Stanford University Employee Reviews

Great people and environment but...
Life Science Research Professional (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 13, 2018
I love working at Stanford however my job requires me to be in the lab every single day. It would be close to perfect if I had a day off. My only time off is when I actually take time off, which is hard to do in my lab.
Benefits
Cons
Work every day
Great work space
Recreation Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 9, 2018
Very easy to handle, very good work environment, good clients and members. You meet a lot of different higher level position people and none of them are condescending
Secure and Calm Work Environment
Director of Operations, SCOPE (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 6, 2018
Working for Stanford comes with many benefits, the most notable of which is the work-life balance afforded to most of its employees as well as the security that comes along with a higher education position.
Pros
Work-life balance, Insurance benefits, security
Great summer work
Residential Director (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 3, 2018
My job was to oversee the summer high school programs. It was fast-paced and long hours, but when you are just working for the summer, totally feasible. The management was superb. They were super organized and creative, but also knew how to get down to business.
Pros
location, staff
Cons
not much time off
Inertia to change
Clinical Trials Research Process Manager (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 2, 2018
This particular department was not very open to change. Strong sense of heirarchy, which could be sometimes counter productive.

Very helpful and supportive co-workers.
Great Place
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJanuary 1, 2018
Stanford is an exceptional place to work with a great work/life balance. It is a great culture with plenty of resources available at one of the world's premiere institutions.
Stanford University
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 28, 2017
Offers a wide range of student-friendly or part time positions. Pay was higher than minimum wage in my experience. It is a lively community of undergraduate and graduate students.
Mileage may vary
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 19, 2017
Great benefits and access to all resources. It obviously varies depending on your specific position. In general Stanford is one of the best academic institutions.
Excellent training experience
Surgical pathology fellow (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 18, 2017
Best place to get pathology training. Large volume of in house cases and numerous challenging consult cases. Expert in the field for teaching and education. A very supportive environment.
Great environment
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 17, 2017
Stanford was a great place to start as a banquet server because of the team willing to help others and making sure that all tasks are understood. Stanford is also very understanding
Pros
Environment
Cons
Limited fulltime positions
An incredibly professional environment.
Guest Research Consultant (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 14, 2017
I cannot disclose much, due to NDA, but that's probably the only negative thing about working at, with, and for Stanford and it's faculty. The environment, resources, and faculty are top-notch.
Fun Environment
Recreation Services (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 11, 2017
Fun environment but difficult to advance. Lot's of social interaction, learned a lot about customer service. Pay Rate for part-time is excellent but hard to move from part-time to full-time if you don't have a master's degree.
Hard to do better if you're gonna work for a school.
Art Media Technologist, Dept. of Art (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 9, 2017
Worked at Stanford the entire time I lived in the Bay Area. It helped that my department was great, but you'd have to be a serious grouch not to be able to appreciate how well Stanford takes care of its employees. And it's a ludicrously beautiful campus. It's a big place and institutional knowledge takes a while to acquire. But people stay here a long time and it's because it's hard to do better out there.
Pros
Good benefits, Good pay for a university, You'll be surrounded by smart people who care about what they do.
Cons
Sometimes difficult to navigate cross-departmental conversations.
Excellent working environment
Finance Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 5, 2017
Everyone is proud to work at Stanford University. People with diversified culture background and different religions, treat each other with respect. Tremendous career advancement opportunities.
Center of Excellence
Staff Nurse, Neuro/Trauma/Medical Surgical ICU (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 4, 2017
Stanford Hospital opened the door for me to gain knowledge and receive training in the are of trauma nursing. It is also a center for nursing excellence and has been awarded Magnet status
Pros
Excellent Place for Learning
Cons
Management not always supportive
Excellent place with lots of interesting people to work with and learn from...
Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CADecember 4, 2017
It was a very rewarding experience due to being given such important responsibilities of auditing all patient complaints. I worked with managers and patient reps to better feedback input data as well as worked with IT department to build internal interfaces for different software database platforms. Management was very supportive and helpful. Hardest part of the job was managing the expectations of others while most enjoyable was accomplishments in the same area. Coaching and educating the staff was really rewarding.
Pros
quite office, flexibility with hours.
Cons
older facility lacked privacy and office environment.
undervalued employees
Family Partner (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 1, 2017
really nice people though can seem competitive this place has a great mission being strength based although the value many people desire working long hours is void.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
breaks and lunches are often non existence due to the busy climate
Great supervisor
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 29, 2017
I had a short term contract position with Stanford. My supervisor is the best one I have every worked for. I have learned so much from her within a very short time period.
Pros
Workload there was very heavy, It required to adjust calendar conflicts constantly.
Cons
Great Supervisor
I was able to advance my career in the 11 years I worked there.
Assistant Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 22, 2017
I worked as an Construction Project Manager for the University. I was able to advance and learn in my position. I enjoyed my position and worked hard at it.
Pros
Learned a lot and advanced
Cons
No control over work load..
Fun place to work, but not able to compete with market
Senior Student Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  On CampusNovember 19, 2017
Stanford is a great place to work if you don't mind living far away because you can't afford to live nearby. The benefits and perks are pretty good, but the pay can't compete with the private marketplace.