Republic Services Employee Reviews

Corporate Office took the fun out of work
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 21, 2018
Local management did what they could. There was always someone above local management making the calls. The most enjoyable part of my job were the local team I worked with.
Pros
Great Drivers and helpers to work with
Cons
Equipment breaks down frequently
Fast pace
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 20, 2018
Constant work flow. Short breaks. Work times change from time to time without prior notice. Management is very one-sided and do not understand demand of job. Benefits are great and co workers are helpful.
No Job Security
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 19, 2018
After working 12 hour shifts and Saturdays. Company can not build a team between Operations and Maintenance always finger pointing. New Manager will let you go without a performance improvement plan even after your last 2 annual reviews stated you consistently exceeded expectations to get his friends in the door. They do not follow the coaching model after preaching about it.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Do not practice what they preach
Good Job
Sanitation Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, TXSeptember 19, 2018
Drove a sanitation truck on a assigned route to pick up customers trash and dispose of it at the landfill. Worked with little supervision and was able to run my route the best way I saw fit.
Na
Operations specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodburn, ORSeptember 18, 2018
Time to move on, 27 years with the company I feel I do not get the respect.
I do a lot of reporting and reconcile invoices that is the part I enjoy. They now have me work the front desk taking payments from customers a job for someone with a lot less skills that I have.
Pros
Cons
Na
liked it
Customer Resource Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 18, 2018
I liked working there it was a good job had a good supervisor and a good work enviorenment I would work there agan if given the chance but there customer service dept left houstn
worst company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNSeptember 18, 2018
I am surprised, I worked in eden prairie , mn location for 2 years , in the face of it you are valuable driver, after 2 years you are just a number , they can fire you anytime , bad management, I quit after 2 years , bad bad bad company to work for
Pros
chrismas tips
Cons
you are just a number for them
Excellent Company to Work For
National Accounts Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 18, 2018
The company likes to promote from within. Better paying positions will require a degree and time in rate. Starting pay in administration and operations is marginal but as noted there is opportunity for advancement. Could spend a little more money in employee engagement to build stronger intercompany relationships.
Management is great; They practice Safety First
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West Grove, PASeptember 17, 2018
Extremely busy in the call center. The phone rings from 8am to 5pm. You are rated on your Average Speed of Answer, Abandonment/dropped calls and 80% Service Level. The Fuel and Environmental fees are confusing to customers. One is constantly attempting to save accounts from cancelling due to quarterly rate increases. One must have the patience of Job to work in the Call Center.
Benefits
Cons
fast- paced, stressful
Decent place to work for
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, OHSeptember 17, 2018
Can be a good place to work for a driver. Good employee benefits, and a good union to work for.
Lots of hours to work, which can be good or bad depending on the situation.
Relaxed place to work with great pay.
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Great company. A typical day consisted of going up to the landfill from the break room and pushing trash for 4 hours then coming down for an hour lunch the going back up to push trash for another 6 hours. Then clocking out. Not much to it. Very easy job. Started not knowing anything as a spotter at 14/hr. then promoted to operator 17.85/hr after 1 year. If you're looking for a stable job with great benefits, Paid time off (3 weeks) up to 1 month after a couple years, getting paid 8 hrs for holidays when you don't go and if you work those holidays getting paid those 8 plus the hours you work count as overtime, and Managers and supervisors who put up with your BS then this is the job for you. I was always late and they never told me anything about it.
Pros
Pay and Benefits, Stable work
Cons
After a while it becomes boring.
Maintenance is the scapegoat
Fleet Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 14, 2018
Impossible standards, GM's micro manage maintenance. Republic fired 7 maintenance managers in 3 months in one region. Operations are never held accountable for breaking trucks. Maintenance managers only last 2 years at most because operations will find a reason to blame them and fire them to keep their own jobs. DO not go there for maintenance. They have a long history of not holding area managers accountable for their practice of firing every maintenance manager. Very bad company, stay away....
Pros
pay is adequate
Cons
short term employment
Just something to get used to.
Trash Chunker (Former Employee) –  Aledo, TXSeptember 14, 2018
I would have to say the hardest thing about being in the trash business is dealing with the weather because regardless if its raining, snowing or 110 degrees outside were out there. They do treat you well and make sure youre okay through the day.
Pros
pay
Cons
weather
Hard, nasty working conditions. Low appreciation for quality work
Mechanic/Tech (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCSeptember 12, 2018
Long hard hours. Trucks often go on routes with known safety issues. Average 10 or 11 hours a day. Often going up to and over 14hrs in a day. They are good about training though... You learn a lot about the equipment.
Pros
Closed on Sunday
Cons
Work most holidays AND mandatory Saturday after
Honest hard work
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXSeptember 12, 2018
i worked on a garbage truck and it is not for the feint of heart. lots of honest hard work and very labor intensive. the job involves early mornings and hard work all day. while its hard work its something to go home and feel proud of at the end of the day. as a civil servant you are treated with respect and admiration by the community and there is something truly special knowing you doing something for them
Pros
hard character building work
Cons
hard character building work
Goal Focused on numbers only
Resource Center Consultant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 12, 2018
This is a great money maker for someone just getting started. However, they bear down on the call center reps and keep changing the process making things harder on their front line, sales, & retention department. They hire managers that have no people skills and don't understand what we are going through on the phones but drive us to meet unrealistic metrics they desire. Hence less valuable client care can be provided because the reps are trying to keep there jobs so we have rush clients off the phone causing many mistakes and client call backs.
Pros
Pto, Medical, Double OT at times and they buy lunch a lot.
Cons
Poor management, unrealistic Metrics
Great community and support group
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 11, 2018
I started with the company as a driver and with my prior experience was moved into the sales department. It has been an experience fill with fun and new experiences.
Solid place to work
HR (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2018
One of the best managers I've had working in HR.The leadership team at RS are always so helpful and want you to succeed! I have met wonderful colleagues and look forward to learning and growing with the company!
Pros
Cons
Benefits after 90days, no tuition reimbursement options
bad attitudes, worse management, only care about money and not about the people who make it for them
Operator (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORSeptember 10, 2018
Management will friend you and as soon as your not benifiting them they will kick you to the curb like a piece of garbage part of their road side pickup
a typical day at work
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, ILSeptember 10, 2018
too many jobs piled on one person, I have 3 titles and the harder you work the more management throws on you. Republic has great benefits but the stress out weighs this. I cant even put all my job titles in the header here, I had to delete 2. Billing Coordinator, Scales house Clerk

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Republic Services. Our community is ready to answer.