JCPenney Employee Reviews for Cashier/Sales

Found 642 reviews matching the search See all 20,775 reviews
Poorly managed, sometimes hostile work environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAMarch 20, 2019
Far too many people with the title of LOD; large focus on sales/credit card application quotas. If quotas aren't met, an LOD will threaten you with cut hours or termination.
Enjoyed working with the people
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 18, 2019
Open and closed department, worked with 5 cash drawers and diamond vault, answered phone and called customers, customer service, knowledge on products a must, in charged of 6 sets of jewelry keys for cases. Checked in merchandise received and sent out orders and checked in orders. Rang on cash registers, used calculators. Did watch and jewelry repairs, trained new associate, did ad signing. Did count books for jewelry cases. File paper work and report to management and security daily on dept issues. Inventory, did jewelry shows. Met goals for self and department.
Pros
Associate discounts
Cons
Not great on the Benifits for employees
Fun Place to Work At (Sometimes)
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockaway, NJMarch 14, 2019
At first, working at Jcpenny's is really fun. The environment there is super chill except for the managers. The managers at my location really did suck except for maybe one of them. If you did not get an ICAP aka open up a credit card for customers, they would basically give you dirty looks and treat you badly. If you approached the end of your shift and everything is not put away, the managers would all look at you with disgust and talk bad things behind your back.
Pros
Discount
Cons
management, short breaks
Ok place to work. Realkt never had enough people to cover all work areas. Not enough pay
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMarch 14, 2019
Everyday I would have to do more than one persons job. The pay wasn't sent great and everybody always seemed to have an attitude. Needed a job that why I applied but it wasn't worth it at all
It was a horrible experience for me. Bad enough to where I will not spend my money there and will never offer it as a job opportunity to friends.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMMarch 14, 2019
Management was very poor. Associates were open about their dislikes on homosexuals. Their customer service wasn’t always the best. Overall I just felt that most of the associates weren’t good people. But there were the good few whom I really enjoyed.
Children's department!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJMarch 14, 2019
I enjoyed working part time for JC Penney. I received their discount card and made $9.50 an hour. I attended 1 training session. I look forward to more training on the job. In the meantime Im looking for other opportunities and I am increasing awareness of my availability.

