JCPenney Employee Reviews

Found 18,582 reviews matching the search See all 18,584 reviews
Fun place to work with a bright and competitive environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSNovember 1, 2018
It's retail, so the pay is no good for a person with moderate to heavy responsibilities unless of course you're in management. But If it's a side job or if you don't have many responsibilities, JCP offers a fun and friendly place to occupy your time.
Pros
Positive atmosphere
Cons
Low pay
nice place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SD 57701November 1, 2018
i have never had any issues with Jcpenny other when they cut hour after holidays or when they hire new staff. makes it difficult when you have bills to pay
ggod enviorment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCNovember 1, 2018
great people great workplace, my manager was awesome. my job was to provide great customer service while answering incoming phone call. I also had to make confirmations call confirming appointments
Summary
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jensen Beach, FLNovember 1, 2018
Customer service oriented.
Learned how to coordiante between online orders and in store purchases.
Take in credit applications.
Develop knowledge of retail operations.
Draining
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 1, 2018
As a starting job, it's a pretty good one. But the pay is terrible for all of the work that they expect you to do, especially since it is always understaffed. It's not necessarily their fault, but many of the reasons that people leave is because of the management. Terrible communication between them. Other than that, you become close with your co-workers, and the discount is nice. That is all I can really say about it really. Not much room for advancment unless you live and breath Jcpenney.
Pros
discounts, paid breaks
Cons
Terrible raises, too much work expected for one person
productive
Seasonal warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Forest Park, GANovember 1, 2018
briefing in the morning, the manager arranged what task we would be responsible for the day, Tasks would very from unloading and loading trucks and scanning for misdirects.
Great
Merch. Assistant and Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYOctober 31, 2018
This was a part time job that I worked at while trying to buy my house. It was a good second job and allowed me to accomplish the things I needed. I enjoyed working here.
management
General Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 31, 2018
stressfull , did not care about personal concerns, most goals were very unreasonable and upper management would often use threat tactics to make you feel pressured to achieving goals
Pros
Cons
lack of respect
It's low-cost, corporate retail.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYOctober 31, 2018
It's low-cost, corporate retail. I worked a position that required very little skill. Dissatisfaction and poor management was common. Not good for career advancement.
Steady work
JCPenney Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, PAOctober 31, 2018
I'm not really a fan of the job, the staff is nice and it'd a nice working environment. Not really flexible on scheduling when you need days off, often declined. Good company, nice employees. Just not a job I will stay at.
Meh
Cashier (Former Employee) –  TxOctober 30, 2018
They have favorites upper management just sits in their offices, they order you around more than teach you or help you. Their communication is extremely poor
every body
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wellington, FLOctober 30, 2018
Every body was nice. i learned a lot about retail. day was fun i enjoy my job. i learn how to fold clothes and how to greet customer and answer the phone.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short break
The worst retail job I have ever had (8+ years of experience working in retail)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXOctober 30, 2018
Extremely poor and disorganized management. I never felt like I received proper training, I was thrown out on the floor on my very first day with no guidance or help. Many of the supervisors/managers are extremely rude, have horrible attitudes, and have on numerous occasions publicly raised their voice at me and put me down/humiliated me in front of other employees/customers. Little to no flexibility with schedules. You basically have to be a slave to this company. You are required to work on all holidays, all weekends, you are required to work even outside of the availability that you request. Sales floor/back rooms/break room/offices are always horrendously filthy. My health has declined significantly since I started working here and I always cough and get sick often since working here. But you are not provided with any sick days and being unable to come in due to illness still counts against you. Outdated and dirty fitting rooms (most of which are closed down), outdated registers, confusing price signage, no price scanners, poorly stocked, over-priced merchandise, broken television in the break room, and never enough available lockers for employees. Little to no recognition for good performance. Management is very negative, I only ever receive negative attitudes, negative feedback, negative energy, and no positive or constructive criticism or suggestions. Tools necessary for performing my job well (such as hand-held price scanners, printers, etc.) are always scarce or broken and I never received proper training on how to use them. Ghastly underpaid for the amount of work  more... that is expected and demanded out of employees. Overall nothing but a constant and extremely stifling, draining, and negative atmosphere to work in. I would never advise anyone to work for this horrible company no matter how desperate they are for work.  less
Pros
Cons
Horrible management, no flexibility with scheduling, far too much work demanded out of employees for terrible pay
Great team work
Customer service Associate (Former Employee) –  Maple grove MinnesotaOctober 30, 2018
Goal oriented, motivational, friendly team environment. opportunities to learned new skills. career advancement, encourages innovation, and buy new ideas.
Pros
Great discount, careers related jobs
Cons
Scheduling inconsistency
Fun atmosphere
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 30, 2018
JCPenney's was fast paced at times but it was a fun atmosphere. Everyone worked very hard and you had a real sense of team work. I learned a lot about my customer service skills from helping with catalog item returns, phone calls, catalog inventory, opening & closing duties.
I loved working at JCP!! Wouldn't be leaving unless I had to :(
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 30, 2018
A typical day at work was usually laid back with bursts of busy-time as customers would checkout in waves. I learned how to sell credit cards to people! Everyone was incredibly friendly and I am leaving only due to lack of funds and relocation. The hardest part of the job is staying late to recover the store after a busy shift and the rude customers. Every other moment was incredibly enjoyable, especially the deals you get as an employee!!
Pros
discounts, bonus for selling credit cards, family w/ peers
Cons
rude people, bending over to fold
I love JCPenney
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 30, 2018
I enjoyed working at JCPenney. I had so many customers that actually came in looking for my help. I received numerous customer service awards. And JCP always had the best SALES!!!!
fun place to be
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  National City, CAOctober 30, 2018
we unloaded truck , broke the pallets apart , put the items in store , price scanned them , worked in the dressing room too, putting go backs where they belong , seeing where everything belongs, and did back up cashier
Pros
discounts
Cons
less than 20 hours per week
Customer service
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAOctober 30, 2018
A good company to work for part time we were able to assist the customer with the item needed. We help the customer with home appliances and other items needed.
great place to work
Test Automation Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 30, 2018
I worked as a QA tester for the development team, experience on sales and service modules in a completely agile environment. worked on manual and automation testing

55.9K