Total Wine & More Employee Reviews

Lack of leadership, advancement opportunity, work/life balance
Wine and Spirits Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 21, 2017
Total Wine has a distinct leadership problem, among other things. Management is plagued by mixed message syndrome and the current focus of the company seems to be- work as many hours as possible to compensate for low wages, sell the company product to make as much profit for the company as possible, sleep on Sunday. Work / home balance is rendered nearly impossible by the six day work schedule necessary to make ends meet on the low wages.
The organization is quite top heavy, with lots of white shirts buzzing about with very little actual work to do, thus they tend to fixate on inane busy work- whipping up the koolaid, changing price tags, and encouraging upsell techniques. Advancement opportunity seems absolutely dependent on political maneuvering, game playing, how willing an individual is to live at the office, and seems to have zero to do with merit 75% of the time. Inexperienced and untrained managers seem to be everywhere, (with a few exceptions) knowledgeable in company-specific sales tactics but clueless in people skills or actual management ability. There are a small handful of good folks at ground level who shoulder the brunt of the workload, are passionate about product knowledge and customer service, and it is these folks who carry the integrity of the organization.
In general this organization is made up of some really good people and has many good resources / tools at its disposal, they just seem to lack a cohesive plan and the leadership to make best use of them, for which the culture and brand suffer.
Pros
great people, discounted booze
Cons
long hours, low pay, lots expected, little advancement opportunity
productive and fun place to work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 20, 2017
a typical day would be putting up stock, grabbing carts from outside, helping customers with carry outs, and maintaining store cleanliness. the environment is very positive, managers are always willing to help when needed and are always striving to get more employee involvement. on Saturdays we can sometimes wear college shirts for gameday and on busy days managers would get lunch for the employees.
A day at total wine and more
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNSeptember 18, 2017
A day at total wine, doesn't consist of much. In the beginning of the day clocking in and putting my things in my locker. Going to my register I'm assigned to counting it in and getting my day started with the first customer of the day. I learned a lot working at that job knowing how to sell product from being at the end of sale, being polite, kind and courteous as well as being fast paced.
Pros
monthly bonuses, team lunches
Cons
short breaks
The management is usually willing to help quicjly,but there were a couple managers who treated ne very poorly. Staff nice, but competitive.
Wine Consultant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 17, 2017
It was good to get more experience in the field ,especially with the tastings. I loved that part.
I told them I wanted to be on the selling floor and to do tastings ,but they usually put me on the register., while only a few days on the selling floor.most times I couldn't get help with finding merchandise.I had to struggle.
I got quite a few opportunities to do tastings, and was very happy about that.
Pros
Working in industry
Cons
Sometimes no help, a few catty people, low pay.
Only really good if you get an invested manager
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 13, 2017
Had one manager that was very good, focused on team building and individual goals and development. Transferred stores and now have a manager with no interest in employees, too worried about being friends with people to hold them accountable to their job responsibilities.
Pros
Can make a career out of it if you have a good manager
Cons
It isn't dependent on your performance as much as who you know
boring
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cave Creek, AZSeptember 10, 2017
This Place was slow and boring to work at. I was hired as a cashier and worked all over the store because it was busy enough for me to just do my job.
decent pay with no experience
Wine Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 7, 2017
I had a great management team at two stores I worked and I would refer anyone to work there. turnover rate is high for cashiers since that isn't a forever job unless you want to advance with the company. otherwise, there is room for growth if you put your mind to it.
Ok, it is a job
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 6, 2017
Job is OK, its serves it purpose, provides the hours I needed as a student. Typical day requires lots of standing, interacting with customers. Management is ok, I had issues with individual managers but HR resolved those issues.
For the Love of Wine
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 4, 2017
Physical, fast-paced environment. Much emphasis on selling proprietary product. Leadership takes on an old-school mentality. Leadership through fear and intimidation is common.
Pros
Product knowledge, free wine and beer for education.
Cons
Poor wages for non-management positions.
Great place to work at.
Cashier, Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 31, 2017
I loved to work at Total Wine but they recently switched me to night shift. So, I'm looking for a little more money at a new place and only work the day shift.

