JCPenney Employee Reviews

Sinking Ship
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Forest Park, GAOctober 12, 2018
In our facility there is no leadership. We lost our CEO and CFO in the spring. A new CEO was just hired in Oct 2018. In the Atlanta building the building manager was let go, the 2nd in command resigned, one of the area managers resigned, an OPs manager has resigned, multiple supervisors have left the company and this is all within the last month and half. And this is only in the Atlanta facility. Also the Regional Manager was let go last month. We are a ship with many holes and sinking fast. This used to be a great company to work for but I do not recommend it at all. It's days are numbered.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
No leadership
Seasonal Job at the Dadeland store
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 12, 2018
I love to shop at this store so I thought, Why not work here?! BIG MISTAKE. The night management at the time was horrendous. Yelling at us to move faster to clean the store faster, since the morning crew couldn't clean. The employees were always mean to each other...very low class people. It was a complete soul sucking, slave job. I will never work for this company ever again. I will only shop here.
Pros
25% discount
Cons
Mean management and employees
Fun to work there I like it
Carton Process Assoc-engin (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTOctober 11, 2018
Have a meeting which I personally find them to be boring, then to work scan cartons build to pallets. And help out in other areas that needs help. No overtime, except when black Friday's comes around
Pros
Free lunches sometimes.
Cons
No overtime except when black Friday's comes around.
Kept busy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 11, 2018
The moment you arrive, you stay busy. Taking items back to appropriate departments, to fixing clothing racks. I learned that the retail side can be a bit stressful. I was a seasonal employee, so I spent several days switching between opening and closing. I enjoyed pricing and stocking. The hardest part was the language barrier. I really enjoyed meeting and helping so many different kinds of people.
greaf and profesional place to work for
Phone Representative (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 11, 2018
I loved the employees I work for and management. management did there best to take care of there employers. I would recommend this job to anybody that's looking for a great opportunity.
Pros
raises
Cons
set schedule
i wish they didn't leave town
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Breinigsville, PAOctober 11, 2018
i worked at one of their warehouses. it was an excellent place to work. co workers were nice, management genuinely cared for their associates. if they ever come back around i would work there again
stressful and soul sucking
Associate (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LAOctober 10, 2018
I have worked at Jc Penney for close to 6 years now and my original store was pretty awesome we had some good managers that were so involved it was amazing. I then moved to Louisiana and the store Im at now is absolutley terrible the management offers no help for growth you will only get promoted if you are buddies with the GM. Then there is the pay as a corporation it is terrible even the floor managers are barely full time otherwise you will always be part time and i started at 7.50/hr and in almost 6yrs i have only gone up 1.26 they only give you like 10 and 20 cent raises a year. It is absolutley terrible
Pros
25% discount
Cons
poor management, poor pay, no promotions
Nice job
Retail Salesperson Cedar (Former Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXOctober 10, 2018
They have enough hours for everyone especially if you show them you want the hours. You'll get paid enough and work plenty of hours which is good. Everyone is helpful
JC Penny is fine compamy to work for.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSOctober 10, 2018
My employment with JC PENNY was enjoyable.Meeting new people every day and helping customers with their purchases and interacting with other employees
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Working holidays
Fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 10, 2018
I worked in shoes/luggage department...I met friendly people and for the most part, enjoyed being there. This was a part-time job for me and a typical shift was four to six hours and very routine.
Pros
I enjoyed working with public./selling shoes
Cons
Lots of talented people with little direction.
Creative Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 10, 2018
Hopefully the new CEO will bring clear direction. There are many talented people who are willing to give their all in making this company a success, but lack of clarity in direction and a lack of strong leadership has caused this once proud company to mire in mediocrity. Many in upper management are scared of making mistakes, so they take few chances and do not question direction, even when it seemingly contradicts the brand or is not customer focused.
My overall opinion on JCPenney
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 10, 2018
The job was a great job. But for some reason some of the managers were very rude. Their were many times were people were not treated as they should be. To me when working at a job everyone should be treated fairly.
Nice place to work at
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEOctober 10, 2018
it was nice work place,I had a nice time working withJCpenny managment . everyone nice they take for their empoyles JCPenney's has a very good work environment, They are very understanding of heatlh issues, and know that an employee can't give their all if they themselves are unwell.
Pros
short break
not an easy place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Horseheads, NYOctober 10, 2018
There was a lot of favoritism in the store i worked at. I you were 30 or older you mine as well hang it up because they only offer full time positions to the teenagers so they can groom them. I worked hard to get where i was and was doing the job of 5 people and hardly ever got any appreciation for it. But i did learn alot from working there.
I enjoyed my overall experience working there.
Associate Designer (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXOctober 10, 2018
It was a good work environment. My coworkers were nice and helpful people and we worked together as a team. We had a good flow of client traffic that would come to see us for our services.
management,pay
JCPenney (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 10, 2018
it was a good environment just the hrs were not there and well under paid.I loved my co workers and the supervisor was wonderful but i could not make a living off of what i was getting paid.
N/a
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, AROctober 10, 2018
Licensed IPA Guide with the Arkansas Health Insurance Department, assisting citizen’s with enrollment in health insurance with the Affordable Care Act.
Answering the phone and directing the callers to their requested person.
Peer specialist, assisting citizens with special care (HIPPA).
Survey development in computer data base, research into group dynamics with the goal of improving productivity in a group setting.
Horrid company.
APPLIANCE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 9, 2018
This company is going down the drain do not work here. the management was terrible their HR department does not give a care about employees, and there is little to no chance for advancement or pay raise.
Pros
there is no pros to working for this company
Cons
everything you can think of.
Unorganized mess
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OHOctober 9, 2018
Wouldn't recommend working here at all. The company is quite a mess and management at multiple stores I have been to are incompetent and do not follow policy any time a customer makes a fuss.
Demanding Job
JCPenney Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIOctober 9, 2018
The Job can be very stressful with the demand of employees asking customers to apply for a credit card. The customers are also very impatient and the slow computer systems that require approval for small tasks add to the tense work environment. People are constantly quitting.

55.8K