Total Wine & More Employee Reviews

If you like alcohol and can get in full time, it's great!
Seasonal Wine/Spirits Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 24, 2018
I was seasonal, so I unfortunately didn't get to stay very long. Management was good, although I have my gripes, as any employee would. The job wasn't hard, but there is room to improve the way the company handles overstock in stores. Overall it was a fun job, and I miss it.
Solid company, real sense of comradery
WINE TEAM ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTFebruary 23, 2018
Total Wine is a great company to work for. Real team and goal oriented. Always a real sense of comradery with the other co-workers. The company is doing exceedingly well, which give you a good feeling to work for a successful company.
Pros
Good benefits, real team effort from co-workers.
Cons
Hours are irregular, so work life balance is not easy.
Fun, but stressful and low-paying job
Wine Team Member (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLFebruary 22, 2018
Much of the work is interesting and fun, with the pleasure of learning something new daily. The employee discount is excellent, and most of the co-workers are great to work with.
For a three billion dollar company, wholly-owned by two brothers, the pay for those below management level is embarrassingly low, with most entry-level employees is below the poverty level. Even supervisors are paid below $20/hour, in spite of the daily stress of their responsibilities.
To keep operating costs down, staffing is always inadequate, creating stress because of not being able to properly serve the customers, and complete assigned and necessary tasks. Likewise, a short 30-minute lunch break is inadequate to relax and eat, without gulping down food, further increasing stress levels.
Pros
Daily learning, discounts, cool co-workers.
Cons
Low pay, high stress, working holidays.
Poor management
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 20, 2018
The scheduling was completely random, with little regard for personal time. Management was incompetent, they would rarely help with tasks and provided almost no on the job training. The attitude was basically "Figure it out yourself". I remember around 7 employees quitting within two months and they all had similar complaints. Also, I never received a pay raise that was promised in my interview. I cannot recommend this company in good faith. I think this could be a good place to work if the management changed. Maybe give more than a 30 minute break for 10+ hour shifts, and provide a uniform with more breathable fabric for merchandisers.
Pros
Management was usually good about granting requested days off.
Cons
Poor management, no set scheduling of any kind.
centralized management
Senior E-Commerce Developer (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDFebruary 17, 2018
Very limited opportunity to get a promotion. Some people stay in BA role for 5 years. The IT manager is very scared of taking responsibility after getting suggestion with details like concepts and prototyping.
Started Great....
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 17, 2018
When hired at Total Wine, the team was fantastic. The managers were attentive and hardworking, always out monitoring the store during the busiest of hours and saving their office work for slower periods.
After working there about 4 months a new store was built locally and needed a new team so most of our upper management transferred out to there and we had new managers transferred in. The new managers are unorganized and constantly overwhelmed as our store has a higher volume of customers than the stores they came from.
Pros
30% off wine, knowledge of different wine cultures
Cons
Over worked, very low pay for low level employees
Management was unresponsive to the needs of the customers and employees
Wine associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 15, 2018
Sold wine and spirits to customers. Learned about the products by tasting. Learned to judge wine quality and price. The workplace culture was unpleasant and demanding. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with customers and with the opportunity to taste wines. The hardest part of the job was dealing with my direct manager who was morbidly obese and did little work.
Very busy and always understaffed.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  FloidaFebruary 14, 2018
ASM pay is very fair, plus its hourly. BUT you may have to work 60 hours/6 days due to the store always needing people since turnover is very high. Just to busy for some folks to handle. Roles are not as defined as they could be. Feels like your always trying to catch up in this particularly very high volume store. Hours are tough. Late nights then having to work early and so erratic. It makes it hard to get proper rest since your schedule varies so much. Favorite managers get the best schedules. Its retail so not much weekend time off. There are some great perks during busy days like free food for lunches and events. New policies about only having very very short beards are ridiculous in this day and age. Do not even think about tattoos, piercings, hair colors, or even guys allowed to have earrings. Total Wine does not allow any individuality at all. Your a corporate drone. Uniforms are very formal, button down long sleeve shirts and ties. Stores are usually very warm so plan on sweating all day.
Pros
Free food, Competitive salaries for management, very reasonably priced health/vision/dental benefits
Cons
Rough schedules, very long shifts with few if no breaks. Extremely restrictive rules about hair, beards, earrings, tattoos, etc
Great People, Great Environment, Needs to Be More Forward About Full Time/ Seasonal Hiring
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNFebruary 12, 2018
Work days were fun and energetic, and they have a great team.

I learned how to properly identify fake I.D.s and tell if someone is influenced by alcohol or not. I also learned a lot about various kinds of alcohol and wines.

The managers are fun great people, but they need to give you more time in advance before telling you if you have been hired full time or not. I only received a four day notice.

The workplace culture is fantastic. Nice co-workers and reasonable managers.

Hardest part of the job to me was working with the occasional difficult customer. There are very few incidents though.

