JCPenney Employee Reviews for Cashier/Sales

Found 694 reviews matching the search See all 21,978 reviews
Horrable place
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 18, 2019
Everyone there acted like they were in highschool. Had to meet a credit card sale goal everyday and if it was not met your hours will drop. There was not enough trainning.
Pros
Long luches
Cons
Everyone acted like a toddler
awesome! I loved the environment
Sales Associate- Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSJune 16, 2019
Great place to work! Great people, staff, environment. I've had great memories in there. Usually busy during the holidays especially Christmas but we were able to get the job done
Fun place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bennington, VTJune 16, 2019
This is a wonderful place to work, I met some pretty cool people and my boss was really nice and funny. I would definitely recommend this job. They are a caring company, if something tragic happens they do whatever they can to support you. The pay is okay, not something you could make a living off of tho. The only con is you always have to make sure your telling customers about the store credit card. It can sometimes be difficult if they say no, you have to keep asking until they give 3 no’s. Some people do get very angry
It’s a nice place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Steubenville, OHJune 13, 2019
It’s a good place to make friends. But after so long you can only go so far and you only make so much. It wasn’t enough to help with personal family..
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Retail
Meh
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 13, 2019
Working Fine Jewelry was okay but really boring if we were slow. Working front registers was okay, too. But again, boring if we were slow. Working on the floor was always boring, and it was super repetitive. Training is really bad there. They barely teach you anything before they put you to work. Pay is low.
fun working environment
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oneonta, NYJune 13, 2019
learned multiple tasks and different departments. got to know frequent customers. handle money daily. the supervisors and managers were great to work with.
It's okay for one first job.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 12, 2019
Experience from this wasn't the best, but it was an learning experience understand how to communicate with people and understanding their needs from the employees.
Fun place to work.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNJune 10, 2019
Overall I liked working at JCP. The coworkers and management were always friendly and very helpful. A typical day consisted of organizing the department, cleaning the fitting rooms, and organizing the merchandise. At the opening and closing of the store we counted the money. It was a fast paced job that required you to be on your feet for the entire shift. JCP lived by the Golden Rule of treating everyone with respect. I enjoyed how fun they made your job. The management always pointed out the positive.
Pros
I liked the 25% discount employees received. Helpful staff.
Cons
Short breaks
Not a long term job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJune 10, 2019
Management could definitely be better. Required to stay passed scheduled time to clean entire store. Need a Morning Team to straighten up instead of workers who’s been standing for hours already and then have to stay 2-3 hours after closing time to clean. Credit apps are pretty much all managers care about. Get praised for making credit more than providing excellent customer service.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Short Breaks, management, pay
Relaxed and moderate job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 9, 2019
For the most part, working there was real easy-going. There was a lot of teamwork that came into play no matter what your position was, and the environment was chill and relaxed.
My review
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXJune 3, 2019
JcPenny was a fun place to work. Styles were always changing and the resets. I earned the trust of Loss Prevention to help them out. I was top in credit card sales. I learned everything quickly.
Pros
All the changes of styles
Cons
No cons really
It’s stressful but flexible
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 1, 2019
Working at JCPenney can get frustrating and stressful but they try to be flexible to everyone and try to make sure everyone gets paid for what they work
Pros
Discounts
Fun great place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 30, 2019
I worked this job seasonal for the holiday season it was great they provided food and breaks for their employees. The managers were fair and fun. They tried their best to do for the employees
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
If you closed at the store you had to stay a very long time until the manager was ready to leave
Pretty good, Easy work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMay 29, 2019
I've worked at jcp for 2 years now. Honestly the pay sucks, but the work is easy and they're flexible with hours. I am a full time college student so i only work on weekends. Not going to lie, after awhile it gets very repetitive and I start to dread to come to work but compared to other jobs its pretty easy work. You make an extra $2 per credit app you sell which is cool. Some managers are chill and cool but others are mean and strict.
If your availability is open they will take advantage of you & give you lots of hours.
I really wanted to go higher in the company and the managers liked me but they basically told me i didn't have enough availability because of school and basically they said i needed to dropout in order to get the position.
Pros
Credit commission, very flexible, easy job for the most part
Cons
low pay, might take advantage of you
great leadership
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 25, 2019
great leadership and they are willing to assist and train. they trully care for the well being of their employees and want them to succeed in their job
Downward Spiral
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAMay 21, 2019
When I first started working at JCPenney, it was a very enjoyable place to work, I found myself excited every day to go to work. But about a week after I started, we got a new general manager, and since then things have descended gradually with what seems to be no pit stops. Most of the managers that were there when I started are now gone, and most of the floor associates that I started with are gone as well. With a lack of guidance and practical training, we are left with a team of unreliable associates who would rather spend their time standing around than actually working. The fun and trusting environment that I was introduced to is now replaced with a hostile and negative environment. Associates have trouble getting along, and with all the drama in the workplace, I feel like I am back in high school; and this drama does not exclude managers.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, associate discount
Cons
No training, Constantly short staffed, no reliability between associates or managers
Enjoyable place to work! Activities often!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sikeston, MOMay 18, 2019
People and customers are great to work with, and the environment makes it better having people fun to work around that have a good time! The place is overall a good ideal place to work!
Cons
no benefits
Good people, just not the best environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Trussville, ALMay 16, 2019
I can’t even explain why it was so bad. It may have been factors in my life but having to run around an entire store when there were designated people in the departments made no sense. The customers didn’t care and just threw close everywhere and they constantly used the restroom in the dressing rooms. The carpets smelled horrible of course because of this. There was a time that I even touched an item that had urine on it. Let’s not even discuss how messy the entire environment was. Everyone had something to say about each other behind their backs. I didn’t want anything to do with it many times but of course just to not really cause a stir I just went along with them because all I could think is that I’m leaving soon and I don’t want any mess with anyone. I don’t know what it is about JCPenney’s customers but I came back from school and every customer had an attitude with me. I’m ok with the occasional 1-5 customers with bad attitudes, but this was nonstop. I kept the same attitude as I did before I left for school, but for some reason, the customers were extremely agitated and I really was depressed from school so I later realized that if I didn’t leave at the time I did, that I would start treating them the way they were treating me, so sorry for the essay, but JCPenney isn’t the place to make money and not be stressed out.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
They try to make it harder to really get those discounts after they realize how good they are
Quick pace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gateway MallMay 13, 2019
Quick paced if you don’t like being on your feet all day this isn’t the job for you. However the discounts were good, the hours are flexible and the people are pretty nice
Fast food workers make more!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GAApril 28, 2019
I wouldn't recommend anybody wirh a family to work at Jcpenney. The pay is insulting for the work your expected to do. Management is not qualified and they are not concerned with what you have going on in your life at all. If you have any other options pick any one before Jcpenney.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, no benefits, no growth

56.8K