Kaiser Permanente Employee Reviews for Medical Assistant

Productive and fun place to work
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2018
I worked 15 years there. A typical day was busy and yet rewarding. We had huddles which helped us solve any problems that we might come in contact with The most enjoyable part was how me and my coworkers helped each other as a team.
Pros
free lunches, incentives, psp bonus, yearly raises
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Napa, CASeptember 29, 2018
I love Kaiser Permanente, i wish there were more around the country.
I get paid well and i work with a great team.
I would definitely recommend Kaiser Permanente.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORSeptember 28, 2018
Great place to work, has great opportunities for advancements,
Many clinics to work at. Opportunities to train in many departments.
Offers training to improve education.
Pros
Great schedule
No longer the best place to work in Healthcare
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Davis, CASeptember 12, 2018
The new managers, or babysitters, as we like to call them do not hold staff accountable for their lack of work ethic. They allow staff to sit around and shop online and don't encourage team work.

Kaiser is attempting to outsource thousands of jobs to pad profits. They refuse to negotiate National Agreements representing thousands of employees. Kaiser tries to silence their employees and limit political activity.

The CEO gets paid $13 million a year but Kaiser tells caregivers they're overpaid and they try to make employees pay more for healthcare when they are making millions in profits.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, Ceo
Doctors are great
Medical assistant (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 9, 2018
They do pay well and the staffing MA, physicians I work with are great. Management with rules, the way things are run is not consistent. Been there for 3 years and consistency is not one of their strong points. Staffing is bad, coverage is one of the worst things.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Coverage, properly staffed.
Well organized - managed care
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 8, 2018
Well organized - managed care. I haven't worked there in 20 years. When I worked there I was a Medical Assistant and worked for a well respected Physician.
Community driven company with focus on employee health and balance
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CASeptember 7, 2018
I really enjoyed working at Kaiser Permanente. I would never have left if I had not moved to Texas. The benefits were at the top for Northern California. Their focus on patient care was top notch. Their community involvement was all about Thriving.
Pros
pay, benefits, job advancement
Cons
management limitations
Advancement potential
Medical & Referral Assist, Provider Rep (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 29, 2018
Working at Kaiser was very rewarding. I was able to move from a Medical Assistant to a Provider Relations on job experience alone. Managers, physicians, and nurses are willing to teach you everything I wanted to learn. I gained medical experience that I would not have learned if I went to medical school. The working relationships with co-workers have lasted over 20 years. The culture varied depending on the job and speciality of the clinic. The hardest part of the job was creating friendships with patients that are terminally ill, and seeing the struggles of sick children. The most enjoyable part of the job was going thru the healing journey with patients and families.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Union
Bad company to work for
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAAugust 25, 2018
I separated from Kaiser Permanente back in May because I was being harassed and discriminate by fellow employees and management, the union, HR, my shop stewards were not doing anything to help me out. They allowed the harassment. discrimination to continue for months. It seemed like the company was hiring people to fill in the holes and not hiring people that actually care about patient care.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
too many immature people and gossiping
Golden ticket of the industry
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAAugust 21, 2018
It took me 5 years to get into Kaiser. I was told once that you have to "take what you can get" and move up from there. It's the most solid piece of advice I ever received because once I took a 20 hour position, I was able to accept a full time position 6 months later.
The pay and benefits are obviously competitive, however, its a union job so its really difficult to get time off unless you have extremely high seniority. They do vacation bidding once a year with highest seniority bidding first. If you are in a large department with a large amount of employees, the likelihood of you getting it off with little seniority is low. It doesnt matter if you're in a wedding in 6 months and you need the time, if those dates are reserved by a more senior employee, forget it.

I personally didnt get the support from the union, other than the benefits and competitive pay, that i was expecting, especially after paying the dues for them. They seemed to only make it extremely difficult to get fired, even if the employee was absolutely terrible. This also goes for management . The lack of support from them and management, at least in the department I worked in, was disappointing.

With any employer, there will always be cons, however, kaiser was the best company to work for in terms of the company as a whole. They truly want their employees to succeed and further their career.
Pros
Benefits, Competitive pay
Cons
Vacation and time off is limited, lack of support from management
Excellent organization
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAAugust 21, 2018
It was an honor to have the opportunity to provide high quality care to each patient every time and working with a remarkable team at Kaiser Mission Viejo, Ca. I value and cherish working with my piers and all the experiences this organization has taught me.
Pros
Union
Cons
Not expanded in Texas
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAAugust 14, 2018
I really did enjoy the experience that Kaiser Permanente offered to me. Although I don't agree with them going against their policy procedures.The management for specific departments are very good and very helpful.
Stressful
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 12, 2018
will make you a really good caregiver or it will make you question if you want to work in healthcare. This company is very stressful and requires caregivers to work at top of scope
Pros
challenging
Cons
union
It's n ok organization to work for.
Lead Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAAugust 10, 2018
Kaiser permanente is an organization that only cares about making their numbers and they neglect their staffs. Management is always right. The Union that represents the employees is all in one all together with management.
productive
Medical assistant (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAAugust 9, 2018
productive work place with lots of room for advancement. kaiser provides job security . i liked my shifts. great atmosphere with friendly staff and managers
Good place to work if you dont mind floating
Per Diem Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAAugust 7, 2018
I think they need to allow Ma's to do more with their skills then just vital signs especially for the money they make. I prefer to use my skills then loose them.
Employee Recognitation is great
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 4, 2018
Working at this facility was great. I enjoyed the flexibility of my schedule. Staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. Gaining another position at this company would be a blessing.
Na
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 27, 2018
Enjoyed my time at this facility. Great work environment, great resources for learning and improving skills. Amazing team work and support system. Great place to work.
Best dept Ive worked in
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 25, 2018
Enjoy my job helping people, best coworker and made alot of friends there. My manager really cared about the staff and was very compassionate. I have since worked in other departments but Oncology is the best.
great environment
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 19, 2018
Professional environment with a teamwork based effort and work ethics to improve the community in the medical field for workers and patients that check in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kaiser Permanente. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2