Total Wine & More Employee Reviews

Fun working place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLApril 30, 2017
Fun but schedule sucks!! Good if you wanna learn about beer, wine and alcohol. They do expect a lot from employees. Hours are long and during the holidays expect to be there all day.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
Pay sucks
fun workplace
merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLApril 25, 2017
it's a nice and fun place to work if you don't mind working 10 or 12 hour shifts other than that its a great place to you will enjoy it if you like meeting new people everyday and trying different liquors and wines
Pros
free lunch everynow and then
Cons
long shifts short breaks
Good place to work at short term
Merchandiser/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDApril 25, 2017
Worked there for 2 year and averaged 60-70 hours a week. Once I started college I was dropped to 5-10 hours a week. Management did not care about doctor appointment or surprised life issues that occurred. Just a typical manager style run place. No leadership ability what so ever.

Everyone is cross trained without raises. If the manager has a favorite which is mainly females you only get a10 cent raise a YEAR. No advancement opportunities.
Pros
Money and some coworkers
Cons
Management, lack of stability, favoritism.
great place to work
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 19, 2017
excellent staff. very fast paced. you learn something new every day. Management is very helpful. the culture is very positive. Its a great work environment
Pros
great place to work
Cons
na
Not worthy to be a career
Beer/WIne/Spirits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 19, 2017
At my particular location, I had a manager who was a little on the eccentric side. She meant well but she added some un-needed stress to the work environment. Overall the company is run well and I enjoyed the environment.
Enjoyed atmosphere and opportunities to learn more
Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 18, 2017
Enjoyed my working with my employees and the amount of information to learn more about every product was available. The downside was that there was no room for advancement and the pay was very minimal for the amount of work put in,
Pros
good discounts on products in store
Cons
no opportunities for advancement
Standard workplace.
Stock Clerk (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTApril 7, 2017
Pretty mundane and busy workplace. Especially the days before big Holidays. It's also a very productive workplace. There was always something to do. Which is an aspect I enjoyed.
Pros
Periodically free lunch
Cons
Unorganized scheduling.
fun place to work
Seasonal Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  West Orange, NJApril 5, 2017
They need to work on communication among employees but overall this is a great place to work. The place is very diverse and every body respects each other. Managers was cool expect for one manager who was very disrespectful. You learn about about wine beer and spirits and you gain great team work skill here.
Pros
free lunch on real busy days or when we reach a high enough sell percentage
Cons
no 15 min breaks
Three years still no advancement
Front End Team Member/ Sales and Service/ Reciever (Current Employee) –  Sarasota County, FLApril 4, 2017
If you want to work all day and build upper body strength then this is the job for you. Full time employees may be either 40 or 50 hour target per week depending on the position. 50 hours a week is mandatory for management. Part time is 30-40 hours in season, off season expect much less (15-20 hours). Pay is average for retail in this area of town. Company expects high volume for little reward to employee. No set schedule and very little employee development unless you constantly push for it. Very little internal promotion, management is mostly outside hires. Fast expanding company privately owned. Lots of policy changes every year, so it's hard to be consistent. Overall an okay place to work but very demanding on both body and mind. Average shift is 10 hours a day, sometimes 11 or 12. One 30 minute unpaid break for any shift over 6 hours. On your feet all day every day. Scheduling is terrible. High turnover in all positions from CEOs down to store level positions. Always hiring because of it!
Pros
Overtime pay, mostly friendly staff, wine discounts
Cons
No work/life balance, physically demanding, scheduling nightmare, poor upper management, no room for advancement
Super Fun
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 4, 2017
I love this job, it definatly has its up and downs but not day does by that is the same. You get a lot of regular customers that are particular in what they like. The best part of the job is the discounts that you have.
Pros
Nice Discount
Cons
Long days
A good company overall.
Team Member (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 31, 2017
The environment can be completely insane withe the amount of customers that come into the store at once, but the management is good at taking care of the employees at those times.
Great part time job
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 29, 2017
I have worked part time at Total Wine as a second job for 2 years and love it. The management team at my store is great and the people who work there are helpful and good workers. It is a good second job and i have had no problem getting time off when I need it. The pay is not great but if you just need some extra money it is good.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
standing for long periods of time. pay
Was great place save for the management
Service/Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 29, 2017
Was a great place to work at and was a promising carreer. unfortunately the store manager at the location i worked at was partially incompetent with scheduling as well as micromanaged every dettai of work
Fun place to work with a friendly atmosphere
Merchandiser, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMarch 29, 2017
A merchandiser is always busy. We are always on our feet and always have something available to do.
I learned to value teamwork and to not be afraid of asking for help. Everyone there will help you out no matter what it is.
They have a friendly atmosphere to work in with every single employee and vendors that pass through.
Hardest part of the job is staying on track of what you are doing. You can get drifted away from your job to help customers but that is ultimately what you are there for.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with some great people and nice people.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 24, 2017
friendly staff and a typical day is pretty busy you will have no problem having productive day. I learned how to upload invoice into Lawson as well as enter invoice into Medius
Pros
Sometime free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Wine Associate
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAMarch 15, 2017
On a typical day, wine is pulled from the overhead and stocked on the shelves. Web Orders are processed for online orders. Point of Sale is done by all. Tastings are conducted on Friday and Saturday. The delivery truck comes each Tuesday and new product is stocked on the shelves or stored in the overhead
Pros
Product discount
Cons
The strategy was changed so that all employees have the same job
Very fast paced yet fun
Front End Team Member/Floor Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 7, 2017
A typical day at Total Wine and More is steady. There are a number of tasks to keep you busy - whether it is pricing items, breaking down boxes or refilling empty shelves.
Work/life balance is eh. I typically work weekends, which gives me nearly no time to go out for a social life. If you want a social life working here you won't get many hours. Just the way of the job.

Needless to say, working for Total Wine is very entertaining and fun. You learn A LOT about the products, processes and seasons of wine and beer. You get to know your customers, and a lot of retail sales in general.

However, if you are looking to advance you must show your worth and gain a keyholder position or find a different job. Most managers are hired outside the company.
Pros
sometimes free lunches, first dibs on new beers, 10% beer single discounts, 30% WD discounts, and 10% NB and $50 discounts.
Cons
short and minimal breaks, no advancement, long hours
Cool place to work for.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAFebruary 15, 2017
I've been with the company for 6 years, and as much as I love it, I am looking to move into a sales representative position for a brewery or distributor.
Pros
Work with beer, wine, and spirits
Cons
Standard retail
Growing Company
Associate (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDFebruary 9, 2017
It's a young company and growing rapidly so there are kinks with management and internal career development. My first job directly in my field after college. I've learned a lot.
Great place to start out
Sales Associate/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAFebruary 3, 2017
Great place to begin learning sales techniques within the retail industry and and to learn vast amounts of information on the wine & spirits industry. Not much room to advance, look to work for a distributor or vendor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9