JCPenney Employee Reviews

Showing all 19,234 reviews
Please only trust reviews that have been written recently. This is a great company to work for!
Customer Care Representative II, Major Appliances (Current Employee) –  Columbus OhioJanuary 28, 2019
I am a retired school teacher and originally got this job part-time to supplement my pension. I quickly became full-time and plan to work here until (if) I ever decide to retire again.
CULTURE: I love the casual, friendly atmosphere, the incentives for productivity and the attention the management pays to making the employees comfortable and happy with the company. It especially impresses me how quick the leaders are to recognize and reward jobs well done. You don't find this in many corporations. There are many events and fun days during the year including free lunches, doughnut days, etc. The corporation is very caring toward it's employees with an emergency assistance fund, tuition scholarships, etc.
TRAINING:The training is good and all inclusive, although it seems that there could be more refresher courses offered and perhaps the training of seasonal employees might be rushed. However, there are always coaches and more experienced colleagues around that can help answer any questions with a difficult case or call.
ADVANCEMENT: The opportunity for advancement is wonderful as there are always internal job openings posted. In my first year here, my hourly rate was increased by a full $3.81 through these advancement opportunities.
SCHEDULING: The schedule is online and can be accessed from home. It's simple and straightforward to use to request days off, trade days with someone or offer up a shift. When things are slow, there is sometimes Voluntary Time Off (VTO) offered. Since we have a monthly drop of Paid Time Off (PTO), you can choose to use these hours as you desire;
  more... take a vacation, get paid for VTO or days off, etc. The schedule itself is chosen at the time of your accepting the position and is then set with the exception of extra hours during peak season leading up to Christmas.
BENEFITS: The benefits are great. I was able to procure a much larger life insurance policy for a much smaller premium than I had privately. The health insurance is nice, although maybe a bit pricey. It's probably comparable to other employer plans but I'm glad I have secondary insurance as well. There are also many opportunities to win free merchandise, gift cards, etc. through incentive programs.
Basically I LOVE it here and try to tell as many people as possible what a great opportunity JCPenney has to offer.
PS: Just to kill rumors - JCPenney is NOT going out of business. As with many other department stores, low-traffic stores are closing because more and more of our sales are taking place online. We have had some tough times with changing CEOs but we are under great leadership now and only headed up.
Pros
plenty of breaks, friendly supervisors and colleagues, benefits and perks
Demanding at times, but fun
Cashier/Head cashier,Sales assoc,Lead W/dpt (Former Employee) –  La Verne, CA 91750February 14, 2019
I worked in most positions around the store in the 15+ yrs. I was with them. Friendly co-workers, attentive management, stressful and demanding at times, but fun most of the time. The holiday long hrs. were awful, especially before Thanksgiving, and Inventory prep. in the Shoe Dept.
Pros
Health benefits and store discounts was a plus.
Cons
Long hours, and low paid salaries.
Unfair,Boring, and unrealistic place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXFebruary 12, 2019
I worked at a JCPenney inside a mall. I like my Co workers that help me learned new things about that work life. But they are either old retired people or young people who needs a job like me. That’s creates a huge problem or at lease in my JCPenney’s. The reason being is that the manger care about the older people than the younger people. I know that sounds good on paper but it’s not. That means that the older people get more breaks(paid) than the younger people who also worked the same amount of hours or more. Also the manger treats the younger people like dirt or low respected while the older people get praised. They also wants us to keep the place in order. Which it should be. The problem is that the majority of the costumers are the people who flip clothes everywhere or leave clothes or items where they are not suppose to go. Not saying it could look nice but I’m saying that theres gonna be a few spots where costumers flip clothing everywhere. I had one manger that threatened 2 other co workers and me that we would lose our jobs if the place is not “perfect”. By the way that story was on my first week there. We got the place tidy up but then the hordes of customers came and trashed it up again. So we had to do it again. While we where recovering the place the manger came up to us angrily. Saying that “I told all 3 of you guys to cleans the place up.” Then she decided to split us up into different departments. That made me angry and wasn’t expecting that from my first job. Even though my co workers and I did the task. That was also on the same day as the last story. Do  more... mind you that I applied for a cashier position not the clean up crew. The manger thought I wasn’t trained enough to get on the register. I didn’t care I still got on the cash register. I learned through peers and trail and error. There’s a thing call “credit apps”, it when someone signs up for the JCPenney’s credit card. After a few months the manger still