JCPenney Employee Reviews

Showing all 20,995 reviews
Fun and Friendly
Retail associate (Former Employee) –  Carson, CASeptember 18, 2019
The experience was fun and offered a lot of opportunities to move up. The coworkers were nice and friendly. They encouraged a positive attitude and trained us for excellent customer service.
Management needs to be switched out.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 18, 2019
The co-workers were fun to work with, and encouraged one another during shifts. Some of management was hostile towards marginalized employees, and made transphobic remarks to an employee on the clock. Most of management tried to maintain working relationships with the employees. The workplace was friendly, and upbeat most of the time.
Mildly managed, and horrible work enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 18, 2019
It was messy almost all the time, so most day we had to recover, recover, recover. And if I'm not working 6 hour shifts, I'm working working 8 hour shifts for 5 days straight, overtime sometimes. I would be exhausted, to the point where I began to start having mini seizures during work without my knowledge due to stress and exhaustion. The toll was one of my coworkers (who was not my higher ups) kept harassing me and telling me how to do my job, even though I've worked there longer. Horrible, will never work there again.
Team work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INSeptember 18, 2019
I worked part time, it worked with my schedule the hours were flexible for me. Manager was great to work with, most employees are great people to work with.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Pay is terrible
Jcp
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 18, 2019
Jcpenney only cares about Jcpenney . They don’t care about your schedule or what you have to do they care about the money and time your bringing in for them.
Pros
Cons
Work Area
It was a good entry level job to gain customer service experience
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CASeptember 17, 2019
The management is good and you get your questions answered. This job helps riase one's confront of servicing customers and handling problems and potential unsatisfied customers.
Pros
15 Minute Breaks
Cons
No benefits
a lot of down time
Master Stylist (Former Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLSeptember 17, 2019
Commission is based on amount of money and customer prices. Hard to build up unless you give them a couple of years. They do provide free in salon classes with great experienced educators.
Pros
some free lunches
Cons
a lot of down time. manager wants us to stock and clean shelves
Productive and fun place to work
Recovery Associate (Former Employee) –  National City, CASeptember 17, 2019
JCPenney was my first job ever and it was great! I met new people and the mangers were nice. They seem a little strict but can take a little humor here and there. My job was to first handle the register and convince people to sign up for the JCPenney credit card. After that, I moved to recovery which I liked better since it was a little less stressful. As a recovery team member, You work with a group of people working on a specific area of the store folding and hanging the clothes. In other words, you had to make the store look presentable again.
Pros
2 breaks, not including lunch
Cons
short breaks, (15 min. each)
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 17, 2019
Held many positions in my years at JCP. The people that worked in each store that I worked in were the difference makers for me. Management was always consistent, making it easier to understand and do my job
Pros
The people i had the opportunity to work with
This job is terrible.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXSeptember 17, 2019
Do not work at JC Penney's, that is as simple as I can put it. The management sucks and no one wants to work here as the company will be belly up in under a year. Employees are either stretched too thin or there are too many and you get left with 10 hours a week. The entire management team at at least at my specific store needs to be replaced. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking with customers and you don't get to do that often other than helping them find what it is they're looking for. The only culture that is at JC Penney's is a sexist one, the entire company brand revolves around helping "her", this is constantly brought up all throughout training as the only thing that matters are the female customers. The stores are dying and rightfully so, I don't know what kind of company JC Penney used to be but in 2019 it is not a good place to work or shop, so stay as far away from it as you can.
Great co-workers, loved interacting and helping customers
Sales Associate - Home, Women's, Men's, Children's (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PASeptember 17, 2019
I learned so much about retail, sales, sales goals at this position
Enjoyed customer interactions and assisting customer with whatever they were shopping for.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Retail hours
JCPennys
Jewelry/cashier (Former Employee) –  Willmar, MNSeptember 17, 2019
There was a lot of miscommunication, non communication, everyone had their own ideas, everyone wanted the " rules" followed but some didn't follow them themselves, lots of favoring of one culture of people. I felt set up to fall a lot! I heard I don't care from several employees. I enjoyed some of the people I worked with! They were super good to me when my brother died them a month later my mother died.
The work days went by good !
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHSeptember 17, 2019
Jcpenny is a good job opportunity for a teenager !! The pay is good and the employees are very nice :) the days went by at a good pace . The customers were very respectful towards me:)
Slow country salon
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCSeptember 17, 2019
Here in Concord the job is slow paced because of the type of clients and stylist that work at this location. Affordable prices and people still want a discount so no real money for the stylist to make.
JC Penney Promenade
Jean Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 16, 2019
Terrible work environment, terrible management, poor hours, all lumped into a dying mall. It may have changed now, but at the time it was poorly managed and the sales were poor.
I hated working here
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  South Jordan, UTSeptember 16, 2019
The management was horrible you always had a continually changing schedule. You could never get days off, you would ge called in and told you were placed on the schedule a few hours before your shift.
Stand for something
Support associate (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 16, 2019
I miss the golden rule. When this company stood for what was right...
It no longer cares for it's customers. How can they be expected to care for their associates?
jcpenney
Stock and pick Leader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 16, 2019
Jcpenney was my first job after graduating high school. i enjoyed working there when I first started. Management wasn't very organized when it came to assigning work to the employees. the hardest part of the job was when they would assign the work equivalent to four people all to one person.
Was Not Worth Applying For
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 16, 2019
Customers were beyond horrible, management was barely existent, the store was chaos, always hiring teens and school kids who didn't care about the job itself and let others who actually needed the job do all the work.

And if you don't get the credits they want, you get written up.
Pros
Clothing discount
Cons
Everything else
Great customer Service
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GASeptember 16, 2019
I have great customer service I work very well with others. I work very hard to achieve my work goals and get the job done. I’m consistent in helping my customers With any problems or concerns. I’m always on time and prompt ready to work. I have a pleasant and friendly tone over the phone. I’m capable of taking up higher roles and responsibilities.

56.5K