Stanford University Employee Reviews for Administrative Associate

Good and not-so-good
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 16, 2018
Overall Stanford is a decent place to work, depending on what you want in a job/career. As with most companies, the department where you work, and whom you work with, are key factors. My most recent position at Stanford was in a small office that was part of a bigger department. Other than meetings, I felt isolated. My manager was fine in terms of having an open-door policy and being easy to talk to, but I concluded that I wouldn't get a chance to learn anything beyond what I had been doing. There is definitely a lot of "office politics" in certain departments. The campus itself is stunning; I never got tired of seeing it. If you want to work with the latest technology, however, Stanford is probably not the place for you. The bureaucracy can be frustrating; things that seem relatively easy to accomplish take longer than they should.
Pros
Free CalTrain pass, 403(B) plan
Cons
Health insurance is kind of expensive
Fun and Supportive Environment
Administrative Associate II (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJuly 13, 2018
Fun and supportive place to work. Not efficient with growth opportunities, depending on the department. Positive environment for longevity. Some policies and procedures are confusing as they seem to be open for interpretation. Loved my colleagues.
Pros
Group activites, Employee appreciation events, friendly staff, health coverage/benefits
Cons
professional mobility, compensation
Great place to work!
Administrative Associate II (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 11, 2018
A great place to work where excellent benefits are provided. Friendly, helpful co-workers. Positive environment. They are also very caring and helpful when it comes to the BeWell program.
Pros
Daycare grants, BeWell program, Incentives, transportation for commuters, work from home
Cons
Busy, stressful days
Great Productive and friendly enviornment
Academic Admin Associate III (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 14, 2018
Stanford is a wonderful company to work for. It is a huge organization with great benefits and perks. The commute is rough if you live in the North side, but the people and environment are awesome! Lots of resources for growth.
Pros
free stanford gym if you a university employee
Cons
does not allow telecomute
amazing
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMay 18, 2018
amazing place to work. The campus is huge but beautiful.
it can be a bit hectic if you are not use to it but well worth it. very nice enviroment as well to work for
Very bureaucratic and not suited to all personality types
Administrative Associate (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 21, 2018
This position is not a standard executive admin role. It should almost be called a financial analyst type role. I knew about one week into the job that it did not suit my skills nor personality. VERY heavy, detailed expense reporting using proprietary software which takes several hours to master.
The people were nice, but the job was just not for me!
Pros
Variety of good eating places on campus, the staff, the campus grounds are lovely
Cons
The duties!
Great place to work because of the salary and benefits.
Administrative Associate III (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 18, 2018
Working at Stanford University in the Office of the Vice Provost for University Budgets and Auxiliaries Management was great fun. The position allowed for some flexibility and room to grow. Workplace was very congenial and productive.
Pros
Large work force
Cons
Distance from where I lived at the time.
productive workplace with a diverse company culture
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJuly 18, 2017
overall fun work environment but inept management drags the employees down and keeps them from performing to the greatest extent possible. talented workers are kept from advancing by archaic rules limiting their job duties.
Pros
great benefits, flexible schedule
Cons
difficult management
Excellent place to work
Clerkship Coordinator/ Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 12, 2017
Stanford University is an excellent prlace to work. I learned a lot and was promoted to an position with more responsibility during my time there. I had a great time working with students, staff and faculty.
Pros
Learning opportunites & advancement opportunites
Cons
Laid-off
Arrogant People Work Here
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 23, 2017
Stanford overall is a great place to work because of good benefits, but you have to get in with the right group/team, otherwise you'll be miserable, as there are a lot of pretentious people working here. Seems as if they all were born with a bottle of grey poupon in one hand and a gold spoon in the other.
Pros
great benefits, free classes
Cons
Poor management
Fun work environment.
Administrative Project Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAFebruary 17, 2017
I really enjoyed working on campus because you were able to be involved with alot of the new futuristic ideas that were evolving in the silicon valley.
Great job stability, paycheck and benefits. Not so great for growth in career.
Administrative Associate III (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 6, 2017
Overall, Stanford is a great place to work as far as stability and a steady paycheck, not to mention the wonderful benefits the University offers to staff. From experience in two positions at Stanford, growth and advancement was not offered to me in two different departments. Speaking with others throughout campus, it appears that this is somewhat accepted as the 'culture' for certain positions at Stanford.

My co-workers were all in all a great group of people. Most of them are close friends now.
Pros
Great benefits, fantastic work/life balance, steady paycheck
Cons
no room for advacement, growth is hard to come by
Good place to work.
Administrative Associate II (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 9, 2016
Great place to work. Friendly atmosphere. Beautiful lush surroundings. Free passes to bus and train.Hardest part of my job is my commute.
Pros
monthly free lunch
Executive Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  MENLO PARK CASeptember 22, 2016
Enjoyable envireoment. Learning room to grow in a comapny to suceed. Training provided. Productive. Enjoyable temporary job I had
The Stanford Community was amazing!
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAApril 24, 2016
I can't recommend this University enough for potential job hunters. You can't beat their benefits and salaries when it comes to working in academia. The work culture was fantastic and truly loved being a part of the community.
Pros
Benefits, Salary, Work/Life Balance
great place to work
administrative associate (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CANovember 12, 2015
great place to work but need to personally focus on grow and develop with in department not outside people.but overall a great people you work with.
Learning while being productive
Administrative Associate, Department of Pediatrics (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 11, 2015
My day in he Division of Pediatrics, Neonatology consist of provided administrative support to physicians and faculty members in Neonatal Division,handled all administrative tasks including travel arrangements, processing maintenance orders, and preparing and maintaining conference rooms for office-wide meetings and events.
Created, edited, and proofread documents ensuring accuracy, which included articles, invoices and presentations.Managed all office correspondence including answering phones, creating and maintaining filing systems, managing emails and office memos, and performing database entry. Managed financial and inventory control for the office, including monitoring office and lab supplies, and processing purchase orders and staff reimbursements. Arranged and set up meetings in the Lucille Packard and Stanford Hospitals. Stanford is a teaching school and in the Division of Neonatology there where different physicians working on different projects. For example, one of my doctors I supported (Dr. Vinny Bhutani) was working on a study with Jaundice at the time I had a new baby so a lot of the findings related to my new situation. I really enjoyed working for the 16 doctors I supported. The hardest part of this position was the constant change in office management. This was difficult because the new management did not understand the work I was doing or that the physician ask of me and I had to always explain.
Pros
Learning experience and great benefits
Cons
Change in Management
Exciting workplace full of eager, hard working scientists
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  School of MedicineJanuary 8, 2015
Typical day at work was filled with travel arrangements for Faculty member, correspondence, ordering supplies, admin support to laboratory staff, calendaring, meeting & event coordination, purchasing and related reimbursements.
The most enjoyable part of my job was constant interaction with smart people, very young and eager scientists, full of energy and great ideas.
Pros
University's annual financial contribution towards various courses
Cons
lengthy process for implementation of new ideas at the workplace
great work/life balance
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAApril 14, 2014
depends on your department and supervisors, as always, but generally a great environment! get $$ for taking the bus/biking, many staff/university events, beautiful campus
Stable employment, nice place to work, management does not seem to support advancement.
Financial and Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAApril 7, 2014