dosn’t trust me with the cashier position. Even though I got the most “credit apps” every single day. The manger keeps making the excuse that I am not trained enough even though our goals is to get a lot of credit apps. Not to brag but I got at least 4 everyday. Which is not a lot but trust me it’s a lot when people really don’t want the JCPenney card. The poster when you apply here says that collaboration is key. The problem is that if you talk to another co worker during work then the mangers would get mad at you. Pays kinda bad($8.50 per hour) compare to other retail stores. That was only some of the bad experiences that I had there. But there are some positives to this job. The stories was only about one manager. But there are other mangers too. I only liked 3 mangers out of 7. One manger actually liked me for my hardworking effort unlike that one manger that should not be named.(we call her The Wigs). You do have to work long hours but they do hold the promise of flexibility with hours unless your during the holiday season. That’s it, I just want to say this place is bad for the most part(Big OOF)  less
Pros
Small discount
Cons
Short breaks, bad mangement, bad pay, super long hours, pay bi weekly
fun
Cosmetologist/Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLFebruary 7, 2019
great management good home work balance hours are not great but they are ok pay meets industry standards. good continuing education opportunities good advancement oppotunities
Pros
benifits
Cons
hours
Great Resume Builder
Credit Analyst - Credit Marketing, Private Label (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 14, 2019
JCPenney gives a multitude of opportunities for external hiring into entry positions, but advancement within the company is hard to come by unless you aggressively seek it out. The company is very hierarchy-based and hours are not always flexible, very dependent on which area you work in. I would say the biggest issue with JCPenney corporate culture is a lack of communication and a disparity between departments as far as pay and benefits go.
Do not apply
Cashier and Stock Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAFebruary 13, 2019
The management is HORRIBLE. Good employees are generally treated horribly and overworked with no raises or accolades. Management is very VERY hostile and always looking to let go of associates. I wouldn't recommend this job to ANYONE.
Pros
Great 401k plan, get to meet nice customers
Cons
Petty management treating good workers HORRIBLY
Fun co workers, nice customers
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAJanuary 10, 2019
Management was very relaxed, decent hours, co workers love to help each other. The days went by quickly during the weekend and sometimes during the week. Overall it was a good working experience. The only bad part is the wage. Some of my co workers had been there 3+ years and never saw a pay raise. I started out folding clothes and keeping up with fitting rooms, easy stuff. Then I was promoted to jewelry specialist where I had hours of training, I was responsible for all jewelry in the store, including high end diamonds. I never received a pay raise which seemed odd due to my extensive training and far more responsibility/liability.
Pros
Great People
Cons
poor salary and hours
this store was terrible and had poor management
JC Penny Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INJanuary 23, 2019
I've worked this company before in a different town and thought very highly of it, that's why i decided to work at the one in greenwood. however, to my surprise, it has the WORST management. There is an extreme lack of communication and lack of professionalism.
when it came to be the end of seasonal help, nobody approached me about post holiday scheduling, they just stopped putting me on the schedule. When i spoke with the manager about it, all she had to say was "someone should've told you, i'm sorry about that." I was planning on working at Penneys for a long time, as my both m y mother and grandmother worked for them and always had high praises. until they get new management or learn how to do their jobs, i do not recommend ANYONE to work at this store.
Pros
breaks, lots of freedom
Cons
everything else
Fun Workplace/ horrible pay
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXFebruary 7, 2019
I worked at JCPenney for almost a year and never got a raise. When I started, I had had 2 jobs before working for JCP. I started with a little more than minimum wage, and never got a raise, even though I was told I would before the six months mark.
But then again, it was a good workplace, and the managers were very encouraging.
Pros
good management/ fun workplace
Cons
horrible pay
Very Fun Place to Work, Has It's Ups and Down's
Temporary Ops Associate (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INJanuary 10, 2019
A typical day at work was clocking in at the back register, or finding one in the store to clock in at. Then find which department I worked in for the day. Typically, I worked in the women's department. I would work the register, fold/hang merchandise/clothing, and check the dressing room etc. Most work was common sense and actually pretty enjoyable for me. I was allowed a 15 minute break each shift, which I was not accustom to with any other job. I will say the tricky part was learning all the different things on the register, but that was only a matter of time. After work, or on a day off I could use my 20% associate discount or 25% with my JCPenny Credit Card.

