Republic Services Employee Reviews

Featured review
Republic Services selected this as a representative review
Great work place
Sales Coordinator, Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VADecember 2, 2017
Excellent place to work at. They care for their employees and make sure that you are happy in the environment. They literally become your family and want you to succeed
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Flexibility
Decent job when no other option is around (Temp agency)
Recycling Sorter (Former Employee) –  Haltom City, TXJune 16, 2018
Keep in mind this review is from someone who was working via the employment of a temp agency, which I do not recall the name of. This job was also worked a significant time ago, and due to the temp agency, I was provided with no benefits whatsoever.

The job itself was extremely fast-paced, requiring at least 30 picks a minute to be done on the job when able, with mandatory safety equipment provided by the agency such as gloves, glasses, reflective vest, sleeves, and helmet. However, at times it can be stressful, especially if you are trying to avoid a needle stick from the common needle or another hazard when your gloves ware away, which by the end of the week is a frequent occurrence as the provided gloves degrade to the point that the protective rubber matting is torn away to reveal either the fabric under it or entirely to an unguarded hand. These gloves were replaced every Monday, but you still had to worry about this when Friday came (Or Saturday, if you had to work then)

I frequently heard reports of understaffing in the job, and I can confirm that this is true, as the temp agency was guilty of being very picky about who they picked and often let all of the would-be newcomers go, despite protests from the other workers about the lack of staffing and the high population of open spaces in the sorting areas, especially that of the main conveyor belt. In fact, come to think of it... I was among 5 who were selected to be studied and trained to work, and I was the only one given a job... and more often then not, the entire wave of potential new workers was turned away.
  more... This understaffing issue also frequently led to us being forced to work on Saturdays, despite normally having off that day. (What determined if we worked or not that day was how much material we had and if it was threatening to spill out of the warehouse.

Ultimately, I decided to leave the job due to my college work being entirely blocked off by the issue of time in work. I have heard there were plans to build up from there with additional sorting belts, and it's been so long since I was there. So I do not know how much things have changed.
Pros
Free provided water, hires felons, minimal skill required, vending machines with lunches are present
Cons
Short breaks, long hours, heavy understaffing problem, lunch is unpaid, similar hourly pay to jobs with less effort and dexterity requirements
Hard work a lot of hours and great opportuinty.
Residential Driver (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCJune 14, 2018
I believe republic waste services gives employees a opportunity to make a decent wage to survive.

I would like to transfer to closer terminal to my house because it is a hour drive to work but the pay is okay.
Pros
When you get overtime it helps.
Cons
It is a hour drive to work. and someitmes our trucks break down cant control that.
Great Company but too Commercialized
Lead Driver / Swing Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2018
This is a great company to work for that has really good benefits. Unfortunately as the company grew their value of their employees decreased. I missed the old days where employees were seen as people and not disposable.
Not interested
Executive Administrative Assistant, Northeast Area (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAJune 14, 2018
Not interested in rating this company or its managers or a work day
I did not like it there and I would never recommend anyone to work there managers and employees not friendly
Awesome! place to work
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Revere, MAJune 11, 2018
I enjoy my job everyday......................................................love my managers and piers company is very supportive and helpful. no complaints at all company will help you succeed. The sales department is awesome to work as long as you do your job nobody will bother you....
Pros
Flexible hours sales are good
Worst place
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VAJune 10, 2018
Don't do it worst place to work you think think you have found the promise Land but that's all they do is promise and and come up with excuses to not fufill the promises they make
Residential Helper (Former Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLJune 10, 2018
There's really nothing to say about this company, besides that they are the biggest trash service company in the US. You can start as a helper and work your way up to supervisor, but that takes dedication and really hard work.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Horrible hours, hard work
Good place to work but stressful
Diesel Mechanic Technician (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 7, 2018
You can make a living at this place with benefits but it is stressful, hard work in inclimate weather, either very hot or very cold. Many hours and overtime. The work is hard and dirty but honest. Sometimes too much blame game.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
blame game, some people get away with just standing around
A heartless, backstabbing, greedy company that tried their best to get rid of me.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 5, 2018
This company was completely unfair in the fact that when I went to go get my heart surgery and go through recovery they did not compensate me whatsoever on the hand I was dealt. They never even considered calling me to see if their own employee was okay after the surgery.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Unfair, the hourly wage was too low, usually no breaks.
C Mechanic PM (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 4, 2018
Spent alot of years here. Was a good place to work, but time consuming. Very good shop, and equipment. Good training, and work advancement. Can easily spend many years here.
Good place to be jerked around
driver (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INJune 1, 2018
Will try to get you to do residential route no matter what you apply for. Unreasonable workloads and hours expected of you. Junk trucks, if they had any in working order.
Pros
Cons
unrealistic workloads, overworked, deceptive managers
Management does not understand the drivers' job
CDL Class B Trash Collector (Current Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORJune 1, 2018
Management is currently being held captive by the transfer station employees who have threatened to go Union, but have temporarily re sent their cards in order to get what they want.

