JCPenney Employee Reviews

Productive, quick-paced workplace
ASSISTANT DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NE 68114February 14, 2018
Any typical day always provides you with a task to be kept busy, never is there a lazy day. Sometimes expectations are set a little too high, especially when those who set them are unaware of the current working environment or those set to help you have little to no incentive to do a good job.
Honestly, I love Penney's and working there overall. The best part is being able to complete an assigned task and feel the satisfaction of doing an excellent job. If you do your job and what is expected of you, your job will be easy and fun. The management team, while catty at times, are incredibly easy to get along with and are always available for coaching.
Worst part of the job? The horrible customers every retail workplace is subject to unfortunately.
Bad Company
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNFebruary 14, 2018
Be aware of this company. There is nothing positive about it. There was a lot of associates job lost and the company did not care. The benefits are not the best.
Hey
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 14, 2018
This job is no longer open. Had fun there. gave great hours. Made a decent amount of money. The hours where long. Enjoyed the people I worked with. Customers was nice.
I loved my store manager so i loved my job
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAFebruary 14, 2018
While I worked in Georgia, I loved my job. After transferring to Florida, I realized that my store manager made my job so much better. Each store is different. Working as a team seems to be a common priority.
Pros
Great associate discount (25%)
Cons
Salary increases only happen once each year and are small
just moved back to Il.
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Machesney Park, ILFebruary 14, 2018
if store would not have closed i mite have stayed on as maintenance there but the outlets closed and i did not want to work in the main store in the mall
Easy
Replenishment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLFebruary 14, 2018
Early start and early leave. Not very difficult job, but not very flexible with hours. Fellow employees were great to work with. Management was nice and accommodating.
poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Keene, NH 03431February 14, 2018
poor management, unfair environment
there was no respect involved from one level to the next, and there was so much talk about promotion from within, but nothing ever happened to anyone.
jcpenny
Jewelry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXFebruary 14, 2018
not enough hours. great place to shop nice people to work with but not able to provide for a family on so little hours. the holidays was amazing. but slow after
Great environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYFebruary 14, 2018
The culture of the store is great, everyone is like family. In my position there was a lot to handle at one time. Not enough time to get it done in a timely manor.
fast paste friendly
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAFebruary 13, 2018
i started off stocking items in the back. then bring things out for the store. I would re tag clothes that needed to be lowered in price. i would cashier
Pros
free lunch health care
Great Starter Job
Fine Jewelry Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 13, 2018
Jc Penney is a good company to work for, especially for students in high school or in college and need a little extra cash in their pockets. They like to promote that team development is something that they are passionate about, but if you don't go to them and make it known that you are interested in advancement then they won't really take the time to develop you. Communication is probably the main thing I would suggest they work on as a company. Communication from corporate to individual stores is not the greatest. As front line employees we are often left in the dark about sales and promotions that the company is running. We never know until a customer asks about it. Other than that it is not a bad company at all to work for, it is still making changes and development to it's core structure to lift the company out of the funk it has been in for the past couple of years.
Pros
Stacked discounts
Cons
Not too many hours due to budgeting issues
JC Penney was a great place to work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COFebruary 13, 2018
I enjoyed my employment at Penney's store. The management was excellent as was my fellow employees. I was at the hub of the store and was in charge of the main change drawer. There was a continue of customers around and very pleasant
benefits
good place
STORE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Lawrence Township, NJ 08648February 13, 2018
good place just wanted a higher rate of pay andi definitly would have considered staying it was a good environment for what its worth geat people and great customer service experience.
Busy, busy, busy. Worked in many departments. Closing is hard.
Part time Seasonal Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 13, 2018
Poor management. Management lack skills and discipline needed to successfully create a respectful working relationship between management and employee. Many times missed breaks. Training was terrible - self training through modules within a limited time frame. Company does not learn anything from the many reviews posted online. Unprofessional attitudes of management.
Pros
Job for holidays
Cons
Poor management. Having to review this company
A great place to grow
Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) –  1704 N Dixie HwyFebruary 13, 2018
It is a great place to start a career, you can develop yourself quickly. The associates are very friendly and the supervisors are very team building focused.
Enjoyed
Floor Supervisor/Dept. Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAFebruary 13, 2018
Enjoyed working here. Got to learn all the different departments, and was giving good hours. They had excellent training programs and willing to help you. (Got laid off when jcp changed CEO's )
Management was all over the place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clermont, FLFebruary 13, 2018
Management was never clear on what needed to be done inside the store. They also let certain workers slack off and not go to the front registers when it was busy due to them having worked there for a long period of time. I also felt that there weren't enough people working the registers and so the sales floor associates had to cover the registers, which left the sales floor empty at times.
Pros
good hours, good breaks, had free breakfast sometimes.
Cons
disorganization, lack of employees
Busy workplace
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 13, 2018
the job was alright but management sucked. The ladies were mean and were constantly rude to me. Besides that it wasnt so bad, i guess. their is also no commission.
It wasn't the best job to have
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dundalk, MDFebruary 13, 2018
The team members were hard to get along with. things never got done on time or in the right order. Example .. if my department was clean and ready for close but others weren't we had to go help, which is fine but not every single day or for hours after close.
Pros
I love customer service
Cons
management sucks, disorganized, always out of stock
seasonal window specialist position
Window specialist(seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAFebruary 13, 2018
Casual work place where everyone helps each other assist the customers. I found the ordering system interesting everyone is trained to order merchandise that is out of stock. Far as the windows department managing the ordering system for blinds was the hardest part of the job. It is a different system then the regular Kiosk. One of the things I enjoyed working there is that everyone treated everyone the same even though they we are from different cultures and background. I also met some people at work that I could hang out with.
Pros
Company orders Lunch and Breakfast during the holidays.
Cons
not alot of money to be made seasonal

55.2K