Kaiser Permanente Employee Reviews

Found 8,364 reviews matching the search See all 8,365 reviews
Management and culture issues
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Aurora, CODecember 7, 2018
Company has great benefits but has too many cooks in the kitchen. As a result, there is so much red tape that it takes forever to get things accomplished. Additionally, many employees no longer try because of past experiences going to mid-level managers with ideas for improvements only to get shut down or not taken seriously. They are trying to promote a culture of speaking up but they have to get rid duplicate managers and get others on board for this process to even start.
Pros
Benefits, advancement opportunities
Cons
Management, culture, security
Excellent Career Opportunity
FINANCIAL COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 16, 2018
This is a healthcare environment where your work directly impacts the health of our patients and members. You can expect to work in a challenging field that will ultimately lead to a long career. The management can be at time a bit of a mess, but they are usually able to get issues resolved in a timely manner and back on track. The culture is pretty cool and the people of Kaiser are very professional and are more like a close knit family.

Between job satisfaction and benefit/compensation you'd be hard pressed to find something better.
Pros
Pay/Benefits, work/life balance, rewarding job
Cons
Unions, management
Working for KP is and is not what I envisioned
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAOctober 29, 2018
Working at KP has so far been an interesting ride. I have experienced so much within my first year of employment. Some of my expectations have been met. Some have not. It is a healthcare company that promotes health and well-being, but the company culture can be noted otherwise. Even for those employees that do not face patients, there are times of long hours and intense moments in the workplace. Taking time off for PTO can seem seldom. I have yet to find the time to leave the office for lunch. Though the pay is better than some companies it is not as rewarding based on the extra hours worked. Like most companies management appears disconnected from the staff. In the year that I have been with the company I have yet to see management encourage individual discussions with all employees.
Pros
Job Related Training
Cons
Noted in the review
a great company for medical/dental care
RN staff, charge, supervisor (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 18, 2018
I had varied positions, thus depending on my role determined my typical day. I was a telephone advice staff nurse to start, advanced to charge and then supervisor, which was the most challenging

I learned alot at Kaiser. Management was not always able to make a decision, and if it was made, it could be changed shortly after. It was difficult to follow the workflow. The culture is very difficult for a supervisor who was a union person and went to a exempt position and non-union. The staff overall were very nice, and very willing to fight for their cause.

The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was able to talk with patients as the advice nurse, and help them thru the most difficult concerns.
Pros
Good pay/benefits
Cons
difficult to go from union to exempt and in charge of union staff.
Not an enjoyable place to work
Ambulatory Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CANovember 2, 2018
I've worked for Kaiser for over 20 years. I took a per diem position so that I can work at other hospitals where the moral is higher and where they are willing to train as Kaiser does not believe in training employees. Kaiser is very competitive! Working in the hospital is better as the RN's are a little more of team players than the RN's in Ambulatory Care, which can be very toxic. Management across the board is disorganized. There is a great deal of turnover because everyone in management is very stressed and the managers are RN's that have left floor nursing to work their way up the ladder. The ambulatory care RN's have attitudes. They think very highly of their positions because their jobs are much easier then the hospital and they get paid the same. If you are a laid back RN or passive in anyway, the RN's will try to sabotage you and will lie about you to get you fired. Sad to say, but it's the old saying is true. "If you can't handle the heat, than stay out of the kitchen". That is the atttitude of a lot of the nurses.
Pros
Poor Moral; Disorganized Management; Toxic Nurses
Cons
great pay, good benefits
Good place for a smart, young manager
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 12, 2018
The Good:
Great benefits, better than average pay, many training resources, tuition reimbursement, zero tolerance for discrimination, excellent amount of paid time off, speak up culture, much transparency.

The Bad:
Too many unproductive meetings and not enough time given to fulfilling primary job responsibilities , 60-70 hour work week, little control over day-to-day operations, too much bureaucracy, out of date and inadequate IT systems, constant sense of overwhelm.

