JCPenney Employee Reviews for Cashier

Not worth the application
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJuly 14, 2018
A typical work day is stressful, fast paced, and full of complaints. Managers were most often only worried about completing their credit card goal and not necessarily what the employee needed, they almost always prioritized the customer. The hardest part about this job would have to be that there was never a respect for availability, meaning one would almost always be scheduled at the non preferred times and dates that were given and having to deal with verbal abuse by unhappy customers.
Pros
$2 commission for every credit card, 25% discount
Cons
Managers only care for the customers and not the environment for the employee.
Also fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLJuly 6, 2018
This was a fun place of wor. However very busy especially during holiday time. There may be some days where it would be slow and have nothing to do. The workers and awesome and friendly as well as the customers.
Fun and fast place to wrok
RECOVERY AND CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 5, 2018
As a part-time seasonal position. It will only work for students and people that want to make pocket change. Time does fly when you are on shift and that I would say is a good thing. Overall the management is good they are willing listen to your concerns.
Pros
Fast pace, fun and not much of stress.
Cons
not many hours.
it was a nice place to work
cashier (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 2, 2018
i had the most fun working in retail being i am a girl and love clothes i enjoyed helping people find something to wear and them being satisfied with the help they received
It was okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIJune 27, 2018
It was fun. Not enough money. It was okay for the time being. It was a fun environment. Irate customers can ruin it for workers. I would work there again, but only in management.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Not enough money
Super flexible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIJune 19, 2018
super nice quiet environment super flexible with hours and are very understanding when it comes to sick days or calls off you get paid alot for retail
good job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2018
I had emergency had to leave out of town spoke to the manager 3 days about it before leaving she said she will take me off the schedule the day I had to leave turns out they didn't I was not thought all the things I was suppose to learn.
Unorganized
Quick faced environment with friendly people.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 16, 2018
A normal day would be going to the cash register and checking people out. We would be assigned go backs and at the end of the day we would count the register.
Pros
Nice coworkers.
Cons
Not very many hours.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 9, 2018
Working at jcpenney was a great experience for me. ALL the managers were so nice and easy to talk to.
They made it fun to try to make as many friends as possible (trying to get customers to apply for a jcpenney credit card). They had drawings,prizes,giveaways, etc.
Jcpenney was the best place I have ever worked for.
its ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCJune 9, 2018
I was a cashier who did not appreciate the added tasks on a daily basis because they could not keep their employees. They run skeleton crews then complain when you did not have enough time for the millions of added task.
Pros
discount
Cons
not enough help
Wonderful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJune 7, 2018
Manager made job easy and enjoyable. Was able to meet new people and I was able to meet my quota. This job taught me a lot about myself and other people.
Great First Job Experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, MDJune 1, 2018
Working at JCPenney Wheaton Mall was my first retail job. It was honestly an amazing experience and I recommend young people who are looking for experience to consider applying. It didn't even feel like work the majority of the time; I was surrounded by people my age (I was 18 at the time) and understanding adults who took the time to train and develop the skills within me. Words cannot describe how awesome my experience was. The environment is friendly and management has your back!
Pros
Workers, Management, Training
Cons
Salary
JC Penny
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZMay 31, 2018
Maintain the checkout lines to ensure all customers were taken care of. Handled customer complaints, stocked bags, take backs, returns, and over all store flow.
Pros
Friendly co - workers
Cons
Not enough hours
Learning experience
Cashier / Catalog (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMay 28, 2018
Learned allot, won different challenges between coworkers. Enjoyable. Loved the customers. Working in different departments was a challenge. But the challenge is what I loved.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Not enough hours, also the down sizing costed me my job.
Management is not professional
Seasonal Cashier in Fine Jewelry (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAMay 22, 2018
JCpenny although is very relaxed the managers are not really there to help their employees. You are pretty much on your own and kind of have to figure how to do things on your own. All the job cares for is how many credit cards you sell for their company.
Pros
Fixed hours
Cons
Fixed hours, management
Not a healthy environment to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  1600 Miller Trunk Hwy Ste 4, Duluth, MN 55811May 20, 2018
When i used to work at JCPenney's my daily work that i had to do was handle clothes and ring up people. Every other week, my manager would always male me feel absolutely terrible and kept on accusing me of stealing non stop. It is not a good place to work and i do not recommend it.
Pros
25% employee discount
Cons
mean managers, terrible customers, rude co workers
Poor management
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 18, 2018
Stressful work environment. Management takes advantage of hard working employees. Discount is decent, but that is the only bonus. Human resources is a joke.
Managers and Employees utilize time of store hours.
Cashier - Woman's Department (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2018
Managers have made a big effort to work together as to best assets of each for company regarding job duties and timing, plus to utilize each employee as to store hours and duties to perform in the time frame they have to store time.
Pros
holidays and special times really nice meals, and deserts provided.
Cons
no comment
Hours Cut
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 16, 2018
Its a ok place to work for a kid that doesn't worry about paying bills and a budget. Hours get cut without warning and managers dont seem to stick around long.
Pros
coffee
Cons
corporate ran, hours cut
Its a job
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARMay 16, 2018
Not continuously busy, most of the time slow business. Aren't allowed many sick days, I had 3 and was penalized. There isn't much to do but stand there. If you try and find something to do like organize the clothes you risk making a customer wait because you have to leave the register.

55.6K