JCPenney Employee Reviews

Showing all 20,470 reviews
This job is based on commission
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLJuly 13, 2019
They start you out with normal hours but if you’re not a person who’s good at making sales then this job isn’t for you. Within a few weeks your hours will be deducted without anyone notifying you. I found out from former employees that you’re only valued for the amount of credit cards you sell. If you don’t sell the minimum amount that’s required then expect to have your hours drastically cut the following week without notice.
Great co-workers, stressful job
Merchandise Execution Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CA 92503July 13, 2019
Great co-workers and ok environment. If you are good at your work they would expect you to do your co workers job. Merchandise Manager bad under pressure.
A company that is going down fast
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaJuly 12, 2019
In my five years with the company, there is a lot of good I could say. However, all of that is null and void because the company is going down fast. My last three years working there was constant worrying on whether or not my location was going to close. I wanted to further advance with the company, but stores were only closing and less opportunities were becoming available. Depending on the position you desire, you will most likely be required to transfer. JCP doesn't prefer and sometimes won't even consider promoting from within the same store rather they believe transferring you to a new store with a new team is the better option. I personally didn't feel secure enough to move and transfer to a new store in fear it would close within the following years.

Like any business, it all depends on the manager you have, and the salon is no different. The Salon Manager will make or break your career. There are two types of SMs most common at JCP: the ones that prefer to be a Stylist and spend most of their time behind the chair or the ones so far out of the field that spend most of their time in the office. What this results in are SMs that either make you feel like they are actually competing against you like a fellow Stylist because they want the extra commission on top of their hourly rate from doing services or SMs that are incompetent when it comes to anything technical wise because they haven't done hair themselves in years nor kept up with the latest trends.

There is a lot of good this company can do for anyone, but the lack of job advancement and security was a good
  more... enough reason for me to leave. Not knowing if and when the day will come you no longer have a job was too stressful. With each new year, more and more stores close.  less
Sometimes fun place to work, but high school setting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJuly 12, 2019
It's like being in high school working at JC Penney. The management is touch and go, it just depends on who is there. Closing shifts sucked during holidays because we would get stuck there until 2am, just cleaning the store. I loved that the store had to be cleaned before leaving, but when everyone doesn't pull their own weight, it makes it impossible. While working in the men's department for a short period of time, I was sexually harassed by the customers often. No one did a thing about it.
Pros
Water in break room, time off requests usually accepted within reason
Cons
High school feel, tend to customers after store is closed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJuly 12, 2019
During the two years I worked at JCPenney, I noticed that even though the associates came and went, the focus on making sure the customers left elated remained. It was fun talking to the customers and getting to know them while also maintaining great customer service.
Pros
prizes if we applied someone for the JCPenney card, free food on holidays
Cons
short breaks, not very organized for tasks
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pineville, NCJuly 12, 2019
Like taking care of the customers. I sold Jewelry , opened and closed the Jewelry Department. Enjoyed helping customers choose items for their loved ones.
Good place to work for students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 12, 2019
I liked working here until the end. I was fired for supposedly "stealing" rewards points from customers which I never did but they didn't want to listen to reason. I get the feeling that they needed to put the blame on someone and since I was being set up, they didn't feel the need to investigate. I was about to quit to go to university so it was fine but even now, over a year later, I am still hurt by how they treated me.
Terrible management and employee culture
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Omak, WAJuly 12, 2019
So many cons and little to no pros. The recent change of management directly affected the employee culture. It wasn't great before, but it definitely got worse. Normal employee behavior include gossiping, laziness, lying, backstabbing, theft, and obvious racism. Employees and customers of color are treated like garbage.
Fast-paced environment with an emphasis on excellent customer service
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYJuly 12, 2019
On a given day, my responsibilities consist of working on the store appearance, making sure everything is in the right place, and greeting customers consistently. This job gave me the opportunity to interact with people in a customer service setting. Thus, I was working and having conversations with a variety of different people. Supervisors knew how to level with their employees while maintaining authority. As a sales associate, I was responsible for getting customers to apply for store credit cards, which required a comfortable salesperson charisma, which I found difficult to maintain consistently. If JCPenney had anything positive to say about me, it would probably be my ability to get along with my coworkers.
JCPenney
Assistant Manager Merchandise Operations (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAJuly 12, 2019
This is a great company that is working it's way to rebuilding on its rich history to grow in this changing retail environment. Very people focused. Great opportunities to develop many skills.
Company tanking
JCPenney Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  AlaskaJuly 11, 2019
The company is not doing well financially which results in disarray on a store level. JCPenney does not compensate well, and the work load is absurd..
Enterprise Fulfillment should not be a summer hire position
Enterprise Fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJuly 11, 2019
I worked here as a summer hire. I was supposed to be a sales associate (cashier/recovery), and I instead got put into online order fulfillment. I was the only one scheduled for that department several days. I had a radio (except when I didn't, which was most days,) where I could call for help, but it was a toss-up if anyone could actually help, or even that the person helping even knew what to do. This meant that for 120+ orders daily, (not including same-day pickups which meantdropping everything and doing those immediately,) I had to pick each order exactly off the floor in whatever unorganized spot it could be in, scan it and print labels to ship with it, pack it, and make sure UPS got it. In ten hours. Whenever I complained they refused to move me to a new dept, and they said it wasn't really an issue. I cannot recommend this department, butoccasionally I was required to fill in for cashiers and dot com workers, which was much better.
22 years
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHJuly 11, 2019
22 years I worked there and in the last 5 things got really bad. We couldn't keep salon managers, the store manager was horrible, and the company kept taking benefits away and changing what they wanted from us. Our salon was in such bad shape that it was embarrassing. And there is no room to move up because they will not promote from within./
productive workpalce
Sales Associate and Cashier, Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJuly 11, 2019
I believe that working with good people matters because then the work environment is good. If there is a sense of respect and belief among the people you work with, that is when good work is done.
okay place to work
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, MSJuly 11, 2019
I was promoted quickly, rising through the ranks every 6 months or so. Management was terrible. There was a lot of favoritism and pettiness going on. Worked some to dead and others skated by easy based on skin color. Management would cut hours if you couldn't work shifts she wanted you to. Used and abused employees. Many left before they couldn't deal with the managers. The pay was absolutely terrible. Great skill builder and resume builder job but get out as fast as you can.
Pros
quick advancement
Cons
horrible management
Good second job
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 11, 2019
It's a great second job. Works well with my schedule. The pay is not good but the discount is AWESOME! I love my managers. It is hard work though.
Laid Back Environment that Supports and Commends Extra Effort
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILJuly 11, 2019
I actually really enjoyed my time here. The only reason I left was because I didn't fill out my vacation paperwork so they had to fill out my week visiting my fiancee as unexcused absences. Otherwise, I felt generally encouraged working there and actually enjoyed my job. I told my manager I wanted to learn Jewelry and was allowed a shift the next week to train. Definitely recommend
Productive and fun work environment
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDJuly 10, 2019
Great work environment and goal oriented to conduct a productive day with sales. The most enjoyable part of the day at JCP is the morning meeting that consist of a store meeting to over over sale, goals, and news.
JCPenney
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJuly 10, 2019
This is a great job for someone who loves to relax at work. The days consist of simply making the store floor look presentable or assisting customers at the cash register
Clean
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAJuly 10, 2019
It is a great job , just the cash registers are a bit annoying putting in your employees code over 10 digits every time a new transaction is made. That's the only thing that bothered me there.

56.4K