Total Wine & More Employee Reviews

You have to be a iron man ever day.
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 25, 2017
Got a merch job not true it was a freight job. I was not there long the job was not the job I said yes too. They need a night crew and there organization was terrible if they new how to properly move weight it would be better. I was expected too move up too 12,000 lbs a day by hand way more then I was told and way more then should be the normal for anyone. For the money there are way better jobs. They need a big back room not stack a mile high on top of the rack super dangerous one bad move and yes big injury. For being a billion dollar company needs so big time help but greed is greed.
Pros
Cool customers
Cons
Not enough staff, lifting way to much weight
Total Wine
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAOctober 24, 2017
Total Wine is a fun job! They are great teachers, and there will a lot of learning. Where the product comes from, who makes it, etc... You pour beer at the growler station. They try to teach you most stations around the store, which is nice if somebody calls out. It's a job worth seeking out and trying out!!
Horrible
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 16, 2017
Worst place I have ever worked. Management is horrible and always yells at you. They expect you to know everything with NO training. Bad pay and no chance to ever move up in the company.
Pros
Some discounts on wine/liquor
Cons
No set shifts. always working late. 30 mins lunch break
Workload is stressful
Assistant Store Manager, Human Resource Captain (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 15, 2017
A typical work day is very busy. Always trying to satisfy as many customers as possible while still trying to set aside time to complete necessary duties/functions. There is a slow process for internal promotions.
Pros
Wine trips, benefits, perks
Cons
pay
Was not the right fit for me
Sr. Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 11, 2017
Executives have their own agendas that are personally motivated. They can get away with treating people with complete disrespect. HR is a toothless kitten that will not help you drive change.
Pros
Loved my coworkers and the projects I got to work on.
Cons
Work life balance, no increase for promotion, abusive executives
Easy place to work
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WashingtonOctober 5, 2017
Great company to work for, good benefits, pay could be better considering most people are working in more than one position in the store. The management is pretty good most of the time. The only things are that it is retail so you pretty much have no social life and you can't plan for anything because your hours are never the same. They won't fire people even if they are dead weight because they don't want to have to go through more training for new employees.
Pros
Discounts, flexible, good management.
Cons
Short breaks, competitive, no social life.
It was fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2017
Loved the people I worked with
& Loved the customers they where amazing if I could go back to Total Wine I would I miss my customers and co workers !
Good place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2017
Good place if you like the environment. Sales. Tasting. Cashier. When it’s time to work you need to be ready. Short breaks. Have to go good customer service.
If you want to work your life away, work here.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaSeptember 24, 2017
The company is growing too fast and not taking care of their employees. The turnover in MN is astronomical for managers and team members. The main part of this is due to understaffing and the company over working employees. Managers are required to work a minimum of 50hrs/week, it usually ends up being 60. There is no consistent schedule, you work 11-12hr shifts sporadically throughout the week on your feet all day, one 30min unpaid break. Your shifts start anywhere from 5am to 12pm and end anywhere from 330pm to Midnight. You’ll also usually close the day before your day off and open the day after so your day off is cut short. They also pay regular team members horribly for what they expect out of them.
The culture is completely focused on selling Winery/Spirit Direct items that the company has huge margins on. The entire store is high pressured to sell only these items. They expect everyone to be a high pressure sales person in order for managers to achieve bonuses.
The only positive part of the job was seeing decent paychecks, good discounts and initial wine/spirit training.
If you want to work really hard everyday, become sleep deprived and have no life outside of work, this is the job for you!
Pros
Pay, alcohol discounts
Cons
No work/life balance, Short break, Bad Upper Management.
Total Wine
Cashier and sales still there (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32803September 21, 2017
I worked as a cashier, spirit sales and wine associate. Required to learn product line with taste and all other attributes. Required to make sure we hit a WD and SD percentage each week.
