Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Very hot conditions, fans and water bottles were not allowed.
Material handler (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 8, 2018
We had to hope they would give us water each day. Some days we didn't have water to drink. Had to work 4 hours before we went to break. Felt like a prison instead of a job.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Hot, no water, worked Saturdays, treated like criminals
Prodductive work place.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 8, 2018
The purpose of the company is really high- minded, however the administration team is in many of the ocassions very restricted according to the employees shifts.
slow easy going environment
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 8, 2018
open close store, customer service, cash handling, go through merchandise that is donated, put clothes up in proper area, price items and place on the floor to be sold
Pros
not really any pros
Cons
you couldnt buy from your own store
Solid Company with Good Culture
Re-Entry Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 8, 2018
GWSV is a solid company with good leadership. I have no complaints about leadership or operations. Overall, I have had a positive experience and I recommend GWSV to anybody.
Pros
Cafeteria on site, full benefits
Cons
Short lunches (30 minutes), Low pay
Fun Place to work
Production Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clinton, IAOctober 8, 2018
Goodwill was a fun work experience. The mangers and personnel were nice and friendly. The work environment was stress free. there is opportunity for advancement for full-time employees.
Pros
good co-workers, stress free
Write your hours down.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 8, 2018
Great job to start with. But I was a part time employee and worked over some weeks over 70 hours plus 7 days a week. I never got my vacation hours nor did I get benefits that a full time status employee shoukd have gotten.
Pros
A job
Cons
Not thankful.
Great co workers
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bedford, VAOctober 8, 2018
The hardest part of my job was finding good help that would stay on the job because of low pay to start with
The best part of my job was working with a great team that I had put together
Pros
Great team
Cons
stressful
Nice Company but changes needed
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 8, 2018
- Day to day it's a good place to work
- soft skills
Management is so-so
- Customers are rude when it comes to prices (worst part)

- employee recognition
Cons
short lunch breaks
very interesting place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, WVOctober 8, 2018
worked there many years, enjoyed fellow employees, seeing new items daily, great benefits, however stores become cluttered in processing areas and prices went out the roofs. cant really afford to shop there anymore cause they want new prices for used merchandise.
Pros
christmas bonus
Cons
clutter
pleasant work environment
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 8, 2018
You will always meet new people, new cultures and people to help. Here you enjoy sharing directly with clients, managing different situations and managing stress. Personally I had the opportunity to work with an excellent principal Manager, of great human quality and smile. Apart from the position that one plays, you have to clean the bathrooms and areas in general, perform other functions. The payment per hour is very little and the rotating and not fixed schedules, you can not plan to have two jobs or other activities. The benefits are very good.
Pros
the benefits
Cons
rotating schedules and low pay
Company ok, but my particular division wasn’t
Community Reintegration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 8, 2018
Goodwill was a decent place to work, but the director over my particular program I was assigned to was horrible. He talked about staff with other staff. Had meetings that did everything, but uplift the team. He sent long, grammatically incorrect emails constantly complaining how staff was unprofessional, etc. Not to mention the program had a very high turnover rate. I left because I was promised a promotion, which never happened, but instead two additional people were hired that the director thought I was going to train.
Pros
Goid Company with Long History
Cons
The Director
And A place that actually trumps Wal-Mart, huuum goodwill!
Processor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2018
Retail can be bad, but this place is just a step below the landfills and recycling centers. People literally come there to dump the trash they no longer want from there storage. Con 1.
On the management level most of them are weirdos, who want to feel as if they are more powerful than they are. Basically I have nothing positive to say about this place other than they provide persons with disabilities jobs.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
The whole place
Productive and easy to work with the employee
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WA 98003October 7, 2018
Goodwill is a great companies because their helping a lot of people specially people with barrier to employment go to work by providing jobs training and educational opportunities.
Pros
Free lunch sometimes during the sale day
Cons
Insurance benifits not good
There are much better options
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAOctober 7, 2018
Management is a mess. Merchandise is dirty and a lot of it is thrown away every week rather than donated. Over priced. Depressing work environment. Lots of theft.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Everything else
Diverse workplace where it’s easier to pick up on multiple job duties
Grader (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 7, 2018
Diverse workplace where it’s easier to pick up on multiple job duties. Manager wasn’t great. She was new and let people get away with things. She was trying to build moral but for me personally it put a friendship of mine with a covworker in a bad spot. She had favorites. Too busy trying to be a friend and not a boss
Review for Goodwill
Cashier/Retail (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 7, 2018
I loved working there. It was a great learning experience. There was a lot to do while no one was in line. I liked how everyone was friendly with each other.
Pros
Meeting new people
All around foul place of employment
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNOctober 7, 2018
I began working for Goodwill Of Middle Tn in January of 2018. I can look back now and see how blindsided I was in the beginning. From stingy self-serving supervisors to cheating and misleading double-crossing co-workers, I was in for quite a ride that I soon wanted to get off of. Donations were not handled with care and were constantly being broken in the back. Employees going through the donations first and setting aside what they want. District management is weak. Very shady company. Very.
Pros
Seeing neat items come through, friendly customers
Cons
Very Poor business practices, Low pay, Short or no breaks, Little advancement
worst job in existence
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 7, 2018
if you are not a felon or have no criminal record; make this the last possible place to work for, because you will be treated as if you are one. the clearance corner is worse than any of the others stores. you are always behind on your work no matter how hard you work and they expect you to work to the fullest 100% of the time. extremely high stress and fast pace environment. expectations far exceed the pay. you come home after every day of work beyond exhausted. you constantly having to do work by yourself that should not be done by yourself like moving large pieces of furniture. there are constant issues between the 2 halves of the store which harbor animosity for both sides. they don't give constructive criticism but instead, tell you to do it one way and then proceed to yell at you about you doing it wrong or just do the ladder and expect you to know how they want it done. they take the term micromanaging to the extreme; to a point at which you have to ask a manager to get just about anything done at all. the only good thing about this job is that it is full time.
Pros
full time
Cons
too many to list
Re-Entry
Donation Processor (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAOctober 6, 2018
If your felon just returning home its a start, if you get SSI its good for increasing benefits, sad though that others who are nt felons make about a dollar more
Cons
good
Property Trainee Officer (Former Employee) –  Tsuen Wan, New TerritoriesOctober 6, 2018
the manager is very nice the job is easy the property management is very interesting
Pros
easy
Cons
low salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

54.6K