Total Wine & More Employee Reviews for Cashier

Good place to work if youre not a cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 30, 2018
Management expects so much from the front end it actually seem like more than they do. Working on the floor is where it's at I've been told (by employees who work the floor or when a cashier works a floor shift) that they barely do anything and cashiering is harder work. It's nice you get to interact with customers. The bad thing is the managers and floor people are just talking away in the office area while the cashiers are super busy with customers. The management gets super upset if you leave your register to grab a bottle from the office but wont listen when you call them on the walkie talkie so they can grab it for you. What made me leave is they knew I had epilepsy and I had to call in one day because I was feeling like I was going to have one, and the manager got upset with me and tried making me feel guilty about it. Also tejy promised me hours they couldnt give I have to take an uber 5o work everytime I go so i told them i needed at least 30 hours a week In my interview (which the promised they could do) and ended up giving me like 18 at average. I was fast at what I did so they only put me to work on Friday Saturday and Sunday the busy days. I asked multiple times for more hours and never got them but yet they have a now hiring sign out front. They would give me 5 hour shifts so I wouldn't get a break and then try and make me stay longer. Either that or they would act like they didn't know I was supposed to leave at that time so I would stay longer.
Pros
I got paid
Cons
No breaks, bad management
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GANovember 14, 2018
Stocking shelves, counting money in cash register and ringing up customers. Cleaning up the store and organizing store shelves. Lots of interaction with customers.
Pros
Opportunity to meet new people
Cons
remedial tasks
started off great, but then management started to really suck
Wine Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 25, 2018
I loved working here for the first 3 years. The turn over rate is pretty high unfortunately and I think it's because of management. We get a great discount on everything in the store, we get great training all the time, and great opportunities to visit wineries, but the upper management sucks. I had been working at this company for four years when our new store manager hired 5 of his old employees he worked with at Lowe's. He started them out at a much higher pay rate than I was currently making and none of them had any experience in the alcohol industry. When our annual reviews came up, I explained in detail on why I thought I deserved a $.50 raise. $.50!! And he came back with the excuse that they didn't have the budget for that high of a raise. The company is owned by billionaires and he just hired on 5 new people at a high pay rate and I couldn't even get a $.50 raise even though I had been employee of the month 3 times and kept up my sales numbers. Another time one of the new employees my store manager had hired called out sick on a Sunday so I came in to cover her shift. I later found out that next week she wasn't sick, she called out so she could go to the store manager's BBQ and that he had encouraged her to do so. How did I find out you ask? Pictures on Facebook.
Pros
great discounts, great training, getting to go to wineries and meeting wine makers
Cons
low pay, expensive health insurance, terrible management
Fun atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Viera, FLJune 6, 2018
I enjoyed working for total wine and more. I learned a great deal about wine and there regions. Did samples of tastings. recommendations. Product growth. I just wasn't given a fair chance for full-time.
Pros
saturday was activity days. fun selling contests
Cons
Not enough hrs. given per week
The joy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Claymont, DEMarch 29, 2018
It's a great place To work specially during the holidays. Although we can get crazy busy around this time
but they do great management time with helping i 8
always recommending a new face here
Great company to work for
FETM- Cashier (Current Employee) –  Everett, MAMarch 6, 2018
I have only had 3 jobs in my life including total wine and i can say i love working for total wine. They give chances for so many different things. They allow associates to travel to assist other stores that are new get ready for opening, they give associates the chance to move up in the company, they reward the hard work all stores do.
Productive Place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDMarch 3, 2018
Management is fair
Co-workers are friendly
customers are friendly
there wasn't any part of the job that was difficult
the most enjoyable part of my job was getting free wine for selling by the case.
Pros
free lunch
A bit hectic at times
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kendall, FLFebruary 6, 2018
It can be a little overwhelming at times if you are not use to working in a high paced job such as Total Wine and More. We deal with a lot of customers who ask for strategic things that sometimes can and cannot be found in the store. It takes patience and time working there.
nice place to work but management was difficult
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 4, 2018
After awhile it started to get very hard and the management was not willing to listen to any complaints that we had. Some of the customers were hard to please and others were very friendly.
Pros
getting away from the register
Cons
30 minute lunch
It was an okay workplace.
Cashier / Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJanuary 23, 2018
A typical day at work was either being hectic or very slow. Usually it was nice and busy up at the front with the registers. If I was out on the floor, I was packing out or helping people find product. Managers are... okay, at best.
Pros
30% off of wine, 10% off of spirits and beer singles.
Cons
Not being able to move up
Fun coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 2, 2018
Coworkers are great and supportive. You can ask anyone questions and they will help. Managers are fun and good to work with, they also help out on the front end when busy.
Love my customers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CANovember 14, 2017
Balance till before start of work, cashier, keep area clean all day, answer phones, stock product on floor, offer new products, sign up new members, balance till at end of day and prepare the deposit.
Pros
Company supplies lunch on weekends
Cons
only a 10 min break
Fast and busy pasted
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 30, 2017
Standing on your for long periods of time, 30 minute break. I would not recommend for anyone. Pay is very low for the amount of work that you do. Management needs alot of work.
Cons
30 Minute lunch breaks
It was fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2017
Loved the people I worked with
& Loved the customers they where amazing if I could go back to Total Wine I would I miss my customers and co workers !
The management is usually willing to help quicjly,but there were a couple managers who treated ne very poorly. Staff nice, but competitive.
Wine Consultant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 17, 2017
It was good to get more experience in the field ,especially with the tastings. I loved that part.
I told them I wanted to be on the selling floor and to do tastings ,but they usually put me on the register., while only a few days on the selling floor.most times I couldn't get help with finding merchandise.I had to struggle.
I got quite a few opportunities to do tastings, and was very happy about that.
Pros
Working in industry
Cons
Sometimes no help, a few catty people, low pay.
Fun and productive place to work!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WAAugust 2, 2017
Great place to work! The management team is very responsive to the needs of its employees and customers! There is on-going training which allows for you to say up-to-date on new products and services so that information can be passed onto customers.
Pros
Responsive management team; on-going training
fun and productive workplace.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJuly 6, 2017
I loved working here and for he most part the people were very nice and helpful. But some of the management was more towards the money and less towards the employees and customers.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Management and corporate
work/ life
Cashier (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 8, 2017
the people that i work with are ok. management is not bad at all some are strict but very friendly. if you dont mind working long hours 10- 12 then you would enjoy this job. as for me, i do not enjoy this job at all. i feel like i live at work more than i do at home. i thought there would be a possibility for advancements, but if you do not know anything about wine nor sell the WD products then you can forgot about being promoted.
Great Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 29, 2017
Management was very encouraging of teamwork and positive reinforcement. Safely abiding the law was always the main focus.
Cashiering and stocking floor
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WANovember 16, 2015
I learned on how to correctly taste and describe the feel of wine. And how to juggle time on busy holiday hours.

Management and co-workers were all always on top of each other. Always knowing exactly what they should be doing which was very helpful.

The hardest part of the job was probably to sell product. I personally don't like being hounded by sales associates so I expect the same in return. And the most enjoyable part was being able to taste new product. So I could give reviews on product if I was asked.
Pros
Tasting and learning more about wine
Cons
Being a sales associate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.