Lowe's Employee Reviews for Department Manager

Found 1,492 reviews matching the search See all 29,835 reviews
fun place to work
Department Manager- Tools (Former Employee) –  Brenham, TXDecember 9, 2018
very clickish so had to get in good with the managers. some people don’t do anything at all while the responsibility lies on a few good souls. be expected to work many departments
Pros
walking and talking
Cons
heel spurs
my boss was great we still see each other
DEPARTMENT MANAGER OF RECEIVING (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 8, 2018
The saw great potential in me, they complimented me and promoted me. Regard my feed back; treat me with respect me. Talk to not at me.lowes overall care about me
Pros
like i mention they really look out for as best could be
Cons
jealousy, paly apart in when you grow and they don't, will fine way to get you fired
Good management
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WADecember 5, 2018
Store manager was awesome and gave us freedom to help customers and make our department better. Wasn't a big fan of different rules passed down from corporate that didn't have anything to do with us.
Fun place to work
Assistant Department Manager of Millworks (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 29, 2018
Lowe's was a very fun place to work. The benefits were great and the room for advancement was there. My immediate supervisor was very knowledgeable and helped me to learn the tricks of the trade very early. I was young when I left Lowe's because I wanted to know what it would be like to have my own business.
Pros
Paid vacation, 401K, Healthcare
Cons
Sometimes dealing with irate customers
fun, challenging, great work place
Department Manager Hardware/Tools (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WA 98499November 28, 2018
enjoyed the camaraderie of associates and management, good company, great crew. management was always open to better ideas/opinions. each associate treated like a true team member
Great Company, Poor Direct Management
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Montgomeryville, PANovember 18, 2018
I worked with many great people truly passionate about their jobs and commitment to the company. It very much felt comfortable as an environment goes. Once Senior management changed over, the atmosphere changed to a very negative and hostile environment.
Pros
Schedule Structure, Excellent Benefits
Cons
Lack of Overtime, Lack of staffing, Transparency of the business
Department Manager
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Indiana, PANovember 15, 2018
I enjoyed working at Lowe's. I enjoyed working with different people everyday. I enjoyed learning the different departments. This job was demanding and many times we were overworked and underpaid because a lack of staffing, but it was a good job to work.
Ok
Depart ment Manager (Former Employee) –  Pompano beachNovember 15, 2018
Great houra, Management is well organized and Intelligent, Nice clean place of work and Great bonuses for Full and part time employees, Great customers
Good Pay for retail Job
Department Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Valley, WANovember 13, 2018
Each store is different. This is due to how the store is run by the current management. I worked at 2 different stores for my 4 years of Lowes work and had 3 different managers. What kind of manager really does change how you enjoy your job. Some care alot others dont. So ask around the store to see how current management is.
Pros
Good pay for specialist
Cons
Not a lot of training or help with such small department teams
Great people
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALNovember 13, 2018
Loved job. Always work to do and had many great mgrs. Managed many great people and helped more while I was at the store. I started out as a loader and less than a year later, I was a dept mgr. I was cross-trained in many of the departments
Pros
Great people
Cons
The environment is positive and there is room for advancement
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 12, 2018
Great people to work for, I just find the retail hours hard to maintain a personal life. They treat their staff fairly and are accommodating when you need time off or a shift change.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Constantly changing hours/shifts
Fun, but fun doesn't pay the bills
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SC; Durham, NC; Atlanta, GANovember 6, 2018
I enjoyed working for Lowe's. Everyday was a challenge to see if you could help someone fix an issue they were having. Most of the co-workers were great. I started to climb the ladder, so to speak. I started out as a specialist and then became a department manager. I took training to move up in the company, but the bench for moving up is long and politics, kissing butt, play a big part. Since I don't play politics I was passed over. The pay was not good for my position. I maxed out at a little over $17 an hour and I was told that was high for a department manager. With the schedule rotation you had 13 weekends off a year.
Pros
Grest co-workers, Everyday is a challenge.
Cons
Pay, Not promoting people who deserve it, Turn and burn (close one night and then open the next day).
Overall a good place to work
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 6, 2018
I had great co-workers and the team members where great. The pay was competitive. I just had a hard time with the rotating shifts. I was always tired. I also missed a lot of family functions. Because if the hours I worked.The benefits where good.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Rotating shifts
This is a good first job.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WANovember 3, 2018
If you've never had a job and are in need of work, this is a good place to start.

I learned that to be successful in corporate retail, you have to be willing to play favoritism with upper management. You will not likely be noticed, even if you're doing a good job.

Advancement was nearly impossible. Even if you communicated with your leaders, they're more likely to hire someone from another place than from within. It's very corporate. You're a number, not a soul.

I gave three years here and it changed my life forever. I realized that I'm never going to work for a retail outlet again. I should be thanking these people.

Sales, being friendly to customers, flexibility helps...

I didn't enjoy this job. I tolerated it. There's a difference. Someone who enjoys his job never works a day in his life. This job will have you stressed any time you apply for a loan, any time you ask for a raise, any time you apply for an apartment... the pay-work ratio is awful.

For example: almost every department manager is required to know how to operate 2 kinds of forklift with certifications. And do they compensate you for these? No.

It's a big box corporation. You're just a number to these people. That makes it hard to really want to give your heart to them. That was my experience. I did work hard, many overnights, and deliveries, and travels and I deeply regret my time with this organization.
Pros
Gainful Employment
Cons
Low pay, hard work, minimal career opportunity, heartless management
Department Manager in all aspects of store (Former Employee) –  West Melbourne, FLNovember 3, 2018
I had worked in another Hardware company but learned more mad skills while working at Lowes, I learned some valuable lessons there, some good some bad
Pros
skills
Cons
Hr
Good, typical corporate job.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLOctober 31, 2018
You get what you expect which isnt all good. Isnt all bad. It is what it is. Plenty of time getting ready for someone thats supposed to come by and never does. No overtime.Heavy pressuer. Good benefits. Take the good with the bad.
Pros
Benefits, work environment
Cons
Corporate culture, Lack of staff
Positive Work Experience
Department Manager/ Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  mazowieckieOctober 30, 2018
There is opportunity at Lowe's for people to advance. Typical day involved making sure your work environment was clean and safe. At times management staff was not on the floor available, but you had to seek them out.
Pros
Good Learning experience
Cons
Randon work schedule
Positive work environment, excellent training section
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 29, 2018
Great team work, customer focused, performance updates, weekly promotions and customer satisfaction policies, open door policy with management and human resource..
management was not candid
Dept. Mgr (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDOctober 25, 2018
in the face of Inventory season
staffing cuts
cancer surgery
plumbing outsold garden during their peak season

gross sales
profit $$ dollars
profit % double digit growth
28 of 29 consecutive weeks
Pros
dress code
Cons
out of touch manager
Fun in the beginning
Department Manager/Personnel Training (Former Employee) –  Ballwin, MOOctober 24, 2018
I was with Lowes for almost 5 years. I held different job titles over those years. I finally left because at the time my supervisor was a micro manager.
Pros
It was fun and relaxed in the beginning
Cons
Micro managers cause good employees to leave

58.7K