United States Postal Service Employee Reviews

It's been a very good place to work for the past 40 yrs
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 24, 2018
Enjoy my job interacting with my customers and providing quality service on a daily . Most difficult part of delivering the mail is the adverse weather conditions especially in Syracuse where you experience them all
Pros
working outside and meeting people
Cons
Winter is always a challenege
Physically demanding!!
P.S.E. Clerk (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 24, 2018
Nice job if you can physically keep it over years!
Great pay!!
Shifts are at the luck of the draw!!
One mistake and you're gone forever. They say they will rehire but, I didn't experience this quote!!
Pros
Benefit Package!!
Cons
Physically draining!!
Eazy work, floor supervisors have little skills with people
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 24, 2018
Poor supervisors, they could not do regular work
Were made supervisor to get them off floor. If they had good attentdance. Did not know contract.Had no power to get anything done
Pros
Union contract
Cons
Poor management
Productive workplace
PSE Clerk (Former Employee) –  Palmer, AKFebruary 24, 2018
Although the hours were rough it paid great and the employers/employees were wonderful to work with. Working as a PSE Clerk you get the ccrapoy hours but hey that’s what you sign up for. I would definitely go work for them again.
Very fast pace and demanding place to work
Sales and Service Associate/Distrbution Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 24, 2018
I enjoyed working for the postal service. I also enjoyed being an advocate for my coworkers. The day would start at 5am or earlier, with an insurmountable amount of mail waiting on us. Each day was a miracle to complete. I have learned that with the grace of God and perseverance, any task is possible. There were challenges with personnel, especially management. they had issue with abiding with contractual agreements. After doing this day in and day out you become close to your coworker. If you can get past the favoritism then it is not a bad place to work.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Favoritism, hard work and short staff
Good money
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INFebruary 23, 2018
The post office is fast paced and has high stress. You get to be alone for most of the day so that is nice. You also get to meet a lot of people and communicate with them.
job duties
PSE Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 23, 2018
While working here you will be processing mail daily by checking zip codes and separating towns. The mail is processed so that it can be transferred to carriers for delivery. This job requires you to be on your feet all day.
great place to work
City Carrier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILFebruary 23, 2018
great place to work, physical job, paid good, no time off, work a lot of overtime. A lot of raises every 6-8 months. Nice bonuses. Work in all seasons.
Peoductive and challenging work place
PSE Mail Processor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21233February 23, 2018
If you want to boost your career and better your living USPS is the organization that will help you . USPS will give you skills and knowledge that you never would have thought of. Ups is a great job.
Pros
Pop up lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Great experience
Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  GlenviewFebruary 23, 2018
Worked at two different locations. I worked at the ohare and glenview locations. Management was much better than the glenview location. Stressful on your feet til you get use to it..
Interesting Place to work
City Postal Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, NYFebruary 23, 2018
Pay is reasonable but a lot of hard work. Training is paid for which lasts for about a month. Difficult if you are not used to the long walks or locations of mailboxes along a route.
Fast pace working environment
City Carrier Assistant (CCA) (Former Employee) –  Rantoul, ILFebruary 23, 2018
A typical day working for the postal service includes sorting your mail loading it on the truck and delivering it . depending upon where you work the environment can be stressful and also not so much smaller offices tend to be the most friendly environments.the hardest part of the job is being able to complete the work on time and can be physically and mentally exhausting.
Pros
good pay and compensation
Cons
physically and mentally demanding
Ok if you're up for it.
Rural Carrier (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INFebruary 23, 2018
I had just gotten out of surgery and my friends thought it would be a great idea to go work for the post office. It was awful. The trucks have no heat. They hire right before the winter rush. The trucks fishtail like none other. I ended up using my own truck to deliver packages and 3 years later I am still paying off the work I did on my truck.
Pros
Management ok, pays well.
Cons
Everything else.
Fun place to work for!
Letter Carrier and Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILFebruary 23, 2018
I started as a Letter Carrier and sorted mail for a particular route, then delivered it on the street. I interacted with many customers and businesses during my delivery. I handled COD cash deliveries, certified, and express. Also delivered packages to that route. I later switched to the night shift and became a clerk and learned all 60 route addresses. I also learned how to set up business pick up for large companies.
Cons
Lots of hours
Great training.
City mail carrier (Former Employee) –  TexasFebruary 23, 2018
Nice place to work and great benefits. I really enjoyed my time there, staff was knowledgeable to new hires. Pay was acceptable, and the opportunity to succeed.
Great pay and benefits
PSE Holiday Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 23, 2018
Th Postal Service is not for the weak at heart but if you are a good worker the reward is great. There are long hours at times with little time off in the beginning, but it is very rewarding
job description
Mail Handler (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 23, 2018
we start our shift on time and are required to move the mail in a timely fashion so the mail can be sent out to reach the destination of a local post office to be ready to go out on its route.
CCA life
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORFebruary 23, 2018
I worked at the post office for a year and some change hoping to be converted over to a regular; gain benefits, days off, and a steady hours that I could plan normal life around. Sadly I just couldn't stick with the management and their intense demands of mail delivery times. Pretty stressful, and intense job- BUT! it can be very rewarding delivering mail, especially with cool customers and nice routes, and you're outside all day instead of cooped up in an office.
A good company to work for if you have ambition, as it affords many opportunities in various fields and locations.
Supervisor, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 22, 2018
Challenging but rewarding in it's variance.
Learning has been progressive over a 29 year career
Management has been challenging but exciting.
Like working at the UN with the many different cultures and personalities.
Dealing with the nonsense that crops up on occasion.
Challenging and coaching employees to succeed as a group.
Pros
Achieving goals
Cons
Not succeeding in steering under-performers to better attendance and firing them.
stressful work environment especially toward casuals
Customer Service (PSE) (Former Employee) –  RIFebruary 22, 2018
A typical day at work was very fast paced, enjoyed the customers, kept very busy. I learned a lot about the job with comprehensive training also learned its very hard to gain permanent employment with this company. Management was half and half, some cared about the environment and others took their position as a joke and didn't care about the overall culture was just there for a pay check. The hardest part of the job is trying to maintain and keep up "or keep happy" with all the negative vibes displayed by some senior employee's. I personally felt that as a casual or pse that we are or were undervalued. In many way's the ego's of most permanent or senior employee's would let you know how under-appreciated you were. This was the hardest part of the job, keeping the senior employee's happy and in a lot of ways this was doing your job as well as their job. Again the customers were absolutely wonderful and the best part of my work day. I received a ton of compliments on my work performances and work ethics from customer, as well as some supervisors. Being put in some embarrassing situations by my senior peers, customers and a supervisor complimented me on handling problems accordingly appropriate.
Pros
extended breaks depending on who allowed you too
Cons
a lot of power trips by seasond co-workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at United States Postal Service. Our community is ready to answer.

54.7K