Singapore Sports Council Employee Reviews

Sunny and rainy
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  SingaporeAugust 17, 2018
You have to enjoy the outdoor and water is just part of it. You need to get ready to get wet. Have to work overtime when someone get sick. Sacrifice any plans that you have made. Keep exercising to be fit. And always there is something to attend to upgrade yourself
Pros
Basically sit at your point and ensure safety
Cons
Hot and sometimes humid
Friendly, well-organized environment that facilitates the use of sports facilities.
Gym Assistant (Former Employee) –  SingaporeSeptember 6, 2016
A workplace that consistently keeps abreast of developing consumer needs and demands in terms of sports facilities provided (such as courses and equipment).
Fun workplace
Guest Officer (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Yio Chu KangNovember 18, 2015
Helped with customer's enquiries regarding the ActiveSG
promoted the app and made sure that they understood what they are doing and how to go about using the app.
Fun place to meet new Fitness Enthusiasts
Gym Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Yio Chu KangMarch 12, 2015
Learnt plenty of things about gym operations and how to deal with lots of theft cases and working with the police while at it. It taught me patience and made me more aware of my surroundings especially when the gym has many too users.
Pros
Free Air-conditioning
Cons
Not fully utilizing skills
Sporty Environment
Assistant Director, Corporate Strategy (Current Employee) –  SingaporeJanuary 9, 2014
We will plan, strategize and implement overall directives and policies to drive Council’s Corporate Image through identified strategic partners.
A good and valuable experience as a customer service
Guest Service Officer (Current Employee) –  SengkangFebruary 2, 2013
Basically,almost everyday,we handle bookings,payments,enquiries and paperwork.Since we are associated with sports,so usually we deal with a lot of fitness courses,facilities and events.I've learned alot during my past 4.5 years coming to 5 years of work with SSC such as being a course coordinator,helping the centre to achieve the target monthly for the courses,liasiong with customers internally such as our own staff ,instructors and also externally.The most enjoyable part is that everyday,we dealt with different kinds of customer from all walks of life and even if they make us angry and makes us feel demoralized by passing hurtful remarks,too me its just the norm and at the end of the day,it will just be another learning experience which is also a knowledge so that when the next time this kind of customer comes by,we know how to handle them.
Pros
free entry to the gym and pool facilities
Cons
long shift hours
A day at work
Part-Time Life Guard (Former Employee) –  Tampines, Bedok and Geylang EastDecember 16, 2012
There are three shifts in a day. The morning shift starts at 0800 and ends at 1430, the afternoon at 1430 and ends at 2130. The third shift, not normally used, is the one that starts at 1100 and ends at 1800 hours. As per normal, as anywhere you work, you clock in at the hour and knock off after you're done.

You learn about sports and safety, about what your responsibilities - primarily making sure that no one gets hurt and that stunts are verboten as well as introducing programs and swimming trainers to interested parties - to the customer.

My co-workers are from every level - or strata - of society and many double as swimming instructors to earn extra money. They share their experiences from their two decades (or more!) of working in SSC.

The hardest part of the job is oftentimes the customer. There are those who are of the anachronistic mindset that their being paying customers entitles them to do whatever they please. The other part is that, being a part-timer, your job security is rather shaky and the benefits nonexistent.

But on the bright side, you meet plenty of people and can decide which facility you can work at. And your co-workers will persuade and encourage you to be part of the company for the long-term.
Pros
you get to work where you choose. the pt pay rate is better than it was two years ago.
Cons
benefits are lacking when you're a part-timer.