Total Wine & More Employee Reviews

I worked at 2 Total Wine stores
Sales / merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Woodbury, MNJanuary 8, 2018
Two stores like day and night. LOVED the Maple Grove store and HATED the Woodbury store. Would go back in a heartbeat, if it was like Maple Groveā¤ I wish I never transferred from there.
Chill work place
Spirit Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 4, 2018
It's nice and relaxed. You talk to customers and help them with their purchases based on your knowledge. I learned the differences between all types of spirits.
Pros
free lunches, relaxed
Cons
competitive hours
Great place to work!!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2018
Loved this company. They are super nice, they want you to succeed. They want to promote from within, and very eager to train! They make sure to take care of all their customers as well as their team. It felt like a family!
Pros
Gave extra hours, catered lunch, games & contest
Cons
late shifts and weekends
Fun coworkers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 2, 2018
Coworkers are great and supportive. You can ask anyone questions and they will help. Managers are fun and good to work with, they also help out on the front end when busy.
Great workplace
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 28, 2017
If you wanna about wines this will be the perfect company to apply for they will fill you in about all the different wines and beers they carry you can always sip the wines and beer
Learning potential
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 13, 2017
Fun company to work at for the most part. Monthly team engagements helped unite us as a team. They offer classes for certifications in Wine, Beer and Spirits.
Pros
Fun, supportive team
Cons
Work-life balance almost non-existent
Tasting and self guided learning
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 7, 2017
Very structured and controlling atmosphere. Lots of opportunity to learn and tasted many different wines and spirits styles.Very large selection, however only the Winery Direct (house brands) are what company is interested in selling.
Pros
Monthly wine allocation
Cons
Micromanagement
fun place to work
Cashier/Sales (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 26, 2017
Good place to work great atmosphere. lots of growth opportunity for those who are in interested. lots of fun perks as well like discounts and tastings of popular wines. You learn a lot about wine and other alcohols.
fast paced place to work
Front-End Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Union, NJNovember 25, 2017
fast pace and fun place to work managers work with you. and discount on wine purches. light money counting and closing paperwork is eazy. employees are great people to work with.
Terrible work environment
Merchandiser & Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLNovember 25, 2017
Hours were very long and pay was terrible. Pay raises were almost non existent and as well as advancement opportunities. Management was not always aware of responsibilities due to positions usually being held by people from outside of the company to fill the roles. No rapport with management in order to fill out daily duties in an efficient manner.
Pros
Knowledge of different spirits and wine
Cons
No advancement opportunities
wine
Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 23, 2017
I was a wine consutlant and they did compensate with 12 free bottoles of wine every month to rate. There was alot of climbing up and down ladders and getting cases of wine from stock. I learned aolot about wine as they do send you to wine tastings and i did get to meet some winemakers.
Pros
free wine
Cons
hardly any breaks
Wine Manager
Assistant Store Manager (Wine Manager) (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 23, 2017
The culture of Total Wine is holding it back from being a really great place to grow a career.

Most days feel like I'm trying to fit 10 lbs of *stuff* in a 2 lbs bag.

Management sets unrealistic expectations and fails to hear the solutions to opportunities. Employee turnover is high, even for retail, and the amount of training that is required to be even the most entry level of positions means that you're constantly having to train new people without the support of veteran staff.

A typical shift is 10 hours long with a single 30 minute meal break.

The culture is toxic and negative at the store level.
Pros
Free case of wine every month and ample training.
Cons
Low pay, Long hours, No WL Balance, Toxic culture, no upward mobility.
fun place
Sales/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 18, 2017
i love it it was great. hopefully i can work somewhere like that again. helping people. and making people feel great!!!!!!!!! I appreciate the opportunity
This was a temporary Christmas 2012 position
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCNovember 16, 2017
Day was pleasant
Heavy load of physical work for a cashier position
As a cashier the manager expected the cashiers to clean
bathroom and trash bins
I ended up having to load grocery carts outside
Heavy volume of work moving cases of beer and wine through belt at cashier counter
Manager expected me to be on a ladder 30 feet in air loading boxes on shelves, when she knew I did not have medical insurance.
Pros
It was pleasant working with people and helping them with billing transactions at cashier counter
Cons
The manager I had was not considerate of safety for someone with no insurance.
productive work place
Spirits Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 16, 2017
sold and managed the liquor department, merchandised aisle. stock freight liquor bottles. had to meet sales quota. maintained aisle to company standards
Pros
relaxed enviorment
Cons
meet sales quota
GREAT training, very bad management
Wine and Craft Beer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 16, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my job at Total Wine, but sometimes you quit a job and sometimes you quit a boss. I learned SO MUCH about wine and craft beers, and I would not trade that training for the world... I only wish the managers were more professional and the toxic work environment they create make the job unbearable. Gossip, demeaning verbiage, and unfair treatment (playing favorites) were the normal practice of management. Such a shame, because it would have otherwise been the best job I've ever had.
Pros
Training, discounts.
Cons
Management, very low pay.
Love my customers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CANovember 14, 2017
Balance till before start of work, cashier, keep area clean all day, answer phones, stock product on floor, offer new products, sign up new members, balance till at end of day and prepare the deposit.
Pros
Company supplies lunch on weekends
Cons
only a 10 min break
Total Slavery & More
Supervisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaNovember 8, 2017
Stressful micro management style that demeans all other assistant managers as well as entire staff. .. false sense of team effort as most are over worked already while others that are lazy with no work erihic are allowed to weigh down everyone else. Unrealistic expectations put on team to accomplish overloaded tasks in a short time frame , but still have to attend to all customers. Terrible tracking of inventory and merchandising making it impossible to locate items. Physical demands that would make monkeys go crazy !
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Hours worked, management style, stressful environment, trickle down negativity from the top down
Great
Cashier/Wine Team Member (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VANovember 5, 2017
I had a wonderful experience - coworkers were like family. Great pay, benefits. I have no complaints about my experience working for the company. I would work there again, if I had the opportunity. I now live in a city with no Total Wine stores.
It was wonderful working for Total WIne
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLNovember 2, 2017
I really enjoyed working for Total Wine. They were very helpful and always ensured a great company culture. One thing I can say about this company is that the managers were always a pleasure to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.