The Ugly:
Unions are given more influence over daily decisions than almost any other industry leading to combative, entitled employees and a virtual inability to remove ineffective people from their positions even after multiple infractions. This creates a frustrating and sometimes hostile work environment for lower and middle management.
overall good healthcare organization to work at
Sr Manager Finance (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 18, 2018
no great career advancement model, really dependent upon you individual manager / management team on how you are developed and many of the advancement opportunities. In my decade there saw both great manager that develop and look after employees and others that for various reasons to not develop or promote.

Overall very collaborative environment and consensus driven.

weird mix of some pressure and quick pace, also mixed with some slow moving and more laid back aspects (mostly due to collaboration requirement). A lot of long time employees may not pull their weight with little impact to them, luckily many are retiring each year or moving on as jobs change.
Pros
benefits, good company mission
Cons
advancement path not clear
Very interesting, fun enviroment, opportunity in work advancements.
Health Plan Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 19, 2018
* Very busy work place, unexpected changes in work flow process.

* To be open minded and willing to accept change at anytime.

* Management, very supportive & knowledgeable.

* Diversity, respect differences, good relationship with co-workers.

* Hardest part, was to make changes quickly in your daily work flow, coming from a Call Center enviroment, each call was very important, due to day to day changes, you need to be prepared and ready to answer new and updated changes.

* Love helping members, supporting the managers with their representatives, educating the representatives the process of work flow and processes. My job was very interesting and I enjoyed it.
Pros
Great Health Benefits/Room for Advancement
Cons
unexpected changes in work enviroment
Not a good place to work!
Behavioral Health Psychotherpist II (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VASeptember 23, 2018
Pros: Salary is great. Annual raises. Enjoyed working with therapist that had over 20 years of clinical experience.

Cons: Poor management in the Virginia Kaiser sites. Faced paced environment. Therapist see 8 to 9 clients per day now. 45 minute sessions; even when doing new evaluations. Not enough time to complete paperwork. Favoritism by management. Work is not distributed evenly. High therapist turnover in the past year in the Virginia Kaiser locations due to poor management. Denied many times, sick, annual and CEU leave even when we were fully staffed. Staff morale is low. Kaiser becomes your health care; no other options.
Great working environment with great co-workers
Medical Assistant, Claims Processor I & II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92120December 8, 2018
I worked at Kaiser for more than 10 years and it was the best working experience I've had by far. I had the opportunity to grow in my career and experienced job advancement during my time there. A great environment with co-workers and management. Benefits were amazing! I highly recommend Kaiser Permanente as a workplace for anybody who would be interested in advancing their career. I had to quit since I was moving out of state.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Co-workers and Advancement
Cons
It was difficult to get in to Kaiser
Kaiser was the best place I have ever worked. It was also the place I learned the most about Orthopedics.
LPN in the Acute Orthopedic Clinic (Former Employee) –  Denver, ColoradoOctober 23, 2018
A typical day at the Orthopedic Clinic was extremely fast paced, busy and we saw many patients. It consisted of teamwork with Radiology
Surgeons, Physicians, R.N.s M.A's and Unit Directors. I learned
something new every day that I worked at Kaiser Orthopedics. The management was always great and good to all the employees. The workplace culture was comprised of multi-ethnicities with a large number of employees working together for the same purpose, day in and day out. The goal was to make each patient feel like they were important and to help them overcome their condition or injury. The hardest part of the job was probably communication on a grand scale, because there were so many employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was to work with our team and interract with them in a positive way everyday, turning the difficult day into a successful one.
Pros
great company, great benefits
Cons
The only cons were small daily difficultites that had remedies always.
Excellent Opportunities for Advancement
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 16, 2018
If you can work quickly and are willing to leap forward, then you will definitely advance.

Work-life balance is difficult as there are many goals and pressures.

Company is solid and often loyal to earnest workers.

Company is generous with retirement and vacation.

Several changes in management, which creates stress and uncertainty for employees.