Want to know more about Total Wine & More?

Ask a question
Nice people
Facilities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDAugust 25, 2017
The employees there are great. I established some great friendships there. Extreme favoritism in upper management and the turnover ratio is extremely high and the pay scale is terrible for the amount of hours you spend there and the volume of work they're asking you to do...
Pros
Store discounts, team members and location..
Cons
Short breaks, pay scale, long hours.
Lazy
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Miami, FLAugust 25, 2017
Total Wine have the potential to be a great company to work for depending on Management. The store in North Miami the staff is cool, Management is extremely lazy and just don't care. The more money you spend the more they try to assist you. Spanish workers run the store.
Pros
they make sure you eat. They take care the workers on holidays
Cons
Management sucks and they lazy
Fun Learning
Spirits Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2017
You will find yourself organizing, cleaning, doing shipment, saling,making labels, doing orders and at times other people jobs. Very relaxed , sometimes demanding ,overrall the weekend is what makes it fun.
Good work environment. Great knowledge
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  FloridaAugust 17, 2017
I never had a problem with an associate or manager, they are very friendly. You learn and even taste a variety of wine, spirits, liqueur and beer on a daily basis. By the way, you can't swallow the alcohol. It's a good work environment.

Recommendations: Manage your delivery more wisely, because every day we have delivery, there is a mess. Unfortunately the store and stockroom doesn't have the space needed for all the products that come in.
it's retail
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJAugust 16, 2017
A typical day for my position involves a delicate balance between stocking shelves and interacting with customers. I learned how to better manage my time effectively to satisfy both needs. Management isn't 100% terrible, but isn't great either. Workplace culture is mediocre as many of the employees are cool people and enjoyable to be around, but the job itself in uninspiring.
Pros
free lunches + nice discount on Winery direct wines
Cons
no discount on beer and poor pay scaling
Fun and productive place to work!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WAAugust 2, 2017
Great place to work! The management team is very responsive to the needs of its employees and customers! There is on-going training which allows for you to say up-to-date on new products and services so that information can be passed onto customers.
Pros
Responsive management team; on-going training
Toxic Environment
Co-Manager/Manager (Current Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 31, 2017
I would pass on Total Wine. It is a temporary place to work if you need it. There is no upward mobility, and rules are not applied evenly across the company. Turnover is roughly 60% for management and wine associates.
Pros
Free Wine, Free Lunches
Cons
Work/Life, Winery Direct Products, Associate Training, Upward Mobility, Benefits
Fun Place to work but be ready for a fight
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXJuly 20, 2017
I have to push for things that were promised during my interview. I like to learn so that is really the only thing holding me there. I feel like if i need something fixed i have to beg and fight for it
Very productive workplace
Customer Service, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Claymont, DEJuly 17, 2017
It's a job! One break 30 mins. If you smoke(cigarettes) you can take about 5 smoke breaks (only 5 mins though). Need better Management and some Management needs to be retrained or trained in all departments so they know knowledge of products and procedures.
Pros
Discounts on wine and free class knowledge on wine and beer plus spirits
Cons
Short breaks
Typical Corporate Madness!!!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 17, 2017
A company that boasts it's profits, and sales numbers should compensate the employees better. There is no advancement potential, as all management is hired from outside of the company. Company spends tons of money on training these people, and neglects the current employees that are already working there. Total lack of respect and understanding of work/life balance. The job requires standing all day, and watching management chit chat while you bust you're back. Always understaffed, and you watch employee after employee leave for a better job. Raises are a joke, and you can forget about the promises you were told when hired. The company has no connection to the back bone of the company (the workers), and it shows with it's high turn over numbers. Look elsewhere, if you are seeking a job with growth potential.
Pros
You're co-workers
Cons
Management, pay, promotions, work/life balance, etc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.