In-N-Out Burger Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Fast-paced environment filled with highly coordinated team effort.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAJanuary 27, 2018
A typical day involves a high amount of customer interaction through ordering food, transactions, and helping out customers in need. Food preparation, cleaning, cooking, and drawer counting are the skills that are done on a daily basis.

I learned how to cook and craft burgers and fries, prepare a variety of produce, clean various equipment, interact with customers in a professional and friendly manner, how to operate a register and count drawers, and leadership skills.

Management can be micro-management at times, depending on how your manager behaves. Calling days off is rather lenient, it works as a first-come, first-serve basis. Hours to work have to be requested, and are usually flexible.

The workplace culture encourages high energy, positive vibes, a large amount of teamwork, and high-alert work pace.

The hardest part of the job is that mishaps can happen , and this can affect morale and the speed at which the restaurant operates. While we are suppose to be fast and friendly, meticulous work is demanded to ensure that we do not process an order incorrectly.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that the work is highly enjoyable. While a fast-pace unpredictable environment is not suitable for everyone, it's a challenge that can be fun for those who wants to push themselves to be skilled workers. The people are all friendly who work cohesively and are encouraging to each other.
Pros
Free meals, flexible hours, fun work environment, raises based on initiative
Cons
can be fast-paced, closing shifts gets you off at 2 am, employees tend to call in 'sick'
Fast-paced job with fluctuating foot traffic.
Store Associate (Level 6-Cook)  (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAJanuary 20, 2018
A typical day at work will have you working quickly and having to communicate constantly with your shift team. You will definitely develop a grounded work ethic and good set of communication skills. Management personalities can vary from store to store, but generally always encourage and motivate associates to push themselves and achieve daily goals. The workplace culture holds itself to a high regard compared to most fast food restaurants. But they definitely express that hard work pays off (wage, free meals, company events). The hardest part about the job is how physically stressful it can get. But the teamwork and positive attitudes help you go through the motions. The most enjoyable parts of the job are company held events that allow you to unwind and have fun with your coworkers.
Pros
Free meals, company events, reasonable wage, benefits
Cons
Constantly standing, difficult customers, carpal tunnel
Fast paced environment and serve customers with a smile.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2018
A normal day at work is expecting to smile and be fast faced. I learned how to food prep foods such as vegetables, cheese, and potatoes. The workplace culture was like a high school environment because everyone was so young and full spirited. The hardest part of the job was not getting the uniform dirty because we were wearing all white. The most enjoyable part is serving customers at the register.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
It is a fast-paced but fun place to work.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  National City, CAJanuary 16, 2018
First coming into the store is a little overwhelming due to the fast pace and the rules that are made to help efficiency,but after it becomes easy. The breaks are only ten minutes for a four, five or six hour shift, regardless of the position they are in. The pay is really good but everyone is expected to put in their best and mistakes happen but they stick to a competitive discipline, always trying to go as fast as possible with the best quality.
Pros
store picnics, salary, great people
Cons
only get 10 min break fr for a six hour shift, regardless of extraneous work. Three to four shift managers at a time
fun working
Store Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAJanuary 15, 2018
Overall a good job, hours were very inconsistent due to over employment. I learned how to be a hard working individual in a fast paced area. Management was not so good, however, some managers were fair. The culture overall was great. Hardest part of the job was working kitchen and dining room at the same time. Most enjoyable part of the job was the employees and the customers.
Pros
free lunches, great benefits, and friendly work environment.
Cons
Short breaks, management, and shifts.
A pretty great place to work. Great people with great attitudes
Store associate (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJanuary 7, 2018
In n out is a fantastic company. I've worked at other fast food places and none of them care so much about their quality as much as In n out does. Its fun, fast paced, and you can advance up their ranks quickly if you can show them your skill and dedication. Management is usually great as its a meritocracy. The hardest part of the job is how physically demanding it is. You're basically standing and moving around all the time so much so I've actually lost weight working here. My fellow employees have also complained of back issues from improper body mechanics. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with their positive and outgoing employees. The pay is also pretty great for fast food. I'd recommend In-n-out to anyone that wants a career in fast food or just a job on the side during school.
