Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews for Cashier

fun workplace
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Galax, VADecember 14, 2017
I loved working at goodwill, the managers were caring individuals and so were my coworkers. The actual work we had to do could be tuff at times but if you had a hard time meeting your goals they were very understanding and actually stepped in to help when needed. The hardest part of the job I would say is processing the clothes because some people donate gross things that even with gloves you don't want to touch. Every month we would have a party and we would decorate and dress up to a certain theme, this was my favorite.
Pros
coworkers, insurance, and hours
Cons
digging through peoples donated things
Hated working there
Associate/cashier (Former Employee) –  Ellsworth, MEDecember 12, 2017
Goodwill is a awful place to work. They only care about numbers and not there employees, if a high school student wanted a job don't go to goodwill they wont work with you on a schedule to work with school.
Fun Atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 11, 2017
Every day was a fun day with my coworkers and helping customers find specific items. Enjoying the discounts that were offered. Very busy 50% off sale days and seeing the used items come in.
Pros
discounts
Cons
nothing
Excellent place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVDecember 11, 2017
People are very caring and have a big hear to boot. There are a lot of great programs that the company support and they have been amazingly supportive to me in my time there
Quick pace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 6, 2017
I.T was okay my least favorite honestly management was never sure of anything they never kept up with one another overall very good pricing easy work.
Fast-paced, but rewarding
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INDecember 2, 2017
A typical day consists of running racks, cleaning out fitting rooms, conducting transactions, and interacting with customers. Management is adequate, and they are very understanding. The workplace culture is quite close-knit, and the majority of us get along well. While working at Goodwill, I have learned how to run two racks in an hour, the proper way to clean a fitting room, how to run these particular registers, and stress management. The most difficult parts of the job have been long hours on my feet, rude customers, and the frustration of interacting with said customers. The most enjoyable part of my job has been my coworkers, including my managers. They are all fabulous people.
Pros
Great coworkers, great music on speakers
Cons
Short breaks, rude customers
Most recent managers were cutthroat
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 2, 2017
I enjoyed working with my co-workers & the customers were very happy with me because I was always willing to help them but most of the managers were sneaky and cutthroat. They were always trying to find ways to take advantage of their workers. If you had to go to the restroom they would make that your 15min break and you would not even get your lunch break unless you demanded it but they would deduct the half hour so the top management did not know.
Pros
Friendly co-workers & customers
Cons
They were always trying to cut your hours and usually looked for excuses not to give you your breaks
Good people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORNovember 30, 2017
Goodwill was ok to work at. The employees were very friendly and helpful. If you're not a people person, might be best to work in the back as a labeller/stocker/sorter.
its a job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 30, 2017
can be hard days like no help. You learn that the job mite not be for you. Management needs to communicate better. hardest part coming in to a mess and enjoyable part is getting off.
Fast work environment, but under staffed so extra working
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 29, 2017
I enjoyed the job and the atmosphere, but being under staffed and working as a cashier was hard work. What made the job manageable were the customers and my coworkers.
Pros
Learn to work fast paced
Cons
Cant shop day you work
fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York StateNovember 26, 2017
the work was nice soft pace the staff was good some times we had language barrier we did not speak same language manager and team so i had to translate a lot but it was fun the hardest part of the job was when client where not able to communicate properly the best part where the workers
Pros
good people
Cons
language barriers
great place
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, NYNovember 20, 2017
great customers, horrible management, good hours, good discount, good stuff good mission just horrible horrible manager when I worked there. I'm pretty sure she hated her job
decent starting job work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wintersville, OHNovember 19, 2017
This job is okay unless you like an air conditioned or heated work place. The management is fairly decent. The hours are steady. Many people fill the environment with drama.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
dramatic employees
Fat paced and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 19, 2017
A typical day consisted of working the floor, assisting customers, keeping thins in order, and stating on your toes. I learned valuable customer communication skills. Management was enjoyable to work with and orderly. Workplace culture was fun and supportive. Staying on my feet the entire day. Getting to know the customers and hear about their lives.
Pros
Working with the customers
Cons
Staying on my feet all day.
Fun and Laid Back
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, MNNovember 17, 2017
It was a great high school job! I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the environment and all of my coworkers. I now am looking for something a bit more professional.
Pros
Hours
Cons
availability
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Batesville, INNovember 16, 2017
I enjoyed my time at goodwill. The people and customers are friendly the work is not very hard but there is always something to be done. We would start the day by filling shelves with stock before we opened. Next we would get our registers I order for the day. Then we would open and though out the day we would sort clothing since we are only allowed to keep clothes on the rack for a short time period the tags are color coded so we would have one color tag to pull and send out those clothes each week
Pros
Easy, good hours, friendly people
Cons
Requires a bit of lifting
very stressful & unprofessional
Cashier/warehouse (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 16, 2017
Goodwill are not who they claim to be. they fire good people & can't keep a good management team. overall they will give you a job then cut your hours too.
Pros
free food often
Cons
shady
I liked working at good will.
cashier (Former Employee) –  The Dalles, ORNovember 15, 2017
I liked working at good will. The people there were amazing and it was a fun place to work. I was happy to go to work every day and see my co workers. And the mangers we goo to.
No Benefits
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FLNovember 14, 2017
Started out as a part time at the Port St. Lucie West store as a cashier, never missed an day never late and after six months moved up to full time. So after a year no paid time off no benefits I had to find better employment for myslef
Poor pay, difficult working conditions but excellent managment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newberg, ORNovember 9, 2017
It was a corporate culture problem, deffinately not a local management issue. They did their best with the guidelines that were provided from corporate
Pros
good store management
Cons
non consistent schedule, couldn't make plans, stressful, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.