JCPenney Employee Reviews

Showing all 18,766 reviews
flexible hrs and they work with you
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 14, 2018
the hrs are not consistent and the pay is low. you work hard and your not rewarded as you should in terms of the pay.. but the environment and the ppl that work there make it beneficial
Cashier/Recovery Team
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brunswick, GADecember 14, 2018
A typical day at J.C. Penney includes ringing out customers and reorganizing the merchandise to prevent shrinkage. The work atmosphere is generally positive and the manager is a reasonable person. This job is teaching me patience and helping me build confidence as I help customers and speak with my fellow associates. I think the hardest part of the job is not being able to help a customer save money when a coupon does not work on particular items in the store. On the same token, the little happy dance that customers do when they save a whole lot of money on things that would normally be too expensive.
Pros
Associate discounts and the opportunity to help someone
Cons
Work on holidays.
Relaxed and fun place to work good for nice part time job with a great employee discount
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 14, 2018
This used to be a good place to work.When I started they offered a matching 401 and a pension they kept the full timers at the hours they needed to qualify for health insurance and were very generous with paid time off . Now This corporation goal is to keep everyone just under part time status they calculate your hours yearly if you were under part time status you receive no paid time off even the few full time people sweat their hours because they have health benefits pay raises are twenty five to fifty cents once a year top rate is 13.00 dollars an hour .
Pros
Nice coworkers, relaxed atmosphere, great employee discount 25% can be combined with coupons
yo
Sales/Pricing (Former Employee) –  Daleville, ALDecember 14, 2018
This company was great I made a lot money working there also the people I work for was great too nothing but great words for this company im happy I was part of it
Didn't like it at all
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 13, 2018
The managers were terrible. I was accused of many things i never did. The work wasn't bad. Neither was the work place but the managers were not at all caring.
Horrible environment but ok benefits
senior fabricater (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCDecember 13, 2018
The environment isn’t well and the management could care less about you. The only thing going for the company is its benefits. This company doesn’t care about their employees just only their sales.
Actually a good Retail Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNDecember 13, 2018
Depending on the location your experience can be different. I really enjoyed working at this location. Managers were awesome, employee discount was good, and coworkers were great. Customers were a mix, but enough good ones the bad ones did't matter. Easy to call in sick or get time off. A lot of team work to cover each others shifts and have fun. Managers were realistic about goals and never felt the pressure to sell more.
Relationships with the store manager at some stores determine your success
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXDecember 13, 2018
Younger inexperienced Managers are given opportunities to run stores with little or no experience. If your store manager likes you, it can help your careers whether or not you're qualified.
Pros
Upper management beyond the District Manager is fair
Cons
Some District Managers are horrible along with some store managers
Decent first job, but no room to grow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 13, 2018
First off, it's retail so I did not expect too much from it. Although, it was my first job I was excited and happy to work for the first few months. But, the hours started slowing down, we went through numerous employees the 2 years I was there, and the management was close to terrible. I enjoyed the customer service and interaction as I am very much a people person, but when the customer became a problem or a little bit out of hand the management did little to resolve the issue.
Pros
Discounts, friendships
Cons
Little to no benefits, poor hours
poor management but the people are cool
Merchandising/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ILDecember 13, 2018
the management isn't the greatest but the people you end up working with are pretty awesome. most of your coworkers are nice and the discounts are great. you get up to a 25% discount.
Good basic job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INDecember 13, 2018
Good job, nice people, pay sucks as do most retail Jobs. I enjoyed working there. It gave me the experience I needed to be able to branch out and get a better paying job
Friendly place to work, not bad for retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 13, 2018
This job is a decent retail job. Overall the management is kind and encouraging. There are opportunities to work your way up but sometimes I think they need an official application process for it. Raises are also only about once a year. They are very flexible with your schedule with adequate notice, as long as you can work weekends. Sometimes the job is stressful and you have to be good at multitasking. Overall, it's not a bad company to work for.
Pros
Scheduling flexibility
Cons
Low pay
I'm not exactly sure how to rate this job
Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXDecember 12, 2018
I'm not necessarily sure how you want me to rate this job, since I was fired for a ridiculous issue. I was given full permission from my mother to use those points.
Pros
Fast environment
Cons
Low pay and long hrs
It's Retail
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INDecember 12, 2018
There were good days and there were bad days. The only consistency was what was expected from us- Greeting customers, man the register, and clean up after closing. One thing I did like about working here was that my customer services skills did improve drastically working here, as did my patience. The Management did change a few times in the 2 years working there but the 'Idea' always stayed the same. Coworkers were also hit or miss. There were some that did their part and had a good attitude about it but then there were coworkers that were the complete opposite. This is retail. I didn't hate it but I also didn't love it.
Pros
Great starting point for work
Cons
The inconsistency from day to day
Replinishment/Stocker
Stock Clerk - Merchandise Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WADecember 12, 2018
Working for JCPenney is a fast-paced, and able be flexible hours, its great to work with people that you get along well, I like my hours and insurance benefits as well as PTO and medical leave.
Working for JCPenney
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYDecember 12, 2018
I worked for JCPeneny for three years. I was given 35-40 hours per week. I actually quit my job at JCPenney because I wanted some time off that the company would not give me. I needed to take time off of about several months.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mokena, ILDecember 12, 2018
Fun and fast paced environment. Employees and management staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. Willing to go out of their way to make staff comfortable
Pros
Fun and friendly
Cons
schedule is made out less than a week in advance
work at Jcp, regret it in a week.
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 12, 2018
Worked at Jcpenney for almost three years , hardly called out, always got shifts covered, stayed extra and did my part, rewarded with disrespect and unprofessionalism. WORST MANAGEMENT, never met a less respectful group of people to report to, they had maybe one or two genuinely good managers, the rest found any excuse to sit at their desk and ignore calls from the sales floor. The most enjoyablr part of this job was bonding with coworkers with how impossible it was to work with our managers when they are so uncaring and unprofessional. I watched many people leave because of one particular manger who will disrespect associates and avoid doing their job. Jcpenney will schedule you until 10pm and berate you for not staying until 12am. "You don't leave until the jobs done" they say as we walk through the back door, no you fools i leave when my schedule says i do because if i go overtime by ten minutes I get the backlash not the managers who kept us. They will let you get screamed at by a customer, and do nothing, they would rather you look like an idiot by following the store policy, then come in and do whatever they want against the policy than actually help you suceed in the store. IT IS NOT WORTH IT, I KNOW YOU MAY NEED A JOB BUT THIS WILL BE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU WILL EVER MAKE AND YOULL BE WONDERING WHY YOU DIDNT LISTEN TO ME WHEN I TELL YOU DO NOT GO TO THE INTERVIEW, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AT THIS PLACE FOR 8.40 AN HOUR AND THEN A 30 CENT RAISE AFTER TWO YEARS, 25 PERCENT OFF IS NOT WORTH IT.
Pros
You might get a good deal on shoes
Cons
literally everything else
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CADecember 12, 2018
Good place to start working. Let’s their associates grow in customer service and teaches employees how to grow to become a better worker in any retail stores
Pros
Good managers
Cons
Short breaks
Working part time doing full time work
Cashier/Recovery (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 12, 2018
Coworkers are very nice and help you without asking, but management needs improvement. Since I have worked at JcPenney, management is terrible! They are rude and disrespectful to their employees They do not know how to schedule employees for work and they don't notify you if they make any changes. If you tell them a set time to work they do not follow it. You may work one week then none the next.
Pros
free lunch for special occasions.
Cons
no pay raise, cut hours

56K