have to pray they start in the mornings, especially if it's cold. During my 8 months working for the postal service, I had an LLV break down on me 5 times.

Pay is pretty good, benefits
  more... are okay.

Perhaps experience varies on location; at least I hope so. My respect to anyone that can stick around. I always heard "it's worth it in the end." I had no desire to stick around that long.
Pros
Decent wages and insurance
Cons
stressful, poor management, outdated llvs and system
Mail Handler
CEP Casual Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTJanuary 15, 2019
Many flaws in how things are run at USPS and I gave some solutions to hopefully make next holiday period flawless. Good people working there. Some lazy people that rest on the holiday help, but I learned to excel and show my managers that I was busting my butt at this job. Hoping to be called back.
Pros
Great benefits, good people
Cons
Lazy people that are allowed to do dumb things and still have a job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

56.1K