I got along with almost all management/higher ups, which made it probably one of the best entry level jobs I had worked. However one of the higher ups who worked in the department with me, I tend to always be offended by how that person talked. That higher up has a habit of talking down to me, and I have more smarts than what that person may realize. I also got kind of tired of all the teen girls snapping at me and customers. This is work, save the attitude for your mother.

The hardest parts were probably Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas, and New Years. Those were the busiest days. As a temporary associate, I usually work part time, but my hours were doubled on those days. Customers were crazy too. That was the year I missed out on being with my family for those holidays and went home an hour (midnight) later on Thanksgiving than I was scheduled because no other associate or manager could cover the department.
  more...

Other challenges I would say are: trying to catch someone stealing, trying to explain to a customer why their coupon doesn't work, or trying to explain to a customer what the price of something is after you've checked the sign.

As a temporary associate, you made $8.50/hr. There is no benefits, although other associates can receive health benefits. Each time you sell a JCP card, it's referred to as an "ICAP", you will get $2 added to your pay. Management claims that the system automatically collects it, but I can tell you that my pay stubs did not reflect all my ICAP money. Management promises that with good attendance, you will advance and become a permanent associate. After hard work and good attendance, it seems they clearly have a different method of choosing who stays.
Pros
15 Minute Breaks, Simple Tasks, Associate Discount
Cons
Work On Big Holidays, Low Pay, No Benefits, No Job Security
Good discounts but Dead end job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 8, 2019
The only good things about this job were the discounts and the 401k benefit. Everything else needs improvement. Managers constantly pressure you about getting ICAPs, which are hard to sell bc the interest for the card is pretty high and most people don’t shop there enough to want one or they already have one. Our store was always super warm and both employees and customers complained but no one did anything about it. The music is horrible and nauseating, and the same songs play all day long. They act like they are giving you a prestigious job but then treat you and pay you like a high school student. Really bad pay, never been paid so low by an employer. Was promised a promotion and raise that never happened. They call you all the time on your days off. Lastly, they don’t pay attention to your availability at all. They schedule you whenever they feel like. When I got a third job I changed my availability and they ignored it so I had to leave because I make way more and get better benefits at my new job, so it was a no brainer. Be prepared to get talked down to, worked till you are exhausted and be yelled at by customers trying to use expired coupons. Couldn’t get in to clean out my locker quick enough and I worked for 7 months. The week I left, 6 other people also left. They can’t keep people for a reason. Look for a job elsewhere or you might end up miserable.
Pros
401k plan, great discount, coupons for employees, commission on ICAPS
Cons
Short breaks, no healthcare, bad hours, work holidays, poor management, really low pay
Loved but disliked
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 14, 2019
I worked here and I loved management and co workers, only issue I had was the amount of overbearing clothes and work to be done, due to not forcing the mission, they cut my hours a lot to hire seasonals and even then didn’t have enough of a budget to hire as many seasonal associates as they hired, even after seasonal budget wasn’t enough and hours are still short, longest day I’ve had was 7 hours most are 5 or 4 hour shifts and I’d be working for 2-4 days out of the 7 days of the week, and the pay was $10.50 but my only issue is other associates were being paid up to $12 at entry. And others were the $10.50, I got a 13 cent raise when I stayed as a regular from seasonal. Which was great, at the time, I wouldn’t recommend this job.
No flexibility
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  Watertown, NYDecember 27, 2018
Zero room for days off, even family emergencies or general sick days. Management is hardly every seen. No help with advancement and learning. Expectations and duties do not fit job descriptions or pay. Benefits are not great.
Cons
No benefits for part time, pay is not equal to the amount of work done.
Nice flexibility with hours
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 20, 2018
The higher you get in the company the more time you spend in meetings and doing very little else. Which means that if you are a Staff Accountant or lower you get the grunt of work thrown your way.

I have learned a lot from working here, I worked in the General Ledger which I had never really had much experience in before, and also learned about their special Project Accounting system.

