JCPenney Employee Reviews

Not a great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAMay 16, 2018
Is not a great place to work. The management is not every nice. They got mad because I wasn’t on winter break when management thought I was so he had to change my schedule.
productive and great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDMay 16, 2018
Enjoyed most customers and team members. Love the sales and discounts. Did not agree with the cut back in hours after the holiday rush w.as laid off .
Pros
customer appreciation
Cons
not enough hours or part time sales employees
Fairly good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 16, 2018
As far as retail stores go, this is a pretty good one. Only reason i had disagreements at all was with the end of the day procedures. At closing we have to clean up, which is understandable. However it is not just your department it is the whole store. If you work in shoes and your place is spotless by closing, you still gotta go around the store. Again that is understandable, but there were some coworkers who made it harder on purpose. I would see them in their area cleaning up super slow and could hear them talking about how they take long on purpose to get more hours. I understand wanting more hours but I was fine and wanted to go home. Literally I would clean shoes and the whole first floor, just me and 3 people, go upstairs help them then get the call that we still have work, go to that one area and they are not even half done. Its not JCP fault for these employees but it felt so unfair for me to go in a small group and clean the whole store just to come back to those people not doing their work.
Pros
Fast pace, fair pay, good management
Cons
end of the night coworkers sometimes
It was a great place to work for.
Sales Support Specilist (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIMay 15, 2018
All the employees work as a team assisting one another. It was a healthy environment everyone got along with each other. The hardest part of the job was standing on your feet for hours.
Pros
discounts
Cons
breaks was short
Accepting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greendale, WIMay 15, 2018
The managers at the time were not trained for their posting. The Human Resources person did not what they were doing and were not cooperative, would not accept day off requests and was rude to employees and customers. Duties and responsibilities of a manger were pushed on to underaged employees. It was hard to get promoted and get a raise. All of the sales associates were fantastic to work with, very kind and accepting. It was very easy to get shifts at times, but hard to get rid of shifts. Because of this position I learned how to make someone feel worthy and feel like someone cared about their opinion. There were some very loyal and very kind customers I got to serve often and your occasional tricky customer. It was very rewarding to learn to hold your tounge in stressful and upsetting situations.
Pros
Breaks every shifts
Cons
The pay
JCPenney is a fine place to work
Sales floor worker (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 15, 2018
I never worked too long at JCPenney, but I loved the environment. The pay was sufficient for starting, and the work was simple. I was enjoying just folding clothes for hours and assisting the infrequent customer. The experience overall was good, but it didn't ever quite fit with my schedule.
Pros
Simple tasks
Cons
Tight scheduling
Productive and nice atmosphere
Home Sales Custom Decorator (Former Employee) –  Prattville, ALMay 15, 2018
Enjoyed working with this company. The staff seemed like a family. Advancement was frequent and training was 80%. When I started with JCP I had just relocated from out-of-state and was given a meaningful experience.
Pros
environment
Cons
metrics
Great environment
Hair Designer (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMay 15, 2018
a typical day at work was wonderful everyone was so welcoming and warm, our team was like a family, everyone helped everyone so no one failed.
I learned new things everyday weather it was through a class or my fellow co-workers.
Management was awesome she was always there to help or to walk you through things and to show new techniques.
The salon was always clean and sanatized, we all cleaned up after ourselves and others, the clients were very nice and were also like family.
The hardest part of the job was the counsltation getting to know your client and their needs.
the most enjoyable part of the job was to feel that feeling that your client was happy and excited.
Pros
Discounted items, lunch breaks, classes to further our education
Cons
Benifits
JCPenny is a great environment and place to start your career and help you understand what you want tem be and do in life.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARMay 15, 2018
I absolutely love working at JCPenny, I feel like it’s my second home and my mangers and coworkers are family to me. JCPenny taught me how to be a great worker and also how to interact with people. If it wasn’t for them I would probably still be in my shell. I love JCPenny but I honestly think I could be doing better as hard as I work.
A job place with no future
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 15, 2018
The management at jcp is terrible and the hours are not consistent and are usually low. Supervisors talk down to you and make you feel beneath them and the store is always understaffed.
Cons
Low hours, mistreatment
Busy, Fast paste and productive
Customer servise/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 15, 2018
A typical day at JCpenny is Busy, Fast paste and productive. Interacting with different ethnicity and personalities, management was Ok but I had relocate to a different location and management was amazing.
Needs improvement
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHMay 15, 2018
When I started I was working 35 hours, and I had vision and dental insurance available. I was promised PTO and paid holidays. My hours were cut down to 24 hours a week which made me unavailable to benefits. I also never received my PTO or paid vacation even though I reached the requirements (which was 30 hours for PTO) Walk in traffic isn’t the best.
Pros
Discount, love my coworkers
Cons
Benefits, pay, management
Don't even bother
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Portland, OR 97086May 15, 2018
Your bothered every single hour to get a credit card application but none of the managers could bother to get one themselves. They seem to hire anything that breaths, so if your terrible with no talent don't worry jcpenny will hire you in a heart beat. Expectations are wayyy to high for a company going out of business. Be prepared people and them begging you for a discount and to make your day a living nightmare. It's a great high school job, but not a career. It's a dead end job, and has no growth improvement do not recommend for someone with prior retail experience.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the store
I use to love my job, now I hate walking into the building
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ukiah, CAMay 14, 2018
I good boss is key to a good job! I work in the Men's Department and do very well with sales. But I learned that if you change a department and like it they will take it away.
Pros
Love the company
Cons
bad boss bad vibes
JCPenny stores differ from store to store.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAMay 14, 2018
I was employed at the store in Lodi, Ca. for almost a year until they closed for good. I had the most positive first job experience there. After closing i transferred to the Stockton, Ca store and absolutely did not care for the way it was being managed. I quit after about 2 months.
productive place to work
Sales Associate Men's suits specialist (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 14, 2018
Jc penney has always been the store for working class americans.For that reason,it is a place where working is fun.Meeting new people every day from all over the world because of the location(herald square in manhattan)was such a pleasure and serving them was natural to me.
Pros
pizza time, we all knew when the numbers were high.
Cons
benefits were not for everybody, specially under management
Okay
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLMay 14, 2018
Working here was fun, but I do feel as though there was a lot of favoritism among the employees and thats what ensured you being promoted from within.
Friendly environment, fast paved
Employee (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXMay 14, 2018
Managers create a friendly environment even in stressful/ busy situations. Everyone works as a team with a clear goal for each day. Use their employees to their best abilities.
Pros
Discount
Its retail what else can I say
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MIMay 14, 2018
I loved working in home its slower paced less dealing with clothing messes. Overall though it was retail and retail is retail, management is good though, if your looking for a good part time job JCP is the way to go.
Work made me feel like I was important.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHMay 14, 2018
My managers loved me, I ran a whole department by myself at times, I was trustworthy with money and a cash register, and customers were always so nice. Overall it was the best job I had by far.

55.5K