Total Wine & More Employee Reviews for Associate

Not enough pay for the physical labor your intended to do.
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 21, 2018
You can not afford any cost of living with this job not living in the commenwealth of VA. Every store is different but they expect that you can work a 10-12 hour shift with a 30min break, break down pallettes when the delivery of our wine products get there sometimes you're doing it by yourself. Not really a team building experience, they take advantage of those they know can get work done but allow others to slack off or do nothing just because they have wine knowledge which is unfair. There is just no team, everyone for themselves. Which is why most of the people who work there are 35+ in age and that is their career but for others they try to hire younger in age they find out quick this is not a job to grow in and to go move to find better jobs or opportunities in life. Selling wine is not unless you're going to school to become a wine sommelier. They don't care about the employees who work in the store only the people who work in their cooperate offices.
Pros
The knowledge and discounts.
I was luck to have a great team that helped each other.
Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  NCMay 12, 2018
This is a very hard job and very deceiving, You don't just sell wine but you will be constantly lifting and throwing cases wine in top stock. Pulling cases from top stock to stock shelves. You will be totally filthy while trying to look professional for help customers. There really isn't anything glamorous about the job.
Pros
Great discount and "wine for life" for full time employees
Cons
Too much lifting, bad pay, DM was the worst, 30 min break for 10-12 hr days, never seems to be right or enough for DM
Company in transition
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 19, 2018
What had been best characterized as a family-owned retail business has grown exponentially in the past few years to a multi-billion dollar corporation. Managing the daily operations has not kept pace. IT systems and inventory control are far behind current practice. HR policies and standard operating procedures are inconsistently applied. Staff turnover at every level of operation is a huge issue.
Pros
Intersting job duties
Cons
Poor management
Management was unresponsive to the needs of the customers and employees
Wine associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 15, 2018
Sold wine and spirits to customers. Learned about the products by tasting. Learned to judge wine quality and price. The workplace culture was unpleasant and demanding. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers and with the opportunity to taste wines. The hardest part of the job was dealing with my direct manager who was morbidly obese and did little work.
An aggressive work atmosphere, with engagement activities
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FLFebruary 1, 2018
The work ethic on the sales floor is very aggressive. Wine and spirits sales associates are continuously educated on all aspects of wine, beer, and spirits. We make efforts to consciously engaged all associates through our " engagement calendar " bringing fun to the work environment while increasing morale and productivity.

At Total Wine, striving for excellence is always encouraged. We have morning huddles that review the previous days sales, go over an corporate messages for the day, ask for feedback from all employees that morning, and conclude with a drive to bring sales to the expected goals for the day. The morning huddles are a reminder that we stand apart from other wine, spirits, and beer retailers. We offer education to customer. Our intentions are to broaden their horizons while introducing them to new styles and varieties, educating them along the way!!!!
Pros
Wine for life..as long as your employed, you receive a case a month
Cons
Pay is low for the job requirements, few advancement opportunities
wine
Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 23, 2017
I was a wine consutlant and they did compensate with 12 free bottoles of wine every month to rate. There was alot of climbing up and down ladders and getting cases of wine from stock. I learned aolot about wine as they do send you to wine tastings and i did get to meet some winemakers.
Pros
free wine
Cons
hardly any breaks
Great Store Mgmt./Incompetent Upper Mgmt
Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CANovember 1, 2017
They hire non-industry people in upper management with six-figure incomes who know nothing about the wine, craft beer or spirits industry. They assume if you can manage a Wal-Mart or Home Depot, you can manage a wine store. The in-store managers are nice, but their regional managers are grade-A morons.
They are slow to promote from within and would rather hire someone who managed a Foot Locker than move someone with actual industry knowledge into a leadership role.
Benefits are wonderful. Pay is poor unless you're a manager.
They treat wine like a commodity. There's no genuine passion for the product, half of which are labels they buy with exclusive control on and they get for pennies on the dollar and mark up a ton. It's just a commodity to them. They might as well be selling widgets.
Benefits
Cons
No hope to advance. They hire managers from outside the industry.