Management pays little attention to the people getting the work done, and is very political in who they promote and give awards and raises to. It is more about who you know than what you do.

I have enjoyed the ability to set up my own work schedule and not have a specific 9-5 work schedule.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Too Political
work at Jcp, regret it in a week.
JCPenney Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 12, 2018
Worked at Jcpenney for almost three years , hardly called out, always got shifts covered, stayed extra and did my part, rewarded with disrespect and unprofessionalism. WORST MANAGEMENT, never met a less respectful group of people to report to, they had maybe one or two genuinely good managers, the rest found any excuse to sit at their desk and ignore calls from the sales floor. The most enjoyablr part of this job was bonding with coworkers with how impossible it was to work with our managers when they are so uncaring and unprofessional. I watched many people leave because of one particular manger who will disrespect associates and avoid doing their job. Jcpenney will schedule you until 10pm and berate you for not staying until 12am. "You don't leave until the jobs done" they say as we walk through the back door, no you fools i leave when my schedule says i do because if i go overtime by ten minutes I get the backlash not the managers who kept us. They will let you get screamed at by a customer, and do nothing, they would rather you look like an idiot by following the store policy, then come in and do whatever they want against the policy than actually help you suceed in the store. IT IS NOT WORTH IT, I KNOW YOU MAY NEED A JOB BUT THIS WILL BE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE YOU WILL EVER MAKE AND YOULL BE WONDERING WHY YOU DIDNT LISTEN TO ME WHEN I TELL YOU DO NOT GO TO THE INTERVIEW, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AT THIS PLACE FOR 8.40 AN HOUR AND THEN A 30 CENT RAISE AFTER TWO YEARS, 25 PERCENT OFF IS NOT WORTH IT.
Pros
You might get a good deal on shoes
Cons
literally everything else
JCPENNEY was 1 of my favorite places of employment
Men's Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHJanuary 31, 2019
I actually enjoyed my time at JCPENNEY; the atmosphere was ok,some associates were friendly,some not so friendly, the customers were very friendly, easy to assist with small matters.I actually look forward to going to work on some days,working doubles,etc. I'd be so fatigued but still managed to make it to work on my next scheduled shift. Overall,the experience was wonderful and if given the opportunity I'd do it all over again. A typical day of work for me included buying breakfast, getting dressed, clocking in and attending our morning meetings,then unlocking the doors for the waiting customers.i would then proceed to do my daily duties,which included but were not limited to, assisting customers, ringing the cash register,retrieving online orders,etc.Some days I hated to leave work, others I'd be relieved.the management team was very friendly, easy to get along with.There was never really a difficult part of the job for me, the easiest part of the job was assisting the customers efficiently and thoroughly. The workplace culture was very friendly and tolerable.
Pros
Free breakfast and lunches, perks and benefits
Cons
Insufficient hrs, short breaks
Friendly place to work, not bad for retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 13, 2018
This job is a decent retail job. Overall the management is kind and encouraging. There are opportunities to work your way up but sometimes I think they need an official application process for it. Raises are also only about once a year. They are very flexible with your schedule with adequate notice, as long as you can work weekends. Sometimes the job is stressful and you have to be good at multitasking. Overall, it's not a bad company to work for.
Pros
Scheduling flexibility
Cons
Low pay
Working part time doing full time work
Cashier/Recovery (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LADecember 12, 2018
Coworkers are very nice and help you without asking, but management needs improvement. Since I have worked at JcPenney, management is terrible! They are rude and disrespectful to their employees They do not know how to schedule employees for work and they don't notify you if they make any changes. If you tell them a set time to work they do not follow it. You may work one week then none the next.
Pros
free lunch for special occasions.
Cons
no pay raise, cut hours
Great first job!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 24, 2018
I left because they gave very very little hours, and only payed me 9$, everyone there is nice but making friends was alittle difficult, it is very competitive when it comes to how many i caps you get ( applying people for the credit card) it is very hard to get, but they praise you well for it and with an extra 2$ for every credit card.
Pros
Very relaxed
Cons
Credit card
nice place to work
SR Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 31, 2019
typical day included pulling reports, meeting with comptroller and other duties. management was good and helped advance their employees. the workplace culture was relaxed and organized.
Pros
great benefits, great facilities on site, store discounts

56.1K