Total Wine & More Employee Reviews for Front End Manager

This was a temporary Christmas 2012 position
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCNovember 16, 2017
Day was pleasant
Heavy load of physical work for a cashier position
As a cashier the manager expected the cashiers to clean
bathroom and trash bins
I ended up having to load grocery carts outside
Heavy volume of work moving cases of beer and wine through belt at cashier counter
Manager expected me to be on a ladder 30 feet in air loading boxes on shelves, when she knew I did not have medical insurance.
Pros
It was pleasant working with people and helping them with billing transactions at cashier counter
Cons
The manager I had was not considerate of safety for someone with no insurance.
Horrible
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 16, 2017
Worst place I have ever worked. Management is horrible and always yells at you. They expect you to know everything with NO training. Bad pay and no chance to ever move up in the company.
Pros
Some discounts on wine/liquor
Cons
No set shifts. always working late. 30 mins lunch break
Only really good if you get an invested manager
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 13, 2017
Had one manager that was very good, focused on team building and individual goals and development. Transferred stores and now have a manager with no interest in employees, too worried about being friends with people to hold them accountable to their job responsibilities.
Pros
Can make a career out of it if you have a good manager
Cons
It isn't dependent on your performance as much as who you know
Great company to work for
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJuly 9, 2017
Working there was great and fun. Enjoyed working with my coworkers I had. Holidays were fun got to be in theme with them. And contests on selling a specific product or quantity of them . Overall enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Free lunches, incentives, contests
Cons
short breaks
Not a long term company.
FRONT END TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 1, 2017
First off, the environment at first seems ok, especially the customers but the hours they give you and the pay IS NOT WORTH IT. The management just sits around at the front end chit chatting while everyone else works. I can't describe how many times that angered me. Let's not forget the favoritism is RIDICULOUS. Also getting written up for ridiculous things and knowing the managers don't have your back.
Pros
discounts, customers, Some co-workers.
Cons
Pay, the management.
Managers are managers of product and not people
Merchandiser Front end (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 15, 2017
The assistant manager in particular has been quoted as saying "I don't work weekends because i'm the scheduler""I only schedule people I like with me"
Pros
samples but cant swallow.
Cons
Bad management.
Three years still no advancement
Front End Team Member/ Sales and Service/ Reciever (Current Employee) –  Sarasota County, FLApril 4, 2017
If you want to work all day and build upper body strength then this is the job for you. Full time employees may be either 40 or 50 hour target per week depending on the position. 50 hours a week is mandatory for management. Part time is 30-40 hours in season, off season expect much less (15-20 hours). Pay is average for retail in this area of town. Company expects high volume for little reward to employee. No set schedule and very little employee development unless you constantly push for it. Very little internal promotion, management is mostly outside hires. Fast expanding company privately owned. Lots of policy changes every year, so it's hard to be consistent. Overall an okay place to work but very demanding on both body and mind. Average shift is 10 hours a day, sometimes 11 or 12. One 30 minute unpaid break for any shift over 6 hours. On your feet all day every day. Scheduling is terrible. High turnover in all positions from CEOs down to store level positions. Always hiring because of it!
Pros
Overtime pay, mostly friendly staff, wine discounts
Cons
No work/life balance, physically demanding, scheduling nightmare, poor upper management, no room for advancement
Great part time job
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 29, 2017
I have worked part time at Total Wine as a second job for 2 years and love it. The management team at my store is great and the people who work there are helpful and good workers. It is a good second job and i have had no problem getting time off when I need it. The pay is not great but if you just need some extra money it is good.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
standing for long periods of time. pay
Fantastic!
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 8, 2017
Every day running smoothly with the assistance of other FETMs and management; polite and professional environment where management showed their care for their employees. Only issue was not enough payroll hours to keep on seasonal help; was such a shame.
Great Place to Work
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 15, 2016
If you are into beer wine and spirits then this is the place!!! Wide variety of beer wine and spirits! Plus they teach you all you need to know about beer wine and spirits!!!

Want to know more about Total Wine & More?

Ask a question
Productive and Fun Environment
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTJuly 6, 2016
Working for Total Wine is an opportunity to make connections with people who have extensive knowledge on both leadership and the products they sell. While challenges can include meeting deadlines and anticipating issues, they are more than achievable with a successful team.
Work to the bone
Front End Supervisor/Wine Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 28, 2016
Work hard and don't make a lot of money. The perks are good like free wine and beer, if you qualify. Other than that its work, work, work, There is no job\life balance and the pay is low.
Pros
Free wine
Don't be fooled
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 14, 2016
Total wine is a great concept new market in mo. Extremely reasonable prices and a great customer base.... But as far as the job it's self not so much the schedule is weekly and usually put up on Friday so you have no time to plan any other activities than WORK they ask you to come in early or stay late and show no appreciation! Basically if you aren't friends with management you will not get anywhere in this company! Breaks are slim to none 30min and back to work when your working a 10 hour shift.
Pros
Free lunches at busy times, wine tasting
Cons
Short breaks, no advancement, no life, horrible management
Productive and Fun workplace
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 8, 2015
Great people to work with and fun environment; very motivating to achieve more and move up in position; cannot go wrong selling wine, spirits and beer
Good company
Wine Salesman, Front end and Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 17, 2015
I am relocating and that is the only reason I left. The pay and oppurtunity to learn was the best I have received yet. I look forward to the company going country wide.
Great experience with Total Wine..
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 17, 2014
I Loved it here... The hours where quite long sometimes (worked full time). Coworkers made it a delight working here and SOME customers as well. You get to try samples of wine and beer! And take some free bottles of wine home sometimes, which was awesome! They got wine/beer classes! It was an enjoyable experience...
Pros
Management, Co-Workers, They Give You Hours (if you want it)
Cons
Some Customers, Lifting heavy Wine Boxes
Decent Place to work
Front End Team Member/ Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAOctober 25, 2014
As a cashier days can be very boring during the slow seasons, however, management is nice and attempt to make days interesting with contests. Trying to get a promotion is easy to be a supervisor moving into management is difficult. Working full-time and going to school full-time can be difficult keeping the work hours up there to pay bills but they are willing to work with you the best they can.
Fast-paced atmosphere
Front End Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 28, 2014
I loved working here! Awesome, awesome, awesome place to work. I loved the staff and working with the customers. It's very fast-paced and there is always something to do.
Pros
Great hours and scheduling
Cons
N/a
Fun place to work
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 29, 2013
You would have a fun busy day ( because it went by fast), or you could have a slow and boring day ( because it went by slow). But the employees were always nice and helpful.
Pros
Management is understanding, people willing to help, long hours
Cons
short breaks, computer system not as good as it could be
Fun and friendly atmosphere with lots of focus on learning.
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WADecember 6, 2013
I started here before the store was even open to the public. In the beginning the store set up was intense, a lot of heavy lifting and nearly full time hours, which is unexpected for a part time employee but not a bad thing at all.

Once the store opened a typical day at work consisted of ringing out customers, having a friendly face, keeping the front end clean, and attempting to upsell the featured wines to every customer. The most enjoyable part of working here was definitely the fact that every customer was always in a good mood and never seemed to have a negative attitude. The hardest part was having to push cheap, second rate wines on customers simply because they were the ones with the biggest profit margin.
Pros
Lots and lots of free learning
Cons
very VERY short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9