Kohl's Corporation Employee Reviews for Associate

Great place to be
associate. (Former Employee) –  marylandFebruary 20, 2018
Learned a lot, met a lot of great people, loved my job. The company throws too many competing priorities at you that impede your ability to actually do the job you are there to do-which is sell s
Pros
Compensation
Cons
work life balance, upper management not in touch, too many competing priorities
An okay place to work
MJM Associate (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WIFebruary 18, 2018
Not too bad for a starter job - nice discounts and they do seem to care about their employees. I will say that their hours were not the best and they frequently changed managers when I was there.
Pros
Discounts, flexible hours
Cons
No way to move up, bad raises, managers frequently changed
Awesome discounts
Kohl's Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTFebruary 18, 2018
Some managers favor the lazier coworkers. Hard work at times does not go noticed. Holiday time there are unlimited hours. But off season there are hardly any hours.
Pretty bad
Associate (Former Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 15, 2018
As a disclaimer, many of my co-workers were wonderful people, and I probably would have got along with them in any other environment. That being said, the "Kohls is like one big family" sentiment was not my experience.

I was hired as a seasonal employee right before Black Friday and was eventually asked to continue my employment after the holidays. As a seasonal associate, the permanent employees who were told to "train" me did so with general resentment. I was thrown into the position ill-prepared, and therefore became a further annoyance when I consistently had to ask for help. The coupon policies are lengthy and my mistakes earned me a lecture with my manager where she told me "I could fire you for that" in front of customers and my fellow, similarly confused co-workers.

The managers on duty defined the mood of the workers, as well as the policies. Different managers would allow different rules to be broken which led to further confusion of associates (and customers), and resulted in employees getting in trouble for things that were 1) not their fault, and 2) completely unimportant.

Overall, the management attitude was condescending and saccharine. The associates were consistently pressured to solicit credit and "deliver greatness" which still makes me cringe. I’d initially planned to keep a low profile and ride out my temporary employment, but mistakenly continued with them for about another month before quitting. During this time, I got a second job and started missing my Kohl's shifts as my priorities rearranged. Understandably, I became quite disliked after
  more... I missed nearly a week of shifts and put in my two weeks notice.

I’m thinking perhaps I was just a bad fit for the Kohl’s culture, because I've never had a job I so dreaded going to. It's a wonderful relief to never have to go back.
Pros
Some co-workers
fun at first but they kept changing things did not train well in all areas
Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, OHFebruary 15, 2018
trained for one position. it was enjoyable. changed to another department for health reasons, i was not trained but basically thrown into the position. was asked to return for short periods throughout the day to previous position and told them due to health reasons i could not. but no supervisor was aware of it so i had to go. ended up getting injured on the job and had to leave because the managers/supervisors would not communicate that i was unable to do requested task.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
no communication
Stressful Workplace
MJM Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 14, 2018
Management was very unorganized. Not everyone pulled their weight. Under staffed. Store was very messy. Pulled associates from the floor to register too often.
Pros
Discount
Really fun outgoing relaxed
Kohl's Associate (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYFebruary 12, 2018
Unloaded truck in the mornings I did shipment packing frates price changes helped customers lots of customer service clean bathrooms made friends love chatting with customers and finding them nice clothes
Pros
It'sRewarding
Cons
Bad management
Experience at Kohl's
Kohl's Associate (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, VAFebruary 12, 2018
I had a wonderful time working for this company and I wish I didn't have to leave, I did have some issues with one of the managers who worked during a couple of my shifts.
Pros
Friendly staff, all girls, wonderful managers.
Cons
Short breaks, having me run around with my feet hurting all day.
Enjoyed holiday season.
Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 12, 2018
Discounts were great. also, being able to cross over to different departments made the job more interesting. Hardest part became holiday hours sometimes it seemed even on Chistmas Day.
An excellent leaning experience with disappointing guidance.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 11, 2018
A typical work day is very rewarding in the sense that helping customers is very fulfilling and I've always enjoyed the company of staff and co-workers.
Pros
Discounted merchandise and company events.
Cons
Lack of advancement opportunities, frequent loss of hours
Eh
Shoe Associate (Former Employee) –  Levittown, NYFebruary 11, 2018
I wouldn’t work here. The hours arent great and the management is terrible. Shifts end at 10pm but when the store is trashed (especially during the holidays) you’re stuck there like all night
It was a fun place to work
Kohl's Associate (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 10, 2018
Always stay to your self , get to have breaks whenever you want or when your feeling tired , down and sad . People are so friendly there and are always there.
Pros
Free snacks and water
Cons
Short breaks whenever you want
low pay
Kohl's Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAFebruary 9, 2018
low pay not a lot of hrs if you don't have any bills to pay this is the job for you if your looking for part time this is a great place to work at....
n/a
Kohl's Associate (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INFebruary 5, 2018
It was a great place to work. They have a nice employee lounge with a ping pong table, cafeteria, and vending machines. They also have great and understanding managers,
Lives and Dies by Management
ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 5, 2018
As far as clothing retail is concerned, Kohls is probably one of your better choices. The clientele is generally older women of some means, so there's less of a focus on preventing shoplifting that Ross or more contemporary discount clothing stores have to deal with. The pay is minimum wage and the scheduling is schizophrenic, but the culture doesn't promote stabbing your coworkers in the back. Generally the mood of the store is all of the hourly associates working together and collaborating, with management pushing it's own metrics and goals. Nobody on the floor cares about how many credit cards we've sold, but management will. As such, any one shift is going to depend primarily on the quality of your floor manager (E4). Good management makes or breaks the store, and it's not really something you have control over.

In summary, it beats working fast food.
Great
Associate (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILFebruary 4, 2018
It was a great experience at Kohls. I had a great time working there. It was the best job experience I ever had. I would definitely work there again.I would also recommend Kohls to anyone.
Clean efc facility
Flex Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesFebruary 4, 2018
Palletizeing, cleaning debri, cleaning trash, keeping a tidy work area, meeting facility quota, Allows development of time management, and keeps you alert
Pros
All supply needs met
Cons
Not much help from management
Fun work place with some pretty cool managers
Frieght Associate (Current Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCFebruary 3, 2018
It is a great work place really chill and laid back environment with some cool mangers. Employees are really friendly and helpful, But the pay doesn’t match the amount of work that you will be doing.
I was a seasonal
Shoe Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAFebruary 2, 2018
Worked during chistmas crazyness. Job was chill when that settled down. I was in shoes getting sizes using handeld computer and calling other store for holds
Pros
Simple job
Cons
Seasonal job and customers wrek everthing so u fix it
Hard to balance
ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COFebruary 1, 2018
Retail is stressful, especially with the hours, minimal wages, no benefits, and the pressure to sign people up for email and credit accounts. The schedule is inconsistent and it doesn't attract high quality managers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kohl's Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

54.5K