Stanford University Employee Reviews

Variety of collaboration
Research nurse II (Current Employee) –  800 welch roadSeptember 22, 2018
Checking in with patients initiates collaboration with study team (PIs and study coordinators), pharmacy, and clinical/research lab for smooth my nursing care. I normally have 4-5 patients on my 10 hours shifts with at least two infusions for my assignment. Managing my priority and providing best patient care to improve nursing quality, clinical outcomes, patient and study team satisfactory have rooted in my heart, and patients and study team recognition has been my best rewarding for my every busy work day.

Challengers occur every day when we are short of staff with busy schedule, but it turns out close bonding when accomplishment a busy complicated clinical day. Team work and teaching our new staff to grow is continuously demanding but rewarding.
Excellent tranning
Fellow (Former Employee) –  Red Wood City and Stanford HospitalSeptember 22, 2018
One of the best place to get pain management training. I like the ''everything under one roof'' environment, including interventional pain management, PT, pain psychology, et al, a truly multidisciplinary pain management.
Stanford University
Postdoctoral Scholar, Dept. of Urology (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CA 94305September 21, 2018
It is a place learn and achieve. There are lots of smart people who have done well in the research arena. So if you are curious, want to do good work and learn a lot then there are lots of resources available at your disposal.
Professional and Structured workplace
Finance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 21, 2018
Overall experience was exactly what I expected. Professional, diverse environment, and room for growth. The consistency of the staff was also exceptionally attentive to our departments needs.
RA experience
Research Assistant, Department of Sociology (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 18, 2018
• Investigated the mobility and inter-organizational relationships of the Chinese bureaucracy
• Applied statistical models and parsed large social network datasets to extrapolate patterns of career movement among different government offices using R
• Designed and implemented algorithms to calculate and visualize social network structures and dynamics
Cutthroat
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 13, 2018
You don't mean jack unless you know somebody or have been there for 5+ years. Everyone treats you like you're easily replaceable. Unfortunately everything runs downhill.
Well managed and fun place to collabort
Assistant Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 11, 2018
I loved working at Stanford. Most days were very busy. I have learned so much in these three month. For example, how Stanford financial system works where money comes from, which organization gets the most funds. If one organization runs out of funds where can they get more. what does different PTA mean. It well managed business. I love the culture of Stanford it is very collaborative. The hardest part of my job was chasing students to get all the documents together to reconcile the end of month financial statements. Most enjoyable part was that working with people who been there for ten, fifteen and thirty years. If I didn't understand any thing they helped me out and explained how Stanford system works. I loved working at Stanford Law School. Would love to work with those amazing people again.
Stanford
Undergraduate Housing Building Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 10, 2018
Great work life balance, beautiful campus, surrounded by positive and intelligent colleagues. Working with students allows for new and exciting challenges.
Long time ago
Intern (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 7, 2018
I had an internship experience at the university five years ago, and it is not a very vague memory to me. Friendly environment although with little management.
Wants to be flexible/progressive and isn't
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Stanford UniversitySeptember 6, 2018
A lot of ideas are touted at Stanford (flexible schedules, ability to telecommute to name a few) but your access to these arrangements is entirely dependent on your manager. If you get a conservative manager, you won't get any of these benefits. Stanford should find a way to make sure that these types of things are offered to the entire workforce and that their management can't interpret the rules as they see fit.
Pros
Backup care benefit, tuition reimbursement, yearly funds for training
Cons
Decentralized, if you get a bad manager, you will be a bit stuck.
Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 30, 2018
Love Stanford University. Great benefits and room for advancements . They always have fun events to attend , not sure about other departments but mine the management allowed us to attend during work hours
Working at Stanford
Designer (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 30, 2018
A great place to learn new skills and advance professionally. Much support for professional growth, teamwork, and reaching out across the university to make connections.
Stanford University is not only beautiful, but cutting-edge
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 30, 2018
Stanford University is not only a beautiful and friendly atmosphere to work in, the researchers, faculty and staff are among the best people to work with and for.
Stanford a great place to work
Director (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 29, 2018
Stanford is a great place to work. It offers a work-life balance, flexible hours, remote work, and excellent benefits. It offers tuition reimbursement for children.
Pros
Excellent benefits, tuition reimbursements
Wary of your choice
IT (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 27, 2018
It's easy to get pigeon held here. They do not often promote from within and get too comfortable with where you are positioned. Seen too many people come here for several years not move up and instead move on. However, the work environment is very comfortable. Management will provide training and can be very supportive of that. Still do not expect to move anywhere as you can get all that training and watch the position you want be filled by an outside contractor.

The new CIO is great and is against these models but has to put Stanford through a culture change before that is possible.

In short do not consider this for long term unless you are coming in with a position you are happy to retire in. In that case once you join Stanford they will take care of you.
Pros
Good benefits, good working environment, training opportunities
Cons
Low pay, Pigeon holds.
Love the job, can’t live anywhere near it
Faculty Support Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 22, 2018
Stanford does a very good job of taking care of its staff and faculty. One thing that they don’t have much control over is the cost of living in the area. It’s almost 2k for a room near Stanford, and you are looking at over an hour each way of commute for anything cheaper. Makes it really hard to stay here.
Pros
Networking, discounts, free train pass
Cons
Long commute, expensive housing, can’t work from home
Productive and fun
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 21, 2018
Vastly interesting with high variety. Great autonomy and job development and learning possibilities. Management is great and good and helping employees develop career.
very good work experience
Back Office Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 21, 2018
loved working at Stanford
Great learning and work experience
loved working with the Residents and the other Physicians
the overall environment was great
Respectful Hospital
Medical Records / Birth Recorder (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 17, 2018
I used to drive over 40 minutes to get to Stanford University Medical Center but it was worth the drive. I loved woking around positive people and learning new things.
The core characteristics of an institution in higher education must be considered when considering an employment opportunity in this industry.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 14, 2018
Experiences vary within this organization due to the sub-cultures that exist within each of the schools. Moving around the organization is desired by those who want to have access to new technology and gain new experiences. Employees have to own the process of managing their careers and seeking opportunities for development.
Pros
Benefits plans (outside of tuition assistance for those with children in college)
Cons
Limited resources, difficulty to implement change, multiple systems used inconsistently throughout the organization, schools/departments have varied access to technology, common to find duplicated efforts, lack of communication between internal groups and organizations