Trafigura Employee Reviews

Great company for those who work hard
Middle Distillates Analyst (Former Employee) –  Genève, GENovember 3, 2015
If you want to be the best then you have to work for it. Hard work and team ethic pays off, both in bonus and salary. Always felt I had support from bosses. Great company to work for, went home for lunch to see my family and did not work long hours as I worked remotely too.
Pros
collegiate, meritocracy, focus on family, incredible remuneration
Cons
occasionally ruthless
Dynamic Office Environment
Traffic Intern (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 31, 2015
A firm that really excels in certain areas: logistics, trading. It is a hugely dynamic environment and one that is fascinating to be able to experience for a short time as an intern. On the downside, perhaps not the best worklife balance but still a fantastic corporation.
Grupo de empresas estimulante em termos de exigência profissional.
Angola Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  LuandaSeptember 18, 2015
Foi nesta empresa que adquiri os melhores conhecimentos na área de gestão de serviços, não só devido ao facto da hierarquia ser de cultura Suiça, mas também devido aos níveis de rigor, excelência e qualidade do trabalho exigidos.
Este desafio foi ainda mais enriquecedor pelo facto de, como responsável, ter que equilibrar diferentes culturas, nomeadamente o staff e prestadores angolanos com cliente (entidade patronal) de um padrão oposto.
Empresa con bastante trabajo en el futuro
Practicas (Former Employee) –  AlmonasterJune 1, 2015
He estado trabajando con otros operadores de planta en el control del proceso de tratamiento de aguas tanto para la planta de tratamiento de mineral como para el servicio de la mina y el control de la planta de gunita (hormigón con aditivos para reforzar las galerías de la mina) y hormigón normalizado para las diferentes faenas de mantenimiento y construcción que se realizaban en la mina.
El día típico consistía en controlar el proceso de tratamiento de las aguas procedentes de la mina, así como realización de análisis y maniobras. También gestionamos los pedidos de reactivos necesarios para el proceso.
Pros
El salario del operador es bastante aceptable.
Cons
No se las veo
not a nice company to work for
support function (Former Employee) –  JHBMay 20, 2015
extreem long working hours
no job security
management by fear
not good work environment
negative company culture
weak communication
monitoring your communication (e-mail/internet/phone)
Employee Centric organisation
Associate (Former Employee) –  Mumbai, MHApril 14, 2015
- Things Learned:
Cross team functionality, opportunity to carry out Testing and working on various applications

- supportive Team Leader and management

- Open door policy
True trade shop
Deals Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  MumbaiApril 6, 2015
Lots of opportunities in the company to grow. Benifits package is very good compared to other organisations
Hard work life balance. High risk job.
Educational
Road Freight Controller / Operations Administrator (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg North, GPJanuary 7, 2015
A lot of work but you learn a lot doing it. It is expected as it is the second largest commodity trading company in the world, attention to detail is non-negotiable. Co-workers were very helpful. Most enjoyable part was dealing with all the international suppliers, they were shed a lot of light on their business which in turn gave me a better understanding of how business was run.
Pros
Free beverages
Cons
Exciting workplace with a positive vibe
Small Engine Repair Tech. (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTNovember 3, 2014
Fun and pleasurable day at work, meeting new individuals, of course while doing what i have to do. The relief of having co-workers that are generous, lively, and focused.
Pros
Being Acknowledged by my work.
Cons
Constant Preasure
Fast paced high pressure environment
Oil Operator (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg North, GPOctober 22, 2014
A typical day at work involved planning on how product will be moved from point A to point B in the most cost effective way to ensure that economic value is maximized for the company on that particular trade.

This would include, finding appropriate transporters, clearing agents and inspectors in various countries, ensuring that subcontractors are paid, invoicing customers for services rendered and product provided.

The most challenging part of the job was unreliable communication in certain countries in Africa (Bad telephone network), bad roads and delays at the borders.

I learned how to work within a budget and enhanced my skill of dealing with pressure.

The most enjoyable part of the job was been able to see the improvements in the supply chain from the time I started and been able to quantify the impact of my work to the bottom line of the company.

I got job satisfaction by knowing the commercial value I added to my company.
Pros
Got to travel, Free drinks, 100% medical aid paid, company cell phone and laptop with access to internet
Cons
High turnaround of work force
company that does not care about their employees
Oil Operator (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, CAOctober 6, 2014
Typical day at work is finding something new added to your list of responsibilities, no work structure what so ever that clearly states our own objectives. Things are created as you move along with the role. Have learned that a company that doesn't have a structure is frustrating to say the least. There is no management...!!! Enjoyed working with my ex co-workers they made the day not seem that long
Pros
salary package good
Cons
There is no growth in the company and odd working hours
Terminal Operations Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 9, 2014
I work there now as a supervisor, so I wont divulge any company info at all since it is a trading company.
Tough environment; be careful
Trader (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJuly 23, 2014
As everybody mentioned in the other reviews, Trafigura works you really hard as most of their offices are understaffed and thus you work long hours. You will not be trained and will learn as you go which ultimately, while hard at first, ends up being a method that will work out in the end. There are opportunities to move up, depending on your role, and I would suggest asking about that ability in an interview. Also, you need to be willing to relocate anywhere in the world to work here as they often shuffle people around. I would stay away from the Stamford office in particular as the head of the office is running it into the ground and they are likely to hire quite a bit as everybody jumps ship. Houston, however, is well run and a good place to work in the states.
Pros
Big commodities player, the market knows Trafigura works their employees hard so good resume builder
Cons
no training, poor management
Complex and challenging
Operations HSEC Manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJune 28, 2014
Very dynamic place to work
Pipeline, trucking, and shipping
snooker
Drill site cordinator (Former Employee) –  Angola, INApril 16, 2014
Working hours from 6am to 6pm, after hours you may be called out for break downs etc, I reported directly to the drill manager and worked with 70 expats and 150 locals under me, It was a very challenging job and required full concentration during my stint of 6 weeks on and 3 weeks off

I really enjoyed my time in Angola and learned a lot during my time there.
Pros
Full board and accomadation
Cons
Excellent health condition
Decent enough place, even for a month.
Swaps and Futures administrator (Former Employee) –  London based, 6 week contract that was done in 4.February 5, 2014
We as a team we put under tremendous pressure to try to ' balance' their books. They had extremely outdated software that had been an issue for several years and the management team where aware of this.
They are in the process of installing a new system, however in the mean time they were trying to reconsile the many millions they were out on paper.
The team I was in worked well, the training was weak, the management the same and was easy to see how they got in the mess they were in.
We managed to find pretty much all the various problems abd resolved albut a tiny amount of the monies in two weeks less that was first thought required.
Pros
Decent manager half way through.
Cons
Long hours, little support, no training.
Interesting Work Place
Trade Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GPOctober 3, 2013
I always learn something new everyday and although the workload is intense but being able to work under pressure allowed me to grow in a different aspect.

Co-workers were very helpful and supportive people, the hardest part of the job was to try and remember the vast amount of information. I enjoyed Trafigura as it really gives one the perspective of how the real corporate world really works.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
alot of work
Dynamic fast moving work environment
Senior Business Analyst - Energy IT (Current Employee) –  London, ENGSeptember 22, 2013
Dynamic fast moving work environment.

Lots of potential for hard working self starters with capability to interface with senior management
Pros
Benefits package
Cons
long core hours
Good place do work
Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  LuandaMarch 23, 2013
Good work environment, highly driven to results and performance improvement. Based on a day to day learning experience and with high standards in terms of meeting deadlines and ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trafigura. Our community is ready to answer.