Goodwill Industries Employee Reviews

Good environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Floyds Knobs, INFebruary 19, 2018
Mostly ran register, put away new product and kept main floor cleaned up. Management is great and lots of teamwork, decent work environment. Most days are enjoyable.
Corporate Non-Profit Environment
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 18, 2018
Generally conservative employees at corporate office. Overall, friendly, kind, and pleasant. Fairly disconnected, disorganized management of the business and departments. Communication flow is challenging.
Pros
Discount on donations
Cons
Terrible benefits
ok
clean bathroom and clean table (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 18, 2018
hi david forbis I going to work good will and like to work other people and like to help cean rest room and put tuble and help get stuff out car and to the
Pros
i do not no
Cons
i do not no
Okay i guess
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIFebruary 18, 2018
it was a good place to work when i first started, they always have something for you to be doing so you wont get bored, pretty easy place to work, just putting clothes and items away, checking people out and then cleaning the store. pretty easy
Awful company to work for
Cashier and Processor (Former Employee) –  Longwood, FLFebruary 18, 2018
Management was not supportive at all. They pay less than minimum wage but charge the most for all donated items. Would not recommend working for this company to anyone.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Work you to death for less than minimum wage
productive
Third key/management (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYFebruary 18, 2018
on most days working here was very easy. but it all depends on who your bosses are and how they treat you. hardest part was going through donations. most enjoyable part there were none lol
Stressful with poor management
Driver/Warehouse Manager *Company (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXFebruary 18, 2018
Wouldnt work there again. Head of out location was a dope fiend who was constantly having to hire new employees cause the turn over rate was 96%. The employees pretty much had to run the store themselves. How that location has lasted so long I honestly do not know.
didnt like it
Donation Center Attendant (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, WIFebruary 17, 2018
the environment was dull, walking in there felt energy draining. the employees was fun and nice though. i liked the managers they were nice. and the location was too far.
Really good starting job
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 17, 2018
It’s a really good starting job for someone in retail . They offer good benefits now , they classify it as working more than 30 hours for benefits even if your part time but work more than 30 hours your qualified
Fast paced quite often
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Greendale, WIFebruary 17, 2018
As a donation attendant the main duty is to assist the customer. There is a bell that rings when a customer pulls in and we have to react to that bell. It is generally a decent place to work unless it gets too busy and we can't keep up, then managers begin complaining about what IS NOT done (grin and bear it).
Pros
Trying to think of one.
Cons
For me it was location, took me close to two hours travelling on public bus.
It was a good learning experience
store assoicate (Former Employee) –  Fitchburg, WIFebruary 17, 2018
the job had it ups and downs I went through 6 store mangers in the 3 years I was there. I like the people who I worked with. It had a lot of turn over.
Pros
we got to wear packers and badger stuff
Cons
I didn't like being let go
Good company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth GeorgiaFebruary 17, 2018
There was a lot that they done they help families get medical equipment and furniture for their houses if someone came in and needed clothes they would help them get some clothes they have fair prices and honest workers I would love to work for Goodwill again in the future but be farther up in the company so that I could help more people
It was a job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 17, 2018
Horrible company to work for.Low pay means high turnover.It was just a job to me, nothing more.It is a female dominated work culture which puts men on the receiving end of discrimination.It was a job and nothing more.
Pros
Met interesting people
Cons
pay and advancement
Stressing
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 17, 2018
The work place was filled with gossip, the manager was not professional always crying or talking about her body. The assistant manager would make out with the cintas guy in the bathroom, donation attendants were on drugs.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Gossip, poor management
good benefits
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Warr Acres, OKFebruary 16, 2018
I love my job but they are not appreciative of what you do for the company.You go out of your way and they just don't appreciate it or even say thanks for a job well done.
Pros
Pto, Paid vacation, customers and associates
Cons
non appreciative
it was good before the new manger got their
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 16, 2018
they gave you the full 8 hours, and when I need to go out of town they gave me the time off that was need. when the new store manger was their when I was she was giving the new employee what ever shift they wanted.
Pros
good hours
Cons
their was to much favoritism
Fun place to work
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYFebruary 16, 2018
Great place to work if you have no prior experience anywhere else. Fun place to learn the working basis. I would reccomend to anyone. Good pay, good hours.
Pros
Fun
ok place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILFebruary 16, 2018
enjoyed working with people and supported the company mission
most of my co workers were pleasant and the work was fairly easy
management was supportive
I can't say if this is what it's like at many Goodwill locations, or if it was just mine
Donation Attendant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MIFebruary 16, 2018
It's hard to work for a company when you can't take any pride in what you do.

At the location I was at, the store and backroom were almost always in a constant state of disarray; little organization and a whole lot of clutter. Shelves were impossible to manage because there was no rhyme or reason to items being put out, as well as customers routinely coming in and having zero respect for the products for sale. Breaking, stealing, making a complete mess - children, and many adults too, basically saw it as their own public play place. It's a charity, so the standards aren't exactly high, but I often felt embarrassed even being there and over time grew more and more frustrated trying to bring any order to the chaos.

I learned early on to never touch anything in the store without gloves. Most items donated were of poor or questionable quality (we often received boxes and bags that had been out in garages or attics for years and were covered in mouse feces), as people generally do not care what they give, only that they're rid of what they don't want. In a sense it's like being a garbage collector for the community, only you're a trash collector that has to sort through it all and hope there's worthwhile items that can have a .99 cent sticker slapped on.

Management, with a few exceptions, was generally terrible all around. Very little transparency with employees and completely awful communication. No one was ever on the same page when it came to policy or happenings in the store. Thanks and praise from management was also incredibly rare - to the point of non-existence.
  more... I was there a few months shy of a year, and in that time I saw almost every employee replaced, (either quit, stopped showing up, or were fired) save for a VERY small handful of people.

And on top of it all, the pay was poor. I was hired in making .35 cents over minimum wage, but then when Michigan raised the wages for 2018, our extra .35 cents was deemed not worth saving. So I actually ended up making less by the time I left instead of making more.
Pros
Paid holiday, vacation and sick time, co-workers
Cons
Poor management, poor overall pay, poor employee retention, cluttered and dirty store/work environment
Good for a first job or retired person
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Athens, TNFebruary 16, 2018
This was my first actual job and it was great to start out on but is not a long term solution. There was little to no room for promotion and no chance of a pay raise.
Pros
Relaxed work enviorment
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goodwill Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

53.9K