Total Wine & More Employee Reviews for Merchandiser

Sometimes fun but more direction needed.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLOctober 11, 2018
Communication was a big factor here. Not enough was given and some was totally wrong. Jobs were not given to those who knew what was to be accomplished in a correct and timely manner. Never enough time to finish one task before given another one to start.
Pros
Snacks for breaks. Supplied shirts.
Good Starting Job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNSeptember 25, 2018
A good place if you can get past the passive aggressive general manager. Other management is decent. Turn over is huge so you're always short staffed and running around like crazy. getting 50 projects handed to you at once that they want finished at the sane time, then getting scolded because something didn't get done. It's job, but a stressful one.
Total wine review
MERCHANDISER/BEER ASSOCIATE, TOTAL WINE AND MORE (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAAugust 29, 2018
I learned a lot about craft beer, spirits and wine in the time that I worked for the company. A typical day for me consisted of helping customers make an informed decision on beers or some spirits.
Pros
great management, fun products to work with and fun work place
Cons
poor scheduling
Unsafe place to work
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  Claymont, DEAugust 24, 2018
Several people have gotten injured here, not from falls or accidents, but from repetitive stress injuries. Shoulders, backs, ankles, knees—people have gotten serious injuries from being overworked. $90 million store, but they run a skeleton crew because they are so cheap. Of course that’s only the merchandise crew. The sales associates stand around all day and chit chat or look at their cell phones. I’m sure they would rate the job highly as they get paid to help a couple of customers and then stand there and wait around for most of their day. There is no promotion from within. Not a single manager there was promoted to the position. They don’t learn the job either, so most employees are more competent than the managers are. The owners are brilliant businessmen who created a highly successful company, but it has grown so large they no longer pay close attention to the day-to-day of the individual stores, so the store managers and district managers run the show, and they aren’t competent.
Pros
Overtime, some positions require little work
Cons
Overworked, poor pay rate, incompetent managers, no chance at promotion
Good People, Bad Management
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 18, 2018
The product categories make the business an interesting place to work. Coworkers are great, outside of the work environment. Management has turned over too much in the last 4yrs resulting in frustration and lack of trust throughout the company.
Just not for me. I tried
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 11, 2018
Management at certain stores does not care about flexibility on schedule when things come up / over work, under appreciated for good workers, So that makes anyone want to quite
Pros
Discount / learn about the difference in liquor categories
Its ok
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Claymont, DEApril 19, 2018
Management tries hard to work with what they have to make your job easier. The jobs are physically demanding and performance is always expected. Breaks too short.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
Short breaks
One of the best jobs I have had
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 24, 2018
The people in that environment are the best as the managers will help you throughout the day if you need it. Coworkers are easy going and great to wrok with, giving you the feeling of a good day to work.
Pros
Free lunches and other things
Cons
A bit of micro managing
Poor management
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 20, 2018
The scheduling was completely random, with little regard for personal time. Management was incompetent, they would rarely help with tasks and provided almost no on the job training. The attitude was basically "Figure it out yourself". I remember around 7 employees quitting within two months and they all had similar complaints. Also, I never received a pay raise that was promised in my interview. I cannot recommend this company in good faith. I think this could be a good place to work if the management changed. Maybe give more than a 30 minute break for 10+ hour shifts, and provide a uniform with more breathable fabric for merchandisers.
Pros
Management was usually good about granting requested days off.
Cons
Poor management, no set scheduling of any kind.
Great place to learn about wine & sprits
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAJanuary 28, 2018
I love the fast past environment and the beauty of working in a new store and launching a great kick off to the new start of the Folsom store it was a blast

Want to know more about Total Wine & More?

Ask a question
Learning potential
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 13, 2017
Fun company to work at for the most part. Monthly team engagements helped unite us as a team. They offer classes for certifications in Wine, Beer and Spirits.
Pros
Fun, supportive team
Cons
Work-life balance almost non-existent
Rocky Road in the retail world
Merchandiser - Sarasota Area (Former Employee) –  Potomac, MDNovember 30, 2017
While I liked my fellow worker bees Middle and upper managerment were Terrible.
Only cared about their bottom line not vary good at giving the customer good service
Pros
Wine and spirits
Cons
The worst management I have ever work with or for
Total Wine
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAOctober 24, 2017
Total Wine is a fun job! They are great teachers, and there will a lot of learning. Where the product comes from, who makes it, etc... You pour beer at the growler station. They try to teach you most stations around the store, which is nice if somebody calls out. It's a job worth seeking out and trying out!!
productive and fun place to work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 20, 2017
a typical day would be putting up stock, grabbing carts from outside, helping customers with carry outs, and maintaining store cleanliness. the environment is very positive, managers are always willing to help when needed and are always striving to get more employee involvement. on Saturdays we can sometimes wear college shirts for gameday and on busy days managers would get lunch for the employees.
Good work environment. Great knowledge
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  FloridaAugust 17, 2017
I never had a problem with an associate or manager, they are very friendly. You learn and even taste a variety of wine, spirits, liqueur and beer on a daily basis. By the way, you can't swallow the alcohol. It's a good work environment.

Recommendations: Manage your delivery more wisely, because every day we have delivery, there is a mess. Unfortunately the store and stockroom doesn't have the space needed for all the products that come in.
it's retail
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJAugust 16, 2017
A typical day for my position involves a delicate balance between stocking shelves and interacting with customers. I learned how to better manage my time effectively to satisfy both needs. Management isn't 100% terrible, but isn't great either. Workplace culture is mediocre as many of the employees are cool people and enjoyable to be around, but the job itself in uninspiring.
Pros
free lunches + nice discount on Winery direct wines
Cons
no discount on beer and poor pay scaling
Nice place and outstanding colleagues.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Sandy Springs, GAJune 18, 2017
Total Wine & More is an American beverage chain store which has more than 150 locations over the United States. I decided to work there because I believed there are more knowledge I can learn other than beverage.
Pros
Nice work environment, flexible schedule.
Cons
low pay
Great Teamwork and Communication
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJune 4, 2017
A typical day at work for me usually includes: stocking beer and wine, assisting customers to find product, and offering assistance to my co-workers as much as possible.

I've learned how to communicate and work as a team here. I also honed my individual work skills here as well. We wear headsets to easily communicate across the store.

Management sees that everyone is happy and their voices heard. If there's a problem, it will get resolved. Management also encourages everyone to do their best and if their best didn't happen, then there will be another day.

The hardest part of my job is when the shipments of our product come in on Tuesdays. It's a lot of product to put away and only about 2-3 of us to do it.

The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with customers. I listen and learn new things everyday and I love that.
educational
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXMay 7, 2017
learned a lot working here. learned about all the different wines and where they come from. some of the work was hard, lifting wine boxes and what not.
Pros
good energy
Cons
heavy lifting
fun workplace
merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLApril 25, 2017
it's a nice and fun place to work if you don't mind working 10 or 12 hour shifts other than that its a great place to you will enjoy it if you like meeting new people everyday and trying different liquors and wines
Pros
free lunch everynow and then
Cons
long shifts short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.