JCPenney Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Fun workplace
SALES FLOOR (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAMay 18, 2018
Working at JCPenney was easy. It has a very calm relaxing environment. The management wasn’t very helpful you would have to figure out stuff on your own.
JCPenney is a fine place to work
Sales floor worker (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 15, 2018
I never worked too long at JCPenney, but I loved the environment. The pay was sufficient for starting, and the work was simple. I was enjoying just folding clothes for hours and assisting the infrequent customer. The experience overall was good, but it didn't ever quite fit with my schedule.
Pros
Simple tasks
Cons
Tight scheduling
Don't work here
Fitting Room Associate (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMay 13, 2018
This was the worst job I ever had. You are expected to do 3 things at once and when you don't get your main job done they aren't happy. I believe they wanted me to quit from day one. A lot of the time I was the only one working fitting rooms and had to consently had to stop what I was doing to go help ring customers and would get stuck up there for at least an hour and couldn't get all the clothes from the fitting rooms put back. I had never received a name tag when I was working here, and my hours were always getting cut. Finally I changed my availability for a baby sitting job I was getting and that was the end of me working here. I just wouldn't do it. Management sucks here too.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Always getting called from breaks to go help ring people up, hours getting cut, only one working a lot
Great staff, great location, flexible working hours.
Retail/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  National City, CAMay 5, 2018
New management, relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff, flexible working hours, great mall location. Enjoyed working during the holiday season. Would prefer to work permanent full or part time. I enjoy working with people.
Pros
Lots of praise and acknowledgement for performances from managment
Cons
Permanent positions available
Busy and sometimes stressful but a great learning experience with friendly co-workers
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXMay 2, 2018
Depending on the time of the day and what day it was, the job was fast-paced and I barely had time to take a breather. The management wasn't the best and I wasn't really taught what to do which affected my quality of work in the first few days. It was very stressful when I had many customers waiting and I was not sure what to do. I enjoyed the slower-paced days and the overnight shift. All of my co-workers were very kind and helpful and they understood that I was learning. Mistakes were forgiven and all criticism was constructive which gave me a lot of opportunity to learn and grow. I learned a lot about customer service through this job and how to best provide quality service to the best of my abilities even when working under stressful situations.
Pros
friendly co-workers, double pay on holidays, decent amount of time for breaks
Cons
hours were not flexible, end of the day shifts had mandatory overtime, poor communication between the managers and I, hectic and unorganized during very busy days when many workers were coming in
Productive yet unproductive
cashier and floor associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAMay 1, 2018
This company is great, however when I was working there, I noticed some workers only work when a manager or someone of a higher level was present, being a cashier I had to help people at all times and during closing would have more work to do during the two hours because those that were not working did not finish their tasks.
Productive. Fun.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 1, 2018
At JCPenney the work was fun other employees were friendly. The hours were flexible and it was nice that they gave employees a 20 percent discount. The mangers were awesome people and very easy to talk to.
Pros
Discount.
Cons
N/a
depending on days would be stressful
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 20, 2018
hardest part of the job was getting new information around to employees and being ignored whenever there was a serious issue. it was enjoyable but not so sustainable for living
Not Enough Hours / Low Pay
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXApril 14, 2018
I was a part time employee and could never get enough hours and was basically minimum wage. Not much else to add to review. Ultimately left due to hours/pay issue.
Great people atmosphere.
SALES AND FLOOR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Moore, OKApril 11, 2018
Low pay for the very physical work required. They were usually many days short handed. Was a great store and wonderful discounts. No room for growth.
Was a temporary job,while doing dome online school.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Hectic, not enough people per department
fun experience
Retail Sales/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSApril 9, 2018
JC Penney offers great benefits. I had rarely had any problems with associate or co workers. The managers were generally fair with the amount of work we all received.
A stressful work environment
Store Associate (Cashier & Lingerie) (Former Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VAMarch 28, 2018
The job in itself is very demanding and their is no sense of accountability between the experienced associates and the new employees. Also, their training program is based on expediency rather than understanding the actual rules and policies.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Less pay
Always interesting and challenging work. Good people.
Retail sales (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMarch 26, 2018
Getting down in the retail trenches isn't for the faint of heart. It's always tiring, frequently tedious, and occasionally frustrating. But those negatives are more than compensated for at a place like JC Penney by the fascinating and ever-changing challenges presented. And the co-workers in such a work environment are overwhelmingly good folks, supportive and kind.
Slow paced and relaxed workplace
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAMarch 21, 2018
Worked as a cashier for women's department. Hours were flexible. Typically I would ring customers up, maintain a clean workplace. Hardest part of job was dealing with upset customers. Most enjoyable part was meeting new customers.
easy job to learn
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 21, 2018
it was an ok place, but after a while it got too much back stabbing.,and managers were just not my favorite people. its great for
young people to work there and have a part time job,
Now i wouldnt work for them just because they work u and dont care
if u have a personal life.
Pros
great job if u only want to work part time, mostly for kids to work there
Cons
they are not flexible too much with u, when u have kids etc as far as the schedule
Not bad
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLMarch 20, 2018
It wasn't a bad job, pretty decent if you're looking for a side hustle or something to fit your life schedule. I did not get that many hours but it was something that kept money in my pockets.
Pros
Flexibility, laid back, somewhat friendly coworkers, and easy
Cons
Pay
no team work
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NYMarch 19, 2018
no benefits, low wages, I had a bad department manager. we had a good overall managers. The store manager was good also. A lot of folding clothes in the different departments.
A typical Day
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXMarch 13, 2018
In the mornings, you have the morning meeting with all the LOD's to go over daily goals for the day. Either for Online orders or getting someone a new JC Pennys card. woo hoo.... Daily recovery in each department to make it look good. Customers come in and the day begins. Customer service is the lifeblood of the company.
Pros
discount card
Cons
not enough hours
Great store.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 9, 2018
Worked for short time. Did not receive the respect from management

Loved the produccts and customers

Management changed very often.

Good discounts.
too few hours and a few mgrs who should study mgt
Men's salesfloor associate (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 8, 2018
For me there are too few hours and I need to work. You are able to go into the computer employee kiosk and ask for changes, schedules appear on Thursday or Friday and you know what you are scheduled for approximately 3 weeks at a time, I think most of us are concerned about the lack of hours we are given and so going into mgt is one way to give yourself a better paycheck.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
too few hours

55.5K