Pros
Free burgers everyday, essentially unlimited fries. Fast paced work environment.
Cons
stressful, physically demanding, hours can sometimes be limited
great
Cashier/ Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Azusa, CADecember 12, 2017
• Responsible for the operation of store equipment such as slicer, dicers, computer terminals, fryer, grills.
• Accurately handled correct change, demanding mental basic math skills.
• Proved to have the ability to adapt and follow instructions.
Fun place to work. Great for students
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 22, 2017
Excellent job for a first job and for any students. Hours are really flexible and the pay is really good. Start off as being part time but you can work your way up. Favoritism.
Pros
Pay, flexible hours, free burger when you work, advancement
One of the best companies I've had the pleasure to work for.
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2017
In n out is a great company to work for. They are very flexible on working with your schedule. It is a very high speed work environment. It comes with its challenges just as any other job.
It’s a good job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Morgan Hill, CAOctober 15, 2017
Nice job fun workers. Very flexible hours good pay. Not a bad career. But they just don’t move you up to full time worker quickly. I would recommend this job to a friend
Fast paced but fun working environment
Store Associate/Level 4 (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAOctober 3, 2017
When working at in n out there are levels. Each level consists of a new job. You reach each level when a manager feels like you're advanced in the new job you have learned from your level. I really liked working at in n out because they treat you really well with all sorts of benefits. All the employees are very friendly and cooperative with one another. I also enjoyed all the skills I've learned. In n Out definitely taught me to be more of a people person.
Pros
almost everything
Cons
Never knew when you were gonna get off work
Fast paced environmeny
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 30, 2017
I learned how to be a leader and help others in the in n out community. Some days are long, but with being busy times can go by fast. I learned patience.
fast paced
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 29, 2017
the job required a lot of work for a fast food place. great employees with great attitudes. focused and very customer friendly. great with raises and training
One of the best places i have ever worked
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 27, 2017
I'm a student, so don't take it to heart. The corporate culture is very compassionate, and they provide you extensive training. Managment is great, no complaints. To succeed here, you need to work as a team.
Pros
Free burger for every shift
Fun place to work at with really fun, nice people.
Level 4 Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 21, 2017
Working at in n out has been a very fun experience for me, I love working with all of my friends there. We keep stressful situations very calm and as stress free as possible. The managers are great and treat everyone fairly. Overall a great company to work for.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Challenging, Dynamic, Upbeat Worklpace
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Grapevine, TXSeptember 9, 2017
In n Out is a great place to work if you're willing to work hard everyday. If you're not punctual, dedicated, and hard working, don't apply to work here, you won't last. If you do have those qualities, it is a very rewarding job with great, clear opportunities for raises and or managerial advancement.
Pros
Free food
Cons
A lot of work, short breaks
Fast paced but still enjoyable
Sales Associate/Team Member (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 8, 2017
Because it was so popular of a chain, there were few instances that I can count as "slow days". The co-workers are the best part of the job though. I know they helped keep me sane throughout everything. You get thrown into the deep end pretty quick, but it's not a bad way to learn. I surprised myself with how quick I picked everything up. All in all it's a great opportunity to grow and learn.
Pros
One free meal everyday
Cons
Short breaks and always hectic.
Best First Job
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAAugust 8, 2017
I really enjoy working at In-N-Out! You meet such great people and create real relationships with customers. It is fast paced but time flies when you're having fun.
Fun work place
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, CAAugust 8, 2017
usually we are always a busy store due to the fact that we are located in the heart of Hollywood. I have learned to not stress out when it busy, to just focus on making the customer happy.
Pros
The people there are so friendly
Cons
short breaks
exception and great quality service all around
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2017
in n out burger is an outstanding foundation. they take care of their employees and include many benefits. they care about the quality of their food and service. they are enjoyable people always cheerful, really enjoyable and environment to learn about a business and great experience with customer service.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at In-N-Out Burger. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5