Total Wine & More Employee Reviews

dont know how they have not been sued
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 8, 2018
Company makes offers and promises on advanced placement and growth especially in their MIT program, however has a turnover rate of over 70% in assistant managers.

The company and executive team members in the Florida market forbid taking care of team members in both pay and work life balance. Managers would pay out of pocket to provided team members with lunch , bus or uber fare to assist in overall team moral.

The company is biased to male managers and does not openly publish open positions, it is based on the old boys club.

The company has a supposed hotline number for people to call anonymously with any complaints or issues with co workers or managers. unfortunately it is not confidential. The store manager and other members of management is notified and then confront the team member who sent in the issue. It is truly disturbing and a HR nightmare. I dont know how this company has not been sued. The lack of HR representation, understanding and education is disturbing.
Cons
poor managment, sexist
Very fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLMay 7, 2018
I enjoy all of my coworkers. The personalities there are great. I've ;earned just about all there is to know about wine, spirits, and beer. You feel supported by staff... great job overall.
Pros
Tasting products, free products, always food in break room!
Cons
Pay, standing, nothing else.
Good Part-Time Job
Sales Team Member (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNMay 2, 2018
I had a really good relationship with my coworkers here and the Store Manager was great. Really easy products to sell and customers are often pleasant.
Pros
Good part-time work
Cons
Scheduling communication can be a challenge. May work when you wanted days off.
One of the best places to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 30, 2018
Working at Total Wine was a blessing. One of the best places I've ever worked. Great benefits and great store morale. Everyone was always happy. Discount is good too.
Pros
benefits, discount
management/ uniform polices ruined this job for me
CASHIER/SERVICE/SALES TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTApril 25, 2018
Management absolutely sucked. out of the 5 managers, only one was good and treated employees fairly. And after working there for six month the owners got more strict with their policies on tattoos and piercings. When i was hired, my tattoo and piercings wern't a big deal and then all of a sudden we had to cover tattoos and take piercings out. They lost multiple really good employees from my location alone never mind all the other stores as well.
Fun place to work
manager (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, flApril 24, 2018
Overall Total Wine is a very fun place to work. Location to location managers vary and that is to be expected. I have had bad, good and great leadership while working here. I am currently in management and my senior leadership is very helpful and supportive. Being an internal promote is tough but I believe it is better here than 90% of retail. I highly recommend applying and having some conversation to see if it is the right fit for you. The days are long for full timers but they are never ever boring. It's retail so weekends are a must. If you work hard and truly put your all into it you will advance sometimes it may seem slow. Remember you advertise for yourself and push to learn new things don't wait on it to come to you.
Pros
Free wine, lot's of training, changing environment, encouraged to make mistakes
Cons
Long days, work life balance is hard but not impossible
Fun place to work to learn about spirits
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 23, 2018
Quick paced customer service environment. Typical day includes cashier register functions, stocking supplies and lifting 50lb boxes of wine and spirits.
Its ok
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Claymont, DEApril 19, 2018
Management tries hard to work with what they have to make your job easier. The jobs are physically demanding and performance is always expected. Breaks too short.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
Short breaks
Great people you meet with fun culture
Marketing/Advertising (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 8, 2018
A typical work day consists of a lot of emails, collaborating with team members and having a strong follow through to complete projects that have deadlines. If not carefully applied, your projects will get slowed down trying to resolve. The department where I work has a very supportive management team with a open door. We all have a great passion for what we do and everyone goes the extra mile to support one another. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a work/life balance. It's very difficult to unplug on the weekends because there's so much work to do to even keep up with the fast paced environment. When our team get's finished with a project we have to work hard to catch up with our individual projects. On the plus side, you definitely learn a lot on the job and get to work with some great people. There's always food supplied and fun activities that go on around the office to keep our morale up. I would recommend working here for people whom are willing to learn in a fast paced environment.
Pros
Periodic free lunches
Cons
work/life balance
The management is poor, but the coworkers and customers make up for it
Merchandiser & beer salesman (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 6, 2018
The managers are not effective leaders, and neither do they promote advancement. However, the rest of the staff are great people. The most enjoyable part of the job is engaging customers and learning about the products.
Overall Pleasant place to work
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTApril 5, 2018
Its hard to move up would be my only complaint, other than that the work experience was fine. Great place to learn about wines and balance.
Open late and have great prices as well as variety.
Pros
Great place to learn
Cons
Hard to move up
Growing too fast to worry about its people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 4, 2018
Company has no clear strategy or culture; no career advancement opportunities. The company is growing rapidly which is great, however, it is not done with an attention to detail that provides for long-term success.
Total Wine
Service Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 4, 2018
I love working for Total Wine & More benefits are great and the flexibility to work "anywhere" in the US is a plus.

Plenty of opportunities for advancement.
Good
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLApril 3, 2018
The best you will get for retail environment. Total Wine is a fun & innovating place to work. They train you on wine spirits and beer. The managers are super fun to work with, Great environment.
Stay away
Senior Buying Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 2, 2018
dont do it. Just dont.

Not at all a good place to be. Find something else. Anything.

Do not work at TWM corporate office. It is not worth it. Dont do it!
Don't do it
Senior Campaign Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMarch 31, 2018
This place is a mess- they've had multiple CEOs in the last 2+ years, department heads and org structures change almost quarterly leading to no cohesive vision. Thousands of dollars worth of decisions are made in reaction to very short periods of times, very reactionary, leading to insane hours of re-work that could be avoided by planning further ahead. Career advancement is difficult because they usually just choose to bring in outside hires. Very little diversity. 45 hour minimum work weeks, 4 official holidays/year, not eligible for bonuses under Director positions.
The joy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Claymont, DEMarch 29, 2018
It's a great place To work specially during the holidays. Although we can get crazy busy around this time
but they do great management time with helping i 8
always recommending a new face here
Total Wine as a company is a good place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 27, 2018
The Management staff at the Ft. Myers location lacks the ability to communicate as well as the ability to lead by example. There’s clear no direction or vision. Often times upper management refuses to assist during critical times.
Pros
Free wine
Cons
Poor management
total wine
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 24, 2018
low pay. high stress. labor intensive. standing for hours. don't offer job advancements. the pay raises at the end of the year are not adequate for living. Most raises were less then a dime.
One of the best jobs I have had
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 24, 2018
The people in that environment are the best as the managers will help you throughout the day if you need it. Coworkers are easy going and great to wrok with, giving you the feeling of a good day to work.
Pros
Free lunches and other things
Cons
A bit of micro managing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.