Pros
fun time with customers
Cons
no work life balance
Lack of leadership, advancement opportunity, work/life balance
Wine and Spirits Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 21, 2017
Total Wine has a distinct leadership problem, among other things. Management is plagued by mixed message syndrome and the current focus of the company seems to be- work as many hours as possible to compensate for low wages, sell the company product to make as much profit for the company as possible, sleep on Sunday. Work / home balance is rendered nearly impossible by the six day work schedule necessary to make ends meet on the low wages.
The organization is quite top heavy, with lots of white shirts buzzing about with very little actual work to do, thus they tend to fixate on inane busy work- whipping up the koolaid, changing price tags, and encouraging upsell techniques. Advancement opportunity seems absolutely dependent on political maneuvering, game playing, how willing an individual is to live at the office, and seems to have zero to do with merit 75% of the time. Inexperienced and untrained managers seem to be everywhere, (with a few exceptions) knowledgeable in company-specific sales tactics but clueless in people skills or actual management ability. There are a small handful of good folks at ground level who shoulder the brunt of the workload, are passionate about product knowledge and customer service, and it is these folks who carry the integrity of the organization.
In general this organization is made up of some really good people and has many good resources / tools at its disposal, they just seem to lack a cohesive plan and the leadership to make best use of them, for which the culture and brand suffer.
Pros
great people, discounted booze
Cons
long hours, low pay, lots expected, little advancement opportunity
productive and fun place to work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 20, 2017
a typical day would be putting up stock, grabbing carts from outside, helping customers with carry outs, and maintaining store cleanliness. the environment is very positive, managers are always willing to help when needed and are always striving to get more employee involvement. on Saturdays we can sometimes wear college shirts for gameday and on busy days managers would get lunch for the employees.
A day at total wine and more
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNSeptember 18, 2017
A day at total wine, doesn't consist of much. In the beginning of the day clocking in and putting my things in my locker. Going to my register I'm assigned to counting it in and getting my day started with the first customer of the day. I learned a lot working at that job knowing how to sell product from being at the end of sale, being polite, kind and courteous as well as being fast paced.
Pros
monthly bonuses, team lunches
Cons
short breaks
The management is usually willing to help quicjly,but there were a couple managers who treated ne very poorly. Staff nice, but competitive.
Wine Consultant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 17, 2017
It was good to get more experience in the field ,especially with the tastings. I loved that part.
I told them I wanted to be on the selling floor and to do tastings ,but they usually put me on the register., while only a few days on the selling floor.most times I couldn't get help with finding merchandise.I had to struggle.
I got quite a few opportunities to do tastings, and was very happy about that.
Pros
Working in industry
Cons
Sometimes no help, a few catty people, low pay.
Only really good if you get an invested manager
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 13, 2017
Had one manager that was very good, focused on team building and individual goals and development. Transferred stores and now have a manager with no interest in employees, too worried about being friends with people to hold them accountable to their job responsibilities.
Pros
Can make a career out of it if you have a good manager
Cons
It isn't dependent on your performance as much as who you know
boring
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cave Creek, AZSeptember 10, 2017
This Place was slow and boring to work at. I was hired as a cashier and worked all over the store because it was busy enough for me to just do my job.
decent pay with no experience
Wine Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 7, 2017
I had a great management team at two stores I worked and I would refer anyone to work there. turnover rate is high for cashiers since that isn't a forever job unless you want to advance with the company. otherwise, there is room for growth if you put your mind to it.
Ok, it is a job
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 6, 2017
Job is OK, its serves it purpose, provides the hours I needed as a student. Typical day requires lots of standing, interacting with customers. Management is ok, I had issues with individual managers but HR resolved those issues.
For the Love of Wine
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDSeptember 4, 2017
Physical, fast-paced environment. Much emphasis on selling proprietary product. Leadership takes on an old-school mentality. Leadership through fear and intimidation is common.
Pros
Product knowledge, free wine and beer for education.
Cons
Poor wages for non-management positions.
Great place to work at.
Cashier, Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 31, 2017
I loved to work at Total Wine but they recently switched me to night shift. So, I'm looking for a little more money at a new place and only work the day shift.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9