JCPenney Employee Reviews for Hair Stylist

Found 318 reviews matching the search See all 21,997 reviews
Poor Management
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 19, 2020
Management is poor .There is no support from manager , no guidance, help , motivation or nothing. Leadership skills are not good . Manager is rude . For not want to listen to ideas of the other Stylist. It's only about what's best for her .
Salon
Cosmetologist/Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOJanuary 14, 2020
The salon employees work together to encourage each other as workers and as individuals. There’s always opportunities for continued education in our field
I love what I do at work
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 7, 2020
I get to meet new people on a daily basis, and help them with their needs. Mainly I am working in the beauty industry where this is never a dull moment. Hair and beauty is my direct interest.
The best are my clients that I’ve been able to build..to be in such a positive environment
Cosmetologist/Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 6, 2020
Jcp is one of the best companies I’ve worked for as a master stylist..I have two jobs because I’m single and love people..As a company we are family..The company has great benefits overall..Management and the stylist time helps one another to grow and achieve..
Terrible management
HAIR STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 2, 2020
The store manager is a tyrant and customers and staff find her to be very rude and short tempered. She is not friendly at all and often times come off as mean, impatient and too busy to help customers. I see why the store is empty all of the time!
The company is struggling as whole it seems
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTDecember 30, 2019
This is a stressful place to work. Every thing, was up in the air. When I say this I mean, there is always a new manager who didn't have a clue, leaving most employees feeling lost and insecure as far as pay, and benefits. Paperwork was always messed up.
I learned more customer service skills from employees at the salon. There was a very good vibe at the salon.
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 26, 2019
There were a lot of stylist, so I didn’t get as much clients as they did. There was only one manager meaning if we needed to talk to her we had to set up an appointment to do so.
Jc Penny
Hair Designer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43240December 26, 2019
I worked in the salon and loved the environment and my co-workers but could not get along with management. Jc Penny felt it was best to hire someone with more manager experience than they had in the hair industry and any salon who thinks that way will loose both clients and stylists
JCPenney Salon
Hairdresser (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 17, 2019
I have worked for JCP twice at the same location. Rumors of store closings makes for low morale. The stylists are fun. A nice work family. Open 13 years, was better earlier. 23 stylists, too many. Clicky. Stylists with some unethical behavior ie. taking as many walk ins as possible. Seems like a hair mill. Monthly coupons freebies
I have learned things there but that was because I made sure of it
Licensed Master Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHDecember 13, 2019
It was a little slower than what I was use to and it wasn't worth traveling so far and not have sufficient clients.I did enjoy watching what other stylist created.
Pros
Watching other stylist at work creating and changing people's lives.
Cons
Not enough business
Great Company to work for
Hair Stylist (Cosmetologist) (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDDecember 7, 2019
The typical J. C. Penney Stylist makes $11 per hour. Stylist hourly pay at J. C. Penney can range from $8 - $15. This estimate is based upon 5 J. C. Penney Stylist salary report(s) provided by employees or estimated based upon statistical methods. When factoring in bonuses and additional compensation, a Stylist at J. C. Penney can expect to make an average annual salary of $26,589 . See all Stylist salaries to learn how this stacks up in the market.
Needs work on supplies, front desk, and overall structure
HAIRSTYLIST (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 30, 2019
The salon department is a joke Corporate Has no idea how to run a salon, which leads to the salon being neglected hardly any backbar or color and huge turnover
Great place to work!
Cosmetologist/Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDNovember 22, 2019
I started working In the stockroom at Jcp in high school. I then moved out to the floor for a couple years while attending Cosmetology School. I now have been working in the salon for 10 years! I love this company and couldn’t imagine working somewhere else!
Awful
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLNovember 12, 2019
I hated working here! The management was horrible and we had no idea what to do. We didn't have a manager in the salon for six months and no one knew what to do in her absence.
Wouldn't recommend working here ever
Hair Designer (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CANovember 3, 2019
I have been with the salon for a few years now. I am still at the same position/pay rate I was when I first started; minimum wage. The manager keeps hiring new stylists (there are over 20 of us now) when the stylists that have been there for years haven't got the clientele to make the productivity standards the company sets. The managers on the floor think we're there for them to use out on the sales floor as they see fit, even if that means stylists lose out on walk-ins, and the salon manager is fine with it. The manager also has clear favorites, some stylists can disappear for hours at a time, leave the premises while on the clock, and take hour or longer lunches, while others can't take their 15 minute break without her looking all over for them. Rules change every day, the HR department and the GM act like they're on our side, then either use what we told them against us, or does nothing about things being reported. They're is always drama in this place, and minimum wage doesn't even begin to be a compensation for dealing with everything going on here. And they just took away what little motivation there was by taking away our commission in California, even for selling products with services, which really helped since reaching commission for services was always near impossible.
Great job, disadvantaged licensed cosmetologist only paid minimum wage for hourly schedules in salon.
Hair Designer (Former Employee) –  Visalia, ca., visalia mallOctober 31, 2019
Jc penneys was my first job as a licensed Cosmetologist. It was a wonderful environment to work. Experienced cosmetologists working along side me as i continued to learn more each day while being employed through jc penneys. Had i been paid more than minimum wage for the hard work and great results per client, id still be working their. I deserved a better pay.
For hairstylists
Designer Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INOctober 29, 2019
For a stylist just starting out the salon is mostly slow after holidays and going back to school season. Had a hard time building a cliente. You get a discount in the salon and throughout the store.
I love JCP!
Designer Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Boardman, OHOctober 22, 2019
Not only is everyone so helpful, it’s very diverse. Young people, older people. And even though I work in the salon I have friends who work in the department!
Good
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTOctober 14, 2019
Jcpenney was a good place to work. The salon manager was not a great boss but the main store manager was. If it had not closed down I'm sure I would still be working there.
Awesome staff; great environment; low pay
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 30, 2019
JC Penney is an awesome company to work for. All of the Associates and Management are friendly and helpful. However, due to the decline in recent years of people visiting the store and the mall that houses JC Penney, as well as the lack of promotion of the salon, there is little to no way for a new stylist to exceed the hourly rate and be promoted to a position that will offer more money. The only stylists that make decent pay are the ones who have been with the salon for 10-20 years and even they have seen a huge decline in visitors to the salon.The pay is not ideal for a living wage or for someone who has a family to support and bills to pay. That is the only draw back to working for the company. If they were a busier store and salon and paid more, I would absolutely stay. But being able to provide for my family takes priority over all else.
Pros
Great work environment; Great Management
Cons
Salon is very slow and not promoted

56.8K