Stanford University Employee Reviews

The core characteristics of an institution in higher education must be considered when considering an employment opportunity in this industry.
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 14, 2018
Experiences vary within this organization due to the sub-cultures that exist within each of the schools. Moving around the organization is desired by those who want to have access to new technology and gain new experiences. Employees have to own the process of managing their careers and seeking opportunities for development.
Pros
Benefits plans (outside of tuition assistance for those with children in college)
Cons
Limited resources, difficulty to implement change, multiple systems used inconsistently throughout the organization, schools/departments have varied access to technology, common to find duplicated efforts, lack of communication between internal groups and organizations
I am a Volunteer, not a paid employee
Student Mentor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 10, 2018
I am a volunteer, not a paid employee
I do not work, I am a volunteer. Students from Stanford University call me or meet with me when I visit the campus and bring my daughter who is a student at Stanford.
Exciting place to work
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 2, 2018
Good Work/Life Balance. Challenging but inspirational environment. Infinite possibilities to learn from the very best in different fields. Recommended to people who like to work in academic settings.
Some great people
Director (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAAugust 2, 2018
Many high quality colleagues but often limited opportunities for professional growth and advancement. Inconsistent cultural norms depending on which unit you're in.
Great side hustle
Course Facilitator (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 1, 2018
Working as part of the SI&E team has been one of the most rewarding job experiences I have ever had. It is flexible, prioritizes education, and allows for a lot of learning and growth while prioritizing development.
Pros
flexible and possible with a full time job on top
Cons
not enough to support me alone
Slow Paced, Great Benefits
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 30, 2018
The hardest part of the job was being acknowledged for your hard work, management does not take the time to praise its employees. Otherwise, great place to work for with great benefits!
Stanford
Lead Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 30, 2018
Working for Stanford is a great opportunity I wish everyone could get a chance to be a part of. The environment is inspiring and the people I am surrounded by are some of the most educationally advanced in their fields. The only thing I found to be frustrating at times was the culture of the silicon valley which tends to be very work- focused and not so much life balance focused.
Pros
Full benefit coverage, caring management, strong relationships
Cons
commute traffic with little commuter benefits/ no public transportation benefits, no company perks
exellent
SYSTEMS ANALYST, DEPT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Menlo Park, CAJuly 25, 2018
Best place in the world to work. Worked with the best people and was able to keep up with the technology. Most enjoyable part of the job was going to work each day
Great place
BI Consultant (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTJuly 24, 2018
fantastic opportunity to exhibit my data visualization skills. All were open for recommendations People easy to get along with. Pay as great. great contract.
Pros
remote
Cons
too far to visit
Filled with smart, motivated people
Ph.D. Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 23, 2018
Generally a good place to work. The Biochemistry Department is a close-knit group where constructive criticism is the norm. While it can be harsh at times, it is all for the best.

Want to know more about Stanford University?

Ask a question
Volunteering
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 19, 2018
Lots of interesting complex work, creating code for projects.

Friendly, busy culture, with lots going on.

Hardest part of the job: dealing with new, difficult to understand concepts.
Working
Tech Operations (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 19, 2018
During my time, I would run various positions trying to learn all that I can. The producers were on top of everything going on and would continue to set the expectation high of what was to be done. This would be both a positive and a negative. Negatively only if you are new to the position in which case, you need to learn quick in order to stay in the loop.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Low chance of promotion
Competitive environment, extraordinary opportunities
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara County, CAJuly 18, 2018
While the culture at Stanford is highly competitive and can tend towards entitlement (especially among the undergraduates), the opportunities afforded by Stanford to reach beyond your immediate field and build interdisciplinary networks is unrivaled.
Stanford
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 17, 2018
I was at Stanford for 1 year at SLAC unit. I found that I did not have the work life balance I needed. The pay was low to average.
However, the benefits were good.
Benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Contribution to research and teaching that makes a difference
Business Manager/Senior Financial Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 16, 2018
Stanford University and SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory are amazing environments and I know I contribute to research and teaching that solve world problems. The other staff are intelligent, friendly and work well on teams.
Fun and Supportive Environment
Administrative Associate II (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAJuly 13, 2018
Fun and supportive place to work. Not efficient with growth opportunities, depending on the department. Positive environment for longevity. Some policies and procedures are confusing as they seem to be open for interpretation. Loved my colleagues.
Pros
Group activites, Employee appreciation events, friendly staff, health coverage/benefits
Cons
professional mobility, compensation
Workplace Culture
Clinical Research Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 11, 2018
A very collaborative, innovative, and congenial environment! This is a fantastic place to work, and I highly recommend the Stanford family to those seeking a stimulating environment.
Great place to work!
Administrative Associate II (Former Employee) –  Stanford, CAJuly 11, 2018
A great place to work where excellent benefits are provided. Friendly, helpful co-workers. Positive environment. They are also very caring and helpful when it comes to the BeWell program.
Pros
Daycare grants, BeWell program, Incentives, transportation for commuters, work from home
Cons
Busy, stressful days
Competetive salaries and lot's of opportunity
Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 25, 2018
Good benefits and ability to move around within the organization. The problem is that the hospital is trying to do more with less and has cut their staffing in all units leading to unsafe working situations at times. Overall a good place to work if you can afford the cost of living in the bay area.
Events Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Stanford, CAJune 18, 2018
Stanford is a great place to work and room for advancement. They also offer school tuition and health benefits. There is a lot of room for advancement and various jobs available.
Pros
Full-time, family oriented, health benefits
Cons
Too far if living in the central valley