JCPenney Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 518 reviews matching the search See all 18,599 reviews
Great coworkers, difficult management
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXNovember 9, 2018
All employees were very welcoming and it was easy to get along with most everyone in my department. However, your relationship with management could be difficult to navigate depending on the day, what mood they were in, and how they felt about you specifically. There was a lot of pressure to get credit applications and constantly be assisting customers. The low pay did not always make it worth it.
Pros
A lot of great coworkers
Cons
Low pay, workplace pressure
Okay
Cashier / Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 9, 2018
I worked seasonal but it was not a good enough pay I also had to work on thanksgiving and Christmas. the lines can and will get out of control and you have to get a certain amount of people to sign up for a jcp card i don't really understand why we have to get more then your employees.
Fun place to work at as part time
SALES FLOOR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WINovember 7, 2018
There people were great, the schedule was wondering consider having no kids at the time. I would definitely recommend working at JCPenney to all my friends and if I could I wouldn't mind doing that job as a part-time job just for fun.
quick paced and stressful
November Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Troy, MINovember 4, 2018
30 minute unpaid lunch if you work over 6.5-7 hours, otherwise you get a 15 minute paid break. some customers were especially difficult and there was a constant issue with shoplifting. management/supervisors were good and listened to employee concerns very well.
Pros
occasional free food, discount
Cons
minimal benefits
productive
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CAOctober 29, 2018
Fun to work here. came to work folded clothes and was cashier mainly. went to lunch and came back to do more of either. Went home and then came back to do it again
My experience a JCPennys
JCPenney Fitting Room (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 29, 2018
Working at JC Pennys at a young age was fun, this job taught me how the work life is and that working isn't always going to be easy. I enjoyed working in a fast pacing environment because everyone had the same goal as you with what and how to complete a task.
Part Time Customer Service
RETAIL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Madison WIOctober 26, 2018
This was a part time job while I was in collage, this was a pretty ok job as they worked with my hours and were always willing to have me switch schedule.
cool job
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTOctober 18, 2018
not a bad place to work, fun time, fair pay depending on what department you are in. Black friday is bad for any retail place, but still staff works as a team
Pros
easy going
Cons
pay
Nice job
Retail Salesperson Cedar (Former Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXOctober 10, 2018
They have enough hours for everyone especially if you show them you want the hours. You'll get paid enough and work plenty of hours which is good. Everyone is helpful
a good place to work
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia ,SCOctober 7, 2018
Good part time hours,employee discounts and working at a great place.If you would like to advance with this company you have the opportunity.Great job to help others with their shopping expirence.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Work Holiday Weekends
Very relaxed but can be faster paced on certain days
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLOctober 5, 2018
I worked there on a very limited time and my hours were inconsistent.i did enjoy my time there but am looking for new experience to further aid future success.
Pros
Health care
Cons
Short brakes
Prouctive
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, GAOctober 3, 2018
The job was seasonal. The hours were short an reasonable. It was a great friendly place to spend time at. I would love to return this year and do it all again.
company not consistant
Retail Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVOctober 2, 2018
JC Penney is never consistant with the working condition of their employees. There is too much favortism and back stabbing. They expect us to get all our work done but dont give us the hours to do it in
Pros
employee discount
Cons
poor management
Poor Work Environment
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Cordova, TNOctober 2, 2018
Average work day began with uncertain work. Management was scattered. The store only ran decent when higher ups would visit. Managers and employees both have left due to the stressful environment.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short breaks
Productive & enjoyable workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 1, 2018
Associates work well with one another. The assignments & projects that are asked to be done are fun to do & complete. Respectful environment & decent benefits
First job at 18
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZ 85365September 17, 2018
Retail isn't easy, but everyone was such a helping hand. Holidays and sales days are tricky but it helped me (with it being my first job) know how to balance my customer service with maintaining the store cool and collected.
Retail Representative (Former Employee) –  Montebello, CASeptember 14, 2018
It was a seasonal position. I don't have too much experience, however during the holiday I was busy the whole time. The supervisors were good to me and the culture was good.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Seasonal
Seasonal work at JC Penny
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 12, 2018
I worked there as a Seasonal hire, however in the group interview/training was told they had just fired 12 associates for store thief that gave me the impression that if I did a good job I might get hired on full-time after the holiday season. Was thrown onto a register with no training at all. Thankfully I had some past experience from previous jobs but the system was Greek to me. Everything was going well made it though Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Years. Then abruptly my scheduled hours were taken away and then I couldn't access my schedule at all. When I called to speak to a manger to try to find out why I couldn't access this I was told "they didn't know I'd have to wait on the store manager to get back from vacation in a week". I waited the week then called back store manager transferred me to HR who told me I'd have to talk to the store manager. When I informed them that I just had and they had transferred me to her the call ended, I was hung up on. The next day my paycheck came in the mail and it said Final paycheck on it.
Pros
fast work day
Cons
poor management
Great job while in School
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Management did their best to work with my school schedule every semester.

Holidays were hard work and long hours, however, they made it fun and sometimes got us lunch!!
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Ever Changing Management
Generic retail with poor staffing practices.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IASeptember 1, 2018
A generic retail department store with a policy of not keep a full staff on hand. While some managers were wonderful most were less than so. Little to no cross trail and too large an emphasis on credit cards over customer service.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Management, staffing, hours, environment

55.9K