JCPenney Employee Reviews for Sales Associate

Found 5,190 reviews matching the search See all 21,445 reviews
Customer service, cashier
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 12, 2019
My review went great they told me that they would call me back in couple days and they did call me back and I got the job....they gave me onsite training...and let me go from there
Good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Downey, CANovember 12, 2019
JcPenny is a good environment to work in if you enjoy working in a fast paced and busy setting. I enjoyed the company employee discount on merchandise. But they really need to organize their teams and departments with good managers to help lead their team.
A day at JCPenny
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Weslaco, TXNovember 12, 2019
A typical day at JCPenny was good and easy. The managers were great! Very friendly and easy going. Everyone around! The hardest part was looking at people mess up the table you just finished folding. The most enjoyable part of the day was break time and also when we clocked out. I made a lot of great friends and also made great communication skills.
Not horrible but not the best
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaNovember 12, 2019
I worked seasonally at a JCPenney in Hermitage. It was nothing out of the ordinary for retail work.That being said, I would not recommend for anyone to work there unless they had no other choice. I was disciplined for customer complaints no matter how ridiculous and unfair they were. JCPenney will NOT have your back and will reward customers for abusing you with discounts and coupons.

Recently, over 4 years after I had worked there last, I applied for a position as a salon receptionist. I was told over the phone that they would pay only $8.50 an hour. This is the same thing I had made when I worked as a seasonal sales associate! Absolutely ridiculous that they would underpay so much and it tells you how much they really value your work.

final verdict: find something better
Good Company
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  North Attleboro, MANovember 11, 2019
JCPenney is a solid company to work for, I felt like my job was valued and most managers cared about helping employees. A job well done is honored and it’s ok to work at your own pace while the project is getting finished.
Good for what it is
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CANovember 10, 2019
It's your basic retail job. It's not going to be fun at times, but at least you have a job. I felt unprepared to start working. There wasn't nearly enough training. I was just thrown into the teeth of things.
El mejor ambiente de trabajo que tuve, excelenres managers,supervisores.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CANovember 10, 2019
Trabaje en jc pennie 2004-2009 y fue el mejor trabajo de mi vida.
Pros
Excelente ambiente de trabajo
Cons
Pay rate muy bajo deberia ser 13 hr.
Jc penny
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bell, AZNovember 10, 2019
I loved working there I learned a lot while working here people skills as well as doing what customers love is acually helping them when shopping for some onei . there family
Pretty good for a first job
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 8, 2019
Was my first. I enjoyed my managers and coworkers. Got good hours. Paid well and they were able to work with my schedule. The pay wasn't great but it wasn't bad.
Good place for a first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tullahoma, TNNovember 8, 2019
I would definitely work here as first job. It gives you the experience you need like people skills, money management, time management, and business skills. They are usually good at working with you life schedule
Productive and fun helping customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MONovember 8, 2019
Working for this Company is rewarding. Being able to help customers and make them happy is one of the things I enjoy the most. Working with a wonderful team made the experience even more fulfilling.
Horrible work experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 8, 2019
I quickly realized once I started this job that it was not a good one. I had about 20 minutes of floor training then never saw someone in management again. I would just come in, recover the men's department for 5 hours, then clock out. None of the managers knew who I was, and I learned the very minimal amount I did from another sales associate. I was promised to be put on register when I was hired (my preferred area of work) and never was. No one bothered to try and get me to stop from quitting, no one even realized until it was my last night. Employees came in and out from that job so casually. Glad I got out of there when I could.
What I learned
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MINovember 7, 2019
Working at jcpennys taught me to work under pressure while still giving good team work and a happy attitude with a smile on my face. I learnt to be patient with the customers and employees.
Good work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, GANovember 7, 2019
Good work environment with lots of interaction with people. Management is very supportive and encouraging of staff. Enjoy interacting with customers and helping them with their purchasing needs.
How I felt working here?
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norman, OK 73072November 7, 2019
It was a handful of different duties per day. It is a very fast paced job, and requires full focus and attention. Managers are sweet and always attend.
A decent place to work if you can handle it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 5, 2019
The store I worked at was pretty decent. I didn't have to deal with any problematic coworkers and the salary was fine, so that was what encouraged me to stay longer than a few months. But this is essentially a sales job thanks to the higher-ups wanting you to make the customers sign up for the company's credit card and it can get annoying after a while. Not to mention the place can get very busy at times (especially during the holidays). So if you like working with customers, don't mind doing sales work and can handle a busy, fast-paced job then JCPenny would be a decent place to work at for a while.
Stressful and Lack of Support
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 4, 2019
The store managers instructed the supervisors to lock the associates in at night until the store was completely clean to his standards. Store manager and assistant played favorites and didn’t promote from within. There’s no structure or organization, couldn’t get anyone relief for lunch breaks. If you spoke up your hours were cut and those that showed integrity were punished for others lack of integrity and work ethic.
Sales Associate
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MINovember 3, 2019
Maintained a clean, and organized sales floor. Cash handling, with sales, returns, and exchanges. Solving customer needs with a positive attitude. Captured emails, and signed people up for the JCPenny credit card. Was a leader on a team of associates. Opening and closing duties. Stocking, and checking in merchandise. Worked weekends, and holidays to ensure the sales floor ran smoothly.
Work is work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 31, 2019
Supervisors are real nice it's the co- workers that are lazy. .you do learn to do different things and supervisors do notice when your a good employees
Would not recommend
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 31, 2019
Credit cards, credit cards, credit cards. That is the only thing that matters and the only thing management cared about.

When I started at JCP, there were four people working in my department on a Monday night and by the end of my time, only one person was scheduled on a Friday night (me). There was still the same standard of cleanliness required, which meant I once was kept an hour and a half past when I was supposed to leave according to my shift time.

There was also an instance when I asked to take time off months in advance, but management neglected to give me the time off in their schedule even though they verbally confirmed several times that I would be approved for the request. I ended up having to fly back to work my shift. Would not recommend.

56.6K