JCPenney Employee Reviews

Showing all 20,737 reviews
Good place to work but avoid management
Appliance/Mattress Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 11, 2019
It was a good job, but then management started micromanaging and became almost hostile. I worked in appliances and management started bringing clothes over to put on hangers saying we weren’t acting busy.
Friendly People
Recovery Associate (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 11, 2019
I am around the store putting things away. If a manager needs something they will radio you. Management is very nice and hours are very flexible. Hardest part of the job would be finding a way to help customers who are upset. And the most enjoyable is working along side co workers. There are also fun themes we do every month.
Okay Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NYAugust 11, 2019
I enjoy shopping here, would not work for JCPenny again. I was not a fan of the way they ran things and I felt over worked and under paid. But they have great sales!
Worst job ever.
Jewelry Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pikeville, KYAugust 11, 2019
This is a horrible place to work the managers and supervisors cuss and call the workers names they make fun of most of the workers they have it’s like you are in middle school all over again... they train you a day and expect you to no every single thing there is to no about the job and they will not work with you if you need a day off.... I would not even think twice about working here again.
relaxing workplace
Merchandise Execution Associate (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHAugust 11, 2019
i enjoyed working at JCPenny, the job i had was fun. i enjoyed helping customers find the items that they requested. i met a lot of friends there and working there help me gain confidence
Great work place culture.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fultondale, ALAugust 11, 2019
Great location. Have a lot of other retail in the area. Great Restaurants to choose from. Great area As for as security. Great access to the freeway.
Retail
Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Selma, CAAugust 11, 2019
Working retail was a busy job. Always on the go making sure you had the entire store stocked was important. Making sure everything was accessible to our customers was #1
A typical day at work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTAugust 10, 2019
I really learned how to socialize and communicate with others from the job and the customer is always right. I like working with a group of people. Always worked hard.
Summary
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 10, 2019
This was the best job as a single (before kids and a fiancé) freshly out of cosmetology school woman. I had a lot of freedom working here as our manager was never there! If we messed up on a clients hair we had to figure it out ourselves somehow or call her. It was super unorganized and a messy experience.
It was a pleasure working and meeting all of the wonderful people in Westerly..
Casheir/sales (Former Employee) –  Westerly, RIAugust 10, 2019
Learned point of sale system..management patient and kind...I can't say enough about the management they were wonderful..worked with great people learned alot..
Great
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 10, 2019
Worked there for two years. It was fun and a great job while in high school. The pay wasnt that great but it does help you build skills................
Always busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 9, 2019
There was always something to do made the time fly. Staff was friendly. Supervisos we're easy to access and communicate with. Rotate postisions so you never get bored with one task.
It’s ok just depends on the place
Manned the cashier (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVAugust 9, 2019
JCPenney was ok for a seasonal job they push u a lot of they know you won’t be there and they will ask for everything and how everything just a competitive environment
Geat company
Asset Protection Associate (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAAugust 9, 2019
Lots of room for advancement. Many positions to work in and many positions for promotions. I plan on becoming a manager for the company. They're are several manager positions available.
Packing dept can do much better.
Warehouse Associate - Packing (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSAugust 9, 2019
Lenexa Logistics Center -- Certain areas are better to work in. Immediate supervisor was great. Higher ups not good. Not guaranteed full time hrs except during peak time (Nov-Dec) when it's required & demanded that you work every day. Zero communication. Not much chance for advancement. Majority of facility managers are not pleasant and only come into the area to stir up trouble. When he'd come into the work area, it was very hostile. Once he left, workers were able to do their jobs. Dept had some great workers but were unappreciated and unfairly treated. Most workers are able to form great friendships and work well together. Unfortunately, the company does whatever they can to stifle that and create an unhealthy, hostile work environment. It has not always been that way but has become that way in the past year. Sadly, it doesn't look to get any better any time soon.
Hope they improve that facility so that it becomes a good place to work at again. Especially since their founder went by the Golden Rule!
I enjoyed
Enterprise fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TX 77479August 9, 2019
I enjoyed this job the hours were great. I didn’t get many raises but the pay was ok. I did a lot of walking I enjoyed the customers and management was great.
Okay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COAugust 9, 2019
It was very slow at times, many employees didn't perfom their position and the management was not very organized. Overall a boring place to work and very unorganized during the holidays.
Not a good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MIAugust 9, 2019
Bad management takeover
Not enough hours
Not flexible enough schedule
Manager need to get more involved

Pros are discount
Sales are good
Family and friends
Nice place, some issues
sales and recovery (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SC 29577August 9, 2019
JCPenny had a very nice family environment but was very typically a retail experience. I experienced growth and advancement but was not met warmly when I wanted to move one.
Good summer job.
Customer Service, Cashiering. (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDAugust 9, 2019
This would be a great job for kids first out of highschool ,or even a summer job. Depending on location and buisness, hours may very. But if you have a good sense of direction around the store, great energy around ALOT of people, then this would be a good job for you. Personally i liked working for JCP , but sadly My location i was at, wasnt doing too great in sales so i lost my hours. Also management wasn't all that great and began to take sides and or favorites. . and even with my experience there im not sure if i would recommend this to be a dream or long term job.

56.4K