Management lacks understanding of the day to day operations of the drivers.

The workloads for employees are incredibly biased and unequal.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
not equal
learning
mechanic B (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2018
Over period of 3 years had the privilege to learn in a field that continuously experience new issues most electrical.
Great people to work together as a team towards maintaining a fleet of over 150 trucks.
Enjoyable workplace
Operations Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 30, 2018
If you can get past the lack of training, it is a wonderful place to work. Very fast paced job. Management is not the greatest there. Lots of corporate structure.
Pros
You can transfer with in the company
Cons
lack of management leadership
Long Hours, Stressful
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 29, 2018
Long Hours and high stress job. Low moral at our division. Very demanding. Not much supporting help. Nobody to fill in when you take time off. You felt as if you could not leave early or take time off because the job would not get done.
Benefits
Cons
Stressful, not compensated the same for vacation, too demanding
Run while you can
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 29, 2018
I worked for this company and it was the worst experience I ever had . Management is very unorganized, unprofessional. I overheard a conversation regarding African Americans and braids and tattoos. I went to hr about what I heard and was advised it was a misunderstanding. On top of overworking and lack of advancement. I decided to quit and go to a company and make less pay but appreciated like any hard worker should . Don’t waste your time . The turn over rate is high because of lack of training and mangers . Nice pay but a waste of time!!!
Pros
Cons
Managers
Fast Paced Environment
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Los Banos, CAMay 28, 2018
1. A typical day at work is non stop
2. I have learned a lot
3. Mangement is good
4. Workplace culture is fun
5. The hardest part of the job is working in the heat
6. The most enjoyable part of the job is working on my own
Pros
On your own
Cons
Working in the heat
Fast Paced
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Kenmore, NYMay 28, 2018
Great place to work if you life a fast paced environment. Very relaxed atmosphere to the point of being able to listen to music on headphones while working. Once a month they have a free cookout for lunch involving hotdogs and hamburgers with a few sides.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Contract too short
Customer Relations Director (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 25, 2018
With only a few exceptions at this large company, the managers and employees were very fun to work with.

I built relationships with really hundreds of employees, including drivers and inside customer service representatives. Also, the team of managers, of which I belonged. Had dozens of good relationships with a large client base, as well.

Good culture for the most part. I learned how to lead and take responsibility under the tutelage of a couple of very strong area presidents.

I held several positions, so it is difficult to say how a typical day went.
Pros
Presidents and other superiors trained me, then allowed me to manage successfully
Cons
Only a couple of negative experiences with higher ups...for the most part a good career.
Run Forrest Gump...Run
Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 25, 2018
I felt like this is where my career went to die. You have to be in the 'click' to get advanced, otherwise you are a pawn for the management to play with for their amusement and political power. Your experience here will depend greatly by what your position is in this company and who you report to, but I wont risk it taking a job here in hope you win that lottery.
Pros
None but a paycheck
Cons
Cut throat, Favortism, long hours, lack of advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Republic Services. Our community is ready to answer.