JCPenney Employee Reviews

It is a joy to work with customers and friendly employees as well
Commission Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 19, 2018
I work in the Home Specialty Department, Selling
Appliance's I am always looking for a customer to great and see
how I can better assist with a home purchase, like a washer/dryer
mattress or custome window coverings
Pros
The break room has drinks and popcorn for employees
Cons
we do not have 1 hour lunch only half hour lunch
Great workplace culture
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Rome, NYOctober 19, 2018
Penny's is all about their people! They help their own, and look out for their own! It's relaxed, and they work with you. It's truly an enjoyable place to work!
Pros
Fast paced environment, Relaxed, Low stress
Cons
low work hours unless full time
Great for younger employees
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDOctober 19, 2018
Only complaint I have is hourly pay could've been better other than that if I had to go back I would in a heartbeat. Really was fun especially during the holiday season.
Pros
Great coworkers and management
Cons
Hourly rate
Good coworkers, willing to work with you and train you
Portrait Studio Seasonal Photographer (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJOctober 19, 2018
While I loved the atmosphere and the teamwork, I was hired for seasonal photographer, and was kept almost strictly on retail which damaged the point of why I applied in the first place. I learned nothing about photography, and since it was closer to the holiday season, I wasn't able to see the kindness and happiness the job had to offer because everyone was stressed, and it was so crowded it only added to the unwelcome "no one is here for me to make sure I know what I'm doing" new-hire feeling.
Pros
Long lunch break, friendly coworkers
Cons
Training was rushed and incomplete
Fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAOctober 19, 2018
I enjoyed working at JCPenney. It was a great work environment with friendly people. Scheduling was the only issue. Many times i had to ask for more hours but they always worked with me to get me more hours. Overall would recommend it. It can be fun when you and your team work together and interact with each other as well as customers.
yes lots of fun at times
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXOctober 18, 2018
Well first every one in my area got alone with each other, we all work to gather fast past.
my job driving the reach forklift load;unload trucks pull orders from rack put up pallets transport from one area to another. we had to inventory every thing in the racks count everything clear the whole warehouse everything out clean the racks top to bottom. I help sometimes unloading the trucks hanging clothes in the trucks drove the Cherry picker pallet jack.
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
15 min breaks
Poor management
Operation Associate (Former Employee) –  NCOctober 18, 2018
Less hour you only get an hour around holidays or your favorite co-workers or backstabbing management sucks and lack of training the pay is not that great you work hard for little pay.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Less hours
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYOctober 18, 2018
I worked with some amazing people, and had an amazing boss who was very accommodating considering I was planning my wedding while working her, so I had several appointment to attend.
Pros
Discount
typical retail posistion
Salon receptionist (Former Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 18, 2018
there is a lot of pressure to sell, but not many people to sell to. dealing with customers is not always pleasant. quick employee turn over rate. also pressure to sign people up for credit cards. the only positive is the people that do work there are pretty cool
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
low pay
dock work is hard work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 18, 2018
5am to 10am unload freight
team work
its a melting pot of different people
this job is not easy. you must work hard and do it all by 10am
meeting new people every day.
Pros
you get to go on break
Loved it
window sales (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 18, 2018
I loved this job would have stayed forever but moved. Was so happy there and made good money in the window department. The best part was the discount!
its a New experience for everyone
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYOctober 18, 2018
A typical day at JCPenney included reaching the credit application limit, recovering the store, and providing customer service.
During my time at JCPenney I have learned to pride good customer service, to treat everyone with respect and just enjoy working somewhere with different cultures.
Pros
one hour lunch when working 8 plus hours
Cons
scheduling hours and availability not respected
everyone is friendly who can have fun with at times
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAOctober 18, 2018
I loved working at jc penny, I always knew when to take on a task and when to help someone else. once I clocked in, usually my area was a mess, so I got straight to work, mainly folding clothes. management was great there, out of three different managers, all of them were understandable and good to have a chat with whenever they would pass you by. if I had to pick the hardest thing about this job, it wouldve been taking on making sure your department is as clean and nice as it can be.
Pros
free snacks, good hours, friendly environment
Cons
fast paced environment
Long days on your feet, small pay
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYOctober 18, 2018
Its a good temp/seasonal job if you are just looking for some quick cash, but no real room for advancement and can't really live comfortably off their salary. Good starter workplace, good place to gain customer service experience.
They were a very good company to work for. They treated their employee great. Their customer service saw terrific.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, FLOctober 18, 2018
I would clock in straighten. Greet every customer with a smile and help them. Take them where the needed to go and find what they needed even in a different department. If someone did not speak English then I would find someone to help them that spoke their language. I would do what ever the manager needed done even if it was in my area. I would ask them to describe what it was if I didn't know what or how to do it. I would stay longer if they were short hand if I was asked to. I worked individually or as a team. If I noticed something was done or priced wrong I would bring it to the manager attention. Most enjoyable part was working with the employees and learning and helping the customers and making them happy.
Pros
Is working with all kinds of customers and employees nationality wise and mood wise, to deal with all the differences.
Cons
The business was in financial trouble and was doing cut backs.
cool job
Retail Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTOctober 18, 2018
not a bad place to work, fun time, fair pay depending on what department you are in. Black friday is bad for any retail place, but still staff works as a team
Pros
easy going
Cons
pay
Never was Promoted even with Employee of the month Awards twice.
Operation's Los Prevention. (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAOctober 17, 2018
Never was Promoted to a salary that would cover cost of living even when holding two Employee of the Month Awards people were evil and rude and disrespectful lieing Corporate Officers when I worked in Operation's and Los Prevention for 7 years.
Pros
None.
Cons
Terrible lieing Employees evil not enough job pay to cover cost of living.
I think the job honestly wasn’t horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJOctober 17, 2018
The job was horrible from start to finish. First of all they don’t even know how to train any of their new employees. The person who “trained” me didn’t do anything. All they were doing was complaining about the job to me and basically I learned everything from doing it myself. All of the managers were very rude and horrible and had no empathy. If someone called out they would think it’s the end of the world. All in all, this is the worst company ever and I highly recommend to not work here.
Pros
Cons
everything
JCPenney is a store i would recommend anyone to shop
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILOctober 17, 2018
I enjoyed working at jcpennney. My coworkers were very nice . I liked assisting customers. I stayed busy putting away merchandise , being a cashier , and helping anyone who needed assistance
Great place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 17, 2018
Great place through and through everyone works together and no one is above helping one another. The managers are very sympathetic and understanding when or if an employee needs time off or is late. I loved working here!

55.8K