JCPenney Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

depends on your supervisors or managers
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 19, 2018
I completely enjoyed working for my last department manager. He was very helpful in training his staff. It was a part-time position as the upper management said I had to be let go with the holiday help. After that the company let go of most of the department managers. I can say that working with different people has always been a joy but then there are those people who you would rather not work with.
Pros
last dept. manager was awesome
Cons
let go because of holiday help
Alot of work placed on individuals for not enough pay
Retail Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTAugust 15, 2018
This job provides little to no training when you start and you basically learn everything you need to know from your fellow associates. It also demands you do almost every job in the store, but still barely pays you any money. Instead of hiring people for specific jobs they hire people to do everything so you are a cashier, but you also work the floor and help customers, but you also have to check the fitting rooms and clean them, while also cleaning the store and making it looks nice, but wait im not done, you also have to put back all the clothes you take from the fitting rooms after you finish rehanging them because customers are very rude that come into this store and just throw the clothes on the floor. You are on your feet the entire time you are working constantly walking around and if you try to sit you get yelled at mean while the managers sit down stairs in there offices all the time. Also this job is very big on getting customers to sign up for credit cards for their store, and that's all they really care about is getting credit applications. The pay is better because you do start 15 cents above minimum wage but the job does get bad after a good month or so of working there. I would suggest this job to someone that wants a discount on nice clothes and needs a not good but better then minimum wage retail job.
Pros
20-25 percent discount
Cons
on your feet all day running around, little to no training just videos
A typical day
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIAugust 14, 2018
The typical day was alright. For the most part I was a cashier and working at there was not bad unless you don't have patients. The customers can give you a hard time but all of the coworkers are really nice and helpful.
Fast and fun paced
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXAugust 7, 2018
Great enviorment to work, fast paced and plenty of customer service. Helping manage stores visuals and merchandise kids department. Also helped the pricing tean from time to time
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low pay
Fun workplace
Store Execution Team member (Former Employee) –  Kelso, WAAugust 7, 2018
Very laid back. Some busy seasons can create a mildly stressed work environment. Management is pretty easy going and will work around your schedule. Especially if you are a student.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Great Job Environment
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAJuly 24, 2018
I would come in as a new employee as well as 4 others and we would be given tasks right away. Its very quick and tiring but can be fun if everyone works together.
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Clarion, PAJuly 24, 2018
I worked at JC Penney all through college and they were very flexible to work around my class schedule and very understanding. They helped me out so much.
Pros
Very flexible hours, very supportive people
Cons
Not always guaranteed hours
seasonal work
Sales Associate - Retail (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 13, 2018
i did not enjoy working here because i was too concerned i would not get enough hours. there is no room to move up in this company or have enough money to pay bills.
Fun enjoy working for the company
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJuly 11, 2018
Love working for company great place to learn and grow. Very family oriented, great customer service trainings was awesome. Managers were eager to help.
Pros
Great help great people
Need to be adaptable
Fitting Room Associate (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORJuly 6, 2018
Any day could be slow paced or fast paced, so you need to become adaptable to the change. Even if you are given a certain role, most likely you will learn another position, due to trying to be the most efficient in the work place. Most of the managers are very understanding which made working there alright.
Not sure
Retail Sales Associate of Fine Jewelry (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJuly 6, 2018
So long ago that I worked there, I really don't remember. Staff was always fun, friendly and relaxed. Lots of opportunity for continual training. Good job
Nice Place To Work
TEAM ASSOCIATE SALE FLOOR (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 6, 2018
Work independent and well with other's.
Records Management Document
Nice workplace
Enjoy the people I work with everyday
Understanding and helpful Supervisor
Christmas Rush Employee
Retail Clerk/Associate, seasonal (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 5, 2018
The job was fun and could be stressful at times, but then retails is known for such. I loved working there and enjoyed working with my co-workers. I would do it again.
Pros
busy, organized, great customers
Cons
minimum wage
An alright work envirnment for part timers.
RETAIL SALES ASSOSCIATE (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 3, 2018
JCPenney is a decent job to have for the summer or holiday season. The pay is Fairly decent and so is the actual work. Full time employment with JCPenney is most likely the most beneficial bet for working there due to the amount of hours given times the pay. The benefits and discount are a major plus!
Pros
Store Discounts
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Productive work place
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 2, 2018
It’s a nice environment for someone wanting to start off with getting into the retail atmosphere . Nice pace , friendly managers and nice people who come in all the time.
Awesome
Retail Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GAJuly 2, 2018
Awesome competitive challenging it's an overall mission basically. I loved working there besides the pay issues. I enjoyed interacting with the customers.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 27, 2018
Nice place to work, even though you end up spending the money you make back at the store with your employee discount! The customers were the worst part, the employees got along great
Pros
employee discount
Cons
inconsistant schedule due to peak times of the year
Stressful work environment with poor management
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJune 27, 2018
As a retail associate you will get assigned one of two roles, cashier or fitting room attendant. Being a cashier was stressful because you are always gonna get into a fight with a customer over an expired coupon. Fitting room attendant is not as bad but people love to leave piles of clothes on the floor. Half the time shifts are understaffed and the managers aren't flexible with schedules which was bad for me because I was a high school student.
Pros
Mandatory meal/break
Cons
non flexible hours, low pay, and the rudest customers
nice work place
Fitting Room Associate/Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MIJune 27, 2018
everyone is super nice right when you walk in the door. however when ever i had a problem and i would talk to management, nothing was done about it. i did really like working there, sad i had to leave
Pros
nice people
Cons
bad management
Great environment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORJune 26, 2018
Good place to work. I have worked before for JC Penney's in the bed and bath department at Clackamas Town Center for about a year. After finishing college with a Degree, I came back.

55.7K