JCPenney Employee Reviews

productive and fun workplace with an upbeat positive environment.
Bookkeeper/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 19, 2018
It is possible to learn and grow with JCPenney if the associates' intentions are focussed on the job and on growing their knowledge in and for the company.
Great Place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 19, 2018
The workplace is good there's a lot of good employees but like every job there's some that you should just stay away from. The job is flexible sometimes when it comes to time off and sometimes it's not which can be a pain when needing those days.
Pros
free lunch every now and then
Cons
short breaks
Favoritism & Discounts
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, INSeptember 18, 2018
There are pros and cons about working at my JCP. The hourly associates got along with each other relatively well. There is some background conflict with LODs vs the newer hourly associates. Our store has a limited number of employees which really harms the ability to keep up with the store. There is a quite a bit of favoritism which and extreme pressure for credit applications, this leads to high amounts of stress. On the positive side, you do get a great discount and it is an easy job to get in order to gain experience you may need.
Pros
Discounts, Easy to Get, Friendly Cashiers
Cons
Favoritism, Stressful, Limited Hours, Limited Pay
Experience in retail during the hoildays
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houma, LA 70364September 18, 2018
I was only a seasonal worker hired for Christmas holidays. It was a very flexible job that allow me to do my private sitting . The staff that i worked with was very friendly.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Having to help stay late cleaning other departments
fair
Optical Manager (Former Employee) –  175 YorktSeptember 18, 2018
JC Penney Staff moral is low and the store Manager is either not there and taking another vacation or helping other stores. The staff was cut from full time to part time and little hours. Unless there is a good sale there are little people shopping there. For the optical Department the home Office is being taken over by people from Luxottica and now we are doing things that Pearl and Lens Crafters were doing.. The upper management are the only ones to get pay increase's we have been on Pay Freeze for over 5 Years no matter how good the store is doing.
Pros
Good Discounts, Great Patients and Staff
Cons
low pay, not enough staff to control the patient flow.not enough hours given to get staff.
great
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaSeptember 18, 2018
great place to work loved the environment loved the staff customers were always a plus I really didn't want to write anything but here it goes im ready to leave
Best place I've worked
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CASeptember 18, 2018
JCPenney was a wonderful place to work. Unfortunately, I only worked there for seasonal. It was stressful at times, but I enjoyed every second of it. I learned how to fold clothes properly and how to operate a cash register. Management really showed they cared about me and all my co-workers. Workplace was fun mainly because of my co-workers. The hardest thing about the job is the constant picking clothing off the floor, but it is worth it 100% of the way, because I made a lot of friends along the way and I really enjoyed helping customers with even the most ridiculous requests.
Pros
Co-workers and customers are friendly
Cons
Physically exhausting to pick up a ton of clothes off the floor
It an ok place to work , very demanding for minimum wage
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 18, 2018
I've worked here for over a year and its fluctuated on how they would treat employees. There a few select managers that are very nice and have respect for everybody, others since they are above they just demand.
Pros
occasional work parties or appreciation parties
Cons
short breaks, too demanding
Relaxing for enjoyable
Detail Checker Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WISeptember 18, 2018
It was a fast pace productive work enviornment.
We work together in teams to complete the work that needed to be done.
I enjoyed my years working for the company.
I loved the benefits
I had a very good supervisor.
Pros
I had a great supervisor and me and my co-workers worked great together.
Cons
I miss working for the company.
No Comment
Merchandise/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Great company. People change just about every 6 months or so whether laid off or quit. It is undergoing changes daily so I hope it survives in the retail business.
salon
Hairstylist/Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJSeptember 18, 2018
upper management didnt know how to run salon, salon runs different than the store, we have hands on clients. they made manage do what floor managers had to do.
Pros
nothing
Cons
no breaks long hours, salary no overtime but had to work over 50 hours
JC Penney
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 17, 2018
I worked in a call canter that no longer exists because there is very little need now that people mostly use online shopping and no longer really place catalog orders.
Very productive place amoungs associates
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 17, 2018
Loved working in this store but favoritism was very highly in this store. Customers loved me always asked for me when I wasn’t present. Today I’ve learned a lot and I’m so proud of my self.
Pros
Discounts and ones in a blue free lunch
Cons
No paid vacations, barely communication
Good for older women, alright for teens
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Management seemed to favor older women who worked at the store compared to teens/ college aged associates. For the most part everything was fair except for closing. Certain managers would lock the doors and prevent associates from leaving until 11:30, 2 hours past when we were meant to leave. No one could leave at 9:30 when we were scheduled to leave. We also weren't allowed to have our phones either, so my parents would get worried when it was near midnight and I'd been supposed to end hours before and wasn't picking up my phone. There was a lot of standing and my feet and back almost always hurt. However, the base pay was $8 for me, and I got 20% off on most clothes in store.
Pros
Good pay, discounts
Cons
Hostage situation?
t's easier to stay on top of cleaning so it won't be that much to at the end of your shift. The managers there were very helpful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 17, 2018
The pay was good, people were friendly and helpful. There are resources to learn about systems you don’t understand. Fast paced and always challenging. More people on the floor continuously recovering store so it doesn’t always fall to night shifts.
Pros
"The employee discount was decent"
Cons
"Management would hound you to ensure you were getting enough credit card applications"
Very poor attitude from management. No communication
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA and Tacoma WASeptember 17, 2018
Very poorly run company. Have no idea what is going on. Can't understand how they can stay in business. They will go under. Management has no clue on how to treat employee's or the customers.
JCPenney probably won't be around much longer
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Cookeville, TNSeptember 17, 2018
The company is poorly managed in every way, from corporate management to store management. I'm currently doing the job of an assistant supervisor without any of the extra pay or benefits. Overall, it's an okay place to work, but not a long term sort of thing, especially if you ever want career advancement.
Productive, never a dull moment, loved the people I worked with.
Salon Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Plano, TX 75075September 17, 2018
I loved working for JCPenney. I started working for them in 1994. I worked in the Men's department, the shoe department, a year in the office and the finally the Salon/Spa division. I loved working in the Salon, it was never a dull moment. I learned a lot in the salon, from how to deal with customers to how to manage a front desk. At one point I had 9 receptionists under me to help support the Salon. I helped answer phones, check customers in and out, replenished the inventory, and worked on inputting schedules. It was hard leaving the company.
Too much change too fast!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 17, 2018
Great company until it was decided to reinvent itself. Change was too drastic alienating the core customer base. Trying to win them back has been challenging to say the least.
Productive, fun place to work, great customers
Merchandise Asst. Mngr (Current Employee) –  Colonial Heights, VASeptember 17, 2018
Until new management came things were great. They treated us like slaves and didn’t want to pay us right. Nor did they put people in positions that belonged in them. Too many favorites

55.8K