Stanford University Employee Reviews

Great!
Co-President - InSITE Fellowship (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 22, 2017
Would definitely recommend. Great culture, great people and great opportunities here in this area. The hardest part is definitely being around all these amazing people but it is great.
Great culture and environment
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 21, 2017
Smart people, interesting work, and great work-life balance. The future is being developed here. Love the college atmosphere. Tons of opportunity to learn and have fun.
Pros
access to resources: Library, athletic facilities, speakers, concerts, learning.
Cons
pay is lower than industry in the Bay Area
Extremely productive workplace with some fun activites
Visiting Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 20, 2017
The workplace culture is very competitive yet there are lots of opportunities for social interaction with colleagues. The environment is extremely inspiring and rewarding.
Productive and innovative workplace
Visiting Scholar (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 9, 2017
It is a productive and innovation place to work. You will meet a lot of smart and energetic people to talk and discuss. Also, there are many events and activities happening almost every day.
Finance Analyst 2 (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 8, 2017
- Employee first attitude
- Great place to learn different skills
- Many intelligent coworkers that usually have a good personality
- Great benefits, especially 401k and vacation
Great Management, Hit-or-Miss Leadership
Academic Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 3, 2017
I had three of the best managers I've ever worked with at Stanford. Not the very best, but among the best.

In my unit, there was a culture of continuous improvement: let's do what we did before--but better.

When I was there, however, leadership consistently made the wrong bet (put money or effort into something that ultimately didn't work) or simply couldn't make a decision.
Pros
great colleagues, lovely campus
Cons
expensive area to live in, or a long commute
Casual and temp employees don't feel the love
Biometric Health Screener (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAOctober 2, 2017
Although I was required to have a bachelor's degree and some form of experience for the job, it was pretty loose. The role I had was to directly serve the over entitled benefitted employees and in doing so they earned a cash payment of $300+. My hours varied by the season and were paid an hourly rate of $20. After parking and taxes it's about $13/hr. It was stressed to all of us working in this program that the employee treatment was to be exceptional and comment cards bore the evidence. The program was not officially funded so the workers on the hourly side had no assurance of employment. However employees on another side were fully Stanford benefitted. I saw classic class politics at play and decided all in all it wasn't working for me.
Pros
Good for resume
Cons
Hourly workers not earning enough
UAV Piloting
UAV Pilot (PT) (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 30, 2017
Piloting unmanned aircraft for Stanford students to achieve their thesis in GPS and UAV technology. Recommending solutions to everyday problems that requires radio control modeling experience.
Pros
Being apart of the success of 4 students which achieved their PHD's
Cons
None.
Great place to work and lean on new research techniques and technology. Highly competitive and fast pace environment.
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 27, 2017
Great place to work and lean on new research techniques and technology. Highly competitive, fast pace environment and easy to collaborate with highly experienced scientists.
this is a review summary
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  StanfordSeptember 18, 2017
the place to work was a place to work this is interesting particularly in light if the semantic contact at symantex. I like goretex and gorp and gorillas and gangrene killed a character in a hemmingway story i believe. Was it snows of kilimanjaro?
Excellent place for collaboration and experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 16, 2017
I was a research associate helping a PhD student with her research. I worked with her and 5 or 6 other research associates. We performed literature reviews, designed experiments, wrote those experiments into Qualtrics, coded data, and processed the results.
Good job, horrid commute
Community Relations Officer (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 15, 2017
Working at Stanford was a prospect I relished, however once in the job I quickly learned the commute (1.5 - 2.0 hours each way on average) was too much for me to handle.

I highly recommend Stanford as an employer, however I also recommend thinking it over very closely if you do not live within 10 miles or so from the job site as both driving and taking transit can be a MAJOR undertaking.
Pros
Work atmosphere, coworkers, benefits and pay.
Cons
Challenging commute.
Community Manager for ResEd
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 14, 2017
I was a community manager for the house I lived at, a position only available for students. It was a great job that had its own set of stresses, but those mostly came from self-inflicted pressure to do a good job for the community I was part of.
Student Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 13, 2017
Good company to work for, great benefits and atmosphere. Parking is tough but overall it is a great place to be. Campus is very nice and so are the people.
Cons
parking can be tough
Productive and meaningful workplace
Title IX Hearing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 13, 2017
Stanford is dedicated to employees and students. I love the work I do here! Title IX is on the cusp at the moment. I like being part of creating the process and procedures for our students!
Pros
My manager
Cons
Job growth
Excellent place of employment
Help Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 11, 2017
My work at Stanford University spanned over a 30 year period. My advancements in 5 positions throughout those years only got better each time I moved on. The culture, diversity, and student life was exhilarating and educational. Stanford U. offers *many* opportunities for a rich and fulfilling career. I can not say enough great things about this place of employment.
Pros
Benefits, opportunities, life-long career.
Cons
Parking.
Nice to work
Lead Developer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 8, 2017
Nice place to work
Get more chance to learn new technology again depends on Manager you worked with
Work Professional
Played with more data and got change to work with business users
R&DE IT is not the place work
Sr. User Systems Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 6, 2017
Stanford as a whole is a great place, however there are certain groups to stay away from R&DE is one of them. Hands down this was the worst working experience in my career, very unprofessional group of people in IT and very cut throat. Everything you do is scrutinized. Avoid this group at all costs.
Pros
Pay, Benetifts, Time Off, Huge discount on Dining halls
Cons
Unprofessional cut throat staff in IT
Stanford
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CASeptember 5, 2017
Position too manual and administrative. Not very collaborative. My team is very siloed, and management does not know job duties. They expect more than what can be delivered
Pros
Great organization
Cons
Administrative
Great Place to work.
EXECUTIVE ADMINSTATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 4, 2017
Great environment that promotes learning and advancement with great benefits. Stanford can be a complex environment and there is a lot to learn. Candidate should be willing to invest time on learning resources.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Lots to learn