Easy place to work
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WashingtonOctober 5, 2017
Great company to work for, good benefits, pay could be better considering most people are working in more than one position in the store. The management is pretty good most of the time. The only things are that it is retail so you pretty much have no social life and you can't plan for anything because your hours are never the same. They won't fire people even if they are dead weight because they don't want to have to go through more training for new employees.
Pros
Discounts, flexible, good management.
Cons
Short breaks, competitive, no social life.
Fun Learning
Spirits Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2017
You will find yourself organizing, cleaning, doing shipment, saling,making labels, doing orders and at times other people jobs. Very relaxed , sometimes demanding ,overrall the weekend is what makes it fun.
Fun Place to work but be ready for a fight
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXJuly 20, 2017
I have to push for things that were promised during my interview. I like to learn so that is really the only thing holding me there. I feel like if i need something fixed i have to beg and fight for it
Great place but empty promise in advancement
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 9, 2017
Fun place to work if you are a sales driven individual with more energy than a hamster on cocaine. The best part of the whole company is the education. I learned more at this job in one year than i did in my entire 5 years at a previous job. For the most part management is good at the store level. Regionally, however they are more disconnected and don't understand the needs of the employees. There is a lot of miscommunication and some kinks to be worked out in HR. Hardest part is moving up and most enjoyable is the experience and the education
Pros
very giving company, great education and fun environment
Cons
bad communication, and no clear advancement oppurtunities within the company
Always on the move.
Spirits Associate (Current Employee) –  Claymont, DEJune 23, 2017
This is retail at its best. Tremendous amount of customer interaction. Need to be willing to engage customers and make recommendations with knowledge to back it up.
Pros
A lot of employee fun days
Cons
Long hours and short breaks
Great place to work, but flexibility required
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  NCJune 23, 2017
Great job but need to be available when they say. Some degree of flex is allowed. Opportunities for promotion are available if persistent. Wine discounts and education is fantastic.
Pros
Discounts on wine, wine education is top notch
Cons
Have kids and want to work full time? Wont be the easiest...
Fun and productive part-time job.
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Union, NJJune 19, 2017
Awesome job to work at to gain customer service skills as well as sale tactics skills. Management is great and extremely informative. Great atmosphere, Decent pay for a retail job and awesome discounts. Total wine and more is a great part-time job!
Great place to work!
Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 1, 2017
I love my job at TWM! Everyone has respect for each other and we all work together as a team to make our customers happy. It's the best place I've worked so far!
Enjoyed atmosphere and opportunities to learn more
Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 18, 2017
Enjoyed my working with my employees and the amount of information to learn more about every product was available. The downside was that there was no room for advancement and the pay was very minimal for the amount of work put in,
Pros
good discounts on products in store
Cons
no opportunities for advancement
Wine Associate
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAMarch 15, 2017
On a typical day, wine is pulled from the overhead and stocked on the shelves. Web Orders are processed for online orders. Point of Sale is done by all. Tastings are conducted on Friday and Saturday. The delivery truck comes each Tuesday and new product is stocked on the shelves or stored in the overhead
Pros
Product discount
Cons
The strategy was changed so that all employees have the same job
productive and fun environment
Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNJanuary 19, 2017
learning about the many different wines and where they came from was a fascinating and fun experience. The environment is fast paced and the people who work their are helpful and nice.
Fun place to work. Too much turnover in management, though.
Spirits Associate (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CADecember 29, 2016
Very fun place to work. The schedule is flexible and the staff is really energetic and amiable. However, the store I worked at had 4 store managers in two years, not counting Assistant Manager turnover as well. The new managers encouraged some of the more tenured staff to quit in order to hire people from the new managers former jobs.
For a part-time college job it was great
Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 9, 2016
Good store, good company, they actually seem to care about their employees and take really good care of them.
I remember working over the Holidays and every day there was a catered lunch for the staff paid for by the company because they knew it was just a particularly busy and exhausting time.
Lots of room for careers, too, if you're into liquor as a lifestyle.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.