Kaiser Permanente Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

Productive, efficient workflow and enviornment. Great place to work.
Emergency Department, Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Harbor City, CASeptember 17, 2018
Blessed to be apart of this organization. Great team work, Great culture. compensation is generous. Management is fair, will work to accommodate as much as possible. The hardest part of job is night shift schedule, with few opportunities to change. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with an awesome team.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
shifts available
Staff Nurse IV (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CASeptember 16, 2018
Best paying nursing job in the region Lots of opportunities for growth and development. Strong union and good benefits. Busy environment, great colleagues.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 6, 2018
Kaiser was a good place to work part time while sending my daughter through college. The staff was friendly & supportive to the employees who worked part time.
One of the best places to work. Highest hourly pay for floor nurses. Annual bonuses, good benefits.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 5, 2018
Good company to work for. Lots of opportunity for growth. Good benefits and bonuses. Hard to get into. Mostly will hire from within. Overall good place to wirk
Pros
Good benefits and resources
Cons
It’s just different
Kind, caring and friendly staff always willing to help and put patient's first
Registered Nurse-Flu Clinic (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 30, 2018
I worked for Kaiser as a Flu Clinic Nurse and met some of the most caring healthcare providers I have ever come across! The interview initially seemed to be "nerve wrecking" but once hired and attending orientation it all made sense as to why. The company made it very clear from day one expectations from employees, made the hiring process fun and in a group atmosphere. Orientation was beyond my expectations. Not only were the "basics" covered they go above and beyond taking the time to explain everything from the history of the company, their mission, expectations, why they have the standards they do all in a very professional manner. Kaiser is amazing not only with the dedication they have to patient's but also in the time they spend with employees to communicate expectations from staff. They are an amazing group!
Dont expect to be anything but a bedside nurse
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 6, 2018
Difficult- if almost impossible to cross train to other areas. Almost impossible to transfer to another hospital or region. Once you start you are stuck- we call it the golden handcuffs. The pay and benefits are so great, but you cannot every grow yourself or promote yourself.
Pros
pay benefits
Cons
lack of growth, transfer opportunities
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAAugust 2, 2018
Working in the Intensive Care Unit is physically and mentally demanding. Kaiser team helps me get through my day. I enjoy working with the collaborated team such as PT, ST, OT, RT, MD and ancillary services.
Pros
Positive and professional aura.
Cons
Short breaks
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 27, 2018
Kaiser has great education benefits, and offers a pension which is hard to find these days. Kaiser appreciates its employees and promotes from within when able.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 27, 2018
I was provided a great work life balance at kaiser. Our patients were great and we were provided with a lot of great nursing equipment that was up to date
Exellent compensation
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Baldwin Park, CAJuly 26, 2018
Best paid job ever. Can be very busy. Continued training given. Electronic Charting is fantastic. Plenty of time off when you add sick time, life balance, education time and vacation.
Pros
Life balance hours .
Cons
Has become very very busy.
Unstructured training
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 16, 2018
Unstructured training as job training policies indicated.

Management not supportive of culture diversity

Toxic workplace culture.

I enjoyed working with Kaiser Permanente patients
management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAJuly 16, 2018
I believe that Kaiser would be benefit from rotating managers and assistant managers. Recognition should be given for level of education. Managers should be highly educated in business management.
Pros
open door policy
Cons
getting too comfortable in a union protected environment
What I learned
RN (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 15, 2018
Loved my time at KP. Unfortunately KP went through a bad growing season where they implemented a culture of laying off people by calling it "restructuring and hubbing" KP words of One KP and Loyalty were lost to those most loyal that suddenly found themselves without a job. The majority of employees were listed as excellent and exemplary but had too many years of service in. Most left and some found another job within the system for less pay and not utilizing their skills to the fullest potential.
Pros
Free classes
Cons
short or no breaks, layoffs
Great First Step into Nursing
RN (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJuly 12, 2018
This was my first job out of college and it was a wonerful learning experience. Staff was for the most part very kind and supportive and although hours could be long at times, it was worth it on the up side.
Pros
good coworkers, staff, management, training
Cons
can feel like a grind
Over all Kaiser is a good place to work.
Lead RN (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 7, 2018
Good place to work.
Good benefits
Opportunities to learn and get CEU's
Good group of people to work with.
Very, very busy unit
Too little staff for the amount of work that needs to be done
Love the patients and teaching staff, patients and families
Pros
Good education opportunities, good benefits, L &P partnership
Cons
Understaffed in all areas, missing needed equipment to be the most proficient
FNP preceptor ship
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJuly 2, 2018
I was given an excellant opportunity by being precepted at Kaiser through my FNP program . I am currently an employee working as a Registered Nurse and feel the care I am able to provide with my resources is excellant.
Enjoyed working at Kaiser
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 1, 2018
Provided good growth for me and lively hood for myself and my family.Provided many stepping stones in my career.The salary was good and benefits also.
Pros
Salary, growth
Cons
Strictness in policies
More than 25 years have passed
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Panorama City, CAJune 29, 2018
It would be unfair for me to give a current review because I have left ICU more than 30 yrs ago. Way back then our service was really excellent and patients were very satisfied with our care.
Management versus union culture creates mediocrity
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Internal Medicine Denver, ColoradoJune 25, 2018
I worked here as an RN for 4 full years. I went to work here for the day time schedule so I could be available to one of my children. I came from an ICU in a teaching hospital, where employees worked with pride. In that culture, physicians and staff excelled, learned and were held accountable. Kaiser is a breeding ground for mediocre work and no accountability. Employees who are not competent are protected by the union. Union pay is good and raises are standard. Support staff protect their positions (not each other) knowing the union will back them. Management is fierce and more of a dictatorship than a team. There is no flexibility in hours, or trust between staff and management. It just wasn't worth it.In my opinion, the patients suffer from the lack of competent care.
Pros
The pay is great
Cons
Union and Management culture
opportunities to learn
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 19, 2018
A learned a lot about time management, the culture takes some getting used to but it is a wonderful place to work. Management is very approachable and listens to any concerns.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kaiser Permanente. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2