Google Employee Review

It can be tough to be a temp staff
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  SingaporeApril 28, 2018
While it's great to have access to a Google office and work alongside Googlers, it can be painful to be reminded that you're a 'lesser' employee when office announcements often contain 'for FTES* only'.

However, Google is a big company; each team can be very different with each other so one's experience can depend on one's team. After a restructuring, my team's new management is horrible to us, temps. Due to large volumes of turnover, our most senior manager finally met us personally with apologies and promises to fix things.

Lo and behold, we all were served with a layoff notice via email a few weeks ago because the management has turned the team's model into that of vendors so all the temps will be out by the end of the year. We weren't warned before this and when people voiced out their anxiety with the aforementioned manager, she was taken aback and surprised with our reaction as she thought the news wasn't a big deal and >6 months of notice is more than sufficient. Such is the lack of empathy and connection between temps and the highest management of my team. Fyi, all the improvement measures would be thrown out the window with this change as well.

*Full time employees.
Pros
Free lunch, you get to work at Google and with Googlers
Cons
You will be treated differently

Other Google Employee Reviews

Good
Marketing Campaign Specialist (Former Employee) –  SingaporeJuly 29, 2019
Great futuristic company. Fun environment. Young bright minds to work with. Open culture and focused on productivity. Life is good and one can learn from all angles, all tiers.
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  CBDDecember 6, 2018
As a contractor, you are not expected of much performance at the same time can't excel much for career advancement. Contract agents will get you in with a lower pay in the brand name of Google. Just need to be tactful on that.
Pros
Free food, flexible working (WFH)
Cons
Contractors' separation from Googlers. Could be bullied at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Google. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3