Loved the company - wished management was more stable.
Pros
Excellent benefits, pto and retirement
Cons
Perpetually restructuring management over and over and over.
Management versus union culture creates mediocrity
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Internal Medicine Denver, ColoradoJune 25, 2018
I worked here as an RN for 4 full years. I went to work here for the day time schedule so I could be available to one of my children. I came from an ICU in a teaching hospital, where employees worked with pride. In that culture, physicians and staff excelled, learned and were held accountable. Kaiser is a breeding ground for mediocre work and no accountability. Employees who are not competent are protected by the union. Union pay is good and raises are standard. Support staff protect their positions (not each other) knowing the union will back them. Management is fierce and more of a dictatorship than a team. There is no flexibility in hours, or trust between staff and management. It just wasn't worth it.In my opinion, the patients suffer from the lack of competent care.
Pros
The pay is great
Cons
Union and Management culture
Storekeeper II (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 2, 2018
Good pay and benefits. But that's why most people work there. If the pay and benefits were not good nobody would want to work there. To many old school employees still thinking its 1985 or 1995 and are fighting for their jobs everyday. Employees spend most of there days hiding and doing little as possible till some with authority tells them to go do something. Employees believe they can hide behind the union till the union says they are screwed and did it to themselves. The union has only gotten worse over the years. The union cares about collecting dues from as many people as possible. No real reps from main office to support union employees. Then the never ending race war is also another fun part of Kaisers culture. Change is a bad word at Kaiser, everyone hates change but then complain when current practice isn't working. No advancement.
want to change. Old employees tell you to stand up and fight and argue with your manager because they are not in charge the union is "OK".
Pros
Pay, benefits, retirment "I did", some really good Surgens, Doctors, and Nurses
Cons
50% of the people that work there don't care about health care or Kaiser
Growing Fast and Catching Up
Sr. Manager Analytics/BI (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, COAugust 29, 2018
Four years ago when I joined, the was little or no enterprise architecture. Over the past two years, there has been huge progress; that said, many of the growth positions have come from the outside, limiting internal career plans.

There is strong cooperation and collaboration from individual contributors; management is normal.
Pros
Great benefits, work-life balance, education and learning opportunities are great.
Cons
Familiar career growth sabotage from external hires.
work kp
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 13, 2018
Political organization. If one person does not like you. you will be ostracized. especially if its management. a follow the flock organization. Design patient and population-centered care to improve health outcomes. Integrate inter-professional care to improve safety/quality, and decrease cost of care. Evaluate the ability of existing and emerging information, communication, and healthcare technologies to improve care. Defend health policy that improves the experience of care, population health, and professional work life.
Pros
money
Cons
culture
Kaiser Permanente is a great place to work. Faced paced, but great teamwork and one can learn alot.
Triage & Crisis Call Center (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 12, 2018
Most enjoyable part of the job was the challenge of working in fast paced environment and will challenging situations that require quick thinking. The pace of job made the day go quickly. Sometimes there are disagreements among staff, but management was great about resolving issues. Benefits and pay are very competitive. Great compensation for continuing education.
Pros
Challenging job, great learning
Cons
Not enough staff
Fast Paced, Lots of work, Fun enviorment
Administrative Assistant C (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WADecember 5, 2018
Great place to work for someone who is a fast paced learner. Lots of work too for job security. Questionable time off though sometimes they make you feel guilty for your time off or when you are sick. Management is questionable everyone has different personalities so its really hard to say.
Pros
Great Pay, benefits, Culture.
Cons
Healthcare, Always changing, Overworked
Productive team concept
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 4, 2018
A typical day included review of clinicians schedule, coordination of supplies, phone calls from clinicians, patient coordination and review of patient charts with quality coordinator. Management meetings typically once/day with Administrator. The most enjoyable part of the job included team coordination, care of patients and weekly case conference with Medical Director and pharmacy.
Pros
Excellent salary and opportunity for bonuses
Cons
Work life balance often difficult to achieve
Excellent work place with very high satisfaction
Respiratory Care Practitioner III (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CASeptember 29, 2018
Best place to work for benefits and secure future. Excellent management team who care about their employees. Directors encourage continued higher learning and organization reimburses to pursue higher education. Culture of continued learning and evidence based practices. Team work encouraged and organizational goals are clear. Great place to work.
Pros
Opportunity for growth, culture of excellence.
Cons
None really.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kaiser Permanente. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2