Easiest part of the job is tending to a customer's needs. The hardest part is the treatmen tthat another staff memeber gave me. We can learn from staff, or other employees that still care like myself!! In spite of eveerything!!
Pros
Pot Luck
managers and coworkers easy to get a long with
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 13, 2019
the manager were really nice they would help you out with problems. i was able to pick up what they were teaching me about the different jobs i had to do.
my first job
Sales Associate (Cashier) (Former Employee) –  Oxford, ALMarch 5, 2019
I loved working here! I loved getting credit applications! I loved working with my coworkers, they were great. I made a lot of friends working there!!
Slow work pace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GA 30909February 28, 2019
A typical day at work includes folding clothes,checking dressing rooms, ringing up customers ,and putting clothes back.It is a laid back area with not too much to do.
Not flexible
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 27, 2019
JCPenney was not a good place to work, I was initially part time but was expected to work so many hours on days I had already told them I could not. The management was rude and did not care about their employees; it is not worth working more than you should for such little pay.
Pros
Discount
Cons
The pay and hours
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INFebruary 22, 2019
Register in draw. Open draw. Sales . stock shelves. Dust. Run sweeper. Clean fitting room.
Restocked shelves. Clean mirrors. Held things for 3 days for employees took register outbefore you left.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No lunch break
good and friendly place but ....
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 21, 2019
As for the work experience, it went great, met a few good people, learned to communicate a lot more and how to work the registers. A typical day at work would either be slow or fast like any other job and there really wasn't a hard part of the job, for the enjoyable part, I think having some pretty good and funny conversations with costumers were the best. I just think the hiring/training process is the part where it was just all over the place. At first I was originally applying to Sephora inside Jcpenney because I'm obsessed with makeup and thought it would've been an ok experience and a good start for a first job which is another story. But when I arrived for my second day of training I was sat down and told to go on this program thing and watch a bunch of videos that were listed on the page.... thing is... the videos that were listed were about Jcpenney and only 3 were somewhat about sephora. I was a little confused since there was another girl who was also applying to Sephora but was given a sheet of paper with specific videos to watch. I then found out that it was her third day so I thought well im only on my second day maybe i'll get the paper the next day. N o p e. On my third day I was put on the floor for sephora but ended up getting assigned to do 'recovery' for Jcpenney for just that day which I didn't mind because I was very confused and not prepared at all and recovery was simple. After working like 2 days a week I decided to switch to Jcpenney, thankfully my experience with that was much better, and luckily there was a nice lady there who decided to let me watch  more... her do some checkouts a few times so I can prepare myself a little more and have a better idea of what the process looked like and yeah, I then decided to resign since I didnt think it was the right time for me either way. Things happen.  less
Pros
discount, meet new people
Cons
for sephora, not enough hours. Jcpenney wise, training could've gone better
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INFebruary 19, 2019
Fun out going people, short breaks, can be very hectic during holidays and also long days. The people that work there get are very easy to get along with and gets along with others
Fun work environment
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXFebruary 18, 2019
JCPenney is a fun place to work, the managers are pretty laid back, except when it comes to making credit. They are very flexible with hours and are able to work around your schedules.
Know what you're getting into
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NEFebruary 17, 2019
When business was slow (all the time) work could get done fast but instead of sending people home early, they give hours of pointless busy work. Management was very strict, the best employees are treated the same as the worst. UNDERSTAND you will be scheduled every week for every hour you put on your availability. Felt like the teenage equivalent of a dull office job. Oh and while you work your 4-8 hour shift 30 mins of pop songs(or pop holiday songs) will be played on a loop.Their targeted customers are middle age and older women so the environment is suited to best please them, I should have realized that me being a teenage male, wouldn't enjoy spending long periods of time at a place like this. If you apply for only sales associate or only cashier they just make you do both.
Pros
flexible hours except on holidays
Cons
dying inside
This can be a very fast pace working enviroment
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington StateFebruary 15, 2019
Learning all the different name designer brands of clothing also the history of James Cash was an America businessman and entrepreneur between September 1875 - 1902
Pros
Its a how you work your integrity
Cons
No comment
Stressful
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 13, 2019
The workers themselves were enjoyable. However, management was okay, scheduling was awful, they were hardly flexible considering school circumstances. It was very slow all of the time, got pretty boring.
Unfair,Boring, and unrealistic place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXFebruary 12, 2019
I worked at a JCPenney inside a mall. I like my Co workers that help me learned new things about that work life. But they are either old retired people or young people who needs a job like me. That’s creates a huge problem or at lease in my JCPenney’s. The reason being is that the manger care about the older people than the younger people. I know that sounds good on paper but it’s not. That means that the older people get more breaks(paid) than the younger people who also worked the same amount of hours or more. Also the manger treats the younger people like dirt or low respected while the older people get praised. They also wants us to keep the place in order. Which it should be. The problem is that the majority of the costumers are the people who flip clothes everywhere or leave clothes or items where they are not suppose to go. Not saying it could look nice but I’m saying that theres gonna be a few spots where costumers flip clothing everywhere. I had one manger that threatened 2 other co workers and me that we would lose our jobs if the place is not “perfect”. By the way that story was on my first week there. We got the place tidy up but then the hordes of customers came and trashed it up again. So we had to do it again. While we where recovering the place the manger came up to us angrily. Saying that “I told all 3 of you guys to cleans the place up.” Then she decided to split us up into different departments. That made me angry and wasn’t expecting that from my first job. Even though my co workers and I did the task. That was also on the same day as the last story. Do  more... mind you that I applied for a cashier position not the clean up crew. The manger thought I wasn’t trained enough to get on the register. I didn’t care I still got on the cash register. I learned through peers and trail and error. There’s a thing call “credit apps”, it when someone signs up for the JCPenney’s credit card. After a few months the manger still dosn’t trust me with the cashier position. Even though I got the most “credit apps” every single day. The manger keeps making the excuse that I am not trained enough even though our goals is to get a lot of credit apps. Not to brag but I got at least 4 everyday. Which is not a lot but trust me it’s a lot when people really don’t want the JCPenney card. The poster when you apply here says that collaboration is key. The problem is that if you talk to another co worker during work then the mangers would get mad at you. Pays kinda bad($8.50 per hour) compare to other retail stores. That was only some of the bad experiences that I had there. But there are some positives to this job. The stories was only about one manager. But there are other mangers too. I only liked 3 mangers out of 7. One manger actually liked me for my hardworking effort unlike that one manger that should not be named.(we call her The Wigs). You do have to work long hours but they do hold the promise of flexibility with hours unless your during the holiday season. That’s it, I just want to say this place is bad for the most part(Big OOF)  less
Pros
Small discount
Cons
Short breaks, bad mangement, bad pay, super long hours, pay bi weekly
low wage and very few hours to pay bills.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ridgmar mallFebruary 12, 2019
some times employees will call out, communication between managers suck, work for less, not for anyone in their thirties. managers sometimes will not answer if you call them for help. their will be a lot of teenagers will get a lot of hours and while others don't. They will cut hours if you don't make your goal or some excuse they have. however, what make this job great is that their are great managers and supervisors that will listen. but there will always be one. co workers are great, but their are a few that will not do anything and just gossip. usually its really slow on weekdays ,however on weekends is busy. customers will sometimes be rude and will try to scam you if you are not careful. This job is good for anyone trying to get extra bucks for gas or food. other than that you will regret it. after working only once or twice a week.
Pros
drawings to win, mexican food(sometimes), great co workers+managers
Cons
few hours, pay rate
Corporate
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAFebruary 7, 2019
JCPenney was my first job, so I had nothing to compare it to, and I enjoyed my job for the most part. Now, I know that corporate sucks and they do not care about you. They push really hard for you to get credit card applications from customers.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Corporate

56.5K