The most enjoyable part was the customers and staff. everyone is usually very nice.
Pros
Great team members
Cons
Needs Better Communication from Managers.
Decent Retail work
Merchandising Team Mentor (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTFebruary 12, 2018
Decent work and benefits but poor pay and mediocre management hurt. Bad hours and a general feeling of apathy from most people there. There are a few good coworkers and a single good manager who keep the store running.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
incompetent management, no promotion potential
Holidays are busy and fun with free food
Merchandiser/Sales (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVFebruary 7, 2018
As a merchandiser they want you to put a whole truck away in a 8 to 10 hour shift and pay you only 10 dollars an hour to do it. Some managers are kind and understanding but than you have others that don't care and will throw you under the bus any chance they get. Store manager is barely there. The other employees make the best of if and make it fun to work there. Total wine definitely strives on making sure we have knowledge of wine and spirits I have learned a lot from my other associates and will take that knowledge on to further jobs.Holidays are the best because the week of Christmas they have food brought in that week. You get a bottle of wine and chocolates for Christmas and if you met the sales goal for that week ya get a bottle too. The rest of the year is slow with them only giving part timers 10 to 20 hours a week and full timers get up to 50. Only full time there is are sales associates or merchandiser so its either work physically hard being a merch for little pay or sale wine or spirits and get talked to because you didn't make WD sales for that day. Job overall can be stressful dealing with rude customers who think they are entitled to talk down to you because they are buying a 50 dollar bottle of wine. No room for promotions.
Pros
Holiday dinners and lunches
Cons
pay, hours, work load
A bit hectic at times
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kendall, FLFebruary 6, 2018
It can be a little overwhelming at times if you are not use to working in a high paced job such as Total Wine and More. We deal with a lot of customers who ask for strategic things that sometimes can and cannot be found in the store. It takes patience and time working there.
nice place to work but management was difficult
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 4, 2018
After awhile it started to get very hard and the management was not willing to listen to any complaints that we had. Some of the customers were hard to please and others were very friendly.
Pros
getting away from the register
Cons
30 minute lunch
An aggressive work atmosphere, with engagement activities
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FLFebruary 1, 2018
The work ethic on the sales floor is very aggressive. Wine and spirits sales associates are continuously educated on all aspects of wine, beer, and spirits. We make efforts to consciously engaged all associates through our " engagement calendar " bringing fun to the work environment while increasing morale and productivity.

At Total Wine, striving for excellence is always encouraged. We have morning huddles that review the previous days sales, go over an corporate messages for the day, ask for feedback from all employees that morning, and conclude with a drive to bring sales to the expected goals for the day. The morning huddles are a reminder that we stand apart from other wine, spirits, and beer retailers. We offer education to customer. Our intentions are to broaden their horizons while introducing them to new styles and varieties, educating them along the way!!!!
Pros
Wine for life..as long as your employed, you receive a case a month
Cons
Pay is low for the job requirements, few advancement opportunities
fun, relaxed environment
would rather not say (Current Employee) –  would rather not sayJanuary 30, 2018
a typical day started out with clocking in, looking in the playbook to see where you would be working, then counting the till, balancing it out, helping customers and working with co workers sometimes. The hardest part of the job was when there's more customer's than employee's and can get overwhelming. It's a fun relaxed work environment, perfect for a student, retired or a stay at home parent.
Pros
free lunches on busy days, discounts on wine 30%, 10% beer singles and spirits direct (house brands)
Cons
one unpaid 30 minute break, no paid sick time, standing all day, working weekends, nights and holidays
extras meeting new people, games, prizes,
FETM (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2018
This is an amzing company, Family owned and locally owned.You are treated like family. you are trained, challenged. They encourage you to advance. They promote within, they spend alot of money on their employees, training, at times food , water and candy.. Oppertunities to win prizes and they offer a clean and safe enviroment to work.
Pros
contests- meals, water, candy
Great place to learn about wine & sprits
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAJanuary 28, 2018
I love the fast past environment and the beauty of working in a new store and launching a great kick off to the new start of the Folsom store it was a blast
Great Education on Wine & Spirits. Sales experience in person.
Wine Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 23, 2018
You get a Great Education on Wine & Spirits. Sales experience in person. Great culture and Management team. The only problem was the extremely low pay.
Pros
Education on wine & spirits and beer and face to face sales
Cons
low salary, retail hours, long shifts, work holidays
It was an okay workplace.
Cashier / Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJanuary 23, 2018
A typical day at work was either being hectic or very slow. Usually it was nice and busy up at the front with the registers. If I was out on the floor, I was packing out or helping people find product. Managers are... okay, at best.
Pros
30% off of wine, 10% off of spirits and beer singles.
Cons
Not being able to move up
An Okay PT job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  River Edge, NJJanuary 22, 2018
I did really enjoy working here, I stayed almost 6 years.
The best part was learning about wine, beer and spirits.
I liked my fellow employees, but management left something to be desired.
Pros
learning about the wine culture
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.