Nanyang Technological University Employee Reviews

Nice place, poor management
Senior assistant manager/counsellor (Former Employee) –  UWCAugust 13, 2019
Pros:
- I like the physical environment of the place. The ergonomics of the workplace is good and conducive for staff and user.
- Culture still ok, able to find like minded colleagues who are helpful.
- Meaningful to work with students. Students are largely open and receptive.

Cons:

-I personally felt cheated into the organisation as what transpired during the interview wasn’t promised.
-Poor management/supervisors. Management not open to new approaches of doing things. Direct supervisor would sometimes insist their way of completing tasks, which is not innovative and efficient at all.
-Though they tried to make reparation, trust was already broken and breached.
-Resignation process and exit interview process doesn’t seemed to allow individuals to voice their honest feedback.
a place for learning
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  SingaporeJune 13, 2019
a good work-life balance here, and a comfort environment, a good place to learn new things.
a good place to do research with many opportunities.
The colleges are good also
Workplace culture
Temp Procurement Executive (Former Employee) –  PioneerMay 14, 2019
I have a reporting officer who is very nice to be with all the times. She taught me how to be a fast learner while working as I am still a fresh graduate. I learn many things in this position too.
Pros
Flexible Lunch
Cons
Siting arrangement
Poor management, stuck-up colleagues
Academics (Former Employee) –  Jurong EastMay 13, 2019
Taught at NTU, left, won't look back.

Cons:
1) Stuck-up colleagues: if you're not in his/her research group or in same level/rank as him/her, beware of receiving the looks side-ways or heads high up on you. On the other hand, the lower rank or the new ones, i.e. assistant profs and research staff members were quite nice and friendly. Those higher up profs, i.e. associate and full profs, OMG, are really showing stuck-up attitude, if you're less significant in the department. Even some of the admin staff are having stuck-up attitude. Most of the times, I just didn't want to be bothered about these stuck-up individuals.

2) If you're not a full-time staff, beware that you might be treated less important than the full-time staff. That means that you might get some services (salaries, IT support, etc.) late or even no responses. A colleague of mine (who is not a full-time staff) received the paychecks two months late; not one time, but a number of times.

3) Lousy/immature students who are mostly expecting their instructors to spoon feed them with solutions; no critical thinking skill at all. Majority still think in high school/junior college/poly years. You might think that such a highly reputable university would have a much % of smart students - think again. If you don't spoon feed them, beware that your end-of-semester feedback will be seriously affected, and ultimately department comes to you and your career are in the chopping block, as (the disappointing thing is that) the department seemed to only look at the negatives, not the positives from students' reviews;
  more... as though the department cares only about what the students say, not the instructors. Perhaps, the department wants to retain the enrollment status, so students are the "king". Of course, I'm referring to those below the assoc. profs rank, cuz the assoc/full profs are already "secured" in their jobs, regardless of the feedback. Truthfully (and with disappointment), from the times I taught at NTU, out of 100 students in a class, for example, only 10% of those 100 enrolled students were truly intelligent (with thinking skill) and fit (qualified) to be in such a highly reputable ranked university.

Pros:
The only good thing I've to say is that it is a highly ranked university. That translates to: it shows good on your resume.

Note: There are more cons than pros. Maybe it just happened to me, not to everyone. But that's my opinion about having taught at NTU.
Nice place to work
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Jurong WestApril 11, 2019
I came with an idea and NTU was willing to take me and try out my dream project with me!
However, there is little oversight on the pace of work, so there is little accountability.
The names are misleading. The food technology center does not know anything about the food-science that goes into preparing food.
Flexible and not stressful workplace
Learning Technologist (Former Employee) –  SingaporeFebruary 12, 2019
you can balance your life here and there are a lot of activities you can attend freely or with little cost. Also, you can conduct a new project from beginning to end if your boss agrees.
Pros
Flexible and not streeful
Cons
limited promotion
NTU is a great workplace
Research fellow (Former Employee) –  SingaporeDecember 30, 2018
I studied and worked in NTU, in a laboratory-based environment. The HR in NTU is great. The campus is beautiful. The laboratories are well-equipped with various facilities.
Easy and Friendly colleagues
Part-time, Administrative and Design Assistant (Former Employee) –  SingaporeOctober 28, 2018
- Free and easy working hours
- Problem solving in soft wares and technical issues
- Liable supervisor and friendly co-workers
- Cons: Problems happen frequently, must be attentive 100%
- Pros: Free license to access and update soft wares
Pros
Accessible to soft ware liscenes
Cons
Machine gets broke down easily
Job nature
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jurong WestOctober 10, 2018
It is a challenging job whereby you play a coordination role for an event.

This job has its peak and non-peak period whereby you may need to take care a few events simultaneously.

This job is also interesting as it allows you to meet and interact with people from various industries.
Pros
Understanding bosses
Cons
Many red-tapes and slow in salary increment
Excellent university
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  simulation labSeptember 13, 2018
Excellent university. Excellent campus. Excellent food,
Supportive work environment but limited exposure for students
Research Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  SIngaporeSeptember 12, 2018
- Good relationship between co-workers and supervisors
- Limited opportunities for progression or pathway for more permanent employment
- Limited exposure for student assistants
Productive and fun workplace
PHONATHON LEAD (Former Employee) –  NTUAugust 20, 2018
It was a good part time experience while I was still studying in NTU. I made a lot of friends over there. The management was mainly made out of students of my age group so it was not that stressful.
productive and challenging
Cyber Security Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  SingaporeAugust 6, 2018
several opportunities and projects are available
good work-life balance
conducive working environment
the facility is well provided
however rather far from most places
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  SingaporeJuly 24, 2018
Have to be competitive most of the time due to nature of the job.
Management structure is different from private sector since university handles in certain ways.
Good place to settle down for a long run
Programme Management Office/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  PioneerJuly 16, 2018
The promotion is slow but there is work life balance and job stability. School environment is definitely less bureaucratic and political than the corporate world.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Slow promotion
Good university with ample opportunities for growth
Senior Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Jurong WestJuly 12, 2018
Not-too-rigid work hours, nice campus, people from all over the world, and excellent infrastructure. There is pressure to deliver but manageable. Many opportunities to learn from peers and superiors.
Looking for better prospects
Assistant Executive (Current Employee) –  JurongJuly 10, 2018
I love what I am doing now but I am just looking if there are something better for me out there. The pay i get here is not enough, annual increment is also very little.
Routine and secure jobs
Higher Technical Executive (Former Employee) –  West, SingaporeJuly 10, 2018
Jobs were great and routine.

Basically it all technically and computerised.

Working with university students and research staff in the engineering environment.

Maintaining all the hardware and softwares of the computers and equipments.

Repairing and troubleshooting of all equipments and computers related problems.
Pros
Lots of free conferences and training to attain
Cons
very routine
Pro Work-Life Balance!
Research Assistant, Plant Physiology Laboratory (Former Employee) –  SingaporeJuly 8, 2018
An employer who believes in work-life balance - work hard, play hard! Also believes in the health of employees with time-off once a week for workouts!
Pros
Training & benefits
Cons
Distance/ location
A good experience
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  SingaporeJuly 5, 2018
The university is a good place to work, the atmosphere is nice and quiet, friendly environment with nice administration people. the life work balance is quite good