Stanford University Employee Reviews

Liked the Work and People, But Horrible Boss
Communications Director (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 19, 2018
I had a high-pressure job reporting to a manager who behaved one way in public (and to those of equal or higher rank) and another way to me in our weekly closed-door meetings. This manager was a moving target, highly critical (and hypocritical), disparaging, refused every year to participate in my goal setting, and was feared by colleagues in our large unit because of his/her position and access to executive management. I had very positive experiences with colleagues across campus, but unfortunately, this person's ineptitude led to my exit. It was the most traumatizing work experience to date.
Pros
Stimulating environment, opportunities for meaningful contributions
Cons
Elitist attitudes can trickle down staff ranks, not much time to take advantage of a multitude of wellness incentives.
stagiaire vente vetements
Vendeur stagiaire (Former Employee) –  Saint-Gratien (95)May 16, 2018
réassort rayon, vente , encaissement, ménage , commande
Pros
formation
It's Stanford
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 14, 2018
Stanford is a wonderful place filled with amazing people. People at Stanford tend to be the brightest in their fields, and thankfully the community is mostly welcoming and engaging.
A good place to work - institution has stability.
Financial Management Analyst & Administrator (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMay 12, 2018
There are always challenges at Stanford University. It is a workplace for those determined to work hard and conscientiously. There are rewards for hard work, like promotion to steps higher.

In my experience, management has been mindful of good performance and allows a good worker to attain further use and development of skills and talent.

Again, in my experience, the hardest part of the job was working on several projects with equally demanding deadlines. This is one example of the challenges I mentioned.
Pros
Merit increases
Cons
For exempt, no pay for overtime - just time off which is hard to have when work is heavy.
N/a
Intramural Referee (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMay 4, 2018
Very un-stressful job. Co workers were a combination of students and non-students. Management communicated effectively. Unfortunately had to leave due to needs of more hours.
Stanford has unique culture
Senior IT Auditor (Current Employee) –  616 Serra StApril 29, 2018
1. People wish to see deliverables will not strive in this auditing department.

2. Management has a very small domin.Hence, it is tough to get things done if the project is cross the multiple functions.

3. People are very interested in power struggling and political game, same as the government.

4. This is a perfect place to practice and improve your diplomacy.
Pros
Stanford has robust process for almost everything. Benefits are fair.
Cons
Employees are not enouraged to have own perspective.
An amazing place that is challenging
Program Associate, Residential Education (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 29, 2018
Working in Residential Education is an amazing experience. The work and direction of the department is always evolving to fit the needs of the student population.
It was horrible
Program Coordinator/Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 27, 2018
I hated my life over there. I resigned and never wants to go back to the school of medicine. It is very stressful culture. The management do not know what they are doing
Favouritism
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 22, 2018
If you know how to look after your manager go and work for Stanford. A lot of favouritism.
As long as you know someone m, you have a chance to get a job at Stanford.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Favouritism everywhere
what i have learned
Checker (Current Employee) –  East Palo Alto, CAApril 22, 2018
I have a few responsibilities that i'm responsible for and i don't mind doing it and it's not as hard as i thought it was. it's kind a easier but it's kind a hard to standing in one place during all that but i power like a champ.
Pros
opportunity to responsibilities
Cons
hard time standing in one place
Exciting projects
Machine Learning Researcher (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 15, 2018
At Stanford University, I have had an opportunity to work with incredible people on exciting projects, to learn a lot and build bioinformatics expertise. Management takes care of people in the group and leads the group with their knowledge and experience.
Pros
Interesting proejct
Cons
No cons
nice pace
Residency & Fellowship Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 9, 2018
Culture is very scholarly environment that encourages collaboration not only within the department but also other departments. Great benefits for all and an overall great place to work
Awesome and Rleaxed place to work
SENIOR INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAApril 9, 2018
Really awesome place to work. Wonderful buildings, great lively campus, great food. Free travel and an open minded management. In and all its an awesome place to work.
Good
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAApril 1, 2018
It was nice to work for Stanford University I really wonderful experience I still have friends and family working for the company Pretty good benefits.
Pros
Everything was free food drinks
Cons
Over all everything more perfect
Stanford University
Creative Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 26, 2018
Stanford University is a great place to work and develop your professional career. The academic environment keeps things face paced and interesting. The employee benefits range from employer matched retirement plans, to BeWell incentives for healthy lifestyle choices.
Pros
stability, scheduling flexibility, great work environment, many employee benefits
Cons
traffic, career advancement
Summer job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 23, 2018
Worked for a Stanford employee: not for Stanford University itself. Was compensated generously and given fair hours and breaks as needed. No complaints on my end.
Work with professional software development team
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 21, 2018
In bay area Stanford University is not the best option if you have enough knowledge and experience. If you be a self motivate you can live with Stanford otherwise culture of Stanford doesn't encourage you to move forward and keep yourself up to date!
Too much interference from HR
Director, Sponsored Receivables Management (A/R) (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 19, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my position and manager however there was to much oversight and interloping by HR in my final year. It was obvious they and upper management had a plan to change the management of my Manager's department and thus mine. Which they have now done.
Pros
Great place to get ahead
Cons
Watch your back
Lack of Diversity
Project Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAMarch 19, 2018
Stanford lacks diversity of African Americans in leadership roles, there were a few in administrative roles but not executive management. The culture is not at all what I expected. I wouldn't want to work there until they changed.
Pros
Cons
Lack of diversity
Competitive and quick-space envionment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 16, 2018
Stanford is full of talented student, researcher, engineers and professors. Everything is in full speed mode. People do their job with full of passion and enthusiasm.
Pros
Innovative idea
Cons
fast-pace live